Fleur De Lehigh - Philadelphia Brewing Company

Belgian Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: garcia2a on 06-11-2008

Ratings: 182 | Reviews: 77

Cloudy gold beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is pine needles.Taste is flowery and disgusting.It truly tastes like someone brewed a variety of flowers with rain water.One of just a handful of beers I've ever poured down the drain.A waste of money..total garbage!!

1.18/5  rDev -64.7%

This pours a cloudy yellow with a thick head and no lace. There's a ton of yeast floating in the beer. The aroma is a mix of witbier lemon and hefe banana with a hint of hay. The flavor is mainly sour lemons and not much else. It's mouthfeel is light. Philadelphia Fleur De Lehigh is a forgettable beer. Not recommended!

1.7/5  rDev -49.1%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A generous extra from seans86. Thanks Sean!

A: Pours a cloudy deep golden body with a very poorly retaining off-white head. No lace.

S: Candied ginger and flower petals.

T: Candied ginger, rose, and just the barest hint of spice (clove?) before progressing into a watery finish. I'll score the watery characteristic in the mouthfeel, but the reason I'm unimpressed with the taste is how dominant the candied ginger is. The combination of this and rose-water flavor reminds me of an Indian sweetmeat, actually. It's very interesting for the first few ounces and rapidly tapers off after that.

M: Remarkably watery flavor. I thought maybe it was too cold, so I let it warm up, but the sips remained ginger-flavored at the front end and sorely lacking at the back end.

D: I wound up pouring it out.

2.27/5  rDev -32%

appearance; cloudy yellow-orange body with noticeable sediment. Average white head that dissipates to a persistent film. Some delicate lacing.

smell; medicinal malts with a hint of sweetness and cardamom and lemon grass. Spicy hops are very blunt and mellow out the malts. Quite complex but in a cheap ingredient sort of way, not bad but not pleasant either.

taste; so so, taste like the style but of a lesser quality. Spices are definitely perceived. Some citrusy hops and stale ginger powder, ride from start to finish leaving a slightly sour puckering in the aftertaste. Malts are weak and watery and the yeast taste odd.

mouthfeel; medium bodied with a slick finish. Puckers the mouth in the aftertaste.

overall; not terrible and worth a try but I wouldn't drink again unless one was offered to me.

2.28/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A unique beer but not for me

2.62/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Pours a golden/light amber color with just under a finger of off white head. A ring of carbonation remains around the edge of the glass with rather large bubble rising up through the beer like champagne.

Smell: Not the best smelling beer in the world. Mildly floral with a rather strong herbal characteristic. I can smell the malt as well. Just doesn't all work together for me.

Taste: Very herbal. I can pick up the lemongrass and the ginger. There is a mild bready malt flavor as well. Not bad but not great.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with heavy but smooth carbonation. The finish is quite dry.

Overall: Not hugely impressed with this offering. The flavors didn't blend together in a way that was pleasing to me. I don't think I'd have another.

2.66/5  rDev -20.4%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.
After a bad first impression, I decided to give this beer another shot. Poured a copper tinged gold color with some cloudiness. Head was decent sized and had some retention. Smell is interesting but not that appetizing. Bold ginger and pepper with some other spices that are unique to this beer. Taste is milder but still ginger dominate with some lemon zest. A little spice from the yeast. Mouthfeel is thin and fluid with a slight dryness in the finish. Still not a ginger beer fan, but it has grown on me a bit.

2.7/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had been on a warming trend with Philadelphia Brewing Company lately, but this one set back our blossoming new relationship.

Pours hazy orange with a fizzy short lived head. Aroma is like a sharp perfume on an old lady's couch. Cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg. The flavor is like mulled cider, with a thin, unpleasant finish. This is not a good beer.

2.72/5  rDev -18.6%

Thanks for sending this one Steve. Poured into a tulip. This one pours a hazy golden straw color with about a finger of white foam.

The aroma is a bit strange. Initially it reminds me of baking spices like nutmeg and allspice; pretty much aromas I would reserve for darker beers. Underneath all that I get a bit of ginger and caramel malts. Somewhat floral and perfumy with some steamed vegetables. Essentially I would say these are all aromas I would enjoy, they just seem strange all together and aren't impressing me. The flavor here isn't offensive at all. It's actually just a little boring. Pretty much just a light in flavor beer with a little bit of a grassy finish. The spices are just not as present as present. Where as the aroma was to complex, the flavor just doesn't give enough.

The feel is medium with subtle carbonation. It lingers to be a little sticky. Overall I don't dig this. It doesn't taste bad but the aroma simply stinks.

