Newbold IPA - Philadelphia Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: callmemickey on 03-14-2008

Ratings: 227 | Reviews: 122
1.71/5  rDev -49.9%

I honestly do not mean to bashing this beer, though I must be honest.
Phil Brew Company must of released a bad batch.
The carbination is insane, it keeps coming. It's this pale white soapy smelling and tasting head that doesn't stop swelling for around 5mins. Honestly shocking that this was sold to the public.
IBUs must be very low. Why are they marketing this as a "BOLD" IPA? Have they ever drank Double Bastard?
You would expect something like Warrior hops in this, but there isn't.
If I don't think about the overwhelming bad head, the taste is a very bland IPA w/ little flavor. The bottle actually says, "aggressively hopped"...

FYI: This case of beer has been sitting in a house w/ 3 homebrew hop heads for the past 3months and only 4 beers have been taken out of that case.

1.85/5  rDev -45.7%

I don't like Newbold IPA. This is the first craft beer that I really don't like. I may drink my beer warmer than most people. This beer has a heavy mouth feel and a sweet heavy syrup taste.
Drinkabilty for me is very low.
I bought a case of this on special recomended by a salesperson. I am so desperate I even mixed some Bud to get a better taste. I live in Philly and don't like bashing the home town brew.
I won't be trying another Philadelphia Brewing CO product in the near future. I may end up getting rid of the rest of this beer rather than play mixer man.
So far I have found that I like Pale Ale, IPAs and even some EPAs. I would not recommend someone try Newbold as their introduction to an IPA or even a craft beer.

2.06/5  rDev -39.6%

to say that this was unexciting is an understatement. There was a few of us sitting around trying some new ipa's and all of a sudden i hear "guess they dont now what they are doing in philadelphia."

when taking into context the price to value ratio i would definitely agree.

appearance was ok with a decent head.

smell- it smelled like an ipa but i think i evaporated half the beer trying to smell it.

taste- it tasted like an ipa there was some hops but there was nothing exceptional.

mouthfeel- mouthfeel was one of the few bright spots of this beer, you got fairly decent texture in your mouth

drinkability- this could be a session beer, but not at the price for which it is sold. If it were about $2.00 cheaper a six pack it would have definitely rated better, but at the current pricing which is just a little better lower than Stone IPA, i would definitely go for the stone or any number of other beers at more reasonable.

2.12/5  rDev -37.8%

Thanks to AdamGarcia for sending this as an extra!

12oz bottle served into a pint glass

Pours out a cloudy orange. The body is unattractive, frankly. It isn't hazy in a pretty way. Meh. The head billowed out like a cumulonimbus formation; it reached 4 fingers at its apex and this was an average-strength pour! The foam is slow to recede. It is very dense at first, looking like a solid mass, then the bubbles expand and it implodes. The lacing is pretty superb.

The nose is hoppy up front but in a pilsner way -- all crispness and grassy notes. There is a light, light sense of maltiness but mostly the grassy, spruce aromas dominate. If this was thrown at me blind I would not in any way think that this beer was an IPA based on its smell.

The aroma follows the nose unfortunately. Its all grass and spruce and spearmint hop flavors. Its bitter and minty and medicinal and woodsy and just _off_. Rolling the drink around in my mouth I pick up some apple skin on the back sides of the tongue. the malt peeks through as a dry biscuit flavor; it doesn't offer anything of import. Man, that mint/tree sap flavor really eats at your palate on the finish. This is a, um, unique IPA for sure.

This beer is on the thicker side of medium-bodied but I never perceive it as a negative aspect. It feels present. That is to say, you can tell that there is beer in your mouth but there isn't anything to note about it. I can't rate this as drinkable. The mouthfeel isn't doing anything detrimental to drinkability but the weird flavors sure do.

Weird, weird beer. It does not taste like an IPA. It does not taste like a good beer. As always, I'm grateful to have tried it; I now know the dangers of selecting hops that make your beer taste like mint gum mixed with tree bark.

2.4/5  rDev -29.6%

Another notch on the ol' IPA belt here. This one if from our PA pals to the east. Pours a clear, deep, red amber with some rusty orange highlights. The thin, bubbly head recedes quickly and is nowhere to be found in a few seconds. Some faint strings of lace stick about.

