Joe Coffee Porter - Philadelphia Brewing Company

American Porter |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: gdfan47 on 01-17-2009

3.84/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bottle on 12/24/09.

A - pours a pitch black with just a ring of bubbles around the glass

S - roasted coffee, its like cold coffee in the morning

T - same as aroma, its like drinking a cold cup of joe

M - smooth mouthfeel, good carbonation

D - although I wouldn't drink alot of it, I would like it often when i'm in the mood for a coffee beer

3.72/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a nonic.

Pours a near black (coffee) color. Has a tan head that is thick and creamy, then fades quick. Head settles to a lace island. Has some lace.

Brew smells of coffee beans, roasted malts, chocolate. Big roasted coffee nose.

Brew is thinner then expected in the mouthfeel, but is very flavorful. Huge coffee flavors, roasted malts. Some chocolate notes. Near smoke flavor. Has a very crisp thin feel initially; finishes dry and slightly bitter. Not as creamy or as thick as I had hoped, but still a smooth drink. Slight peppery carbonation on the tongue as well.

This is a very drinkable bodied brew. Has a good taste and a thin enough mouthfeel that you could easily session it. For me I am not a huge coffee drinker, so I am not sure if I could session several of these all night. Good, but maybe as a change up dark brew to offer rather then a traditional porter or stout. With so many great and excellent dark brews this wouldnt be a must buy again for me... but as I said I am not a coffee drinker.

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to krisandajt for this 12 oz bottle.

A: The porter is a dark cola color, more brown than black when viewed up close. From afar, black rules the day. A two finger off-white head (just barely off-white) is lacing nicely.

S: The nose is full of coffee, bitter and sweet. Under the java, a dose of chocolate adds to the sweetness.

T: Interesting first sip that seems to not want to take a stance. A bit of coffee, a dash of porter but not much cohesion. Roasted malts are plentiful, dosed with chocolate. Coffee hangs around in the background, emerging gradually as the ale warms. Part and parcel with the coffee is an acrid bitterness that grows on me. The porter stands out near the end of each sip.

M: The mouthfeel picks up as time passes but it generally doesn't get me too excited.

D: Not my favorite coffee porter by any stretch (especially when I had a Devil Over A Barrel earlier today).

4.06/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to AdamGarcia for hookin it up.
Poured into my Guinness mug.

A: Pours pitch black with brown tints around the edges. Nice 2 fingers of khaki foam fades medium-quick leaving a plenty of lacing all over the sides, and a medium-thin layer of head sitting on top.

S: Smells like coffee and roasted barley. A little bit of mild fruit aroma is present.

T: Very heavy bitter coffee up front. Chocolate present too. More fruit present than in the nose.

M: Incredibly smooth. Could stand to be slightly more carbonated. Bitterness is spot on. Almost perfect.

D: Very tasty and refreshing. Hard to give anything with coffee in it a perfect score though. Nice.

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

A - Pitch black with a decent coco head. Looks impressive.
S - Not as bitter coffee smell as expected hope the flavor delivers.
T - Not too bad! Granted it's not the best (or worst) but it defiantly tastes like cheap coffee and the flavor lasts and lasts...
M - This is where it falls apart as the porter part kicks in an leaves me with a bitter unsatisfying finish. Sad I wanted to love this.
D - Well it was a good trial for a coffee beer but I will stick with my Cappuccino Stout.

2.47/5  rDev -34.5%

A - slight red brown around the edges. Large dropping head.

S - semi strong, unpleasant sent. Bityer.

T - sort of tastes like cheap coffers. Oddly not bitter considering the smell.

M - coats nicely, mild tingle on the rear sides of the tongue.

D - I would have to pass as you get a shot of that scent each time that you take a drink.

4.06/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one has quickly become one of my favorite session beers. A well balanced porter with a modest ABV and some really great roast character. It pours a very deep brown with some slightly lighter highlights. The chocolatey mocha head maintains its shape pretty well. A respectable lace sticks around also.

Great nose; roasty up front with tones of milk chocolate and fresh black coffee. Some sticky, sweet molasses pokes through along with a hint of licorice.

Lots of big roasty flavor but balanced with semi-sweet chocolate and molasses. The primary impression is definitely coffee but not overwhelmingly so. A distinct creamy character and faintly detectable hops.

