Turbine Steamship - Titanic Brewing Company

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

1.03/5  rDev -72.5%

I'm about to rip this beer, so brace yourselves. Had this on tap this evening, following my usual IPA starter. Sticking with

Appearance: Beer is a beautiful hue of deep amber, but unfortunately has the head of a glass of iced tea. In fact, the whole deal is rather iced tea-looking.

Nose: Sticking with the status quo at Titanic, there's not much nose to this one. At this point, though, I'm not panicking, as the IPA is solid but also has a weak nose.

Taste: This beer is described on the seasonal list as "moderately malty and highly hoppy." Both these flavors are currently MIA; please let me know if you find them. I was getting much the flavor of, well, water. Such a colossal letdown.

Mouthfeel: Much like the taste, there's a whole lot of watered-downness coming through. Very unpleasant, particularly given the weak taste.

Overall: Being the only micro nearby, I rely on Titanic for solid, fresh beers. 9 times out of 10, they come through with flying colors. This, though, is one you will want to avoid like the plague. Quite honestly, this may be the worst beer I've ever tasted, and that resume includes the likes of the dreaded Natty.

Don't get me wrong, Titanic has plenty of solid brews. This one just isn't one worth buying, though. If you're dying to have one of their seasonals, I'd say go with either the Tripel Reserve or the Whitecap Wheat Ale, both of which are standout beers more than worthy of high praise.

Wow, I was surprised to walk into the Titanic and find that they had brewed a Steam Beer for summer. Very obviously intended to be a replica of Anchor Steam - billed as an aggressively hopped California-style steam beer.

A - Looks a lot like Anchor Steam, butterscotch-brown body. Formative head.

S - Smelled clean and well-hopped.

T - I'll be damned, it really does taste a bit like Anchor Steam. Nice hop kick to it, though, perhaps a bit more than Anchor's original. Lacks the inimitable, intangible complexity of Anchor Steam, but still a very good replica.

F - Well-carbonated and light-to-medium bodied. A bit chewy.

D - If I hadn't loaded myself down with the crawfish and andouille bisque, and the meat loaf, I could have tossed back a few of these. A good seasonal offering from the Titanic, best seasonal from them I've had in some time. I hope they brew this again.

Edit: Went back a couple weeks later, got it again. Was not as good as the first time. Don't know whether it was a different batch, or the original batch just got a bit stale.

Titanic's seasonals can be iffy propositions.

Turbine Steamship from Titanic Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.