Steingadener Weisse Dunkel - Aktien-Brauerei Kaufbeuren AG

Steingadener Weisse DunkelSteingadener Weisse Dunkel

Aktien-Brauerei Kaufbeuren AG visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.6/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a murky light brown with nicely formed tan head. Lace clings to the glass and carbonation streams to the top of the glass.

There are strong hints of banana and clove in the nose which give this a nice fruity and spicy aroma.

There is a sweet fruit flavor in the taste which make this a refreshing beer to drink. This beer would pair well with spicy food or be a nice thirst quencher on a hot day. It's not great, but pretty good--a wish the flavors would have been a little more pronounced.

Thin mouthfeel but pleasant to drink. There is a dry tart finish.

This is a delicious beer that is pretty drinkable and a nice introduction to the style. I can't wait to try some more.

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Odd. Best before, but no date marked next to it...nor on the back label, where the month strip is labelled. At the bottom of the back label, however, it says 2/04. I wonder if? Wierd! Somebody put Duchesse in this bottle...the acetic acid is nearly that strong. When I first popped it open, I immediately thought sour milk. Cloudy amber with a small, quickly receding head and minimal lacing. On top of that, there is early rotting apples and cherries. No bananas, no cloves. Carbonation is spritzy. Mouthfeel is spritzy with a medium-light body. The taste is sour. Well, I've always wanted to try a Dunkel Lambic Weizen. Here it is! The taste is a recap of the aroma. There is the initial crackery taste of wheat mixed with lacto in the middle, a touch of cereal grain and chewed aluminum foil in the aftertaste. No alcohol is noted. Mildly acidic but not like a typical lambic. Rotting fruits and leather in the finish.

Definitely not what I expected, although (by the label) it's hard to tell if this one is past it's prime or not. I would hazard to guess it's infected if it's indeed supposed to be a dunkel-weizen. Chalk this one up as an interesting experiment. I won't rate this one to style (which gives it much higher marks that it deserves, as it's an absolutely horrible dunkel).

3.7/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Very cloudy walnut brown. A fizzy cream head starts out strong, but quickly disappears. Leaves no lace.

S: Lots of over ripe banana, plus cloves and a bit of toffee. There's an extra fruit aroma in the back that I couldn't quite pin down. Apple perhaps?

T: Tastes a lot like it smells, which is a good thing. Starts out with a sweet banana bread flavor. A sharp clove spiciness follows. Finishes slightly tart and somewhat dry, with lingering toffee flavors.

M: The grainy body feels under carbonated for this style.

D: I'm torn over this one. The appearance and mouthfeel were way off, but the aroma and flavor were great. Crank up the fizz and get in some head retention and you'd have a nice beer. Unfortunately, this beer is only half right.

3.75/5  rDev +14%

3.95/5  rDev +20.1%

I almost think I should try another of these before I review this but it'll be a while before I can do that. To start, I really think this beer is infected. The sour apple is way too powerful for a weizen beer.

It poured a dark yellow, more like brownish color that was hazy. The head built up quickly and then dissipated just as quickly. No lacing.

The smell was of green apple. But not in a bad way. It was more sweet than sour smelling. The best I can come up with is the same smell that you get from a bottle of Floris Apple from Huyge (the guys that make Delerium Tremens). So more like a green jolly rancher. Underneath all that there is some wheat and some malt. But its hard to tell as the bacteria commands the smell.

The taste was a bit more balanced. There was the nice dark wheat flavor and some banana hefe yeast. Then there was the sour apple. Here, in the flavor, it was sour but nice. What I got from it was a nice german hefe mixed with a lambic. Overall pretty enjoyable. Again, I am pretty sure that it shouldnt be like this but hey, I enjoyed it.

Light/medium bodied and smooth. Definitely drinkable but you have to like sour bacteria flavored beers.

500 ml picked up at Tres Bonne Cuisine.. Poured into my shaped SA glass...

2 finger head dies back slowly with a bunch of lace.. the brew is lighter than I was expecting.. yet still a nice hazy copper.

Nose is unexpectedly balanced toward the grains as opposed to the clove or banana.. toasty bready notes pretty much dominate.. there are still plenty of phenols and esters.. but they are lite given the style..

Flavor mirrors the nose with a nice smack of pink bubblegum.. the maltiness helps me think of some lite vanilla.. bready malts are more punctuated as the glass hits room temperature.. clove and banana are both restrained.. caramel too shows.. wow.. this is alot better than I was expecting.. alot better as it hits room temperature..

The body is light/medium and the carbonation is a smooth medium.. I am amazed how fresh this one tastes...

Again.. I am astounded how fresh most of the German brews that I get at TBC actually taste.... I doubt it is legal.. but you would have to be a real A-Hole to complain.

4/4/4/4/4

4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

When the beer was poured from the pint bottle to my pint glass, it had a dark gold/amber color with a small head. The aroma was very complex. I picked up an apple aroma with a spicy undertone. There was a sweet malt presence as well and an alcohol lace. The flavor was a tad sour, probably a product of the yeast. The beer finished well. It initially is dry, but the hops peek through and the darker gains linger for a toffee flavor to boot. The mouthfeel was a medium body, well-carbonated effect. All together, the beer was a good experience.

4.22/5  rDev +28.3%

From Notes:

Bottle into my favorite bicentennial jar.

A: Yellow-orange haziness with nice white head.

S: Bubble gum banana

T: Bubble-gummy and banana wheatiness. With a nice maltiness. Gets a bit sweeter as it warms. Good beer.

M: Not bad.