Saison Athene - Saint Somewhere Brewing Company

Saison AtheneSaison Athene

Saint Somewhere Brewing Company visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Saison Athene is a bottle conditioned Saison brewed with chamomile, fresh rosemary and black pepper. A dose of wild yeast at bottling adds to the complexity.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-29-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Athene Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from the bottle on 6/6/08. Thanks to Deuane for breaking this one out to share!

A - Cloudy golden/straw-colored body with sparse white head that receded into a patchy film.

S - Bold cinnamon aroma with an apple cider aspect featuring hints of dessert spices and pie crust. Extremely spicy nose with no noticeable hop presence. Some sweet and bready malts emerge as the liquid warmed up.

T - Tart apple cider flavor with spicy cinnamon and some underlying clove and nutmeg notes. Malt is primarily bready and sweet. Not a lot of funk in this farmhouse ale.

M - Light to medium body with a watery texture and moderate carbonation. Spicy mouthfeel imparts a numbing quality on the tongue.

D - A little too spicy and sweet for my personal tastes. However, this would go well with a slice of apple pie!

ffejherb, Jun 08, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a very hazy, basically opaque, straw gold, a small bright white head fades quickly. Aroma is some nice soft spices, grassy, some pepper and some lemony and honey sweetness. Taste follows with a nice spiced bready flavor up front some lemon comes in along with a little ginger and some grassy dryness blends with some honey swetness in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium in body, some pepperiness on the tongue and a small amount of dryness in the finish. A very nice and refreshing saison. For some reason I think the sweetness was getting to me as I may have liked something drier, but this does not detract from the beer, another day I would prefer it sweeter. Love the sediment from bottle coditioning, hopefully I can score another of these to cellar for a year or two. Huge thanks to Brent for hooking me up with this bottle.

hoppymeal, Jun 07, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Courtesy of Beerlando: Poured a light dirty yellow color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of funky yeast is easily detectable and quite enjoyable. Taste is also dominated by the funky yeast but it is not as dominant as the aroma would suggest. Nice Belgian type malt base is also noticeable but hops presence is hard to notice. Body is quite full with some good carbonation and alcohol is not apparent.

Phyl21ca, Jun 04, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Upon de-caging the 750, the cork immediately shot out with a loud pop and a hard bounce off the ceiling. Wowza, that one could have put an eye out.

Pours cloudy gold with a porous head of an inch that fell quickly. Not much for lacework and retention was short, giving way to a partial skim-coat.

Aromatics lead off with a blast of pineapple-laced brett, lime pith, crushed juniper berries, and peppercorns.
Lemony tart and spicy. Plenty of clove, menthol, and lemongrass.

Light bodied and crisp. Dry with a slightly rounded honey-like edge.

Starts slightly sweet on the pallet, which quickly gets crushed by lemon and lime pith.
Mint, lime oils, ginger, and white peppercorns follow through. Almost medicinal in nature, ala Vick's vapor rub.

Finishes quite spicy and warming on the back of the throat.

This ones pretty wild and funky in the nose, but the spicing is overdone on the pallet, which detracts from the drinkablity.
Maybe some extended cellaring would mellow this one out.
I was told that this is the latest batch also, so I would say it is quite fresh.

brewandbbq, Jun 02, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

25.4 oz. bottle, had about 10 oz. courtesy of chefscott79, thanks again Scott, bottled on date of 10/07,

A: Pours a cloudy yellow, with a thin white head, spotty lacing.

S: Honestly it smells like lemon-lime Gatorade, light spice, enjoyable smell, but weird out of a saison.

T: Continues with the lemon soda/ginger ale profile which dominates the taste buds. Spice enters more into the scene than in the smell with a corinder, cumin, peppery flavour, different than any saison I have ever tasted.

M: Light-bodied for a saison, watery at times, soda-like, spritzy.

D: As a saison it's average and different. My first beer from this Floridian brewery, would try again if I could ever get my hands on another bottle.

