1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Newbold IPA - Philadelphia Brewing Company

Newbold IPANewbold IPA

Philadelphia Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: callmemickey on 03-14-2008)

1.5/5  rDev -56%

1.68/5  rDev -50.7%

I honestly do not mean to bashing this beer, though I must be honest.
Phil Brew Company must of released a bad batch.
The carbination is insane, it keeps coming. It's this pale white soapy smelling and tasting head that doesn't stop swelling for around 5mins. Honestly shocking that this was sold to the public.
IBUs must be very low. Why are they marketing this as a "BOLD" IPA? Have they ever drank Double Bastard?
You would expect something like Warrior hops in this, but there isn't.
If I don't think about the overwhelming bad head, the taste is a very bland IPA w/ little flavor. The bottle actually says, "aggressively hopped"...

FYI: This case of beer has been sitting in a house w/ 3 homebrew hop heads for the past 3months and only 4 beers have been taken out of that case.

1.8/5  rDev -47.2%

I don't like Newbold IPA. This is the first craft beer that I really don't like. I may drink my beer warmer than most people. This beer has a heavy mouth feel and a sweet heavy syrup taste.
Drinkabilty for me is very low.
I bought a case of this on special recomended by a salesperson. I am so desperate I even mixed some Bud to get a better taste. I live in Philly and don't like bashing the home town brew.
I won't be trying another Philadelphia Brewing CO product in the near future. I may end up getting rid of the rest of this beer rather than play mixer man.
So far I have found that I like Pale Ale, IPAs and even some EPAs. I would not recommend someone try Newbold as their introduction to an IPA or even a craft beer.

2.05/5  rDev -39.9%

to say that this was unexciting is an understatement. There was a few of us sitting around trying some new ipa's and all of a sudden i hear "guess they dont now what they are doing in philadelphia."

when taking into context the price to value ratio i would definitely agree.

appearance was ok with a decent head.

smell- it smelled like an ipa but i think i evaporated half the beer trying to smell it.

taste- it tasted like an ipa there was some hops but there was nothing exceptional.

mouthfeel- mouthfeel was one of the few bright spots of this beer, you got fairly decent texture in your mouth

drinkability- this could be a session beer, but not at the price for which it is sold. If it were about $2.00 cheaper a six pack it would have definitely rated better, but at the current pricing which is just a little better lower than Stone IPA, i would definitely go for the stone or any number of other beers at more reasonable.

2.08/5  rDev -39%

Thanks to AdamGarcia for sending this as an extra!

12oz bottle served into a pint glass

Pours out a cloudy orange. The body is unattractive, frankly. It isn't hazy in a pretty way. Meh. The head billowed out like a cumulonimbus formation; it reached 4 fingers at its apex and this was an average-strength pour! The foam is slow to recede. It is very dense at first, looking like a solid mass, then the bubbles expand and it implodes. The lacing is pretty superb.

The nose is hoppy up front but in a pilsner way -- all crispness and grassy notes. There is a light, light sense of maltiness but mostly the grassy, spruce aromas dominate. If this was thrown at me blind I would not in any way think that this beer was an IPA based on its smell.

The aroma follows the nose unfortunately. Its all grass and spruce and spearmint hop flavors. Its bitter and minty and medicinal and woodsy and just _off_. Rolling the drink around in my mouth I pick up some apple skin on the back sides of the tongue. the malt peeks through as a dry biscuit flavor; it doesn't offer anything of import. Man, that mint/tree sap flavor really eats at your palate on the finish. This is a, um, unique IPA for sure.

This beer is on the thicker side of medium-bodied but I never perceive it as a negative aspect. It feels present. That is to say, you can tell that there is beer in your mouth but there isn't anything to note about it. I can't rate this as drinkable. The mouthfeel isn't doing anything detrimental to drinkability but the weird flavors sure do.

Weird, weird beer. It does not taste like an IPA. It does not taste like a good beer. As always, I'm grateful to have tried it; I now know the dangers of selecting hops that make your beer taste like mint gum mixed with tree bark.

