Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Lectio Divina - Saint Somewhere Brewing Company

Lectio DivinaLectio Divina

Saint Somewhere Brewing Company visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-29-2007

Lectio Divina is a cross between an abbey double and a saison. Open fermentation with a saison strain and a dose of wild yeast at bottling add to the complexity.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lectio Divina Alström Bros
3.89/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Review from 7/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a dark red amber with active thick pale tan head and light lacing. Initial aroma of funk and sour was fortunately not followed by the taste. Dark fruits, sweet malt with a peppery flavor partially due to the high carbonation. Finishes slightly bitter and semi-dry. I liked this quite a bit, a nice saison with a somewhat more malty body than most.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

A previous reviewer summed up my feelings exactly, "I think I expected it to be more than it is. Of the Saint Somewhere beers that I've tried, this one has been the least memorable and unique so far." There's nothing particularly wrong with this one but it just falls flat for me in the taste department.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Vintage 750 ml bottle aged from January, 2010. This beer uncorked itself in a matter of seconds.

A - Amber bodied brew with a foamy head that quickly fades to a faint lace ring and a central carbonation island. Two big uprising strands of carb moving quickly, looks pretty carbonated.

S - Tangy tart fruit notes up front. A mild sweeetness in the nose, with some sour cherry and apple skin. Sweet caramel and mild banana. Light malt and alcohol esters.

T - At first sip, the beer seemed very bitter but I realized it was a huge rush of carbonation. This beer is subtley malty, with a blend of flavor essences. A strong alcohol bite, that fades into a warming aftertaste. Hints of plum, apple skin, and peach. No noticable hops.

M - Highly carbonated and medium bodied. Warming and crisp.

O - Not what I expected from a saison. I was hoping for a murky funky beer.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a slightly hazy brownish amber with a minimal, lingering white mousse.

S: A lot of fruity aromas are present on the nose. Apple, tart cherry, pear, and banana are particularly noticeable. There are also extremely subtle candy sugar and caramel aromas present as well. The addition of wild yeast is not as immediately noticeable as in most of their other beers.

T: Notes of lactic yeast, candy sugar, caramel, cream, apple, pear, banana, tart cherry, and gentle spices flit across the palate. The finish is smooth with a nice blend of lactic yeast and spiced fruit flavors.

M: On the lighter side of medium and relatively dry. Carbonation is firm, but also rather subdued. Alcohol is not all that noticeable.

O: This is a really solid saison, but I think I expected it to be more than it is. Of the Saint Somewhere beers that I've tried, this one has been the least memorable and unique so far.

3.67/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a clear golden brown in poor lighting, with huge cream head that lingers.

Aroma displays a hint of must, sweet tarts, and tart cherries. There's a hint of funk.

Flavor is a touch bitter, with tart cherry notes, green apples, plum, and bready malt pulling the profile up into a slightly peppery finish. There's a belgian estery character adding complexity. A phenolic note surfaces in the aftertaste.

Body is fairly light, with fairly high carbonation.

Overall, an interesting mix of saison and belgian flavors. Fairly complex.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into pint glass.

A: Hazy deep copper in color, good amount of active carbonation, although forms only a minimal head.

S: Fruity, apple, less banana aroma than expected. Smells sour.

T: Taste is sour, fruity, cherry. There are some slight vinegar undertones.

M: Aftertaste is a little sour and mildly puckering, although it doesn't last long. Average mouthfeel & carbonation presence for the style.

O: An enjoyable beer. My first from St. Somewhere, I'm ashamed to admit since they're so close. But I will be trying others to be sure.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

The sample I got popped and fizzed like a champagne bottle in the locker room of the team that just won the World Series, so open with care and have a big, thirsty towel ready! It pours a clear, dark cinnamon-brown with a very thick, though not persistent, light tan head. Strong aroma is mainly fruity and yeasty with subtle hints of malt and butterscotch. Flavor has a fruity core, more like a cider, with notes of yeast and malt and a hint of caramel. Texture has about average body and a fair amount of fizz. Overall, not too shabby.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Single finger head on a murky brownish-red body. Aroma is very yeasty with fruity notes, mostly plum and dark fruits with brown sugar. Tangy and tart notes in the flavor are of cherry and orange which are musty however leave a lingering aftertaste which is more than I liked which affects the drinkability. Nice caramel malt profile.

1.85/5  rDev -52.2%

Poured into an over-sized tulip

A: Body is a murky brown with an orangish/amber hue. Cloudy and clearly unfiltered. Crazy amount of fizzy, small bubbled head that quickly dissipates after 5 seconds, reminds me of cider.

S: Caramel sweet malts with undertones of funky yeast giving off aromas similar to a permanent marker. Smells like the county fair with notes of grass, butter, candy and heavy booze.

T: Heavy booze, permanent marker is coming to mind. Pretty soapy overall. Not too many kind flavors striking the pallet.

M: Tingling sensation up front turns to a burning alcohol feel.

O: I love this brewery but sadly not this bottle. Marking this up to contamination. Will try another bottle in hopes of changing my mind.