Halcyondays, May 27, 2008

Got this one as part of an awesome 80's BIF package. Thanks Jw347!
Hazy straw yellow with a fluffy, bright white head. Clumpy lacing was left behind as the foam slowly receded to a thin cap. Herbal aroma with coriander and cinnamon, quite grassy with a hint of lemon. Fruity apple notes too, maybe some nutmeg and white pepper, quite spicy. More of the same in the flavour, though the spiciness is more restrained early on and contributes more to the finish. Fruity up front and into the midpoint, then hay and grass took over, just a bit of funk too. Finished with a hint of alcohol and lingering peppery spice. High carbonation, medium bodied, solid texture. Quite enjoyable. What a combination of spices! That's really what this beer's about, and it worked well.

DrJay, May 20, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

750ml green bomber with cork and cage, no dates, poured into a pint glass.

A: A pretty clear light amber pour with extremely light carbonation action. Not much of a head at all on this one.

S: Malt sweetness with a mild dosing of fruit sweetness, primarily apple. Spices present as well, but difficult to distinguish. It a menagerie of spices: lemon grass, nutmeg, allspice, mild curry, and cinnamon. Definitely earthy.

T/M: Spices come through much stronger in the palate. Slightly peppery, cinnamon and nutmeg are very evident. I do not detect a bitterness that is supposed to be indicative of a saison. A light hit of hops in the back of the palate. Extremely mild carbonation, I wonder if I had a bad bottle. Middle of the road on body, which is great for the style.

D: My first with this style, I will revisit after making a tour of some of its competition. Spices are strong, but I guess that's what you're looking for in this.

FleeVT, May 18, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

Cork & cage green bottle, with substantial yeast sediment which I accidentally stirred up upon removing it from the fridge. Yum, vitamin B. The cork popped out like a champagne. The cat was not amused.

So, using it to christen my brand new Duvel tulip, it's cloudy yellow with incredible white foamy head. The head dissipated to a thin ring after several gulps. There's lots of stuff going on in the aroma but I'm not sure I can pick it out. It smells like a champagne, basically... fruits, especially apple. On the taste, it's like a champagne in the front and then it fades into barley/beer. It's a little tart, but overall just good and refreshing. For drinkability, the whole bottle was too much for me. I'd recommend sharing.

HardcoreKeith, May 11, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

Corked and caged 750ml green bottle.

Poured a murky deep gold, starting to learn toward orange but definately still a golden hue. one and a half finger high head composed of fairly large bubbles. On close inspection lots of bubbles are rushing to the surface.

Very very spicy on the nose. Wow, I have to take some time to see if I can sort out what's going on here on the nose. Very herbaceous and Peppery with clove, cardamom, nutmeg spiciness. A bit of apple and pear and some citric notes way in the back, perhaps a little orange zest and some malty honey...maybe it's like an orange blossom honey. There is also a little funk, some horse blanket, barnyardy stuff going on, not nearly as intense as in some saisons but it's there for sure.

Apple and cinnamon are the tastes that hit my tongue first. Maltiness comes out next followed by a very peppery on the finish with the cinnamon roaring back into the equation.

Medium to light bodied, fairly creamy and smooth. Very light carbonation. Crisp and refreshing finish, slightly off dry.

A very enjoyable and solid saison, I'd love to see this with a bolder bret character. but then again I love the funk

DaggerEyes, May 05, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to bluegrassbrew for the bottle.

Pours a very hazy orange with a massive three finger head that settles slowly to a thick cap. The resulting lace is thick, leaving large chunks of foam on the glass.

Smell; slightly tart up front with some hints of lemon grass. There's a nice peppery spiciness, and a musty earthiness comes through as this warms up a bit.

Taste; the spices come through right out of the gates with pepper, ginger, lemon grass with just a little honey thrown in the mix as well as sourdough bread. Once I make it through all the spiciness some green apples, funky/musty earthiness, and mild tartness come through. The finish is on the dry side, and the flavors really linger after each sip.

Moutfeel is medium bodied and very creamy, with a not quite biting carbonation that really fits the flavor of the beer. Drinkability is just great. I've been wanting to try the beers from Saint Somewhere ever since I first read about them, this one did not disapoint at all. Just wish I had easy access to this all of the time.

RedHaze, Apr 28, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +25.8%

750ml bottle obtained from Bob, the brewer, at the brewery. Bottle had exceptional presentation considering labeling and cork/cage. Be careful, the cage was holding the cork in and it blew to parts unknown. Prepare to depress cork while removing cage.

