Newbold IPA - Philadelphia Brewing Company

Beer added by: callmemickey on 03-14-2008

to view more.
Ratings: 225 | Reviews: 122
3.54/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This was a nice IPA. It poured a darker golden color with a lot of hop residue floating around inside the glass. The smell is hoppy and citrusy. The taste is very hoppy, it has a lot of sour notes to it. I got a lot of earthy hop flavor along with citrus, pine, and possibly grapefruit. Not a bad IPA by any means. It still has that signature Philadelphia Brewing Taste as well. Give it a try!

4.3/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On cask at Johnny Brenda's. Looks beautiful, thick sheet of foam on the glass. Smell is typical pale ale with a touch of malt and pinesol, but not terribly intense even at cask temperature. Tastes wonderful though. Smooth and balanced led by bitter orange and tangerine, approaching a flavor like campari. Very easy drinking and smooth on the palate with an oily finish.

PBC seems consistently underrated to me. Grab this one for sure if you see it.

2.54/5  rDev -25.5%

Really didn't care for this

3.39/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Holly crap this stuff is over carbonated! A medium pour gave me more than two inches of head that seems to fizz out rather quickly with little head. Big clumps of sediment means either its old or just unfiltered. Either way not good so far.
S - Smell is mild not getting much hops or malts. Smell if anything is just of an average English pale ale.
T+M - Man that carbonation makes it hard to drink! My first sip gave me strong unbalanced pure hop bitterness in all it's unforgiving glory. Very little sweet or crystal malts for balanced just bitter and drain cleaner harshness.

Overall it's a real shame since I love their imperial stout but they can't seem to make anything else that impresses me. Pity.

3.8/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz.

Pours a dark amber with a half inch of yellowish head, slow dissipation.

Smells of piney, floral hops and citrus with some mild caramel and bready malts.

Flavor of honey, grapefruit citrus, and piney hops. Some bready malts.

Medium body with a light tingly carbonation.

Solid IPA, nothing special, but very good and refreshing, would have this again.

3.77/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On cask in a pint glass.

A- In a dark bar, moved around in the light, it looked true amber to me. A big white head left nice lacing. Lively carbonation from vigorous work by the barrtender.

S- Subtle citrus and pine hops with a slight malt aroma in the backround.

T- Grapefruit citrus and a little bit of pine. The malt comes through now, biscuity.

M- Abundant carbonation and tingly feel. Hoppy enoungh but not bitter. In fact quite dry, probably from the toasted wheat. Some oily resin, too.

O- I found this a pleasant drinkable brew. Maybe it's not well regarded but I like it.

3.86/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle > Pint Glass
A - Pours a murky copper color, a little head, thin thin lacing
S - Sweet malt, a little earthy hops, citrus, grapefruit.
T - This actually does has a decently bold flavor, not stretching the boundary a lot, but good, you pick up the sweet malt by a dark bitterness of hops along with some nice citrus flavor.
M - Medium light feel, the sweetness kind of clings a little bit.
O - This is a pretty good IPA, sort of english styled with the big malt background, but has some nice hop flavor to get your palate goin.

3.83/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes of stuff I've had over the past month or so.

Poured from a 12 oz into a standard pint.

Appearance: Red/amber color with a weak milk colored head. Pretty standard, but the weak head is sad.

Smell: Smells like a hybrid of pine and tangerine with some floral notes. NOT at all how I remember this beer smelling. Very interesting.

Taste: Wow. This used to totally kind of blow. This isn't bad. Wonder if it is me or if they've refined this. The "bold" part fits now. Pine-y hops and what seems like tangerine meld with some non-descript malts. This "tangerine" taste is surprisingly good. Used to think this was the "ugly child" in the PBC line.

Mouthfeel: Slightly syrupy, nothing to write home about. Medium to light body with moderate to light carbonation.

This beer is ALMOST there. This could be very good. It's good now, it could be even better. Glad this stepped up its game.

3.31/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bought at Wegman's in Collegeville.
I actually had this once before at a Wegman's in King of Prussia.
What amazes me is that experience was different than this one in a big way.

I remembered thoroughly enjoying it back then, probably September 2012.
That night I drank straight out of the bottle.
Tonight I poured into a Nonic.

It's a very dark pour, orange/brown and hazy. 1-2 finger hear, minimal lacing.
The malt scent coming forth with a strong caramel scent AND flavor.
Almost too sweet.
Mouthfeel has a bite to it. Maybe a bit too much carbonation.

Slightly nutty but more caramel than anything else.
Did I mention caramel?

