Steingadener Weisse Dunkel - Aktien-Brauerei Kaufbeuren AG

Steingadener Weisse DunkelSteingadener Weisse Dunkel

Aktien-Brauerei Kaufbeuren AG visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.28/5  rDev -0.3%

App - Amber color with a bit of cloudiness. Poured a coarse bubbled head which dispersed incredibly quickly. Lacks the thick, creamy head of a weizen.

Smell - a bit of cider, a bit of sour. Soft malty character. Sour aroma definitely seems a bit off for the style.

Taste - A bit bready and malty early, transitions to a gentle fruitiness in the finish. Taste less offputting than the aroma, but the cider element to the fruitiness is a bit unusual.

MF - medium body and fairly high carbonation. A bit of carbonic bite, but no major astringency or warming. Feels like a dunkelweizen, at least.

D'ability - Not an unpleasant drinking beer, but I could probably name a dozen german wheat beers that are better without much effort.

mpyle, Jul 16, 2008
2.78/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured from a 1pt 0.9oz bottle, this beer was lighter in color than expected. This was too light to be considered a dunkelweizen, and in fact resembled its brother St Blasius (weizenbock, apparently Helles version). The aroma is a little buttery, maybe a hint of lactose sourness, not too much of the clove/banana I expected and wanted. Same with the taste, this leaves an impression of slightly sour milk. Maybe the bottle is aged improperly, in which case this review is unfair. But really it shouldn't be sold to the public (me) if this is not the intended outcome. I drank it not long after purchase after all. Bottom line: worst dunkelweizen in this reviewer's experience.

TurdFurgison, Mar 11, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +20.1%

I almost think I should try another of these before I review this but it'll be a while before I can do that. To start, I really think this beer is infected. The sour apple is way too powerful for a weizen beer.

It poured a dark yellow, more like brownish color that was hazy. The head built up quickly and then dissipated just as quickly. No lacing.

The smell was of green apple. But not in a bad way. It was more sweet than sour smelling. The best I can come up with is the same smell that you get from a bottle of Floris Apple from Huyge (the guys that make Delerium Tremens). So more like a green jolly rancher. Underneath all that there is some wheat and some malt. But its hard to tell as the bacteria commands the smell.

The taste was a bit more balanced. There was the nice dark wheat flavor and some banana hefe yeast. Then there was the sour apple. Here, in the flavor, it was sour but nice. What I got from it was a nice german hefe mixed with a lambic. Overall pretty enjoyable. Again, I am pretty sure that it shouldnt be like this but hey, I enjoyed it.

Light/medium bodied and smooth. Definitely drinkable but you have to like sour bacteria flavored beers.

t0rin0, Feb 19, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -4.3%

The ABV for this is 5.1%.

I had been on a good streak of beer I had chosen from the magnificent Sun Singer, selecting some very good and diverse beer. This one fits into the diverse category, but unfortunately not into very good. Not all bad, just not very good. The appearance precipitated The Case of the Dissipating Head. Initially, I was ready to give this a 4.5 Appearance score, wowed at first by the two lush tan fingers resting atop a cloudy nut brown body. Yet I had to change my mind after letting the beer sit a minute or so, and practically watching the head disappear before my eyes. Nary a trace of it through lacing, either. Pity. The nose leaves me equally wanting, with brown sugar and fruit mixing with some malt and hops--all of which are alluded to without stepping forward with confidence.

The taste leaves me bewildered that this is actually a dunkelweizen. I'm waiting for the weizen to knock on the door. The dearth of hops, the light feel, all are mysteriously absent. What is here is fairly tasty--sweet and sour fruit, pleasant yeast, but nothing to indicate that this is a familiar dunkelweizen. It is unique in my brief tasting experience, I'll admit.

In sum, this is a fairly good beer, but one I'm hard pressed to characterize as a dunkelweizen, and one that would seem to be terrific had it more hops and more prominent taste. For future samplers, don't expect a familiar weizen. This one is on the whole decent, but strange.

