Joe Coffee Porter - Philadelphia Brewing Company

Philadelphia Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: gdfan47 on 01-17-2009)
kwa357

12-08-2011 03:22:23 | More by kwa357
CLAZZ51

04-11-2012 02:59:38 | More by CLAZZ51
furiousxgeorge

This is the best coffee beer I have yet tasted. The coffee taste is fresh and authentic, like a nice cup of black. Too often beers in this style have the taste of a pot of joe that has been on the heat too long, but this one is just right.

Can't beat the price for a beer of this caliber too, $24 for the case.

11-26-2009 01:37:51 | More by furiousxgeorge
stonelis

11-22-2011 02:00:40 | More by stonelis
dwaz

11-24-2011 16:41:01 | More by dwaz
DIM

4.58/5  rDev +23.5%

a: This was a dark brown color, almost black. It poured with a medium sized, fizzy head.

s: Gentle coffee aromas and a little bit of malty chocolate.

t: Nothing big or overpowering, but also nothing off. The coffee that takes center stage is spot-on. Roasty, mildly bitter and not at all sour or acidic. There is also some chocolate hiding in the backround as well as a little vanilla.

m: Gentle carbonation and a long lasting coffee aftertaste.

d: I tend to lump all coffee beers together, which isn't fair. This isn't meant to be a Breakfast Stout. In a beer world full mocha lattes and the like, this stands out as just a really good cup of Joe. This beer is exactly what it was intended to be, a sessionable coffee beer. I need to look for a case.

12-18-2009 10:52:17 | More by DIM
DarkerTheBetter

4.53/5  rDev +22.1%

This one poured a dark cola brown with a little purple sneaking in around the edges. The head is an irregular film and thick collar of light tan. A little stuck around the sides of my glass.

Smells of sweet, sweet, cold brewed coffee. I think this smell could make anything better. I'm loving it! Beneath is a dry toasty grain that just reminds me of a more astringent coffee. Mmmm, cold brewed coffee... I'm having trouble being objective here.

Tastes of thin coffee backed by a touch of toasty grains. In the midst of things a light, woody tree bark shows up, bringing with it a touch of leafy greens. Wow, where the porter ends and the coffee picks up is beyond me.

Feels a bit viscous, but the way it traps in the bubbles is worth it. This is really a lively beer to drink. Finishes with a not unpleasant film in my mouth.

One of the best uses of coffee I've ever had. On top of that, it's local and inexpensive. I'll be looking for a case the next time this is out.

12-11-2009 02:10:24 | More by DarkerTheBetter
ColdWaffles

4.53/5  rDev +22.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint. Side note: I've enjoyed this beer for a while now every time it comes around. It seems even better this year, I'm getting more coffee out of this.

Second side note: Best served slightly less than cold.

Appearance: Pitch black with a tanish head that sticks around for a little. Looks the part and keeps its head.

Smell: On point, smells like a pot of coffee.

Taste: This year I'm picking up more coffee than before. This almost tastes straight up like coffee in beer form. Besides that, obviously malts in the background, and ever such a slight amount of hops at the end. Coffee also comes out better if this isn't served ice cold, so if you're drinking it that way, you may "be doin' it wrong." It's great. I don't get why people don't like this. Maybe they're bias towards Yards beers or something. This is a great beer. Was before, seems even better this year.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, kind of goes down... like coffee. Carbonation isn't too bad.

I really do adore this beer. This is also from someone who dug that coffee Pepsi from way back when, so take that for what you will.

12-24-2012 03:17:02 | More by ColdWaffles

pearljam118

05-15-2012 23:22:33 | More by pearljam118
krisandajt

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%

A big thanks to JMurray999 for throwing together the big Philly split that included this bad boy.

Appearance: Pours a very deep dark brown color with a nice half inch of foamy, off-white colored head. Retention isn't bad, and there is some nice thick lacing clinging to the sides of the glass.

Smell: A nice, sweet roasted malt with some mild coffee elements throughout. Very nicely balanced with no one characteristic really standing out.

Taste: A very tasty blend of coffee, hints of chocolate, and roasted malt. I'm actually surprised at the flavor this one has, it's very robust for a porter. This brew is comparable more to a bigger stout. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Thick, creamy, and full-bodied. Beyond what I expected for a porter.

Drinkability: Top notch, definitely an unexpected treat. Great flavor with an outstanding presence in the glass and on the palate. It's a shame I don't have any more...I'll have to pick some up on my next beer run.

11-07-2009 14:58:34 | More by krisandajt
woodychandler

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%

I really should visit Bill and Nancy Barton more often! I used to be a fixture at the old Weisbrod & Hess bulding until I started hitting the road during my summers. Today, my beer scribe colleague, Rich Wagner, is giving a lecture and since I was looking for a reason to visit, this is me.

It was presented to me with a big two fingers' worth of light-tan head with decent retention. Nose left no doubt that this was coffee-infused. I have been drinking a lot of coffee beers lately and in my mind, that is not a bad thing. As a US Navy retiree, I slurped down my fair share of coffee over the years. The term "Joe" actually comes from a Navy Chaplain who would take coffee to watchstanders on cold nights. This Joe had a deep-brown color when held up to the natural light with some light penetration, but it was still pretty murky. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, approaching creaminess off of a standard CO2 tap. The taste was bitter coffee, the way I brew and drink it. Hot and back, like some of my women. If you want to drink a hot milkshake, don't look to me for cream and sugar. I was really enjoying the way it really reminded me of my morning cuppa, especially on the finish. I need to figure out some way of spiking my coffee at school ...

11-21-2009 17:32:35 | More by woodychandler
Risser09

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner - fridge - 2009

Appearance: Pours dark brown with faint orange/brown highlights. A tan head rises 2.5" tall and shows good retention. Some blobs of lace remain behind.