There is a hop presence that lingers throughout but not overly memorable.

Overall not a terrible effort but my guess is maybe this bottle was older than the last one I had, which may be leading to the aged malt taking over the hops?
Who knows.

3.55/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes. Consumed at the Moo Bar.

A: Pours a dark orange/copper color with a slight haze to it. One finger off-white head forms upon pouring, but reduces rather quickly. Spotty lace formation.

S: Lots of citrus, grapefruit and some pine upfront with caramel on the back end.

T: Very citrusy upfront on the flavor profile. There is some grapefruit, pineapple, and a little orange rind. There is some caramel and a little toffee on the finish.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly dry finish, but overly bitter.

O: A solid IPA that could be consumed at any time.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer poured out as a clear copper color with a white head on top. The wasn't much lacing or anything here. The smell of the beer was quite impressive I thought. The aroma of big amounts of hops were on the nose. I never expected this kind of an aroma from a beer with such a plain label. I shouldn't feel that way since Pliny's label is about as boring as it gets. Anyway, the taste of the beer has a solid bitterness to it with some caramel malts in the background. The mouthfeel was pretty typical. Overall This brew wasn't bad, I was surprised by it actually.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottle from case dated Nov 30 2011...very fresh only a week and a half old...poured into a Delirium Tremens Snifter...

A - Crystal clear caramel amber, half inch head, nice lacing left around the glass...

S - Wonderful Amarillo hop essence...floral-pine-citrus-dank aroma...very nice dry hopping!

T - The taste is unfortunately a little unbalanced and not well blended...but still enjoyable...its like the malts and bitterness are fighting a little bit to blend on your tongue. Nice candied oranges taste, with grapefruity bitterness. Pretty tasty still.

M - The carbonation is good...very smooth...almost cask-like...a little syrupy...medium-light body

Overall - A very nice IPA...not the most amazing example of the style but very good...especially for the price point...and I love supporting my local philly breweries. I've had this beer on several occasions before and wasn't a fan. Whether or not PBC changed their recipe or if what I've had in the past was old...I've changed my opinon about this IPA. If you can get Newbold fresh definitely give it a try. Its a good ipa.

Cheers!

3.42/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottled August 4th, 2011

Deep red to reddish brown, finger of off-white head, spotty lace.

Grapefruit hops and sweet caramel malts in the nose.

The nose is in the taste as well, heavy on the caramel. Great grapefruity bitter finish.

Medium bodied with good carbonation.

Nothing spectacular, just a solid IPA.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%

I've been meaning to grab this, and other Philadelphia Brew styles for a while. I'm in love with their packaging, the classic Americana Marketing, Don Draper, 1950's style. Actually it reminds me of the Fallout series of games, an instant way to my heart. The newbold in particular was reminiscent of Nuka-Cola.

After a heated haggle with some shifty wastelanders, I hit this baby straight from the bottle. A firm quick hiss, I was one cap the richer. I really appreciated the smooth piney aroma. Its mellow but with that signature hop essence you would expect. The first cold pull of this IPA would've satisfied the most parched Vault-Dweller. The taste was nuclear. Bitter and back to sweet by the finish, this IPA had a great taste. Now if only I could find that water chip...

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

12oz brown glass pry-top. Thanks to Mike and Sarah!

Pours crystal clear medium amber with very thin white head. Nose is a little tin-y with some herb notes and a suggestion of dried citrus peels. Palate is crisp for how amber it is. Lots of bitterness and great carbonation texture. A little rough around the edges. Some biscuit-like malt comes out as it warms, as I expected. Ice-cold it's good, any warmer than that and it's mediocre.

Better than most "local" IPAs.

3.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at Johnny Brenda's, Philly, PA

Pours a clear bronze with orange highlights, and a small, bubbly head. Very organic aroma, with earthy malts and light citrus hops. Pretty good balance of hops and malts in the taste, with the hops taking the upper hand just a bit. Some fruit coming through: apples and orange zest mainly. Some herbal notes. Medium body and quite drinkable.

1.85/5  rDev -45.7%

I don't like Newbold IPA. This is the first craft beer that I really don't like. I may drink my beer warmer than most people. This beer has a heavy mouth feel and a sweet heavy syrup taste.
Drinkabilty for me is very low.
I bought a case of this on special recomended by a salesperson. I am so desperate I even mixed some Bud to get a better taste. I live in Philly and don't like bashing the home town brew.
I won't be trying another Philadelphia Brewing CO product in the near future. I may end up getting rid of the rest of this beer rather than play mixer man.
So far I have found that I like Pale Ale, IPAs and even some EPAs. I would not recommend someone try Newbold as their introduction to an IPA or even a craft beer.