2.79/5  rDev -16.5%

A - golden color like the bottle says with big white head

S - bright spices and flowery with a bit of pale malt fitting for a good summer beer.

T - just too aromatic for me. Ginger and floral notes dominated, and I mean dominated. It was like an herbal smoothy. I liked the ideas of the flavors, but I don't think it was balanced right.

M - as appropriate as the smell; light and smooth feel with average carbonation after it settled

O - I don't plan on buying more. I like an ambitious beer, but this one missed the mark imo. It was just too green for me to recommend. I would welcome a reformulation.

2.82/5  rDev -15.6%

L: Amber and cloudy at the top, more light at the bottom. No head, no lace.
S: Licorice, banana, orange. Spicy.
F: Little foam, slight burn at the end. Pepper aftertaste.

T: First impression is medicinal. Almost like I'm drinking cough medicine or some sort of classic health tonic. It starts like a florist. Peppery fruit dominates. Maybe orange. No banana. The more I tried it I found myself struggling for other things to say. The pepper at the end actually leaves a slight burning in my mouth.

O: One of the bottles was damaged slightly at the top. I opened it and didn't hear a whoosh and saw the dinged glass. It was a drain pour. In a way, maybe I should be glad there's one less of these I didn't consume. From the bottle, it's drinkable. From the glass, not so much.

2.88/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Cloudy golden brown in color. Small head with little to no lacing.

S - Faint hints of lemon and orange, malts, and other assorted spices. Overall it has a sort of musky aroma that isn't too appealing, but not terrible either.

T - A mix of sweet lemon, orange peel, and other citrus flavors throughout. Some toasted malts and peppery spices in the finish. I taste a bit of ginger as well, as the label indicates. Overall, a nice herbal characteristic in its taste.

M - Thin to medium bodied. Slightly syrupy, but very crisp and smooth.

D - Very refreshing. Probably best served on a hot summer day. Makes a good session ale due to the low ABV. While the unique blend of citrus and spice make this worth trying at least once, overall it is a very average beer. Not my favorite offering from PBC.

2.93/5  rDev -12.3%

A- Pale golden color with a very small head. Fades quickly leaving some lacing and a thin film.

S- Lemon, wet hay, spices, and a hint of lightly toasted malt. Similar to a Wit.

T- Light malt followed by lots of spices. Some cloves, but mainly ginger and lemongrass towards the finish.

M- Medium feel, almost creamy. Medium to high level of carbonation.

D/O- Seems like a spicy Wit to me. All in all, this isn't a bad beer. I could have a pint or two of this before the lemongrass and ginger in the finish caught up to me. Cheers.

2.98/5  rDev -10.8%

Thanks to DrRock for the extra!

A - pours a faint copper / browned oranges with a little head

S - smells of some grain malts with a bit of ginger and spice...pretty faint nose

T - this has a couple of things going on in it - is was mostly tea-like in its flavor with hints of ginger. It had a hard to distinguish bread and caramel malt base and ended with a nice floral hop. Not bad.

M - good, full body that goes down smoothly

D - interesting beer for me. The tea flavors and ginger added some unique flavors for me. Weird flavor profile for me though. Definitely worth a try.

-L- Cloudy. Dark Golden. Light Carbonation

-S- Lemon scent hit me right away. Touch of honey in there somewhere

-T- interesting. Lemon and honey create a nice blend that is refreshing.

-F- Suprisingly thin for it's color but easy to drink.

-D- Not filling. Fell a little short in the end but by far my favorite of the PBC's brews. I look forward to next year and having it again!!

3.03/5  rDev -9.3%

Fleur De Lehigh

Pours a pale yellow in color with a small head and some lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Ginger and spice, everything nice. An odd yet inviting nose.

Taste: Ginger up front with some sweetness. This one is brewed with lemongrass, which adds a citrusy/lemon/spice/earthy touch to the ginger. This beer tastes like an excellent compliment to chinese and asian dishes. Really picking up the ginger. Hop profile adds alot of bitterness to keep the taste less sweet than the nose would indicate.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, fairly crisp.

Drinkability: Definately a unique beer, and worth the try for sure. Like I mentioned in the taste, I think this beer would pair well with asian dishes like kung pao chicken or general tsos. Also had this one on tap and is pretty much the same product in the keg as the bottle.

3.07/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Agressive pour led to a big fizz with zero head left at the end. Literally zero head on this beer. There's three bubbles sitting in the middle of the glass looking lonely. Dull brown and copper. Unfilitered doesn't really help the appearance here.

