Joe Coffee Porter - Philadelphia Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: gdfan47 on 01-17-2009

This is the best coffee beer I have yet tasted. The coffee taste is fresh and authentic, like a nice cup of black. Too often beers in this style have the taste of a pot of joe that has been on the heat too long, but this one is just right.

Can't beat the price for a beer of this caliber too, $24 for the case.

4.57/5  rDev +21.2%

a: This was a dark brown color, almost black. It poured with a medium sized, fizzy head.

s: Gentle coffee aromas and a little bit of malty chocolate.

t: Nothing big or overpowering, but also nothing off. The coffee that takes center stage is spot-on. Roasty, mildly bitter and not at all sour or acidic. There is also some chocolate hiding in the backround as well as a little vanilla.

m: Gentle carbonation and a long lasting coffee aftertaste.

d: I tend to lump all coffee beers together, which isn't fair. This isn't meant to be a Breakfast Stout. In a beer world full mocha lattes and the like, this stands out as just a really good cup of Joe. This beer is exactly what it was intended to be, a sessionable coffee beer. I need to look for a case.

4.54/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint. Side note: I've enjoyed this beer for a while now every time it comes around. It seems even better this year, I'm getting more coffee out of this.

Second side note: Best served slightly less than cold.

Appearance: Pitch black with a tanish head that sticks around for a little. Looks the part and keeps its head.

Smell: On point, smells like a pot of coffee.

Taste: This year I'm picking up more coffee than before. This almost tastes straight up like coffee in beer form. Besides that, obviously malts in the background, and ever such a slight amount of hops at the end. Coffee also comes out better if this isn't served ice cold, so if you're drinking it that way, you may "be doin' it wrong." It's great. I don't get why people don't like this. Maybe they're bias towards Yards beers or something. This is a great beer. Was before, seems even better this year.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, kind of goes down... like coffee. Carbonation isn't too bad.

I really do adore this beer. This is also from someone who dug that coffee Pepsi from way back when, so take that for what you will.

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

This one poured a dark cola brown with a little purple sneaking in around the edges. The head is an irregular film and thick collar of light tan. A little stuck around the sides of my glass.

Smells of sweet, sweet, cold brewed coffee. I think this smell could make anything better. I'm loving it! Beneath is a dry toasty grain that just reminds me of a more astringent coffee. Mmmm, cold brewed coffee... I'm having trouble being objective here.

Tastes of thin coffee backed by a touch of toasty grains. In the midst of things a light, woody tree bark shows up, bringing with it a touch of leafy greens. Wow, where the porter ends and the coffee picks up is beyond me.

Feels a bit viscous, but the way it traps in the bubbles is worth it. This is really a lively beer to drink. Finishes with a not unpleasant film in my mouth.

One of the best uses of coffee I've ever had. On top of that, it's local and inexpensive. I'll be looking for a case the next time this is out.

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks to JMurray999 for throwing together the big Philly split that included this bad boy.

Appearance: Pours a very deep dark brown color with a nice half inch of foamy, off-white colored head. Retention isn't bad, and there is some nice thick lacing clinging to the sides of the glass.

Smell: A nice, sweet roasted malt with some mild coffee elements throughout. Very nicely balanced with no one characteristic really standing out.

Taste: A very tasty blend of coffee, hints of chocolate, and roasted malt. I'm actually surprised at the flavor this one has, it's very robust for a porter. This brew is comparable more to a bigger stout. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Thick, creamy, and full-bodied. Beyond what I expected for a porter.

Drinkability: Top notch, definitely an unexpected treat. Great flavor with an outstanding presence in the glass and on the palate. It's a shame I don't have any more...I'll have to pick some up on my next beer run.

4.37/5  rDev +15.9%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. One of the absolute worst labels I've seen on a beer. PBC labels usually appeal to me... I don't know what they were thinking here and I'm tempted to dock points... but I won't. The beer is damn nearly a pitch perfect 'black'... viscous looking, heavy and totally opaque. A mocha colored head sits tight at 1/4 finger. Some low-viscous lacing dissipates back into the glass. We're in stout territory with this visage. Works for me.

Aroma is damn near sublime. Vanilla bean ice cream and [light roast] coffee float, smothered in hot fudge. Exactly that, no more. But it doesn't need anything else. My wife and I can't stop passing this back and forth taking deep whiffs followed by exclamations of pure satisfaction. By the smell of this I'd guess it sits above 7%. One of the most impressive Porters I've smelled.

