Follow our progress ...

Hot-Jala-Heim | Horseheads Brewing Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Hot-Jala-HeimHot-Jala-Heim

Horseheads Brewing Inc.
New York, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

This style of beer is classified in the "Fruit/Vegetable" category as a "Chili beer". The focus is obviously on the chili peppers used during the brewing process. Our version uses a mix of hot peppers, including jalapenos and anaheims (hence the name...Hot-Jala-Heim). It has a delightful 'peppery' aroma as well as taste with a 'mild' sensation of heat experienced after swallowing.

Added by WesWes on 01-06-2008

Reviews: 52 | Ratings: 106
Reviews by timmy2b:
3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Picked this up at Beers of the World in Henrietta.Poured into an imperial pint glass a clear dull light goden with a bit of orange tinge,a thin wispy white head atop.Aromas are very light with biscuit dough a tinge of hard water,there is a nice sweet biscuit dough malt base on the palate,the chilis come in the back end and hit the throat.Not as assertive as I thought it would be but it's malt profile is nice.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

3.86/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bomber bottle w/o freshness info.

Pours lightly clouded lighter almond amber. Moderate and non long lived head, leaves a minor film, very thin collar and minor lace.

I get green pepper on the nose and more chilies and peppers on the palate. Chili pepper level is just about right here, you don't have to search for it and it doesn't blow up your taste buds. As a chili head who enjoys moderate head, this one was about spot on. My non-chili head wife felt about the same....Worth a try, especially if ya like the style

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%

reviewed from notes.

22oz bottle at about cellar temp split with a friend poured into a standard pint glass.

pours out a golden color with a one finger or so of white head that eventually faded to a thin layer.

the aroma is sweet jalapeno peppers, very nice, very spicy. a bit of bready malt.

great jalapeno, spicy hotsauce like flavors. very peppery, exspecialy on the backend of the palate, the heat really sticks around. crisp pale, bready malt balances things out.

spiciness all the over the palate, a little tingle but nothing unmanagable. medium in body.

a great beer to end the night with. i love this, i could session this easily, and at the low price that wouldnt really be a problem. i highly recommend this.

ive only had 2 chile beers in my life, this and the rogue, and i really enjoy the style, but this is definatly the better of the 2.

3.48/5  rDev -7.9%

Bottle from Village Beer Merchant. Quite lagerish initially, with peppers in the finish. As I got through most of the bottle, the peppers build up and its more refreshing. Grows on you. Have liked more spicey bolder of this variety, and this was not bad, drinkablity is good.

4.59/5  rDev +21.4%

Horseheads Hot-Jala-Heim

Some friends recommended this beer to me. They're not really beer drinkers, so I was excited to give it a try; but at the same time I have had some bad encounters with "chili" beers so I was prepared to be at least a little bit disappointed. That said...

I've had chili beers before, but I've never experienced one that had so much pepper aroma to it. If you like that smell, as I do, it really is fantastic. It clearly beats any of the others that I've sampled. I clearly get Jalapeno, but I'm assuming there are some Anaheims in there as well given the name. If there's any maltiness coming through I'm not really getting it as anything other than a kind of sweet bready note - and my mind must be making connections that aren't really there, because I kind of thought of it as a corn tortilla aroma. Wow, the power of suggestion.

On to the flavor... I've had jalapeno beers that were just overly hot and biting (Ed's Cave Creek), and I've had ones that were less peppery but still a bit out of balance. This one seems perfect to me. There's just a little bit of peppery heat atop a basic, sweet, pale-malt base. I don't find any hops, but I didn't expect to; nor do I find any yeasty fruitiness, which is probably a very good thing. In that respect it is kind of one-sided (or is it actually two sided, displaying both the malt & the peppers?). But complexity isn't really the issue here. It's interesting enough in and of itself. The pepper flavor is great; and the fact that they've been able to put it together so perfectly is really intriguing.

Taking a step back, it looks great in the glass as well. The body is a clear deep gold, and I can just about make my fingerprints out through the glass. The pillowy white head that rises up above it remains remarkably intact, and it leaves some really nice lacing as well.

So what to say about drinkability? It is, of course, a love it or hate it beer. Pretty much any "vegetable" beer is going to fall into that category; and I think that even vegetables themselves probably fall into that category - in the U.S. at least. So let's cut it this way, if you like the flavor and heat of hot peppers you'll like this beer. And, in fact, you may love this beer! I say that because I really feel I could drink two pints of this in a row and really enjoy both of them.