Smooth and medium bodied with a slick feel on the tongue and some very fine textured carbonation. In terms of drinkability, I would definitely consider it high even for the style. A lower ABV, flavorful, and a mouthfeel that doesn't become monotonous add up to a great session ale in my opinion. To be fair this IS coming from a guy who drinks, probably what most people would consider, an absurd amount of coffee. In any case.... I like it a lot.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle, dark as a cup of coffee. With about 1 inch of foamy head. Smells like a dark cup of mocha. Creamy coffee like taste. Chocolate malts and smooth creamy flavor. Very flavorful porter. No real hop profile. Going nicely with a doughnut.

3.82/5  rDev +1.3%

A-Pours a midnight black with a cappuccino-colored head.

S-Smells of coffee, rich chocolate, and vanilla. One of the better smelling coffee beers I've had yet; it has me drooling in anticipation of the taste.

T-It tastes exactly like a cup of black coffee with some sugar in it. Roasty, but not overpowering, and chocolate notes dominate here with a big coffee aftertaste.

M-This is where a lot of other coffee beers I've had have suffered, and this is no exception. I've noticed that brewing with coffee tends to really thin out a beer's mouthfeel. It kind of kills the mouthfeel for me. I want this to be slick and a little thick, and that's happening a little with this beer, but not quite enough. I take it all back... It's been warming up significantly and the mouthfeel has really improved being at a warmer temperature. I will adjust my score on mouthfeel accordingly.

D-The taste wasn't exactly my thing, but I respect what they went for with this one. However, it is decent to drink and I will be sure to recommend this to any coffee lover.

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks for this extra, gibby. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown with a slight reddish tint around the edges. About a finger worth of head with some decent lacing. The head seemed to dissipate pretty quickly.

Smell: Roasted coffee, chocolate, and some molasses. It's got a strong coffee smell but has a hint of sweetness to it.

Taste: Heavy coffee flavor. It tastes a bit more bitter than the smell would suggest but it balances well. I am a big coffee drinker so I like the coffee flavor but it does round out with some chocolate malt.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Low carbonation that seems fitting and a smooth feel to it. It's medium bodied and quite drinkable. The lower abv makes it a pretty good beer to drink all night...that is, if you are a coffee lover.

3.17/5  rDev -15.9%

poured into pint glass
A - dark brown-black color, 1/4" inch tan head, but it quickly disapates to no head as drank
S - nothing but roasted coffee
T - coffee up front, coffee middle, coffee finish
M - medium body, medium to high carbnonation
D - the label says "well balanced", but I would not agree. I normally like coffee flavor in porters and stouts, but the flavor is too much in this brew. couldn't have more than one in a sitting

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

A beautiful pour and I did it at room temperature. Black as night, nice head retention and a large frothy one, at that. Smooth and easy to drink. Coffee beans are the flavor, but it doesn't dominate and is complimented with some Munich malts and a nice blend of hops balance this beer out. Glad I have 5 more of these.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Many thanks to Beerisheaven for the bottle.
Joe Coffee Porter pours a dark mahogany brown color. It's close to opaque, but a few scarlet highlights are noted at the outermost edges. It's capped with a mocha tan head that stands about a finger and a half tall. It recedes to a surface covering fairly quickly, but holds firm there for a bit. I'm sure this Sam Adams glass is sustaining it at this point. Lacing was very light.

Roasted coffee is front and center on the nose. It's fairly strong throughout. Given my love for all things java, that's a-ok by me. There are some roasted and chocolate notes from the malts. The chocolate factor is bittersweet, rather than sweet. That's about all I'm getting here. It's rather straight forward, but smells pretty good.

The flavor doesn't differ from what the nose suggested. It is rather coffee heavy. Personally, I think that's a good thing. The coffee flavor is really tasty and acts a nice springboard for the roasted and chocolate malt flavors. They work well in tandem. Coffee is the strongest, but it's a perfect mix for the Porter elements. The strong coffee presence will likely turn off the coffee averse crowd. It really drives what this beer is all about. But, I like it. The flavor, like the nose, is simple and uncomplicated. But it has a nice flavor overall. I like it a little more with each sip.

Joe Coffee Porter has a light body. It feels a little anemic. Carbonation is light, but there's not enough body to have a great feel. Above average is as good as it gets. Drinkability is good. I'm digging the coffee flavor and it's going down easy. I can't say I'd stay enamored with it all night, but I'd be good for a couple of bottles.