I need to take a minute and nitpick the mouthfeel - it is light, quick and well carbonated. I enjoy the carbonation keeping things crisp, but otherwise this could use some work. More body would add some needed heft... presence. Still this beer is impressive on the mouth. Joe tells a good story - if he's not deeply complex. Plenty of roasted malt up front... opens into balanced mix of coffee, cocoa, vanilla and milk. At its peak it seems to alternate between slightly bitter coffee notes and loong, sweet vanilla milk. condensed milk almost. Sweet tobacco shows up towards the finish - now I'm getting a hint of the 'complex' profile I seek out in a top notch porter. Hops enter into the equation as the beer leaves the mouth - needed and welcomed at this point. Warm and earthy, coating just slightly in the throat. This is not an example of a coffee porter that is all COFFEE. That element plays an ensemble role and that is greatly appreciated. A few tweaks - namely a thicker mouthfeel, some darker and dryer notes - and this beer is one for the record books. As it stands now, it is an impressive example

4.37/5  rDev +15.9%

I really should visit Bill and Nancy Barton more often! I used to be a fixture at the old Weisbrod & Hess bulding until I started hitting the road during my summers. Today, my beer scribe colleague, Rich Wagner, is giving a lecture and since I was looking for a reason to visit, this is me.

It was presented to me with a big two fingers' worth of light-tan head with decent retention. Nose left no doubt that this was coffee-infused. I have been drinking a lot of coffee beers lately and in my mind, that is not a bad thing. As a US Navy retiree, I slurped down my fair share of coffee over the years. The term "Joe" actually comes from a Navy Chaplain who would take coffee to watchstanders on cold nights. This Joe had a deep-brown color when held up to the natural light with some light penetration, but it was still pretty murky. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, approaching creaminess off of a standard CO2 tap. The taste was bitter coffee, the way I brew and drink it. Hot and back, like some of my women. If you want to drink a hot milkshake, don't look to me for cream and sugar. I was really enjoying the way it really reminded me of my morning cuppa, especially on the finish. I need to figure out some way of spiking my coffee at school ...

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner - fridge - 2009

Appearance: Pours dark brown with faint orange/brown highlights. A tan head rises 2.5" tall and shows good retention. Some blobs of lace remain behind.

Smell: Dark malts are roasted and there is a coffee gound aroma. Graham cracker, faint licorice, with some sweetness.

Taste: Burnt, roasted malt flavors mix with freshly ground coffee. Some licorice and a slight bitterness. Nicely sweet without being cloying.

Mouthfeel: Roasty, toasted flavors and some sugar content. Bitterness could actually be from the coffee. Smooth, medium body with a clean finish.

Drinkability: This is an exceptional porter that doesn't rely on coffee to be a good beer. It drinks really well and would be easy to session. Try it!

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours black with no light coming through and a one finger head thats thin and disappears quickly.

This has the greatest coffee smell of any beer i've ever had. it literally smells like i just ground up some fresh coffee beans and put them in this pint glass. Its a beautiful thing. A slight touch of chocolate but over all its all coffee.

Great coffee flavor. Theres not much else but coffee going on here and i'm ok with that.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Somewhat watery but smooth and light moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good if you're a coffee lover like myself. This one could use just a bit more substance. I thought it was a little thin. Smell is right on and flavor is pretty good but it could use a bit more body. I have it say it's a lot better then the java head stout i had last week.

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%

Wow I have never added a beer... dont I feel special... I dont drink coffee, never had... but someone told me to check this one out

A- pours a jet black with a little bit of brownish head
S- coffee, coffee, and coffee, and a touch of malt
T- like coffee, a little sweet but mostly coffee
M- really nice , good carbonation, can almost taste the coffee beans
D- very easy drinking, I dont drink cofee but I will reach for this one again

Note: brewed in honor of Philadelphia Beer writer Joe Sixpack
Each batch contains 50 pounds of Peruvian fair trade coffee beans, for now its draft only..

I am not sure if its a limited release or if they will be making it full time or just as a seasonal. Im also not sure of the exact style, "american porter" was my educated guess

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle into Sam Adams sensory glass. Another big thanks to Josh (jyoungsbcp) for this great extra.

Pours black, trailing off to deep ruby brown at the thinnest parts of the glass, with a thin light khaki head on top that disappears as quick as it comes, leaving just a thin ring of bubbles and little chance for lacing.

Nose is coffee - full effect, slightly vegetal, woody, but with a nice, pleasant underpinning of roasted malt and rich chocolate that isn't buried under the coffee, as seems to happen so often in this style.