Presented at 57 deg. F., poured with a large fluffy head that quickly dissipated into a thin layer supported by the bubble generation from laser etched glasses.

Aroma presents initially with huge Brett presence backed up by classic Saison notes from yeast and malt. Spices are evident but they can not be identified, nice touch. Malt sweetness underpins all inviting a sip.

Flavor is a beautiful blend of brett and classic Saison notes underpinned by true Saison bitterness. Yes, Saison should be BITTER. Initially, malt sweetness and Brett sour attack the front half of the tongue, melding nicely into a flavor, underpinned by spice. Brett is not always a part of Saison style but used tastefully here to augment and tame the malt sweetness very effectively. The malt/Brett attack of the early sip fades into a nice finish balanced by the hop bitter and phenols from the unusual yeast strain. Speaking to the phenols from the yeast they are presented here in a beautiful meld with the spices used. If the brewer had not told me what the spices were I could not hazard a guess. And, no, I will not reveal them or Bogart for my home brews.

Finish is citrusy and balanced toward hop bitter when cold, and balanced toward the malt as the beer warms. A clean dry palate remains, really nice for paring with food. Bob says to pair it with pork but I think he's limiting himself, I think it would go with just about anything as it refreshes the palate so nicely. There are few beer I would recommend as universally complimentary of just about any food, but this is the exception.

Conclusion, a beautiful Saison with spices and Brett. Not the ultra parochial interpretation we brew, but a really pleasant and unparalleled interpretation. If you like Fantome, this will blow you away. It's cleaner, crisper and more refreshing, and really, more interesting.

goldenpeanut, Apr 24, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Found an updated bottle, with the better cork, and hopefully no lack of carbonation problem. This time, upon opening, the cage broke, so I kinda had to cut the wire. No matter, the cork came out easily with a nice pop...and what's this, some good bubbles as well! All right, now we're talking. I'm happy to rescind my prior negative review.

A - Pours a slightly cloudy gold with a nice crown of foam. There's even some nice lacing. It's not Saison Dupont in the looks department, but it is a vast improvement.

S - Has the crisp, light hoppy aroma I expect from a saison, as well as a little mustiness. Wet earth and a touch of pepper.

T - This is the excellent taste I remember from the flat Athene I had. Take the typical peppery, dry, lightly funked saison, and add some of what comes across to me as pumpkin pie spicing. I taste nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, orange peel - it's basically pumpkin pie without the pumpkin. Maybe it's the power of association, but I swear butternut squash or pumpkin is hinted at as well. Spices linger in the finish.

F - Again, a vast improvement. Maybe not still *as* sharp as the standard-bearers of the style, but not a whole hell of a lot to complain about if you ask me.

D - A Florida brewer that likes to make my favorite style. Like the Lectio Divina, I feel that this is nudging for a spot at the table among the heavy hitters. It's great to have such an up-and-coming brewery here in the state of Florida. Oh, lest I get carried away with the platitudes, the beer is drinkable. Might be too spicy for some - it's a little "out there." This isn't a benchmark saison along the lines of Saison Dupont or Hennepin. It has more in common with a very spicy Fantome, IMO.

I realize it now. This brewery could be the Southeast's very own Jolly Pumpkin.

Patrick999, Apr 18, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -12%

App: Pours very into the glass very cloudy, likely from a pretty disturbed sediment base from cork opening. A really nice bottle and beautiful label design. Probably one of the highlights of this beer. Color is hazy yellow-straw (on the slightly lighter side) with a 2-3 finger thick head, low lacing and nice small carbonated bubbles.

Aroma: Strong, strong spicing of pork sausage. Yeah, sounds weird but that's what I'm picking up. Cardamom, apple, tree fruits, candy sugar, Belgian yeast, bread, pepper, nutmeg and some cinnamon. The spice smells are high on this one, so those who like that style of saison might do we with this beer.

Taste: The front flavor is dominated by apple, cinnamon, and cardamom, followed by a middle of sweet honey and spicy sugar cookies. Finishes with a slight dryness and nutmeg on the tongue. Aftertaste is dry and spicy.