1.71/5  rDev -49.9%

I honestly do not mean to bashing this beer, though I must be honest.
Phil Brew Company must of released a bad batch.
The carbination is insane, it keeps coming. It's this pale white soapy smelling and tasting head that doesn't stop swelling for around 5mins. Honestly shocking that this was sold to the public.
IBUs must be very low. Why are they marketing this as a "BOLD" IPA? Have they ever drank Double Bastard?
You would expect something like Warrior hops in this, but there isn't.
If I don't think about the overwhelming bad head, the taste is a very bland IPA w/ little flavor. The bottle actually says, "aggressively hopped"...

FYI: This case of beer has been sitting in a house w/ 3 homebrew hop heads for the past 3months and only 4 beers have been taken out of that case.

2.44/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a clear golden color with an inch of head. Clinging lacing on the glass as the foam subsides.

S: Weak fruity hop aroma with a hint of caramel and a strange metallic tinge.

T: Medium bitterness as one would expect from an IPA with a floral flavor. A slight malty caramel backbone supports the decent hop flavor. Strange taste of pennies and old tea turns me off at the end.

M: Smooth mouthfeel with very limited carbonation.

D: Not great for an IPA, I don't have much desire to drink more than what I already have in my glass.

3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

A- Hazy amber with a one inch head. Head has decent retention and leaves a thin film and average lacing.

S- Caramel, floral hoppiness, strong tea, wet wood, and some citrus.

T- Malt mixed with a vegetable-like hop flavor to begin with. This transitions into a low-mid level of bitterness that finishes off this beer somewhat dry.

M- Medium with very little carbonation.

D/O- If I had to, I could handle two or three of these is one sitting without getting bored or blasted. It wasn't a chore to finish this pint, but it wasn't super enjoyable either. Not bad, but not something to search out. Cheers.

3.31/5  rDev -2.9%

At the Porter House in New Hope, PA. Poured amber/copper with two fingers of white, good retention, and great lacing. Modest visible carbonation. Smelled of bitter grassiness and hay; not much fruitiness or maltiness. The taste confirmed the lack of fruit flavor; this IPA was very dry, bitter, and woody, with a super-dry finish. Medium, modestly-carbonated, and easy to drink. Good for sessioning, if you favor the more grassy/herbal variety.

3.58/5  rDev +5%

On-tap at Smith's in Philadelphia.

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of somewhat grainy pale malts with leafy and floral hop aromas. As it warms slight amounts of citrus hop aromas waft out as well.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Light pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by moderate amounts of leafy hop flavors. The hops turn more bitter midway through the sip with the addition of more earthy hop flavors, carrying through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without a problem however I'm not sure about another.

Overall there was nothing about this beer that would make me want to revisit it. That being said, it's not a terrible beer if there are no other options available.

3.72/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours a rust colored dark orange. Pretty clear with a light amount of eggshell colored head.

S: Some nice citrus hops. A touch of tropical comes through too.

T: I wasn't expecting a whole lot but this is a really decent ipa. Nice tropical flavors. Good bitterness balanced with some light pale malts.

M: medium bodied with great carbonation. No alcohol presence at all.

Overall: Im really happy with this ipa. It's not the greatest but it's real solid, tasty, and local. What more could you want. I will definitely drink again.

3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep golden brown color, with a large off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light caramelized malts, some citrus and a good amount of hops.

T: The taste starts out mildly sweet flavors of caramel and citrus. Then a weak hops bitterness for the style comes in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and brings some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, not the best representation of style, it's not a bad beer but there are several others in the style that I would choose first.

3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

I bought a variety 6-pk at Wegman's for a beer tasting night knowing how much my buddy and I both enjoy IPA's....I was not impressed with this beer at all.

A - Slight amber color. Poured into a pint glass, noticed heavy carbonation and light frothy head.

S - Ok, heavy hop aroma, very little citrus smell. Smells like a hoppy pilsner.

T - Again, Ok. I'm a pretty big DFH fan, this has great hoppiness but lacking the caramel taste and richness I love with DFH. Somewhat acidic tastng.

M - This is where the beer goes wrong. Overly carbonated, enough of it that it gives you too much bite.

D - In my book, a cheaper tasting IPA. My buddy and I enjoy tasting a lot a of beers and each month get together. This beer was below average. It tastes like a cheap IPA that you buy if your on a shoestring budget.

Would not recommend. Cheers!

to view more.