Archipelago Traveller's Wheat - Archipelago Brewing Company / Craft Beer Hub

pDev: 0%
Archipelago Brewing Company / Craft Beer Hub visit their website
Singapore

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: basica on 08-18-2007)
Reviews by basica:
basica

Singapore

2.48/5  rDev 0%

Archipelago is another local microbrewery and after trying Brewerkz I admit I had a
certain expectation of Archipelago but I was a little disappointed. The idea of wheat
made me think of the Weizens (or Weissbier) from Deutschland and the label at the back
mentions the use of traditional Belgian ingredients. That made me choose this over the
2 other bottles of Archipelago at Naturally Marketplace (in Vivo City) After
"de-crowning" the bottle, I sniffed around the opening and was immediately greeted by a
gingerish smell... anti-climax. This beer pours out with little head even when I
deliberately sloshed it a little to attempt to create a head. I have to swirl the glass
hard for it to foam it up a little but that does not matter. On to the tasting; good thing
the taste did not have as strong a ginger smell but still I did not like the idea of using
Asian spices in beer. The wheat taste was present but did not give an experience comparable
to German Hefeweizens like the Erdinger, Paulaner's or even the American Widmer's
Hefeweizen. The after taste was malty, slightly spicy and slightly wheaty. Lastly, I also
did not sense or feel anything Belgian about this beer; Brewerkz's Moh Gwai, however, did
strongly remind me of Belgian ales. On the whole, this one's ok... a pretty drinkable beer
and a novel experience but I honestly do not really buy into it although I do like the
bottle and label design.

08-18-2007 15:50:27 | More by basica
Archipelago Traveller's Wheat from Archipelago Brewing Company / Craft Beer Hub
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.