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

A: Pours a hazy reddish copper with 3 fingers of tan head that cracks and fizzles as it dissipates. Carbonation appears to be strong but I can see much past the edge of the glass. Has loose webbed lacing.

N: Lemon, apricot, chocolate, toffee, notes of raisin, gentle barnyard yeastiness and subtle coriander spice.

T: Lemon, plum and chocolate covered raisin upfront. Lemon juice, hay, toasted grains and a light barnyard funk show up mid-palate. Finishes with toffee, molasses, earth and a subtle bouquet of sage, coriander and black pepper.

M: Medium bodied, soft, dry and prickly with carbonation.

O: This is a unique blend of Belgian Dubbel and Saison. Damn near perfect 50/50 split between the two styles. Dark fruit, lemony citrus, funk and subtle spicing. Very complex and hides the alcohol extremely well.

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paoli, PA

Poured into a tulip glass, this "dark saison" was a burnt orange-copper color, murky to the point of being nearly opaque, and a small off-white head that receded almost completely. Aroma of bready yeast, caramel and candi sugar, fruity esters. Similar taste, bready, with notes of caramel, wort, candi sugar, banana, peach, a touch of citrus, and light spices and herbs. A bit tart in the mouth, medium-bodied, and quite drinkable overall.

2.92/5  rDev -24.5%

I had this on tap at TJ's -served chilled and allowed to gradully warm.

The color is deep amber with murky look and no head, not very appealing, but not too terrible really. The smell is odd, but interesting -cheese-like funk with a mild sweet stone fruit note and mild spice. The feel is tart with some graininess and light sweetness, the sour tinge is funky with some yeasty qualities.

The flavor is unique but not especially great. There is a slight swiss cheese-like yeast flavor I can't get past, yet there is a fruity cherry-like element in there too which seems to add to the flavor that the yeast provides. There is slight spice in there with some mild alcohol, but in general I struggled to find favorable qualities to savor. I don't recommend this based on my experience. I don't think the combination they envisioned is what I tasted - it has that odd swiss cheese tinge that is distracting to me which hinders the other flavors and overall drinkability to me.

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

Cork shoots off this one immediately after unscrewing the cage. Big head that shrinks to a small puffy line. Amber. I've only seen one other saison this dark, and it was brewed with rye. Oh I just noticed it's a cross between a Dubbel and a saison. Cool
Sweet on the nose, candied berries.
Sticky sweet, raspberries, peaches, a light tartness.
Soft carbonation makes it full on the mouth.
A great brew, but when I want I saison, I want something less sweet. A good twist on the style nonetheless, well executed, just not my preference.

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

From 01/28/12 notes. Thanks to jslot38 for sharing this one.

a - Pours a murky reddish brown color with one inch of fluffy white head and low carbonation evident.

s - Smells of brett, funk, sour fruits, spices, yeast, oranges, earthy notes, and wheat. A ton of brett and sour fruits, a really awesome nose.

t - Tastes of brett, spices, yeast, fruity malts, citrus, bready malts, lightly sour fruits, and wheat. Less brett and sourness than the nose, though still nice.

m - Medium body and moderate to high carbonation. Pretty good for a saison.

o - Overall a very nice saison. I thought the nose was awesome; very funky and full of brett. The taste wasn't quite as sour or funky, but still enjoyable. I tried two of their a few years ago and thought they were ok, but I really like this one...may have to revisit some of their other beers.

3.62/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As fresh as can be. I helped bottle some cases and got 6 of these for myself. Waited two weeks and popped the cork.

Poured into my St. Somewhere stemmed glass. Pours a murky amber color with a fizzy white heading. Turns flat after a few ticks and leaves no lacing, only when you swirl it.

Nose I mostly get some sour apple, followed with a slight tart and funky second wave and finishes a little peppery.

Similiar to the nose, a heavy fruity and sour apple mix with a crude hot boozey alcohol. A peppery sting kind of tones things down a bit and settles into a nice funkier, almost brett-like, sour finish.

Mouth is medium bodied, fair carbonation and a nice soft balance. A little on the buttery slick side but good.

All and all probably my least favorite of St. Somewhere but hey I got six of these for my help.

3.64/5  rDev -5.9%

2010 vintage.

A: Lightly cloudy orange-tan with a fluffy off-white head that fades with little to no lace. Quickly goes nearly flat.

S: Initial whiff of acid sets my mouth awater. Light raisin, plum, brown sugar.

T: The flavor runs counter to the nose, in that it is not sour at all, but almost chocolaty. There is nearly an overtone of Turkish delight and raisins. The finish is rather dry, given the sweetness up-front.

M: Rather light, given the ABV, but the effect is quite pleasant.

O: I love the saison portion of this beer, but once again, I fear my dislike of dubbels persists. Nonetheless, I'm glad to have procured a bottle on a recent trip.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

A 2008 bottle aged in my cellar.

Poured into a tulip, produced a copious tan head that quickly dissipated to a thin ring. No lacing at all. Body is a crystal clear reddish copper.