This is my first go with Philadelphia Brewing Company beer. I'm pretty impressed. Joe Coffee Porter is good beer. There's nothing extreme about it, but it has a good flavor that works well all-around. I do think it'd benefit from a bit more body. But, otherwise, it's good stuff. I suspect any coffee fan would appreciate it. Thanks, Brian.

4.17/5  rDev +10.6%

Thanks to Josh for the extra, my first foray into Philadelphia Brewing Co.

Pours a nice dark brown from the bottle with a thin head that disperses quickly.

Rich coffee aroma, almost reminds me of an iced coffee. Very pleasing to the nose.

Nice dry, coffee flavor treats the palette, started off a bit cold, but the flavor grew as the beer reached room temp. A tiny inkling of bitterness in the beer, but nothing overwhelming.

Nice creamy feel on the tongue, nothing to complain about here.

Overall, a good, sessionable coffee stout. Nice and rich, with strong coffee aromatics. I'd definitely enjoy another given the chance.

4.19/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance: Pours a dark, dark brown (almost black) with an off-white head that quickly vanishes into a sparse film. No noticeable lacing but the head remains in a ring around the glass.

Smell: Dark-roasted coffee beans, wet coffee grounds, and iced coffee. Some bitter cocoa becomes more present with later sniffs. This is one hell of an aroma. Tons of coffee is clearly added here, but it doesn't seem to overpower the subtleties of the malt and hops. How is that possible? Off to a good start so far...

Taste: Iced coffee and dark chocolate. Some very mild hop bitterness struggles to make its way through, but this one is all about the huge coffee flavors. The chocolate malt is still hanging in there...

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with low carbonation. Even the mouthfeel mimics a cup of coffee. No failing marks yet.

Drinkability: So, so drinkable. I can tell you from experience that this is a perfect session beer. It's like drinking a glass of iced coffee. And the low-ish ABV means that its tastiness won't catch up with you too quickly. It's hard to get tired of this.

I think that Joe is currently dominating the coffee porter sub-variety. The toasted chocolate malts and subtle hop bitterness make this brew a superb take on an American porter. Plus, it's brewed with Fair Trade coffee. Can't go wrong here.

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle into Sam Adams sensory glass. Another big thanks to Josh (jyoungsbcp) for this great extra.

Pours black, trailing off to deep ruby brown at the thinnest parts of the glass, with a thin light khaki head on top that disappears as quick as it comes, leaving just a thin ring of bubbles and little chance for lacing.

Nose is coffee - full effect, slightly vegetal, woody, but with a nice, pleasant underpinning of roasted malt and rich chocolate that isn't buried under the coffee, as seems to happen so often in this style.

Taste is more of the same - dark chocolate cake, baked with a nice but not overwhelming dose of coffee grounds, rich and a bit mellow and satisfying in an entirely visceral way that just doesn't demand too much though. Towards the finish, there's a drying effect as the lingering roasty malt and coffee link arms with the deep chocolate and go dancing down your palate. Very light bitterness, light acidity, but well balanced.

Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, with a long, rich finish that some Imperial Stouts would envy. Silky, laid back carbonation that fits the beer perfectly.

Drinkability is correspondingly excellent - smooth mouthfeel, mellow but rich flavors profile, very nice.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz. bottle: This one pours a fairly dark brown color. There was a small tan head on it that doesn't linger or leave any lacing. Coffee aroma upfront, with lighter chocolate and roasty notes. Coffee upfront to the taste, but not overpowering. Roasted malts and some chocolate also. Medium to lighter body. A touch of dryness. This is a pretty decent brew!

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to krisandajt for this one.

Dark brown color with a thin layer of soft suds that are tan in color.

Big malt nose with earthy coffee beans. Almost a smoke presence too.

This could almost fall into the category of smoked porter. Toasty malts with charcoal like oak wood. Some coffee, but I get more of the burnt charcoal. Must be a deep roasted coffee used for this one. Mild oak and toast aftertaste.

Very smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Maybe a tad undercarbonated, but I'm okay with it.

This goes down really easy. Would make a nice sessionable porter. Very nicely done porter.

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

Bottle from a recent trade with jyoungsbcp, thanks for the extra. Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer has a black center, with mahogany/deep brown edges. There is a thin off-white head that quickly fades to a tight ring, leaving some foamy lacing.

The smell is dark chocolate, some caramel and a nice roasted coffee. As the beer warms the coffee scent comes out a bit more.