Mouthfeel: This is quite nice. Light to medium bodied with strong by soft carbonation - full but gentle. Mouth-filling but not cloying.

Drink: For a saison, which is supposed to be exceptionally drinkable, I think this one is a little lacking. The spicing is way too high.

NoLiberty, Apr 09, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

Bottle courtesy of Ibrew2or3. Thanks! Pours a dirty orange color with zero head. Bottle is clearly flat, despite a very tight cork. Shame, because the flavor was really nice. Smell is fruity and maybe a minty, cinnamony spiced scent. Taste is fruity, orange, and cinnamon. Very unique, and a nice drinkable flavor. Would be a great beer, I think, if the carbonation had been present.

JDV, Apr 06, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +22.4%

Appearance: After an explosion from the cork, pours a cloudy honey color with a frothy head that retains and laces well

Smell: Apple and pear, white pepper, candi sugar and yeasty herbaciousness

Taste: Opens with a balance of sweet and dry apple flavors, with a yeasty element building by mid-palate; after the swallow, the flavors become more intense, with a peppery, hot cinnamon finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate to high carbonation

Drinkability: After a bad experience with the poorly carbonated first batch, the brewer has obviously gone overboard in the opposite direction; still, this is a great domestic saison and I am glad I had an opportunity to re-visit it so soon after my previous experience; my only recommendation would be for the brewer to keep safety in mind as somebody is going to get hurt by the exploding corks

brentk56, Apr 04, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

I was a little disappointed in this beer as I really love their Lectio Divina. However, my drinking companions had mixed feelings on the subject. Oddly enough, the guys mostly preferred this brew, while myself and my friend KC strongly favored the Lectio Divina. Anyways, it has a slightly orange color to it, and a noticeable citrus aroma. However, the taste was a little too dry and sour for me. I never seem to enjoy beers that have a resemblance to Chardonnay, which I think would describe this particular Saison. Still though, it's another solid example from a great local brewery.

jenbys2001, Apr 01, 2008

A: Muddled orange appearance with a small amount of particulate; haziest toward the end of the pour.

S: Smells like a heavily diluted orange drink, with a slight whiff of alcohol -- but not offensive; probably the most likeable part of the beer.

T: Taste does not match the aroma, despite the essentially lacking nose. The alcohol sting in other saisons is not present; perhaps it was overpowered by the citrus!

M: Very smooth -- but not in a very good way. It felt lacking and should have had a strong presence of mouth-tingly bitterness.

D: Drinkable only because of its lack of overall complexity -- and because I hate to waste.

marinermc, Mar 26, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -22.2%

A: Pours an orange with a reddish tint with a small amount of head that quickly dissipates to a very small ring. There is no lacing to speak of since there is basically no head left after a few seconds.

S: The nose has both floral and citrus aromas. A slight hint of malt as well. It makes you look forward to see what the flavor will be like.

T: Unfortunately, the taste doesn't match the aroma. The taste is very sour instead of sweet like the smell. There is a lot of spice, but it isn't pleasing since the rest of the flavor is so sour. It leaves the mouth very dry.

M: Thin and lacking in anything outside of spicing and some mild carbonation.

D: The only reason I would have to knock this back is to get it finished so I could go to the next beer.

GatorBeerNerd, Mar 24, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

A: Straw-gold body with a off-white head that fades fast... slightly cloudy

S: Citric and sweet hops come through first.. slightly yeasty and spicy.. nice

T: Wow... what happened.. the sweet citric notes in the aroma have been replaced with an off sourness (not the farmhouse funk i'd expect) ... the spice is overpowering.. unbalanced and has gaps in the flavor profile.

M: Thin. Watery.

D: So much promise based upon the appearance and the smell... but the thin, unbalanced taste just about shoots it down for me

callmemickey, Mar 14, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +15.6%

Thanks to Whitefolks305 for the chance to try this. Highly unusual and quite delicious beer. Looks like just squeezed orange juice with barely more carbonation. Both of the Saint Somewhere beers I've had have had low, but present carbonation. They also have the worst corks I've ever seen- they seal fine, but both times I haven't even been able to get the corks off with a pair of pliers- they both broke and I had to use a corkscrew. Smells just like Lemon Meringue pie, lemony, creamy, and floral. As it warms it picks up even more flavors of lemon zest, a bit of orange, and perhaps some coriander. The taste has that same lemon creaminess, but with even more orange, also like fresh, sweet orange juice, as well as orange blossom honey, coriander, and a slight residual herbalness. Complex and very different- and very nice. The mouthfeel is very smooth, almost like drinking sweetened key lime juice, which come to think of it, could be a big part of the flavor profile as well. Very drinkable, goes down like water, but keeps you pondering the flavors as well. Bravo! We need more regional beers like this.