But what about food? Yes, there is a clear inclination to want to pair this with food. In fact, drinking it makes me hungry for Mexican - even just a taco with some fresh lettuce, diced tomato, black beans, onion and cheese would be a gift from the heavens. The pepper aroma and flavor immediately fire the synapses to recall memories of food flavors made with peppers. But would I drink this while eating those foods? I don't know. I think that might be overkill. But it is tempting. I think that what I would do, on the other hand, is pair this with foods that might benefit from just a little bit of peppery spice. Perhaps some extra large sweet scallops browned in butter. Or how about a juicy steak still sizzling just off the grill? Salmon? Perhaps.

In the end there's almost not enough praise I can give this perfect gem of a beer. Amazing!

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle thanks to bring on BA. Barry knew I was bummed about missing the Palo Alto/Firehouse Chocopeno on tap and was kind enough to bring this as a consolation prize. From what I've heard about the Chocopeno, this is probably a much better beer than that was.

Pours a clear copper color with a nicely formed, lacey white head.

Great aroma: fresh jalapeno peppers and caramel malt, well-balanced.

Excellent and balanced flavor, lots of pepper flavor as well as a little heat. I think adding the Anaheim peppers was a nice touch. Caramel and pale malt balance. Nothing overwhelms at all.

Medium body with a spicy mouthfeel and medium-low carbonation.

Pretty drinkable. A really great chile beer overall, even if the heat is not as intense as a hardcore heat guy like me would like.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

3.76/5  rDev -0.5%

3/31...pours pale gold with light white foam. Very faint malt smell, barely noticeable at all. Flat. Light sweet malt open followed by a slow moving but cresting wave of hot pepper burn. Steady burn, sits and stews. Whew! Hot and sweet. Excellent flavor profile. 22 ounces take a real effort.

3.74/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I was hesitant to try this beer. It was included in the tasting at the brewery, so I tried it anyway. My mother tells me it goes great with the jalapeno poppers at the local pub.

Look: Looks like a darker ale. Dark, but not quite opaque.

Smell: Smells like a darker ale sitting next to a plate of jalapeño poppers.

Taste: A darker and quite smooth ale with jalapenos. If you like eating straight jalapenos then you might like this.

Feel: Here's where the beer gets a little weird. The spice isn't particularly strong, but it tickles the back of your throat and stays there. Otherwise a smooth and enjoyable drink.

Overall: As a standalone beer, I don't care for it. However, if you have it along with a plate of jalapeno poppers (which I believe was the intent) it's very enjoyable.

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

A 650 mL bottle purchased at the brewery. Shared with Ffejherb, FooFaa, Deuane, ksak and others.

A: The ale is a golden straw color, sitting clear in my glass save for a stream of carbonation. A white head atop the ale lingered for a few minutes before disappearing.

S: Jalapeño. That is all. The nose is piquant and deliciously spiced. Like a freshly sliced pepper in a bowl. There isn't much else to say beyond that.

T: The ale is blonde, dominated by pale malts. Despite the zest in the nose, there is very little in the way of heat in the taste. There is a peppery flourish but it doesn't pack much punch. The ale does have the sweetness that I've come to appreciate from Horseheads.

M: The ale has a bit of spiciness, not so hot as black peppery. The mild body makes the nose all the more powerful.

D: A great accompaniment to beans and weenies, the ale is a pretty good brew that smells great.

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

4.5/5  rDev +19%

3.25/5  rDev -14%

holy shit! No joke with the chilis. This beer is spicy, and offers a lot of the chili fruitiness and I've always craved from a chili beer. Quite daring, but not for the faint of heart!

2.73/5  rDev -27.8%

slight bit of pepper way in the back but it was not dominating by any means. The initial sip was a work of art. Sweet milk chocolate and sugar roll across the tongue with a lively and well carbonated feel that really lets the flavor pop. Moving through you start to feel a tingle on the tongue, a warming in the throat and a fire in the belly. Subtly the chili comes through, warming you as it goes, but by no means is this too big. This is perfectly blended in the flavor, rising subtly to a crescendo that then backs down as easy as it came up.

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: The beer is clear yellowish orange in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a short white head that died down, leaving wispy patterns of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of anaheim and jalapeño peppers are present in the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has lots of flavors of chili peppers—the anaheims stand out more prominently—and has a light to moderate amount of associated spiciness.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. The chili peppers make your tongue tingle a little.
O: I found this beer to be quite drinkable for a chili beer—it had lots of pepper aromas and flavors but the spiceness was't that strong. It would pair well with Mexican food, such as tortilla chips and salsa.

3.29/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Hot-Jala-Heim from Horseheads Brewing Inc.