The flavor matches the smell, with the coffee taking center stage a bit more. The coffee flavors are a bit over-roasted, almost acrid. The dark chocolate helps to smooth it out, but it needs more sweetness.

The beer is well carbonated, the alcohol is not present as it should be, and the beer has a nice medium body. The flavors are decent for a coffee porter, something I would buy occasionally if it were around, but nothing I will go out of my way for in the future.

Poured from bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark black with absolutely no head.

Smell: Cold coffee, roasted malt, chocolate

Taste: Bold roast coffee grinds, dark chocolate

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and robust porter.

Drinkability: One of my favorite beers from this local brewery. Very sessionable and tasty.

3.77/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my SA pint glass. It has a thick, black pour with an average white head. The aroma is like walking into a starbucks, pure coffee. The flavor is a bit harsh, dark bitter coffee is the overriding theme. It finishes with a strong, lingering coffee flavor. IMO the beer is light in body. The bitterness hurts the drinkability. I love coffee, but this has too much bitter coffee for me.

2.88/5  rDev -23.6%

A: This porter beer has a dark color

S: You can smell caramel and coffee from this porter

T and M: You can taste the coffee in this, which overpowers the caramel. This beer is creamy.

D: The only reason why I probally won't drink this again is I am not a coffee drinker. I couldn't even finish drinking it because of the strong coffee taste.

3.42/5  rDev -9.3%

I received this beer as a sample at work from a rep from PBC, he also gave me samples of four of PBC's other standards, but pointed out that the porter in particular is much better on tap. I will have to take his word for now because i have not seen this brew on tap locally.
The porter poured dark, the color of black coffee, into a pint glass at room temperature, with very little head. The aroma was pleasant, but lacked any scent of coffee.
The flavor is balanced, very little coffee. It's almost like a porter with training wheels, i mean that in the nicest way possible, it's a great first porter, because the flavor is so subtle that i could see almost anyone liking this brew, but not necessarily loving it.
The mouthfeel was a little watery, but not overly so. It also wasn't heavy, which was pleasant. This is a dark beer that could easily be a session beer.
Overall I liked the Joe Coffee Porter, but i did not love it, and for only two years separated from yard's i expect good things to come from PBC

3.89/5  rDev +3.2%

Tried this a couple days ago, hours after it arrived from jyoungsbcp. It's a 12 oz bottle with a straightforward label: "Joe COFFEE PORTER", described as "not your average beer" on the side fine print. Poured to a pint glass.

A: 'Pitch black' pour with glimmers of a deep caramel brown; held to light shows a murkier muddiness, a light fudge brown with plenty of racing streams of carbonation. Starts with a finger or so of creamy almond fizz; head dwindles in a couple minutes to a scarce gauzy covering. Good lace, sticky and broad-reaching.

S: LOVE the roasted coffee aroma! Dark and enticing 'java' scent, yet with ample sweetness - vanilla and cream - and a burlier smoky husk. Charcoal and blackened wood. Mmmmm...

T: An upfront 'coffee' jolt, a burst of mineral acridness and dry/burnt beans. A little forward with a brutal bitterness, a bit more substantive than I care for. Layered beneath the roast is a somewhat sweeter cacao, hints of fudge or even oatmeal. Fits the bill well enough with its 'coffee' traits but this porter strays from balance.

M: Initially thin, but holds steadfastly on the back of the tongue. Long-lasting char and bitterness, a fine ashy grit. Medium body and a smoother carbonation, creamy I suppose.

D: Somewhat one-track; I'd have preferred less bitterness and more nuances. I love a black coffee on most days, but this coffee/beer was a bit tougher to swallow. Still, I'd drink it again; it wasn't tough to finish.

Thanks, Josh, for a first taste from Philadelphia Brewing!

4.04/5  rDev +7.2%

thanks jyoungsbcp!

pours jet black with a light cream head that disappears quickly leaving light retention and little lacing.

big coffee on the roast. dark roasted espresso combining with sweet roasted malts and a hint of charcoal

coffee is lighter in the taste however balanced well against the dark malts. both compliment each other quite well. a bit of bitterness that has both a hoppy and chocolate flavor. light sweetness throughout

fairly full body with micro carbonation. i would like to see a bit more here. not thin by any means

great coffee flavors, low ABV, plenty of flavors make this a GREAT and easy drinker. im glad i have another.

Joe Coffee Porter from Philadelphia Brewing Company