The aroma is definitely on the mild side. Some sweet, slightly fruity, caramel malt and somewhat citrusy, spicy hops. Toasted biscuit and marichino cherry juice.

Not exactly what I expected for a brew that promises "...intensity of flavors" and "...the citrusy flavors and aromas India Pale Ale lovers crave." Certainly a reasonable hop profile with some citrus to speak of but I'd say the hop profile is actually pretty abbreviated for the style. The malt is there, sweet and bready, but a rather mild feel overall. A slick honey note floats arounds as well. Some distinct mineral and metallic dryness tries to peak through and makes for a semi-dry finish; does little for the lacking hop profile though. There is some mild floral pine and a definite lasting bitterness but the real flavor of the Amarillos doesn't translate too well. Booze is present in the finish also, especially as it warms a bit.

Lighter to medium bodied with some soft, mellow carbonation. The booze and lasting bitterness do dry up the finish a bit however, despite the slick, sweet malt. I wanted to like it and I'm certainly not an IPA snob that frowns on anything that's not a big, citrusy, hop bombs, but even without the promises set forth before sampling, I think I would have still been left wanting a bit more.

2.44/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a clear golden color with an inch of head. Clinging lacing on the glass as the foam subsides.

S: Weak fruity hop aroma with a hint of caramel and a strange metallic tinge.

T: Medium bitterness as one would expect from an IPA with a floral flavor. A slight malty caramel backbone supports the decent hop flavor. Strange taste of pennies and old tea turns me off at the end.

M: Smooth mouthfeel with very limited carbonation.

D: Not great for an IPA, I don't have much desire to drink more than what I already have in my glass.

2.54/5  rDev -25.5%

Really didn't care for this

2.58/5  rDev -24.3%

Served on tap at various locations in the Philadelphia area.

Pours a dark amber color with foamy white head that quickly dissipates. Aroma is slightly hoppy but nothing special. Somewhat of a balanced IPA with very slight malt character but it comes across bland and not too exciting. I have given this beer many chavces and I just don't like it at all.

2.64/5  rDev -22.6%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; a cyrstal clear slightly orange gold with a nice head and retention.

Smell: Slight grapefruity hops, really slight... a little cookie dough malt in the background.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp, sweet with low carbonation.

Taste: Thin and bitter initially with a slightly unpleasant bitter aftertaste, it's missing the sweet oiliness.

Drinkability: This was a vaulue pickup at $20 for a 24 pack variety in Philly... I'm disappionted with this one... nowhere near as good as Rowhouse Red or Walt Wit... it's innocuous, but I would avoid this one when there are so many good IPA's out there.

2.65/5  rDev -22.3%

Crazy carbonation rises well above the rim of my glass over pours with carbonation forming rocky over poured body. This one is a deep piney and citrus smell to it almost a metallic smell to it in the finish. Flavor is bold with citrus and stick piney tones going on, sweet yes but it's off wit metallic notes to boot. Goes over easy with a rough smelling citrus/pine hop accent. A medium bodied slightly oily textured brew that leaves the carbonation tickling the back of my throat. Drinkability overall is decent not the PA IPA I'm fondest of but it promises everything you'll want on the label. Pretty shitty rendition of a solid American IPA.

2.7/5  rDev -20.8%

a- bottle poured into a pint, half inch head, light amber coloring, lacing sticks and trails.

s- clean, some peppery rye, almost tart, some bitterness.

t- toasted malt forward, earthy bitterness, lemon, i'm getting some rye in here as well, not a wonderful ipa here, i like bitterness but this kind of bitterness i'm not a fan of.

m- medium body.

d- not great, i wouldn't drink this one again.

2.8/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: snifter. vibrant, burnt orange color. huge white head, with great retention and phenomenal lacing.

S: aroma is a cross between oranges and grapefruits. some sweet malts but the citrus hop aroma powers through.

T: flavors of oranges, but a little light on the overall. some big bitter flavors, but this is just unappealing to me. some metal in the taste, like pennies.

M: a little dry, and harsh. mild carbonation. some bad off flavors.

D: maybe I had a bad bottle, but nothing great. bitters are too high. not for me, I love hops, and this just isn't balanced.