S: Smells like pears poached in red wine. With the usual poached pear characters...cinnamon, clove, bay, some vanilla. Also has an apple pie aroma. This is very interesting for sure. Nothing Belgian about it, that's for sure. Where does this fall in style?

T: Taste is of baked apples, cinnamon some bread. Super sweet and no bitterness whatsoever. Spices are too strong here, I feel like I am taking a teaspoon of dry cinnamon with each sip. Not style specific and certainly doesn't taste like an ale.

M: Thin and very under carbonated. Apple juice is what I'm thinking here.

D: Very flavorful, but where is the carbonation? Where is the Belgian notes?

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a cloudy gold hue with a moderate bright, white head that dissipates quickly, leaving little lace. Yep, looks like your typical golden ale to me.

S: Ginger. Floral and herbal aromas as well. Pretty much it.

T: Flowers and ginger. That's all I get out of this one. I think they went a little overboard with the ginger in this beer. It dominates the flavor, leaving the drinker scratching his head. This one is sure to bore or overwhelm folks rather quickly.

M: Good, above average carbonation. Spicy finish, obviously due to the abundance of ginger. One of the slightly better aspects of this beer.

D: This one could be a quaffer, if the ginger aspect of the beer was lessened. It also suffers in regards to taste and drinkability because the ginger flavor dominates, not letting any other flavor or aspect of the beer come through. One dimensional, although, that wasn't the brewer's intention.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a standard pint from a 12 oz bottle.

A hazy golden ale with a very thin white head. Solid lacing.

Spice forward. Heavily ginger. Solid yeast scent.

Different batches seem to have different levels of spice. This one goes down easy and combines ginger and lightly grassy accents. It's note bad.

A seemingly dry offering with a little too much carbonation. However, the first time it hits your mouth it seems rather wet. Then, the spice hits your throat on the back end and kills an otherwise solid summer effort.

Not a bad beer, perhaps more of an early spring beer. Needs some mouth feel effort. I remember this being a lot better a few years back. For a beer with a ballpark aesthetic, it definitely needs a lot of work. Probably the worst of PBC.

3.16/5  rDev -5.4%

It's what I would want in a hefe. Pretty nice on a hot day! Not over the top in flavors, but very drinkable for sure. Hasn't turned me off. Given the choice between this and a Franz or Hofbrau I'd probably go German. Between this and Sam's Summer, I'll take the Fleur de Lehigh.

3.16/5  rDev -5.4%

12 oz bottle courtesy of groetman. Pours a golden unfiltered haze with a very thin head that dissipates quickly. Spices upfront in the aroma with Ginger nutmeg and pepper. The taste follows the nose with Ginger as the star. It's light and highly carbonated. Not a bad brew just not something I'd drink every day. It's different and if you really like Ginger this is a beer for you.

3.17/5  rDev -5.1%

Ap. Very cloudy brown golden color with zero head. Zero. Looks like unfiltered apple cider.
Sm. Lots of stuff in there, spice, clove? woody lemony sourness, but tastes sweet.
Ta. Spicy herb-like, maybe grassy, woody, organic, but very clean and fresh.
Mf. Smooth, light, slight carbonation.
Dr. Ok, kind of a fleury-taste.

3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

On tap at Capones.

Poured a medium and lightly hazy golden color with a smaller sized white head. Aromas of ginger, lemon grass, citrus, and a little fruity. Tastes of ginger, citrus, honey, and spices. Drinkable but nothing really standing out.

Notes from and tasted on: 4/20/09

3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

This is an occasional special brew from Philadelphia Brewing. It was available last summer and again this summer. Lemon and spice dominate in this beer. It lacks the depth of many better spicy brews but it is light and refreshing. That makes it a good summertime diversion but not one that I would order very often.

3.24/5  rDev -3%

Had this on 2011-03-09 at the Drafting Room in Exton, PA (from tasting notes)

A - Semi-cloudy, golden with a short, white head.

S - Very, ery flowery with cinamon and other spices. Can smell it from 3 feet away.

T - Quite odd. You can taste the earthy rhubarb. Reminds me of drinking a Jack LaLane blended vegatable mix with some added hop bitterness. It has a LOT of flavor for a low ABV beer and to me, it wasn't off-putting (maybe because I like V8 juice :>)

M - Light body and light-medium carbonation. Nothing special.

D - Kind of skanky and weird but I'm glad I tried it.

Fleur De Lehigh from Philadelphia Brewing Company