Du Citron Partie - Saint Somewhere Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Saint Somewhere Brewing Company visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Rifugium on 06-05-2012)

punktilend, Jun 04, 2014
1.7/5  rDev -45.9%

I figured the reviews were based on a bad keg, so I sought this beer out at a different location.

Pours a slightly cloudy pale orange with little head. The aroma is unremarkable: almost nothing to note... some mild citrus and that's about it. Taste... wow, I can't believe it but it's true. It's carbonated nail polish. Acetone dominates every sip. There's nothing else I can taste because it's so strong. It has a nice mouthfeel, though, like a normally well-made saison. I struggle to finish my glass but I fear I may be poisoning myself as I do so.

I cannot believe Saint Somewhere's and/or Funky Buddha's quality control people allowed this beer to be released instead of dumping the entire batch. This is the kind of beer that could ruin the reputation of a brewery. Such a disappointment.

JimsArcade, Oct 06, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Draft at Prohibition Taproom in Philadelphia, PA.

Pours a cloudy golden orange color with yellowish-gold edges and a two finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Streaks of soapy lacing left behind.

Funky, earthy aroma with some farmhouse yeast and a very strong citrus/orange drink character. Somewhat artificial smelling with orange and lemon peel, subtle funk and a touch of acetone.

Thinner bodied than expected with subtle earthy farmhouse funk followed by a strong citrus presence before finishing with an unpleasant solvent acetone flavor. A little bit of zesty spice up front as well but it really gets dominated mid-palate by an overwhelming citrus flavor. Very artificial tasting with a resemblance to orange drink, vitamin and citrus tablet. I didn't pick up much acetone at first but it lingers well after the finish. I'm really sensitive to this but for some reason I didn't pick it up as much as others who were in attendance.

corby112, Aug 26, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +15.6%

I had this on-tap at Capone's. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy orange amber color with two fingers of fluffy off white head that leaves some lacing on the glass as it fades.

Smell: I'm picking up a slight sweetness with a mildly tart note. I'm also getting some bubble gum and a hint of citrus fruit.

Taste: There is an herbal note from the yeast that I didn't pick in in the smell. I'm getting lots of bubble gum, maybe a little bit too much. Some citrus fruit notes and a bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with carbonation on the flat side and a dry finish.

Overall: This beer was really fruity and full of bubble gum notes. I thought it was strange but alright.

oline73, Aug 08, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

JohnK17, Aug 08, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

brez8791, Jul 24, 2012
3.28/5  rDev +4.5%

A-murky golden color with a 1/2 finger white head and a little lacing

S-peppery, strong citrus/lemon

T-herbal,grainy with hints of pepper follwed by the aforementioned lemon acetone bomb which grew on me and ultimately I wss able to discern a little underlying earthiness and funk

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, slight astringency

O-a weird interpretation of a Saison, but it did sort of grow on me and was a change of pace for sure

MDDMD, Jul 23, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

mcss, Jun 26, 2012

JAHMUR, Jun 25, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +10.8%

On-tap, served in a tulip

A bright, golden orange with little to no cap. Just a thin layer of film around the edges and over top of the body. Dots of lace.

Huge acetone notes mask much of what else is going on, but I get some sage, lemon, and white pepper all propped up with tropical fruits. Papaya, mango, and apricots.

On the palate, acetone leaves its mark. Lemon, white pepper, and sage up front before a wave of nail polish remover. At first, it was a little overbearing, but it grew on me. A nice layer of hops leave a finish of tropical fruit.

Light bodied, with a bit of a chewy character. Very low carbonation makes this a little watery in spots.

This is an interesting beer. I was able to move past the acetone bomb, as it really didn't bother me all that much. The other flavors work well against that backdrop and the hop profile is great. I'd like to try this one again.

ColForbinBC, Jun 12, 2012

xnicknj, Jun 12, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -15.6%

Hazed golden color, nice cap of prickly white froth. First whiff brings huge amounts of solvent alcohol, had to approach again to get notes of fermenting citrus juice, strong lemon and lime concentrate, almost artificially flavored vodka in build. Taste improved on nose slightly, still strong solvent and citrus presence but musty dried grain and some spice peaks its way through, a touch of earth. Ligther side of medium bodied, bubbly and solvent. Odd drink here... tasted like someone too a saison and dropped a cheap citrus flavored vodka in it.

rfgetz, Jun 07, 2012

Had on-tap at Prohibition Taproom in Philadelphia, PA. This one was a case of "looks can be deceiving." Poured a lovely hazy straw yellow color with a fluffy white head that slowly receded leaving a bit of streaky lacing. Just like I like my saisons to look. As soon as I smelled this beer I knew something was off. It smelled like someone had poured nail polish remover into my beer. WTF? I at least got hints of wheat and light, crisp citrus as well but the acetone smell was really overpowering. The taste was unbearable...if I had been drinking this at home it would have been a drain pour. Absolutely had a strong taste of acetone with some saison funk/complexity in the background but...something must have gone wrong with this beer. I can't see how this is the taste they were trying to achieve. I am all for "funk" but not undrinkable acetone flavor. The mouthfeel was average, with moderate carbonation and light/medium body. Overall, I was very disappointed by this beer. I usually love saisons, but this one really missed the mark. Gave it to my husband and he choked most of it down. Would pass up next time unless I could taste it first to see if the acetone flavor had been taken care of.

MsRif, Jun 07, 2012

BeerThursdays, Jun 06, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -14.6%

First had: on tap at Prohibition Taproom, Philly, PA

A collaboration between St. Somewhere and Funky Buddha.

Served in a stem glass, an impenetrably hazy golden yellow with a half inch or so of foamy white head that retained and left a bit of lacing on the glass. Aroma is fairly lemony with grassy funk and a bit mediciny. Taste...whew...total acetone bomb. Big big hit of acetone, with afterthoughts of dry lemon zest and peppery spice, bitter vegetal hops, phenols, moonshine (minus the burn). I'm not sure I'd say it was completely undrinkable, but something was definitely off here. I'm calling either infection, or if they were actually going for that taste, I'd have to ask: why? Medium body, and just not very good. If I had it at home it would've been a drain pour most likely, but I choked it down at the bar.

Rifugium, Jun 05, 2012