2.4/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a clear golden color with an inch of head. Clinging lacing on the glass as the foam subsides.

S: Weak fruity hop aroma with a hint of caramel and a strange metallic tinge.

T: Medium bitterness as one would expect from an IPA with a floral flavor. A slight malty caramel backbone supports the decent hop flavor. Strange taste of pennies and old tea turns me off at the end.

M: Smooth mouthfeel with very limited carbonation.

D: Not great for an IPA, I don't have much desire to drink more than what I already have in my glass.

2.42/5  rDev -29%

Another notch on the ol' IPA belt here. This one if from our PA pals to the east. Pours a clear, deep, red amber with some rusty orange highlights. The thin, bubbly head recedes quickly and is nowhere to be found in a few seconds. Some faint strings of lace stick about.

The aroma is definitely on the mild side. Some sweet, slightly fruity, caramel malt and somewhat citrusy, spicy hops. Toasted biscuit and marichino cherry juice.

Not exactly what I expected for a brew that promises "...intensity of flavors" and "...the citrusy flavors and aromas India Pale Ale lovers crave." Certainly a reasonable hop profile with some citrus to speak of but I'd say the hop profile is actually pretty abbreviated for the style. The malt is there, sweet and bready, but a rather mild feel overall. A slick honey note floats arounds as well. Some distinct mineral and metallic dryness tries to peak through and makes for a semi-dry finish; does little for the lacking hop profile though. There is some mild floral pine and a definite lasting bitterness but the real flavor of the Amarillos doesn't translate too well. Booze is present in the finish also, especially as it warms a bit.

Lighter to medium bodied with some soft, mellow carbonation. The booze and lasting bitterness do dry up the finish a bit however, despite the slick, sweet malt. I wanted to like it and I'm certainly not an IPA snob that frowns on anything that's not a big, citrusy, hop bombs, but even without the promises set forth before sampling, I think I would have still been left wanting a bit more.

2.48/5  rDev -27.3%

Really didn't care for this

2.55/5  rDev -25.2%

Served on tap at various locations in the Philadelphia area.

Pours a dark amber color with foamy white head that quickly dissipates. Aroma is slightly hoppy but nothing special. Somewhat of a balanced IPA with very slight malt character but it comes across bland and not too exciting. I have given this beer many chavces and I just don't like it at all.

2.63/5  rDev -22.9%

Crazy carbonation rises well above the rim of my glass over pours with carbonation forming rocky over poured body. This one is a deep piney and citrus smell to it almost a metallic smell to it in the finish. Flavor is bold with citrus and stick piney tones going on, sweet yes but it's off wit metallic notes to boot. Goes over easy with a rough smelling citrus/pine hop accent. A medium bodied slightly oily textured brew that leaves the carbonation tickling the back of my throat. Drinkability overall is decent not the PA IPA I'm fondest of but it promises everything you'll want on the label. Pretty shitty rendition of a solid American IPA.

2.63/5  rDev -22.9%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; a cyrstal clear slightly orange gold with a nice head and retention.

Smell: Slight grapefruity hops, really slight... a little cookie dough malt in the background.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp, sweet with low carbonation.

Taste: Thin and bitter initially with a slightly unpleasant bitter aftertaste, it's missing the sweet oiliness.

Drinkability: This was a vaulue pickup at $20 for a 24 pack variety in Philly... I'm disappionted with this one... nowhere near as good as Rowhouse Red or Walt Wit... it's innocuous, but I would avoid this one when there are so many good IPA's out there.

2.68/5  rDev -21.4%

a- bottle poured into a pint, half inch head, light amber coloring, lacing sticks and trails.

s- clean, some peppery rye, almost tart, some bitterness.

t- toasted malt forward, earthy bitterness, lemon, i'm getting some rye in here as well, not a wonderful ipa here, i like bitterness but this kind of bitterness i'm not a fan of.

m- medium body.

d- not great, i wouldn't drink this one again.

Newbold IPA from Philadelphia Brewing Company