Pumpkin Ale - Horseheads Brewing Inc.

Pumpkin AlePumpkin Ale

Horseheads Brewing Inc. visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: israel on 09-17-2008

Tempting tastes play seek and hide,
off the trail that's true and tried.
Aromas dance as spirits guide,
down the path the pumpkins ride.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 113 | Reviews: 37
4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Bomber into a Samuel Smith 12 oz. nonic.

Appearance: Pretty light in color, surprisingly, for a pumpkin, with gold straw tints along with very minor copper highlights. A nice bright white head likes to stick around about 1/4" after leaving some nice drops of retention.

Smell: Pretty big on the caramel and the spice here, with a bit of diacetyl and biscuit going on too. As it warms there's a nice malty sweetness with hints of pumpkin pie filling.

Taste: Initially sweet, but with a nice balance of hops at the end. I'm definitely getting caramel here, along with nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, but the spices aren't out of control. And again, the hops are nicely lingering, both for bitterness and commingling with the already-present spices.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with nice crisp carbonation and good sense of mild creaminess throughout.

Drinkability: A very solid pumpkin ale, and one of the most drinkable versions of the style I've had in a while. I've had a few other brews from Horseheads I really liked that I didn't end up reviewing, so I'm hoping to be able to review a lot more in the future, especially since I'm so close to the brewery, which I hope to visit soon to pick up some more.

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter.

A - An aggressive pour yields a centimeter white head which quickly dissipated into a fine ring, clinging to the edges of the glass. The beer is sunburned copper with hazy clarity.

S - Smells just like cold pumpkin pie. All of the typical spices are there with nutmeg and clove standing out more than others. Some cinnamon comes out as it warms.

T - Taste is very artificial. Reminds me of a grocery store pie. There is something in the background I can't place...possibly diacetyl. It does have a faint buttery flavor, but is mostly covered up by the various spices. Some alcohol as the beer warms.

M - Good amount of carbonation, appropriate for style. Body is moderate and this beer seems to have attenuated quite well, as its not too sweet.

D - I've had quite a few "Pumpkin" ales and this one seems sort of in the middle of the road. The pie spices seem a little overdone, but maybe that's what they were going for. If you like store bought pumpkin pies, you'll probably like this beer.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - clear brass color with a short white head that left a few trails of lacing.

S - nice spiced aroma, nutmeg, cinnamon and sweet ginger.

T - very good tasting beer, pumpkin pie in a liquid form. I was almost tempted to put whipped cream on top.

F - light/medium bodied with a refreshing feel which is a bit unusual for a pumpkin beer.

D - goes down easy, overall a very good beer.

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%

First of all, a huge thanks to steelersxl for this great extra! I always love a good pumpkin beer during this time of year and seeing as it is a cold, wet night in Southern California, what better a time to have this?

Appearance - Pours a dark golden color with about a finger of white head that recedes relatively fast, leaving minimal lacing.

Smell - Damn, what a great smelling beer. There is something different about the spices with this beer versus another spice bomb pumpkin beer like DFH Punkin. The spices here are very clean - heavy nutmeg and cinnamon with a hint of ginger. Toasty malts, a definite brown sugar aroma reminiscent of when I was a child and would steal some from when my mother was baking. Smells like pumpkin pie, no joke.

Taste - Damn again. Utter and total liquid pumpkin. I believe it is the nutmeg that really stands out here with the cinnamon right on its back. The initial burst is spicy goodness followed by caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, and light pumpkin flavor. There was another flavor that was escaping me until I read the review beneath me and there really is a slight buttery note but not in a negative way - in a "it completes this flavor profile" way.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, quite creamy, and just enough carbonation to make this more quaffable than shippable.

Drinkability - Very happy I was able to try this. It just goes to show you that there CAN be good pumpkin beers out there. For how many horrible ones make it on the shelves, there are a couple that blow the norm away. This is one of those beers. A fine example of a pumpkin beer and I would have loved to have this at desert this Thanksgiving.

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%

Horseheads Pumpkin Ale pours a mostly clear golden body that appears orange in the full glass. The bright white head makes a nice contrast at first, but fades away all too quickly, leaving behind only minor spots and streaks of lace.

Pumpkin spices and sweet malt are clearly present in the aroma, and that's certainly true of the flavor as well. I get nutmeg, cinnamon, and I believe, allspice. There might be some ginger in there as well, but whatever it is, it's a nicely balanced blend, and not over-done. There's also a hint of what I'm thinking of as a butter & vanilla note that helps to round it all out. I can smell it and taste it - might be from the yeast, might be from the pumpkin, might be from vanilla flavoring... who cares?! Quite pleasant!

In the mouth it's medium bodied and gently carbonated, allowing you to taste the malt and spices without too much additional 'zing'.

Surprisingly drinkable for a spiced ale! Well done!

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

I tried this for the first time yesterday, on tap at the brewery (3rd batch) and later on bottled with BeerTruth.

This medium golden amber babe comes included with good carbonation and an appropriately resilient white head, score!

The nose on this is really inviting. It smells of whipped cream, sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin...like real pumpkin.

