2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Saison Athene - Saint Somewhere Brewing Company

Saison AtheneSaison Athene

Saint Somewhere Brewing Company visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Saison Athene is a bottle conditioned Saison brewed with chamomile, fresh rosemary and black pepper. A dose of wild yeast at bottling adds to the complexity.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-29-2007)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Ratings: 393 | Reviews: 287 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by Patrick999:
Patrick999

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Found an updated bottle, with the better cork, and hopefully no lack of carbonation problem. This time, upon opening, the cage broke, so I kinda had to cut the wire. No matter, the cork came out easily with a nice pop...and what's this, some good bubbles as well! All right, now we're talking. I'm happy to rescind my prior negative review.

A - Pours a slightly cloudy gold with a nice crown of foam. There's even some nice lacing. It's not Saison Dupont in the looks department, but it is a vast improvement.

S - Has the crisp, light hoppy aroma I expect from a saison, as well as a little mustiness. Wet earth and a touch of pepper.

T - This is the excellent taste I remember from the flat Athene I had. Take the typical peppery, dry, lightly funked saison, and add some of what comes across to me as pumpkin pie spicing. I taste nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, orange peel - it's basically pumpkin pie without the pumpkin. Maybe it's the power of association, but I swear butternut squash or pumpkin is hinted at as well. Spices linger in the finish.

F - Again, a vast improvement. Maybe not still *as* sharp as the standard-bearers of the style, but not a whole hell of a lot to complain about if you ask me.

D - A Florida brewer that likes to make my favorite style. Like the Lectio Divina, I feel that this is nudging for a spot at the table among the heavy hitters. It's great to have such an up-and-coming brewery here in the state of Florida. Oh, lest I get carried away with the platitudes, the beer is drinkable. Might be too spicy for some - it's a little "out there." This isn't a benchmark saison along the lines of Saison Dupont or Hennepin. It has more in common with a very spicy Fantome, IMO.

I realize it now. This brewery could be the Southeast's very own Jolly Pumpkin.

04-18-2008 21:02:39 | More by Patrick999
brewdlyhooked13

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance - the cork blows with focus and intent, upon cork inspection I see this is a 2009 vintage. Foam starts rising up the neck immediately. Pointing it towards a sampling glass, I barely can hold the flow, but by the slimmest of margins the glass contains the beer's exuberance. The beer is a slightly hazy macro lager color with *plenty* of suds. After the head subsides, the lacing is ropy and plentiful but not overwhelming. The bottle continues to push out foam for a minute or two until I get a good 6 or 7 ounces into the glass.

Aroma - slightly soapy, slightly funky...like a janitorial bucket of cleanser. Saisons for me are still a challenge to enjoy/appreciate.

Taste - lemony, soapy, dry wine-like notes. Plenty of intensity as far as flavor goes. I just find some of the flavors hard to get into. The lemony side is fine, but the funk and solvent come across as Pine-Sol and lemon juice. Despite that, it is fairly enjoyable given my personal alignment with the style and I welcome the prospect of trying to finish the bottle solo.

Mouthfeel - plenty of bubbles, refreshing body, well done here.

Overall - with some palate adjustment and mental preparation for a 'winey' beer, this is an eye-opener for a tasting, or a fitting session for someone into the tartness and such of the style.

04-12-2014 05:11:34 | More by brewdlyhooked13
dsigmon

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

04-11-2014 22:46:04 | More by dsigmon
Barnsley

04-07-2014 19:01:16 | More by Barnsley
msquared36

3.06/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Corn yellow with a little haze. Minimal head and lacing.

Herbal aroma, rosemary and thyme. Hint of fruit, maybe apricot. Lingering funk.

Taste is predominantly a lemony funk. Herbal taste is noticeable but not as much as the scent.

Carbonation best described as fizzy.

Wasn't a fan at first, however, it grew on me as I worked my way through the bomber. Glad to have tried it. Not sure I'll find my way back to it though.

04-06-2014 01:19:07 | More by msquared36

Washington

02-07-2014 04:04:33 | More by beer-me-please
mobius387

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

appearance: bright golden yellow, big bubbly white head, looks amazing

aroma: funky funk funk, its a heavy hitter, unfortunately not much else there, lacking any fruity or citrusy tones i was hoping for.

palate: medium body, medium carbonation, medium booze, very drinkable for a 7.5% saison

taste: much lighter than the nose, i do get some rosey flavors, grassy notes too. decent finish

overall: an enjoyable experience, a decent amount of robustness, and pretty drinkable overall

02-03-2014 18:29:50 | More by mobius387

TheDoak

11-17-2013 02:19:54 | More by TheDoak
zeledonia

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A brewery specializing in saisons? How can I say no. Picked up on a trip to Florida, though I realized after that this is distributed to my state. Tasted 30 September 2013.

Pours a hazy pale golden-straw yellow, with a massive frothy white head that would overtop the glass if I didn’t stop my pour. I can see just far enough into it to make out the eruption of bubbles throughout the glass. Head lasts and lasts (come on, I want to drink my beer!). And the lacing is more like a coating of foam sprayed onto the walls of the glass. Wow.

Smell is fantastic. Funky and floral, oh, man. This is about as good as it gets, with different aromas dancing with each other. Like mixing a bouquet of flowers with the earth they were grown in. Stellar.

Taste is more straight-laced, without the spunk and funk of the smell. Crisp and clean, grainy with a heavy dose of flowers, like sucking on petals. Mildly bitter in the finish. Nice.

In line with the appearance, bubbles are the name of the game. But they’re not overdone, like just enough of them got released in that explosion on the pour. Light-bodied, quite light actually, and that high carbonation is just right, sizzly and then fading to a slick finish.

This is a really solid, heavily floral saison. Reminds me somewhat of Upright’s Flora Rustica, but with better balance. I'll be drinking more of this.

11-02-2013 03:02:07 | More by zeledonia