Joe Coffee Porter - Philadelphia Brewing Company

Philadelphia Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: gdfan47 on 01-17-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
drcarver

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

A - near black body that looks very thick. A light brown head sits on top and, true to style, fades quick leaving nice lacing and a little film on top.

S - Coffee... definitely a coffee. Definitely a dark roast coffee. The downside is that there is a burnt smokiness to it that turns me off.

T - Same as the smell. Dark roast coffee, a bit of sweet, but the smokiness reminds me of Rogue's Chipotle Ale. Not a bad flavor just not what I was in the mood for or expecting.

M - Full bodied with a clean finish.

D - it would probably be better after one or two, but I couldn't get there.

Normally I'm down with Philadelphia Brewing's beer but I'll pass this one up.

10-02-2009 22:38:12 | More by drcarver
ffejherb

4.18/5  rDev +12.7%

On tap at Philadelphia Brewing Company's 1st Anniversary Party on 3/7/09 during Philly Beer Week. Served at the brewery in a plastic cup.

A - Poured a dark coffee brown body with minimal carbonation and a thin ring of head that fully receded and left a bit of lace.

S - Freshly ground coffee beans with an apparent roasted malt character. Pure and simple, straight-up coffee nose.

T - Again, Joe tastes like iced or chilled coffee. It's all about roasted malt goodness. Slight toasted nutty astringency and a hint of chocolate appear in the backend.

M - Medium body with a slick, kind of oily texture with just enough carbonation to enhance the bitterness on the tastebuds.

D - Very good coffee beer overall. PBC pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one, capturing the essence of fresh ground coffee.

03-09-2009 23:11:37 | More by ffejherb
BARFLYB

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

On tap at Capone's in a small serving. excited to try this from PBC.

A- Joe was a dark black beer with a nice full frothy tan head that looked quite dense. It actually stayed a bit leaving some streaks of lace.

S- Joe smelled like coffee. This coffee had a nice fresh roasty musk to it. Some bready malts as well show up. Some hops in the horizon also. A bit of cocco in hindsite.

T- Joe tasted like coffee. Behind that i'm getting a nice malt base giving off some caramel. Not getting any chocolate but i'm getting more coffee. This one was nicely supplied with coffee beans as indicated in taste.

M- Joe was a bit above medium bodied and I can see why they classified this as a porter as the feel matches the style. Some carbonation was felt on the tounge.

D- At 5%, let me get another. I love coffee beers so this one was a no brainer for me. I'm very impressed at this offering from PBC and maybe down the line they can make some varieties off of this base beer, although it's great now.

03-09-2009 02:42:51 | More by BARFLYB
hopdog

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

On tap at Capone's.

Poured a deeper brown color with red edges and an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of chocolate, roast, coffee, and some earthiness. Tastes of chocolate, coffee with cream, chocolate, and some caramel. Lacing left on the glass.

03-04-2009 19:59:43 | More by hopdog
TurdFurgison

3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

I had this on tap at Monk's in Philadelphia. The beer was presented in a pint glass, dark brown-black with a 2-finger tan foam. The smell of coffee and malt, strong coffee bean flavor but slightly weak body befitting a porter I guess. OK in a pinch but not the most outstanding coffee beer.

03-04-2009 13:50:34 | More by TurdFurgison
Seanibus

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

I haven't been overly impressed with the PBC lineup so far, but this one is pretty good.

Pours black with a fluffy off color head. Aroma is malty and coffelike, reminiscent of sweet espresso. The flavor is strong and assertively bitter and coffeeish. The mouthfeel is the highlight, creamy and milky. The whole thing is a little sweet for my tastes, but it is flavorful and enjoyable.

03-02-2009 20:42:23 | More by Seanibus
HopDerek

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

Enjoyed on tap at Capones

Poured a very dark brown almost black color with thin tan head, OK retention and some nice lacing. Smells of coffee, roasted malts, cocoa powder, and a hint of caramel. Tastes of roasted malt, a touch of caramel and chocolate, and a solid coffee finish. Medium in body with good carbonation, smooth and creamy. A very coffee oriented beer, but it could use a little more variety to mix the components better; seemed like 1/8th cup of porter 7/8 cup of coffee. Still good stuff and easy to drink, especially for the coffee lover.

02-10-2009 00:06:54 | More by HopDerek
WilliamPhilaPa

3.98/5  rDev +7.3%

Had a few sample glasses on tap at the brewery prior to doing a tour.
Pours black and clear; decent lace; whiffs of coffee and chocolate. More coffee in the taste (it is "Brewed with 50 pounds of locally roasted fair trade Peruvian coffee") and slight hint of chocolate...maybe; chewy and smooth mouth-feel.
Not very complex (mainly the flavor of coffee) but I like coffee and I like beer...sort of a match made in heaven.
Simple and done right!
I wish I could get a case to bring home.
Recommendation for PBC...
Please bottle your "Select" brews & add 4 bottles to the variety case...that would be kick-ass!
I'll send A email.
Also wondering if you will have a Fest beer in Sept. and Oct. :)
When is the last time a Philly Brewer brewed a Fest beer...Franklin Fest?

I enjoyed the glass of "Joe"

02-07-2009 18:31:22 | More by WilliamPhilaPa
NJpadreFan

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

Philadelphia Brewing- Joe

A- Deep dark brownish black with a small tan lacing head.
S- Light dry cocoa powder and mild roasted coffee beans.
T- Light creamy milk chocolate cocoa powder mixed into creamy light blend coffee.
M- Very smooth and very creamy. Flavors are never intense.

Overall- a good, solid porter. Easy session beer here.

01-19-2009 22:01:04 | More by NJpadreFan
marcpal

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at the brewery, went through a good 16oz worth and took mental notes and wanted to spend time to review here because I did catch it as unique.

A: Black with brown rimmed thin film. The lacing was patchy and super sticky.

S: This smells like a cup of coffee, more so than any beer that I can remember. There is some chocolate undertone too that give you the hint of porter even though it looked more like a stout.

T: Yup, more sweet coffee. The smoked flavors of a porter would have balanced it out some but again, this is a strong brewed cup o joe.

M: Silky and puffy like a marshmallow I had been chewing on or placed in a cup of coffee to let soften.

D: I love coffee but in my beer, this is just a bit too much. Surely a unique take on a porter though, glad I got the opportunity.

Not really my style, a little much on the coffee but distinctive mind you. I would have liked to have gotten a chance at the wheatwine one off.

01-18-2009 16:00:43 | More by marcpal
gdfan47

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

Wow I have never added a beer... dont I feel special... I dont drink coffee, never had... but someone told me to check this one out

A- pours a jet black with a little bit of brownish head
S- coffee, coffee, and coffee, and a touch of malt
T- like coffee, a little sweet but mostly coffee
M- really nice , good carbonation, can almost taste the coffee beans
D- very easy drinking, I dont drink cofee but I will reach for this one again

Note: brewed in honor of Philadelphia Beer writer Joe Sixpack
Each batch contains 50 pounds of Peruvian fair trade coffee beans, for now its draft only..

I am not sure if its a limited release or if they will be making it full time or just as a seasonal. Im also not sure of the exact style, "american porter" was my educated guess

01-17-2009 22:59:05 | More by gdfan47