Yep, my new favorite pumpkin beer. This tastes to me like the filling of a pumpkin pie and whipped cream topping. To make it even more enjoyable this beer is smooth and not heavy or sticky sweet in the body. This beer is to me what Pumpking was, half as sweet and 8 times more drinkable. The focus is more on creamy pumpkin and spices and not sugar and graham cracker.

Very drinkable, I took home a growler for this weekend and 3 bottles for whenever.

2.41/5  rDev -43%

I picked this up recently while grabbing all the pumpkin beers I could find at a local beer store. I had high hopes for it after reading the reviews here, but I just can't bring myself to like this beer.

A - A decent dark-copper color with a fizzy white head. Good color, but an almost soda-like head on it.

S - Strong smell of spices and (artificial?) pumpkin pie. It smells like pumpkin spice syrup you can buy for coffee drinks.

T - Sweet. Very, very sweet, followed up by a pumpkin-pie spice kick. Just tastes artificial to me. I don't know if it is, or if its the combination of sweet and overspiced that makes it taste like a pumpkin latte, but it does. There's just enough spice and hops to keep it drinkable, but most of the complexities are just overwhelmed by the sweetness and pumpkin pie flavors.

M - Surprisingly good mouthfeel. Rich and creamy, which does go well with the sweetness and desserty-ness of this beer.

D - It's drinkable, but barely. The artificial-tasting pumpkin spice and sweetness overwhelm everything else and keep it pretty one-dimensional. There's enough hints of malt and hops to keep it drinkable, but its definitely not balanced.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I live in Upstate NY and had never even heard of this NY brewery until today. Decided to give the Pumpkin Ale a shot, which not many seem to have tried but apparently has been well received by those who have.

A - Light golden body with a one finger white foamy head that persists. Seems to be plenty of carbonation rising in the glass.

S - Spices and pumpkin (good thing to smell, most pumpkin ales are simply spicy brown ales). There is also a nice malty/biscuity backbone. Already I can smell some cinnamon and brown sugar. The sweetness and spices come through very well especially after the first sip.

T - Wow, this is unlike any other pumpkin ale I've had. The closest thing to it is the Southern Tier Pumking and it is still very different. Pumpkin, spice, very sweet tasting with a nice almost burning bite to it. I like that it has that squash taste to it that most pumpkin ales lack. There is definitely a cinnamon and brown sugar taste going on here, and it tends to lean towards the spices, but still balances well with a nice bready malt backbone and true pumpkin flavor. They are infusing that buttery pie crust flavor in the finish that Southern Tier Pumking pulls off, which I am VERY impressed by.

M - Smooth silky mouthfeel but the overcarbonation is a bit much. If they toned down the carbonation this would be perfect.

D - A very nice treat but I can't even tell the ABV on this one (it puts on quite a buzz even after a couple of sips so I imagine it is 8-10%). It is extremely flavorful so I would probably not session this one. It seems like a more imperial style pumpkin ale than your average pumpkin ale, but I guess we won't know until there is an ABV reading. The 22oz does just fine!

Overall, a very nice change of pace in the onslaught of pumpkin ales this season. Definitely seems to be more of an imperial style and the closest thing to it (and still my favorite) is the ST Pumking, but this is completely unique in its own right. I should have grabbed more! Definitely recommended from this pumpkin ale fanatic.

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

A dark golden body with a thick, off-white head that leaves some nice lacing and has pretty good retention.

The aroma is pretty good; spices are present but by no means overwhelming. The smell of pumpkin is there too, which tends to get lost among lots of spices in many pumpkin beers (yeah, I know, pumpkins don't do much for aroma and flavor in beer, but I still smell it). Underneath all of that I can pick up a backbone of buscuity malt.

The taste is a little more skewed toward spices, but it is still relatively balanced. Cinnamon sugar, pumpkin; overall it tastes a good bit like a really well-spiced pumpkin pie. The biscuity malt is in the background. The finish has a touch of hops to it, making it pretty dry.

Slightly creamy body with moderate carbonation.

Not a bad drinker at all; I think I've reached my quota for pumpkin beers this year though.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

The beer pours a beautiful golden color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a very balanced pumpkin aroma with just the right amount of pie spice. These guys use the canned pumpkin and I've gotta admit. It's quite tastey. The taste is good. It has a smooth dessert like flavor that resembles pumpkin pie almost as good as Southern Tier's Pumpking. It stays in check and isn't overly spicey. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is one of their more popular beers and I can see why. It's delicious.

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%

this beer pours a pleasant golden amber with a white head. the aroma is straight out of the oven pumkin pie, I'm not sure how the effect is obtained but it smells and tastes like pumpkin pie in a glass. the mouthfeel is a medium body with a nice smooth finish... deffinitely the best pumkin beer I've had.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

A - pours amber in color with an off white head that seems to hang around for awhile.

S - hints of spices but nothing too forth-coming, nice aroma of maltiness also

T - hard to describe but nothing too overpowering, this might be one of the best balanced pumpkin beers I've had. I can taste the pumpkin and spice, but if this wasn't called a pumpkin ale it might take me a little while to figure out the flavors.

M - nice carbonation and silky smooth mouthfeel, finishes on the drier side with very little residual sugars.

D - This beer is really drinkable and I could easily polish a few bottles off myself. Might be the best pumpkin beer I've had this year

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Pumpkin Ale from Horseheads Brewing Inc.