Smell: Dark malts are roasted and there is a coffee gound aroma. Graham cracker, faint licorice, with some sweetness.

Taste: Burnt, roasted malt flavors mix with freshly ground coffee. Some licorice and a slight bitterness. Nicely sweet without being cloying.

Mouthfeel: Roasty, toasted flavors and some sugar content. Bitterness could actually be from the coffee. Smooth, medium body with a clean finish.

Drinkability: This is an exceptional porter that doesn't rely on coffee to be a good beer. It drinks really well and would be easy to session. Try it!

10-30-2009 12:22:58 | More by Risser09
Philabeerphia

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. One of the absolute worst labels I've seen on a beer. PBC labels usually appeal to me... I don't know what they were thinking here and I'm tempted to dock points... but I won't. The beer is damn nearly a pitch perfect 'black'... viscous looking, heavy and totally opaque. A mocha colored head sits tight at 1/4 finger. Some low-viscous lacing dissipates back into the glass. We're in stout territory with this visage. Works for me.

Aroma is damn near sublime. Vanilla bean ice cream and [light roast] coffee float, smothered in hot fudge. Exactly that, no more. But it doesn't need anything else. My wife and I can't stop passing this back and forth taking deep whiffs followed by exclamations of pure satisfaction. By the smell of this I'd guess it sits above 7%. One of the most impressive Porters I've smelled.

I need to take a minute and nitpick the mouthfeel - it is light, quick and well carbonated. I enjoy the carbonation keeping things crisp, but otherwise this could use some work. More body would add some needed heft... presence. Still this beer is impressive on the mouth. Joe tells a good story - if he's not deeply complex. Plenty of roasted malt up front... opens into balanced mix of coffee, cocoa, vanilla and milk. At its peak it seems to alternate between slightly bitter coffee notes and loong, sweet vanilla milk. condensed milk almost. Sweet tobacco shows up towards the finish - now I'm getting a hint of the 'complex' profile I seek out in a top notch porter. Hops enter into the equation as the beer leaves the mouth - needed and welcomed at this point. Warm and earthy, coating just slightly in the throat. This is not an example of a coffee porter that is all COFFEE. That element plays an ensemble role and that is greatly appreciated. A few tweaks - namely a thicker mouthfeel, some darker and dryer notes - and this beer is one for the record books. As it stands now, it is an impressive example

01-02-2010 03:34:38 | More by Philabeerphia
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

Bottle into Sam Adams sensory glass. Another big thanks to Josh (jyoungsbcp) for this great extra.

Pours black, trailing off to deep ruby brown at the thinnest parts of the glass, with a thin light khaki head on top that disappears as quick as it comes, leaving just a thin ring of bubbles and little chance for lacing.

Nose is coffee - full effect, slightly vegetal, woody, but with a nice, pleasant underpinning of roasted malt and rich chocolate that isn't buried under the coffee, as seems to happen so often in this style.

Taste is more of the same - dark chocolate cake, baked with a nice but not overwhelming dose of coffee grounds, rich and a bit mellow and satisfying in an entirely visceral way that just doesn't demand too much though. Towards the finish, there's a drying effect as the lingering roasty malt and coffee link arms with the deep chocolate and go dancing down your palate. Very light bitterness, light acidity, but well balanced.

Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, with a long, rich finish that some Imperial Stouts would envy. Silky, laid back carbonation that fits the beer perfectly.

Drinkability is correspondingly excellent - smooth mouthfeel, mellow but rich flavors profile, very nice.

03-02-2010 02:39:47 | More by JohnQVegas
mgbickel

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Formed a single finger dark sandy head. Moderate lacing after a slow dissipation. Blackish brown body that traps almost all light.

Black coffee, malts and canned peas are the dominant aromas. Undertones of chocolate later.

The taste is coffee, coffee and more coffee. Some roasted malts and chocolate underneath. Finishes with a bitter black coffee kick.

Medium-thin mouth feel; decently creamy and carbonated...close to what you would want in a porter.

Truth in advertising here! If you are a coffee fan, this brew's for you! Very drinkable, but may keep you up at night!!

12-14-2009 01:48:47 | More by mgbickel
gdfan47

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

Wow I have never added a beer... dont I feel special... I dont drink coffee, never had... but someone told me to check this one out

A- pours a jet black with a little bit of brownish head
S- coffee, coffee, and coffee, and a touch of malt
T- like coffee, a little sweet but mostly coffee
M- really nice , good carbonation, can almost taste the coffee beans
D- very easy drinking, I dont drink cofee but I will reach for this one again

Note: brewed in honor of Philadelphia Beer writer Joe Sixpack
Each batch contains 50 pounds of Peruvian fair trade coffee beans, for now its draft only..

I am not sure if its a limited release or if they will be making it full time or just as a seasonal. Im also not sure of the exact style, "american porter" was my educated guess

01-17-2009 22:59:05 | More by gdfan47
BigMike

4.28/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours black with no light coming through and a one finger head thats thin and disappears quickly.

This has the greatest coffee smell of any beer i've ever had. it literally smells like i just ground up some fresh coffee beans and put them in this pint glass. Its a beautiful thing. A slight touch of chocolate but over all its all coffee.

Great coffee flavor. Theres not much else but coffee going on here and i'm ok with that.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Somewhat watery but smooth and light moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good if you're a coffee lover like myself. This one could use just a bit more substance. I thought it was a little thin. Smell is right on and flavor is pretty good but it could use a bit more body. I have it say it's a lot better then the java head stout i had last week.

12-16-2009 04:00:52 | More by BigMike