Taste is more of the same - dark chocolate cake, baked with a nice but not overwhelming dose of coffee grounds, rich and a bit mellow and satisfying in an entirely visceral way that just doesn't demand too much though. Towards the finish, there's a drying effect as the lingering roasty malt and coffee link arms with the deep chocolate and go dancing down your palate. Very light bitterness, light acidity, but well balanced.

Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, with a long, rich finish that some Imperial Stouts would envy. Silky, laid back carbonation that fits the beer perfectly.

Drinkability is correspondingly excellent - smooth mouthfeel, mellow but rich flavors profile, very nice.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Formed a single finger dark sandy head. Moderate lacing after a slow dissipation. Blackish brown body that traps almost all light.

Black coffee, malts and canned peas are the dominant aromas. Undertones of chocolate later.

The taste is coffee, coffee and more coffee. Some roasted malts and chocolate underneath. Finishes with a bitter black coffee kick.

Medium-thin mouth feel; decently creamy and carbonated...close to what you would want in a porter.

Truth in advertising here! If you are a coffee fan, this brew's for you! Very drinkable, but may keep you up at night!!

4.27/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really good coffee porter, more complex than most. Lightly roast chocolate malt isn't overpowered by the coffee, rather enhanced by it. Only gets better as it warms to room temperature. Will buy again to keep on hand for sure.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: poured into my engraved "stan" mug, a dark, translucent porter. not a lot of head left, but that's what i get for letting it sit to warm up a little in the mug.

smell: complicated roasted smell. reminiscent of a starbucks coffee with cream and sugar, mixed with roasted barley. not a lot of hops, but a hint of cream.

taste: tastes like a star bucks cappuccino mixed with a nice balanced porter. mostly coffee flavor (since i live on coffee, this is a big plus), but has a hint of roasted barley in the after taste.

mouthfeel: nice, smooth. not harsh like a coffee is (or should be). makes me want to keep sipping.

overall: this is not a beer for the faint of heart. since coffee is included in the recipe there IS caffeine in this beer. i had one before at 9pm and didn't fall asleep until 2, much to my dismay. this is probably not a bad beer to start your night off with if you have it available. that is unless you're a college student (not unlike myself) who will be downgrading to much less enjoyable beer...
stansylvania approved.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

deep brown pour with a big tan head and lacing.
roasty nose is dominant, coffee as expected coming through strong. Hints of nuts even...a little toasty bread as well noticed.
Taste was in a word, wow. Strong coffee influence highlighted by the roasted grains and malts. Bitter as coffee would be. Bitterness from the coffee or the hops?
I think coffee.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

A: Pours a dark opaque brown color with a fairly thick tan head that leaves some nice lacing.

S: As advertised, smells strongly of coffee with slight hints of chocolate in the background.

T: Nice strong taste of coffee comes across at the beginning. The flavor then moves into some sweet notes with a hint of semisweet chocolate in the background. The flavor ends with a nice lingering flavor of coffee.

M: Pretty thin beer, but has a little bit of chew towards the end.

Overall: Overall the beer was pretty good. If you are a coffee drinker, you'll like this beer. If you hate coffee, I'd advise you to probably stay away because the coffee flavor is very strong. Overall though, I found the coffee flavor to be very satisfying.

4.19/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance: Pours a dark, dark brown (almost black) with an off-white head that quickly vanishes into a sparse film. No noticeable lacing but the head remains in a ring around the glass.

Smell: Dark-roasted coffee beans, wet coffee grounds, and iced coffee. Some bitter cocoa becomes more present with later sniffs. This is one hell of an aroma. Tons of coffee is clearly added here, but it doesn't seem to overpower the subtleties of the malt and hops. How is that possible? Off to a good start so far...

Taste: Iced coffee and dark chocolate. Some very mild hop bitterness struggles to make its way through, but this one is all about the huge coffee flavors. The chocolate malt is still hanging in there...

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with low carbonation. Even the mouthfeel mimics a cup of coffee. No failing marks yet.

Drinkability: So, so drinkable. I can tell you from experience that this is a perfect session beer. It's like drinking a glass of iced coffee. And the low-ish ABV means that its tastiness won't catch up with you too quickly. It's hard to get tired of this.

I think that Joe is currently dominating the coffee porter sub-variety. The toasted chocolate malts and subtle hop bitterness make this brew a superb take on an American porter. Plus, it's brewed with Fair Trade coffee. Can't go wrong here.

4.19/5  rDev +11.1%

On tap at Philadelphia Brewing Company's 1st Anniversary Party on 3/7/09 during Philly Beer Week. Served at the brewery in a plastic cup.

A - Poured a dark coffee brown body with minimal carbonation and a thin ring of head that fully receded and left a bit of lace.