Smells malty sweet, caramel, fruity with raisin/prune notes, and honey.

Tastes malty sweet throughout, though not cloying, with notes of caramel, raisins, and some orange. The flavor is well balanced. Finishes dry with a bit of orange zest.

Body is light as is the carbonation, producing a rather flat mouthfeel.

This does not resemble a saison at all. More like a cross between a dubbel or a quad and a barley wine. It was good for a try, and it is pleasant, though not complex, and I wouldn't go out of my way for it again.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

A - Poured out a hazy, copper color with a two-finger, tan head of bubbly foam. It left sticky patches of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of oranges and other fruits. Slightly funky and a touch of mustiness.

T - It tasted somewhat sour and also funky. Some black cherry flavors with a touch of orange zest. It had a sweet malty backbone.

M - It was crisp and sharp without an pucker from the sourness. A medium bodied ale with a good deal of sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

O - This is very unique and very tasty. I've only had two brews from Saint Somewhere and have loved both.

4.51/5  rDev +16.5%

Lucky me, a local restaurant was selling these bottles at a deep discount because they couldn't "move them". Much to my surprise the bottle was from 2009.
It had a nice orange amber look to it, not much of a head. The floral and fruity aroma could be picked up from a mile away. crisp and clean taste.
A fantastic offering, lucky me.

4.95/5  rDev +27.9%

I have bottled this beer multiple times and I love it! The beer has a nice dry finish to it with appropriate levels of carbonation. What is more important is that this beer ages well. I still have bottles from 2009/2010 that are just as lively as the ones bottled last week. Hints raisin in this beer goes well with the slightly dry finish. This is a great beer for a holiday meal as it is not too heavy in flavor and alcohol.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

appearance - brown that is reminicent of a belgian Dubbel.

smell - alcohol, brandy, wood, earthy,

taste - plums, dark fruit, great bread, caramel, don't get any brett like I was expecting. It is a touch sour and tart on the back end and finishes strong with the dark fruits.

mouthfeel - mouthfeel is rather full, with very low carbonation

overall - I really liked this beer. I was hoping for a little more funk. The nose was like brandy which I'm assuming was from barrel aging or was it brett(?). I think a little better discription of the actual beer on their website or their bottle would be helpful. Can't wait to try something else from this brewery.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip
2010 on cork, in the fridge since July 2011

A: Did not even get the cage off the cork and it blew, but no gusher. Don't point the bottle at someone when you are opening this :) Dark reddish color with one of the biggest, fluffiest heads I have ever seen. The head is a light tan color and it eventually drops to one finger and surprisingly leaves no lace. My first thought was it looks like a dubbel.
S: A little dirt/earth and a hint of sourness.
T: A little tartness and a little earth, in the background is a flavor that reminds me of sour cherries. No hint of hops or alcohol. No caramel sweetness either, definitely not a Dubbel.
M: Very crisp with a lot of tingly carbonation. Very dry on the tongue which surprised me given the color, I was expecting a little more roundness, but I guess the Brett chewed through that.
O: I am not a saison expert, but I have had more then a couple and from what I can tell, this beer holds it own with the classics. This would make an excellent pairing with some good cheese, but you could easily enjoy by the pool on a hot summer day. Excellent, well worth trying.

3.33/5  rDev -14%

I had this on-tap at Max's

Appearance: Pours a reddish amber color with just under a finger of off white head that fades quickly.

Smell: Very mild. Malt and banana with a few herbal notes.

Taste: Malty banana. A bit tart with some herbs and a sweet malty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this one was just ok. The sour hints made it more interesting, but the flavor combination just didn't do it for me.

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

750ml bottle with a 2009 cork in it, picked up at Premier in Buffalo. Didn't really know much about it except that St. Somewhere does some good stuff.

Pours a ruddy brown that look a touch like a dubbel. Finger of head which has some good retention.

Nose is quite fruity, some bread, a touch of spice, honey, a dash of something mineral. Flavor reflects the wild yeast a bit more, swore there was Brett in it, though it is so balanced with the other characteristics that it doesn't demand attention. Dark fruits, fruit bread, a dash of spicy saison yeast, mineral/Brett like dryness, floral, touch of barnyard.

Really easy drinking, pleasant bone dry finish, smooth. The first half I was a little wary of this one, really unique - but it came together for me and I enjoyed it. Don't go into it expecting a saison, unique hybrid.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

Got this in a BIF a while back, I'll edit this when I figure out which it was. 2008 on the cork wow!

A: Hazy brown pour with yellow edges. Brownish yellowish strange head that is extremely bubbly and doesn't stick around very long. Amazing how good the carbonation is after 3 years.

S: The smell is really interesting. Lots of booze, some sour, and malts mostly.

T: Mostly tastes like a weak amber ale with a little saison mixed in. Malts sit on the backend.

MF: The carbonation really impresses me considering the age. Crisp, light, refreshing, not a lot of booze. The smell is a bit misleading.

O: Not bad at all. Not as good as Saison Athene IMO.

Lectio Divina from Saint Somewhere Brewing Company