An average offering from an average brewery. I recently purchased a mixpack of their Kenzinger, Newbold, Rowhouse Red, and Walt Wit. The IPA was average, pouring an amber color with decent head. The taste was hoppy/spicy, but offered little else in the way of excitement. Overall, an average IPA; nothing too good or bad about it.

3.01/5  rDev -11.7%

The beer pours a slightly amber color with not much head at all, maybe a touch of lace here and there. Where's the nose on this beer. My god I have to cup my hands around the glass and practically inhale to get any whiff. This beer is supposed to be dry hopped too, with what I ask, because there is the faintest sweet grain and floral in the nose and that's all.

The beer is modestly carbonated and has a really spicy hopped bite. The beer has an acerbic bitterness and a slightly perfumed quality to it. There are some interesting grainy malts underneath but the spicy and leafy hop presence makes anything underneath a bit hard to detect. The label says this is made with Cascade hops, who am I to argue. My guess would be that this is a single hopped Cascade IPA, it doesn't have loads of complexity. The beer is fairly light bodied and doesn't have the nice bready or thick mid section to balance out the bitterness. The hop isn't particularly estery or juicy, just a tad peppery. There is a slight fruitiness underneath the hop but it's not that apparent. This IPA isn't the best, but it's not the worst either.

3.05/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Serious overload of carbonation that almost resulted in a spillover, 4 inches of head to 1 inch of beer on an easy pour, the head settles to become rocky and with significant lacing, the color is gold with a slight brown tea hue - 3.00, S: The nose is somewhat minty and herbal, significant grains and with a touch of spiciness - 3.00, T: Medium hop bite though mild for an IPA, piney and earthy as well as being slightly medicinal, a little on the dry side - 3.00, M: Mouth feel is mildly creamy - 3.50, D: An okay IPA, lacks the hops that defines the style - 3.00

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

Pulled from a sampler pack bottled on 4/2/08. One of the first cases from the new PBC!

A: Poured into an Imperial Pint glass. A clear, pale amber color (not the crimson the bottle promises) with a 2-finger head of beige foam that recedes to a well-retained cap with gobs of sticky lacing that sheet down the opposite side of the glass.

S: A beautiful aroma of citrus and floral hops with sweet honey. More well-balanced than hoppy. A nice malt scent with a musty hint of figs reveals itself as the head recedes.

T: Pleasantly bitter, but I'm not getting much flavor from the aromatic hops. Surprisingly enough, the fig flavor is coming through in the taste as well. It's actually got a bit of a "funk" to it. Not unappealing, just not what I'd look for in an IPA. Nowhere near as "aggressively" hopped as the label claims. It doesn't have a single "stand-out" taste, but the overall balance is very unique for the style.

M: Smooth and perfectly carbonated. Finish lingers for awhile after each sip. Bitterness builds as the glass empties, which is a good thing in this case.

D/O: The first few times I sampled this beer, I found it to be thin, watery, and not very flavorful despite the nice nose. I'm glad I took the time to sit down and review my last bottle, because I didn't think that way when I gave the beer some time. What I did find is an IPA that doesn't really taste the way I personally think one should. Perhaps they were going for an English style (which I'm not very familiar with), but the fig funk and relatively light influence from the expected hoppiness confuses me, and therefore make this a beer that while enjoyable, I wouldn't reach for when I'm in the mood for an IPA. A nice, well-made and interesting tasting beer that just falls short when compared against the style.

3.1/5  rDev -9.1%

A free sample, got it when I bought some beer I wanted (Arrogant Bastard ale). Little head, not much carbonation. Maybe my fault, put it in the freezer to cool it off quick. Some citrus flavor, makes me think more of iced tea than beer. Would not buy. OK to cool off.

3.11/5  rDev -8.8%

12oz bottle to pint glass.
Nice looking brew here. Pale gold, looks similar to honey in color. Big white head with good retention. Smell is malty with a little grapefruit from the hops. Taste is very malt forward for an AIPA. Sweet honey, licorice, rye and grapefruit make up the palate. Hops are there but aren't bright and get lost in the malts. Mouthfeel is fluid with mild dryness. Decent brew but isn't a great example of the style.