Gehrig, Feb 18, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

When the beer was poured from the pint bottle to my pint glass, it had a dark gold/amber color with a small head. The aroma was very complex. I picked up an apple aroma with a spicy undertone. There was a sweet malt presence as well and an alcohol lace. The flavor was a tad sour, probably a product of the yeast. The beer finished well. It initially is dry, but the hops peek through and the darker gains linger for a toffee flavor to boot. The mouthfeel was a medium body, well-carbonated effect. All together, the beer was a good experience.

RiekerStarBrew, Nov 18, 2007
3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Beer World of Largo, FL.

Aroma is fruity sweet with lots of malt and some mild bannna and nut notes. Copper orange in color with an amazingly fast receding head. Starts with two fingers of tan head and goes to none in seconds. Nutty roasted notes in the fore with a bit of sweet fruitcake and smooth sweet malt. Low carbonation levels and virtually no hop bitterness.

Jredner, Apr 10, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

500 ml (16.9 ounce) bottle purchased for $2.99 at Wilbur's in Fort Collins, CO.

Decent enough looking beer upon first pour -- cloudy dark amber, with a nearly white head. But the head goes away quickly, and there's no lacing.

Smell lacks the clove and banana I'm looking for, and there's not much malt presence at all. Mostly sour.

Taste is the pretty much the same -- mostly sour. It's like there's sour apple juice in this. Odd.

Mouthfeel is okay, but still not up to snuff.

Drinkability is decent, but $2.99 is just too much to pay for a beer of this rather modest quality. Certainly doesn't measure up to this brewery's fin Doppelbock.

ColoradoBobs, Feb 22, 2006
3.6/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Enjoyed in a Hefewizen glass I "won" at Volksmarch in Germany

Poured murky honey to dark brown with bubbly white head. Drops quick/no lacing

Smell: Band-aids and some frutiness

Taste: Spicy (cinamon) and fruity/doughy taste. Slight earthy taste
and some yeastiness. Dryness and some bitterness in finish with apple-like notes

MF: Fairly well balanced, good carbonation, but little more ABV wouldn't hurt

Weizens aren't usually my thing, but I be this pretty good over in Germany, not bad here. Worth a try to weizen buffs

russpowell, Jan 11, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -35.3%

Paid 2.59 at hollingshead. Way too spritzy for a hefe. Head comes up fast and high, then fizzles out quickly. Tasted a bit like a steam lager. Weak for a dunkel weizen. Aktien brauerei is usually far better than this, but i've been dissapointed with their brews lately.

drewmprs, Dec 31, 2005
3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Odd. Best before, but no date marked next to it...nor on the back label, where the month strip is labelled. At the bottom of the back label, however, it says 2/04. I wonder if? Wierd! Somebody put Duchesse in this bottle...the acetic acid is nearly that strong. When I first popped it open, I immediately thought sour milk. Cloudy amber with a small, quickly receding head and minimal lacing. On top of that, there is early rotting apples and cherries. No bananas, no cloves. Carbonation is spritzy. Mouthfeel is spritzy with a medium-light body. The taste is sour. Well, I've always wanted to try a Dunkel Lambic Weizen. Here it is! The taste is a recap of the aroma. There is the initial crackery taste of wheat mixed with lacto in the middle, a touch of cereal grain and chewed aluminum foil in the aftertaste. No alcohol is noted. Mildly acidic but not like a typical lambic. Rotting fruits and leather in the finish.

Definitely not what I expected, although (by the label) it's hard to tell if this one is past it's prime or not. I would hazard to guess it's infected if it's indeed supposed to be a dunkel-weizen. Chalk this one up as an interesting experiment. I won't rate this one to style (which gives it much higher marks that it deserves, as it's an absolutely horrible dunkel).

Mitchster, Nov 21, 2005
2.9/5  rDev -11.9%

Saw this today in a local health food store. After beginning my night with a Schneiderweisse, I (unfortnunately) followed with this. Head immediately disappated, not a good sign for a wheat beer. Taste was initially quite thin, as was the mouthfeel. Very carbonated. The taste isn't bad, but is also not good. I agree with another reviewer, who classified this one as a "soda beer". No reason to try it, boys. I'm so glad I have an Aventinus to bring me back to my standards!