S - Freshly ground coffee beans with an apparent roasted malt character. Pure and simple, straight-up coffee nose.

T - Again, Joe tastes like iced or chilled coffee. It's all about roasted malt goodness. Slight toasted nutty astringency and a hint of chocolate appear in the backend.

M - Medium body with a slick, kind of oily texture with just enough carbonation to enhance the bitterness on the tastebuds.

D - Very good coffee beer overall. PBC pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one, capturing the essence of fresh ground coffee.

4.17/5  rDev +10.6%

Thanks to Josh for the extra, my first foray into Philadelphia Brewing Co.

Pours a nice dark brown from the bottle with a thin head that disperses quickly.

Rich coffee aroma, almost reminds me of an iced coffee. Very pleasing to the nose.

Nice dry, coffee flavor treats the palette, started off a bit cold, but the flavor grew as the beer reached room temp. A tiny inkling of bitterness in the beer, but nothing overwhelming.

Nice creamy feel on the tongue, nothing to complain about here.

Overall, a good, sessionable coffee stout. Nice and rich, with strong coffee aromatics. I'd definitely enjoy another given the chance.

4.17/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and thick consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Not much lacing.

S: A big aroma of coffee, malt, and a little chocolate. Very enticing.

T: Tasted mostly of coffee, with hints of chocolate, malt, and hops as well. I thought the coffee would dominate the flavor, but it turned out to be a well-balanced flavor.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a silky smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: A wholly enjoyable, easy to drink beer.

4.17/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Black with brown edges...1 inch thick head...quickly disappears...the edges are creamy white the whole way through...no real lacing...lots of carbonation...

S - Dark roasted malts, sweet creamy dark roast coffee, a bit of dark chocolate-cocoa, and just a hint of smoke...

T - All of the above with some sweet malt character...only a kiss of bitterness if any...most of the bitterness probably comes from the dark and roasted malts...possibly a hint of lactose and/or vanilla character...a bit of burnt coffee flavor (in the best possible way)...imagine a burnt chocolate chip cookie...overall a delicious flavor!

M - carbonation fades a bit from the pour...creamy...medium-heavy body...

O - A very tasty porter...I really like it! A great Philly seasonal for sure! If you see it try it! You will enjoy!

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Philadelphia Brewing Company does make many beers that I particularly like, but Joe Coffee Porter is definitely the exception. This is a beer that really enjoy drinking and although it isn't the best example of an American Porter, it is an easy drinking full-flavored beer with a nice jolt of coffee. The roast and caramel flavors from the malt are well developed in the beer and complement the coffee well. If you like coffee porter/stouts, this is a beer to try.

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap at Capone's in a small serving. excited to try this from PBC.

A- Joe was a dark black beer with a nice full frothy tan head that looked quite dense. It actually stayed a bit leaving some streaks of lace.

S- Joe smelled like coffee. This coffee had a nice fresh roasty musk to it. Some bready malts as well show up. Some hops in the horizon also. A bit of cocco in hindsite.

T- Joe tasted like coffee. Behind that i'm getting a nice malt base giving off some caramel. Not getting any chocolate but i'm getting more coffee. This one was nicely supplied with coffee beans as indicated in taste.

M- Joe was a bit above medium bodied and I can see why they classified this as a porter as the feel matches the style. Some carbonation was felt on the tounge.

D- At 5%, let me get another. I love coffee beers so this one was a no brainer for me. I'm very impressed at this offering from PBC and maybe down the line they can make some varieties off of this base beer, although it's great now.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured a lusterous black body with a thin off-white head. Aroma was of chocolate, a lot of coffee, lactose, caramel, sweet malt, and even some piney hops at the end. Flavor however was somewhat less complex. It tasted of coffee beans, some dark chocolate, slightly licorice, and piney hops at the end. However a nutty wood and coffee feel lingered on the tongue afterwards. It was kind of thin for such a dark beer and not very complex either. Rather like a cold carbonated coffee that was slightly hoppy.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

12 ounce bottle, 16 ounce shaker pint.

A - A nice dark porter with a tan head about a finger thick.

S - Coffee... Nice, strong coffee hits the nose.

T - Nice range of flavors here. Some chocolate malts, a nice sweetness with the coffee flavor hanging over it all. On the finish some more sweet malt kicks up before the coffee taste rounds out the finish and lingers into the aftertste.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbed.

D - A nice, easy drinking brew. Has the ABV of a brown porter with the coffee making the beer bring the robust flavors of a robust variety, along with an interesting layeer of flavor that makes me want more.

Joe Coffee Porter from Philadelphia Brewing Company