Kenz O'Lantern - Philadelphia Brewing Company

Philadelphia Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: ColdWaffles on 08-30-2013)
Reviews by mscottjohnston:
2.88/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark amber color. One finger head quickly disappears with barely any lacing
S: overpoweringly nutmeg and spices, to the point of unpleasantness
T: again, spices kill any chance of other flavors. Nutmeg and cinnamon with a faint lager finish. No pumpkin here!
M: weak body with medium carbonation. Left me feeling empty after a sip.
O: More of a spiced lager than a pumpkin. Spicy flavors overpower anything more complex in this beer. Can't say I'd buy it again.

mscottjohnston, Sep 15, 2013

aszatk01, Sep 22, 2013
1.46/5  rDev -52.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

i think some others have been forthright and on point...i won't waste my time dissecting this headless corpse. i don't mind so much wasting $11+ for this 6-pack. just thankful i didn't shell out the dough for a case of this junk. mind you, i love most of this local brewery's offerings. but this low ABV bottle of autumnal potpourri cologne simply smells like what a drunk pumpkinheaded creature would vomit up...the flavor is dry (screaming for some sense of balancing SUGAR or at least HONEY to be present)...it looks murky which is acceptable, but nearly no carbonation. much needed with this tepid brew. and the mouthfeel? flat, watery. worst of the seasonal pumpkin ales...and one of the worst brews i've ever had. bad. and i've only gone from mad. sad.

mempath, Nov 06, 2013

st9647v3, Oct 31, 2013

claspada, Oct 05, 2013

jmann40, Oct 14, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Wow they brewed this at session strength with extreme spicing? I am in!

A - Well dark on the label is correct but murky as well. A hazy amber brown is what I see with just a 1/4 inch of head that fizzes out rather quickly to a mild ring.
S - Wow I haven't smelled such strong ginger since Left Hands "Good Juju" but there is plenty of cinnamon and a rather dry dose of nutmeg. Mildly musky but overall just a spice bomb.
T - Wow its like biting into a scented candle! Mild musty pumpkin flesh meets an abundance of ginger ale like taste and finishes extreme cinnamon. I kind of hate it!
M - Again I haven't had such a watery pumpkin beer since well "Pumpkinhead" from Shipyard. With little carbonation it taste like flat homebrew.

Overall I guess I kind of expected mediocre and I have to say expectation met. I want to say they are better than this but only liking their big beers I have to say they haven't won me over with anything under 7%

A very forgetable "pumpkin" ale. More like a winter spice ginger ale really,

edit: Kick ass beer cover art maybe if they spent more time brewing the beer would match the label.

DrDemento456, Oct 05, 2013

2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

MonicaC, Mar 28, 2014

IPAchris, Nov 07, 2013
2.19/5  rDev -28.7%

I decided that this would be the year to review as many pumpkin-related beers as possible and so I have come to this guy. I am trepidatious, given others' reviews, but I also try to be as fair as possible. We shall see what shakes out.

From the bottle: "Dark and yummy". I am put in mind of some ex-girlfriends and the scene in "Young Frankenstein" when Dr. Frankenstein asks, "Hey, who's making the 'yummy' noises?"

An aggro pour has produced a fluffy finger of tawny head that is falling like a souffle after the oven door is banged shut. Good lacing is appearing in its wake. I can really smell the spices, and as one reviewer postulated, it does smell like potpourri! Color is an orangish-coppery amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with a slight chill haze. Mouthfeel is watery and the taste is not quite right. By that, I mean that it tastes almost primarily of cinnamon sticks and nothing else. I am put in mind of a Home Ec thing we did involving soaking cinnamon sticks in hot water, but the purpose now eludes me. This had a slightly woody finish, so perhaps whole sticks were used in the boil, which I have seen done before, but with other ingredients added. This just seems to be a one-note, one-trick pony whose recipe needs to be either a) tweaked or b) S/C'd and rebooted. Survey says: No bueno!

woodychandler, Nov 16, 2013