JohnnyDuvel, Nov 11, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from a 500ml bottle like the one in the picture into my Franziskaner hefeweizen glass. A large, audibly fizzy light beige head briefly formed over a cola-colored brew before collapsing into nothing after a few minutes. Huge amounts of carbonation were noted rushing to the surface. No lace.
The nose had a definite caramel aroma to it; very sweet. Also some modest bready malt and mild fruit juice notes. Missing were the banana and clove aromas my nose was looking (and hoping) for.
Guess what? The banana and cloves were AWOL in the taste. too. Lots (and I mean LOTS) of caramel flavor which gave the beer a mildly cloying feel. Grainy, not bready, malt flavor mid-palate, before a final flat, limpid finish. The feel was light, thin and watery despite all that carbonation.
Man, after admiring this dunkelweizen's appearance I had high hopes for this brew. Alas, like so many things, looks can be deceiving. It had all the characteristics of a flat Coca-Cola on ice. If you want a fairly pretty beer with little else going for it, pick up a Steingadener dunkelweisse. If you're looking for a flavorful dunkelweizen, look past it.

Boilermaker88, Jun 23, 2004
2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a murky golden brown with a foamy, quickly disappearing tan head.
Smells of sweet toasted malt, banana, light citrus fruits and allspice.
Bready malt taste with banana and a bit of nut. Finishes dry with baking spices and citrusy flavors. Light flavors all around.
Thin bodied with a pallid mouthfeel and tons of carbonation.
I suppose this would be refreshing on a hot day but there's really nothing here that would make me want to have another.

rkhaze, Jun 23, 2004
3.6/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a murky light brown with nicely formed tan head. Lace clings to the glass and carbonation streams to the top of the glass.

There are strong hints of banana and clove in the nose which give this a nice fruity and spicy aroma.

There is a sweet fruit flavor in the taste which make this a refreshing beer to drink. This beer would pair well with spicy food or be a nice thirst quencher on a hot day. It's not great, but pretty good--a wish the flavors would have been a little more pronounced.

Thin mouthfeel but pleasant to drink. There is a dry tart finish.

This is a delicious beer that is pretty drinkable and a nice introduction to the style. I can't wait to try some more.

filabrazilia, Feb 22, 2004
2.95/5  rDev -10.3%

Presentation: 1 Pint 0,9 fl.oz. (that’s 500ml in proper units) in a tall, thin, slender brown glass bottle so often used by the Germans. Classy looking label with a Medieval landscape so befitting of the advertised Established Date of the Brewery, 1308.

Appearance: Chestnut brown body – with a slight copper hint. Pours with massively high levels of carbonation at first, but the head rescinds almost immediately – quite astonishing – I have never seen such a large head form & disappear so quickly without leaving any lace traces at all. Oh, but wait I have; it’s like pouring a lively cold Soda into a warm glass – it fizzes and pops as it settles to a flat appearance! It drops marks for that I’m afraid because now I’m expecting a Cola-Beer.

Nose: Very malty with a fruity aspect. Sweet hints in the foreground. Smells like leftovers from a Soda-Stream.

Taste: Well, erm, quite strange. I am beginning to wonder if this really is a Weisse-Dunkel, I’ve not had that many I will be honest, but this is like a flat malty beer mixed some lemonade. Fruity tones in the middle, slight aspect of cloves in the mildy cloying finish. Different.

Mouthfeel: The Soda aspect lends a vivacious mouthfeel to an otherwise middle of the road mouthfeel

Drinkability: Reasonably good actually – given its refreshing cold Soda aspects, especially as it has been in the 80’s today in LA. A good thirst quencher, but it is lacking in any kind of complexity department and has very simple malt tastes.

Overall: The closest think I have ever drunk to a “Beer Soda”, which in England, we would call a ‘Shandy’. It is not on my restocking list. Nice though.

TheLongBeachBum, Jun 26, 2003