3.11/5  rDev -8.8%

Never heard of these guys until I saw this for sale up in Totowa. Even though I've had a zillion IPA's, I'm willing to give anything new a shot once. That being said, many of the reviewers on here were less-than-crazy about this and I'd have to agree with them, as this beer is not even close to measuring up to other IPA's that I've had.

The pour was far and away the best part of this beer. A head that filled my glass up, a very opaque dark amber hue, and strong lacing made this beer stand out from others that I've had lately. The smell wasn't really that memorable which pretty much gave away the taste. Like other beers of this style, there's a strong floral element here but the hops are not of a bitter strength and there seems to be a very heavy amount of spice to this - along the lines of black pepper mixed in with a heavy metallic undertone. The citrus and resin that are characteristic of this beers west coast counterparts are missing here, replaced by a somewhat thin mouthfeel. Needless to say, the aftertaste is not one worth savoring, as it's just leftover spice mixed in with a somewhat heavy metal taste...

The 6.50% ABV is a bit misleading because the alcohol seems to come right through the flavors (or lack thereof) and make this seem a lot stronger than it really is. On tap, this might work as this probably wouldn't pour as dull and heavy to the taste but from a bottle, this just doesn't come together well. This is too common a style to fall short on and I can only hope that Philadelphia Brewing has more coming out in the near future.

3.12/5  rDev -8.5%

A - Orange-copper tone. Utterly transparent. Thin head with minimal lacing.

S - Warm and roasty with a good hop aroma.

T - Similar to smell. Thin malt with hop flavor dominant. Long hop finish.

M - Again thin and watery.

D - Hop bite keeps drinkability low.

3.12/5  rDev -8.5%

I enjoy most of Philadelphia Brewing Comapany's beers as good middle of the road brews and great beers for the money but this is probably my least favorite that they brew.

The color is light golden with about a finger of head and the nose is earthy and almost fruity without much room for hops. My big problem with the taste is that it claims to be an IPA but really has very little hop kick at all. Its a beer (at 6%) you could probably drink all day but not if you're looking for a nice hoppy beer.

PBC beers are always a pretty good choice but this one is on the lower end of the beers they brew.

3.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a golden orange color, huge fluffy white head that diminishes quickly, leaving little lacing, slighlt oily residue. Smell is of stale hops and a metallic sulfury scent. Taste follows smell with bitter, yet flavorless hops and a slight sulfury and metallic taste. Thin yet slightly oily, overly carbonated. Meh... just doesnt do it for me.

3.2/5  rDev -6.2%

-L- Dirty golden brown. Active carbonation

-S- Clean. pleasant hops scent jumps right out at you.

-T- Good blend of hops. Controlled spices. Very nice.

-F- This is a really well balanced IPA. The hops they chose work very well together.

-D- Overall I enjoyed this drink. Is it my favorite IPA? No. Would I have it again. You bet. Well done PBC!!

3.21/5  rDev -5.9%

A brewery in Philly I've yet to have a beer from...

Pours a dark golden color with some orangey hues along with a half inch bubbly white head.

Smell is a strange combination of herbs, some spicey hoppiness and citrus. There is also a certain "peppery" smell.

Taste is definitely unique in the world of American IPAs. The familiar piney, grapefruity stuff we look for is not present. Instead its a more spicey/herbal IPA with a very lemony tart finish. No West Coast hops are present in this beer as far as I can taste.

I could possibly drink two of these in one sitting but I'd really be jonesing for a beer with a real hop profile.

3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

I bought a variety 6-pk at Wegman's for a beer tasting night knowing how much my buddy and I both enjoy IPA's....I was not impressed with this beer at all.

A - Slight amber color. Poured into a pint glass, noticed heavy carbonation and light frothy head.

S - Ok, heavy hop aroma, very little citrus smell. Smells like a hoppy pilsner.

T - Again, Ok. I'm a pretty big DFH fan, this has great hoppiness but lacking the caramel taste and richness I love with DFH. Somewhat acidic tastng.

M - This is where the beer goes wrong. Overly carbonated, enough of it that it gives you too much bite.

D - In my book, a cheaper tasting IPA. My buddy and I enjoy tasting a lot a of beers and each month get together. This beer was below average. It tastes like a cheap IPA that you buy if your on a shoestring budget.

Would not recommend. Cheers!

Newbold IPA from Philadelphia Brewing Company