Fleur De Lehigh - Philadelphia Brewing Company

Philadelphia Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: garcia2a on 06-11-2008)

Cloudy gold beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is pine needles.Taste is flowery and disgusting.It truly tastes like someone brewed a variety of flowers with rain water.One of just a handful of beers I've ever poured down the drain.A waste of money..total garbage!!

1.15/5  rDev -65.6%

This pours a cloudy yellow with a thick head and no lace. There's a ton of yeast floating in the beer. The aroma is a mix of witbier lemon and hefe banana with a hint of hay. The flavor is mainly sour lemons and not much else. It's mouthfeel is light. Philadelphia Fleur De Lehigh is a forgettable beer. Not recommended!

1.5/5  rDev -55.1%

1.5/5  rDev -55.1%

1.7/5  rDev -49.1%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A generous extra from seans86. Thanks Sean!

A: Pours a cloudy deep golden body with a very poorly retaining off-white head. No lace.

S: Candied ginger and flower petals.

T: Candied ginger, rose, and just the barest hint of spice (clove?) before progressing into a watery finish. I'll score the watery characteristic in the mouthfeel, but the reason I'm unimpressed with the taste is how dominant the candied ginger is. The combination of this and rose-water flavor reminds me of an Indian sweetmeat, actually. It's very interesting for the first few ounces and rapidly tapers off after that.

M: Remarkably watery flavor. I thought maybe it was too cold, so I let it warm up, but the sips remained ginger-flavored at the front end and sorely lacking at the back end.

D: I wound up pouring it out.

2.25/5  rDev -32.6%

appearance; cloudy yellow-orange body with noticeable sediment. Average white head that dissipates to a persistent film. Some delicate lacing.

smell; medicinal malts with a hint of sweetness and cardamom and lemon grass. Spicy hops are very blunt and mellow out the malts. Quite complex but in a cheap ingredient sort of way, not bad but not pleasant either.

taste; so so, taste like the style but of a lesser quality. Spices are definitely perceived. Some citrusy hops and stale ginger powder, ride from start to finish leaving a slightly sour puckering in the aftertaste. Malts are weak and watery and the yeast taste odd.

mouthfeel; medium bodied with a slick finish. Puckers the mouth in the aftertaste.

overall; not terrible and worth a try but I wouldn't drink again unless one was offered to me.

2.63/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Pours a golden/light amber color with just under a finger of off white head. A ring of carbonation remains around the edge of the glass with rather large bubble rising up through the beer like champagne.

Smell: Not the best smelling beer in the world. Mildly floral with a rather strong herbal characteristic. I can smell the malt as well. Just doesn't all work together for me.

Taste: Very herbal. I can pick up the lemongrass and the ginger. There is a mild bready malt flavor as well. Not bad but not great.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with heavy but smooth carbonation. The finish is quite dry.

Overall: Not hugely impressed with this offering. The flavors didn't blend together in a way that was pleasing to me. I don't think I'd have another.

2.7/5  rDev -19.2%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.
After a bad first impression, I decided to give this beer another shot. Poured a copper tinged gold color with some cloudiness. Head was decent sized and had some retention. Smell is interesting but not that appetizing. Bold ginger and pepper with some other spices that are unique to this beer. Taste is milder but still ginger dominate with some lemon zest. A little spice from the yeast. Mouthfeel is thin and fluid with a slight dryness in the finish. Still not a ginger beer fan, but it has grown on me a bit.

2.7/5  rDev -19.2%

A - golden color like the bottle says with big white head

S - bright spices and flowery with a bit of pale malt fitting for a good summer beer.

T - just too aromatic for me. Ginger and floral notes dominated, and I mean dominated. It was like an herbal smoothy. I liked the ideas of the flavors, but I don't think it was balanced right.

M - as appropriate as the smell; light and smooth feel with average carbonation after it settled

O - I don't plan on buying more. I like an ambitious beer, but this one missed the mark imo. It was just too green for me to recommend. I would welcome a reformulation.

2.73/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had been on a warming trend with Philadelphia Brewing Company lately, but this one set back our blossoming new relationship.

Pours hazy orange with a fizzy short lived head. Aroma is like a sharp perfume on an old lady's couch. Cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg. The flavor is like mulled cider, with a thin, unpleasant finish. This is not a good beer.

2.75/5  rDev -17.7%

Thanks for sending this one Steve. Poured into a tulip. This one pours a hazy golden straw color with about a finger of white foam.

The aroma is a bit strange. Initially it reminds me of baking spices like nutmeg and allspice; pretty much aromas I would reserve for darker beers. Underneath all that I get a bit of ginger and caramel malts. Somewhat floral and perfumy with some steamed vegetables. Essentially I would say these are all aromas I would enjoy, they just seem strange all together and aren't impressing me. The flavor here isn't offensive at all. It's actually just a little boring. Pretty much just a light in flavor beer with a little bit of a grassy finish. The spices are just not as present as present. Where as the aroma was to complex, the flavor just doesn't give enough.

The feel is medium with subtle carbonation. It lingers to be a little sticky. Overall I don't dig this. It doesn't taste bad but the aroma simply stinks.

Fleur De Lehigh from Philadelphia Brewing Company