Georgiabeer, Mar 14, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

This one is served chilled just below cellar temp and not quite fridge temp. Poured into my Troubador tulip.

Paired this up with some fantastic lobster rolls that turned out to be a marvelous pairing. These are not those mayo or butter soaked lobster rolls mind you...

Appearance - Pours with just a champagne-like head that disappears quickly. Color is a light orange-yellow and relatively clear with the sediment caked to the bottom of the bottle.

Smell - A very lively nose with large wafts of Chamomile and Honey - very tea-like with a light spiciness off in the distance.

Taste - This one hits the sweet buds right off the bat - not necessarily overly sweet but more than a hint - honey. A bit of light bitterness nestles its way as the sweetness is scrubbed by the carbonation - and hints of lemon. A hint of spicy/peppery rolls through prior to a very modest dry finish with some residual sweetness.

Mouthfeel - A bit thin and sweet for me but interesting. Could have used more carbonation.

Drinkability - A nice one to try and sip with my lobster rolls. One 750 would be enough at a time - even shared.

Thanks to tpd75, I think, as I got this one in the Battle cruiser BIF and finally got around to drinking it.

gpcollen1, Mar 11, 2008

Very hard to review a beer when it is so close to perfection. This beer will capture anyone in search for something new and of quality.

A - Cloudy yeast - golden, pours very well, good head filled with aroma.

S - Right away you will be captured by the sweet smell of chamomille. Spices are very present, one can distinguish the rosemary and black pepper.

T - Sweet, very complex, the spices are clearly present.

M - from the first sip to the last, this beer will have you find more and more hidden flavors.

D - I was captured by this beer. From the outside package of the bottle to the label to the pleasure of tasting it, it is an overall best Belgian style ales made in US.

Comes in 750ml corked bottles and wire caged.

Sebletitje, Mar 09, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

A-Hazy gold with a medium foamy, white head. Decent lacing left.

S-Very nice aroma. Floral, spicy, and the funk of Brett. Notes of cinnamon spiced apple cider. Decent bready/malty aromas too.

T-Cinnamon, chamomile, pepper, lemon, bretty funk, fresh grains, and a nice ending bite of hops. Nice and complex.

M-Medium body with lots of carbonation. Very pleasnt in the mouth...like beer champagne.

D-My first St. Somewhere offering and I am sure not my last. Very impressed with this brew. This was imbibed after having quite a few "bigger" beers at a tasting party and it still managed to hold it's own. Nice job! Excellent saison.

Deuane, Mar 02, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

Thanks to grub and his wife for being the middle man in this, grubs father-in-law picked it up on a recent trip to Florida. You did well on this one, thanks Big Mike!

Pours a clear straw yellow, thick white head forms, great retention, this forms a thick layer, leaves tons of lace on the glass, certainly looks great. Smell is amazing, grass, honey, very spicy, especially cinnamon, oats, oak, apples, wheat, more spice, pretty wicked. Taste is cinnamon and cloves, pepper, oats, bread, honey, apples, yeast, a bit barnyardy, spicy bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, low carbonation, buttery smooth, spicy mouthfeel that is just perfect. Amazing beer, I would drink this all day if I could. Thanks again Mike, Russ and Jenn!

Viggo, Feb 22, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Thanks to egajdzis for sharing this bottle...
Appears a hazy light gold with a fluffy white head that slowly fades into a small film and collar. Scattered zebra stripes are left around the glass.
Smell is of herbal tea, cinnamon, chamomile, corander, and nutmeg.
Taste is of the same aromas with light sweetness and notes of herbs, hay, and mild funk coming through in the flavors.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, yeasty, spicy, and semi-dry.

weeare138, Feb 11, 2008