Shipbuilder's Oatmeal Stout - Titanic Brewing Company

good

Titanic Brewing Company visit their website
Florida, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: stegmakk on 07-26-2005)
Reviews by jucifer1818:
3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

This was the beer I most wanted to try and in some ways it did not live up to my expectations, but it was not bad by any means. It was dark, smooth, had a VERY good oatmeal head, and surprisingly high bitter/hoppy characters which turned out to be the strongest flavor in the brew. I had a problem was that this considering that I wanted the oat's to be the focus of the brew. Besides that, a solid example of the style. I give it a 4/5, and would most likely try a pint again.

jucifer1818, Dec 13, 2012

LXIXME, Dec 13, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

Enjoyed on nitro at the brewpub. Roasty and it gives a coffee aroma, and above-average mouthfeel as expected. Black with dark brown head, looks good. I didn't appreciate the taste, with burnt toast parts, and unsmooth mouthfeel so much so those elements did not work for me.

Sammy, Feb 20, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

On-tap at the brewpub. The appearance is a standard pitch black with a tan head. Standard is really a good word to describe this beer. It hits all the marks you'd expect of a good oatmeal stout without really diverging or standing out. There's a big, dry black roasted malt and espresso. The oats provide a creamy feel to contrast the almost rough dark grains. And there's enough finishing bitterness to keep the beer well balanced. It's not standard in a mediocre way. Rather, it reminds me of all the other solid oatmeal stouts I've had.

tempest, Mar 21, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

cyrushire, Aug 25, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +21%

jjd315, Oct 11, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance was a dark black like oil spill. The head was perfectly full of tiny silky like bubbles.
Aroma was weak. Had the roasty malt smell to it, but that is all i got. Nothing bad, but nothing to blow me away.
Taste was great. Had a hint of a smokey taste mixed with the typical oatmeal stout flavor. This added hint of smoke made it sooo much better. Darn good tasting beer.
Only real weak point was the mouthfeel. It was not as full bodied as I had wanted. It was a little thin.
Drinkability was great. Once I found this one, that is all I kept getting...and getting...and getting...

stegmakk, Jul 26, 2005

corzocl, Nov 17, 2011

waiting4lunch, May 20, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

this is a traditional oatmeal stout with pretty robust smokey accents and what i find to be over-burnt malts. The appearence is a crisp black that seperates brown in the light and there's a frothy, yet minimal head. The aroma is pretty generic for this type of brew but there are maybe hints of barley. The mouthfeel is a bit rough but overall enjoyable and the taste really banks on the smokey initial take and an aftertaste predominated on malts and that cakey oatmeal feeling. It's not bad, but i didn't have a second.

dogfishhead1117, Aug 14, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +21%

Eliskipp, Mar 18, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

fishguyac, Sep 20, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

22Blue, May 01, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

Arrives nearly black with a solid, creamy 1" of almost dark tan foam sitting atop the liquid love. Retention is extremely good. Decent, scattered lacing.
Smell is mostly roasted malt and cardboard. Good balance but would like more complexity here.
Taste is roasted malt, smoke, cardboard and the faintest whiff of hops. Nicely done.
Medium bodied at best, more of an Irish style (read Guinness). Not quite watery but I would really like some more body. ABV is low so several will not cause undue inebriation.

PorterLambic, Oct 04, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

I don't think I've ever critiqued a beer for being served too warm. Usually if there's a temperature discretion it's in the opposite direction – too cold. But Titanic served this much warmer than I would have anticipated, even for a stout. I thought this was especially odd in Miami where the hot climate and lack of beer culture might have conspired to serve me up a "cold one."

But no matter. Despite its tepid demeanor, this was a very fine stout with plenty of chocolate in the nose and no shortage of rich, roasted flavor. The lace was formative (I noticed this with nearly all Titanic beers) but there wasn't as much head as an oatmeal stout might imply. (There was much more on the IPA).

I guess I'm just a snob but I somehow wasn't expecting such a charismatic stout from a brewpub in Miami. This town served me up some great mojitos and conch fritters, but an oatmeal stout...? Glad to be so pleasantly surprised with this smooth drinking black ale.

RedDiamond, Sep 23, 2006