Schwarzinger - Philadelphia Brewing Company

good

Philadelphia Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Schwarzbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mvanaskie13 on 08-30-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

kwa357, Dec 25, 2013

klimoja, Nov 17, 2013
3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of roasted malts, a bit smokey. Taste is the same, lots of roasted malts and smokiness, a bit of hops are present as well. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

tone77, Nov 03, 2013

pjkelley82, Mar 15, 2014
3.72/5  rDev -0.5%

Lambdon, Oct 03, 2014

Dark_Matter, Oct 12, 2014

Astarzz316, May 06, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Sweet a new beer from Philadelphia Brewing Company! Found it in the mix six section at the House of 1,000 beers.
A - Deep dark beautiful blackness with just a 1/4 inch of head that fades to a sticky ring.
S - Light smoked malts, some cocoa, and roastiness.
T - One smooth Swartz. It has mild smoked malts, smooth chocolate like malts, and a bit of sunk in the finish that leaves a bit of dryness. On par with the style love it.
M - Medium bodied not watery, slick and smooth.

Overall I would consider getting this again hell I would buy a case. It's tasty!

DrDemento456, May 07, 2014

calcnerd, Sep 10, 2013

rfgetz, Feb 16, 2014

Drknight, May 13, 2014
4.6/5  rDev +23%

It seems as though this may be another tone77 special! He is my frequent, local, in-person trader and I am always fascinated by what he brings by for me to review. I am pretty much to the point that I will only review beers when I am at home, but I have plenty to keep me busy.

From the bottle: "A German style black lager brewed with premium pilsner and dark roasted malts."

I started out with a heavy-handed pour until the head began to rise at an incredible rate and I backed off. I was faced with two-plus fingers of dense, deep-brown head with fantastic retention. It looked like a chocolate milk shake sitting before me and I put on some music to keep me company as I awaited for it to abate. What was I listening to? "Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart", written by James F. Hanley and sung by Judy Garland. Color was a deep, dense dark-brown with ruby highlights (SRM = 44), allowing just a little light penetration at the edges. Nose had a smoky chocolatiness and I was reminded of my late Pops' affection for Hershey's Special Dark. This beer's smell was very evocative of that. Mouthfeel was full, creamy, and the chocolate taste was spot on. I was really digging the way that the smokiness of the "dark roasted malts" was coming through, but melding nicely with the chocolatiness. Finish was semi-dry, more smoky than chocolaty, but quite the beer.

woodychandler, Dec 03, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Buzogine, Aug 05, 2014

Phillyz, Oct 02, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into a tall pint glass, color is dark brown with brown on the bottom edges of the glass; head is thin and dissipates to a ring.

Smell is roasted malt, chocolate, clean hop maybe some grass, maybe a little sweet in its presence.

Taste is on the sweeter side, but clean lager taste - no fruitiness noted - roasted malts are upfront melding into a chocolate sweetness that lingers; hops are present and quite bitter, no apparent strong flavor.

Mouthfeel is pleasant, but definitely on the sweet side, lingering on the tongue and with a strong bitterness.

Overall, a sweet schwarzbier, but clean flavors and a touch bitter. Its an interesting take on the style, maybe tone down on the amount of roasted malts?

mvanaskie13, Aug 30, 2013