Rye PA - Horseheads Brewing Inc.

Rye PARye PA

Beer added by: almychristopher on 11-04-2008

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by tviz33:
4.12/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber in to a pint glass.

A- Pours a deep clear amber color with one fingers worth of creamy tan head and some lather-like lacing.

S- A nice sugary sweetness compliments a mostly citrusy nose with some bitterness.

T- The most noticeable difference between this beer and most is the distinct buttery creaminess in the taste which is not unlike caramel popcorn. Besides that, it is quite hoppy and bitter.

M- Towards the lighter side of medium-bodied but full of crisp carbonation with dry, bitter finish

O- This is a great change of pace for an APA. The rye really begins to show as the brew warms.

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

22oz bottle at fridge temp poured into a snifter. listed as 6% ABV, 57 IBU on their website.

pours a fairly clear dep golden color. nice creamy white head with very nice retention. good lace as well.

buttery, bready malts, a touch of a grainy rye like aroma. hops are very mild in the aroma, more towards the earthy herbal side.

easy flavors, but likeable. a little buttery, fresh baked bread, grainy rye thats only a touch spicy, felt in the finish. light on the herbal, earthy hops. good bitterness in the finish with small amounts of citrus, pine, and hop resin.

medium to light in body. such an easy drinker. carbonation is a little on the high side.

a good, sessionable pale ale, this could have used a little more rye, not really enough for me to label this a ryePA. also, maybe a little more hop flavor. but its something everyone can enjoy. id drink this again.

3.91/5  rDev +9.5%

I picked up a few bombers of this one at Finger Lakes Beverages after visiting the brewery itself. They were tapping the new batch at 5:30, but I couldn't stay that late in the area so the previous batch's bottle is my first experience, and I love rye soooo....

This one comes packed with a real nice head, about two fingers deep in my Duvel tulip, thick and slightly off-white. As it slowly fades it leaves its mark all down the sides, giggity. As for the hue, at first I thought it was almost a light pumpkin-orange from the light, but as I let it sit and revisit it in normal lighting it is a more medium ruby-auburn, hints of gold, and pretty clear.

The nose is a curious sweet that almost reminds me of fresh cherries. Not that it smells like a cherry so much as a very faint hint, a touch of grassy hops, and not much else. Maybe I'm getting stuffy or something, but even after sitting for a good 10 minutes it hasn't really opened up, but it is a pale ale, not ipa, so I let it go.

Up front the malts hold the court, a hint of spice and citrus join the party, and then the rye slowly comes out. The rye sticks with you in the finish, along with the bitterness of the hops, like really sticks with you. As this warms a bit I like it even more as the rye becomes more pronounced in all parts of the sip and dries out the beer a bit. The carbonation on this is a touch above spot on but nothing that takes away from the experience. I drank this whole bomber with not even a second thought, secretly happy I didn't have to share ;-)

I was really excited to find there were bottles still at FLB as this and the pumpkin were my main reasons for heading down there from Syracuse. Horseheads is a real gem, they produce solid beers, and the wife there listens to good hard rock. I wish I lived closer, but I have no problem making the trip down there when I am in da 'Cuse. I can not say it is my top rye beer or rye pale, but like my top rye's this too is not available locally to me and I will pick it up anytime I am able to.

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

burnt amber, with no real large head. What was there faded quickly but left a film of gooey, drippy lace skimming on the top, lots of eddys and swirls rounding about on it. Deep dripping lace down the glass, and a bit of a bubble stream coming up from the bottom. Smell was big and strong. Big citrus players here, lots of orange and grapefruit. Very sweet smell, like orange sherbert or candy. Very nice and plesing to the nose, smells like it will be a winner. Taste struck me as odd, after all the sugary itrus in the smell, none really came through in the taste. There was a strong bitter hop presence, providing lots of IBU's however it was more of a pine,resiney type of hops, rather then the sweet candy orange that came through at first. Nice and crisp, clean, very dry and long lingering finish, leaving a taste of burntor raosted pine for several minutes after a sip

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is slightly hazy orange amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high off white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of rye are present in the nose along with hints of caramel and toffee malts.
T: The taste has light to moderate flavors of spicy rye that seem to mask any sweetness from the underlying malts. Slight hints of pine are also noticeable from the hops, which contribute a light amount of bitterness. Bits of spiciness from the rye linger through the finish.
M: It feels a bit more than medium-bodied and slightly crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer seemed like a hybrid of different styles. It was a lot maltier compared to other pale ales and wasn't as spicy compared to rye ales. Nonetheless, there is a nice balance between the malts and rye.

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Had a 22 oz bottle, poured into a pint (twice, left the second half out of the fridge).

Looks good on the pour. Nice thick, paper-white head that fell apart a bit quickly. Real nice sparkly carbonation and a wonderful orangey-brown hue to the brew itself. Not much in the way of lacing as I drink, but not a deal breaker.

The nose was a bit disappointing to me. I'm not sure if I expected to get more of a hop nose, but I definitely thought it would smell a bit spicier what with the rye and all. Slight pine-scent from the hops, bit of a sweet nose that I can't place...

Taste is way off of what I expected. I thought the rye would be much more pronounced and barring that, a more bitter haop flavor, but I get neither. This beer doesn't taste bad at all. The average rating is due mainly to my expectations. Good balance, but not enough rye or hop for my definition of PYE PA.

Clean mouthfeel. Very well attenuated, not too sugary thick and very effervescent even from the second half of the bottle.

I could definitely drink this on my own and I will again. No need to share or pawn the rest of this one off. Although it wasn't what I thought it would be, I'd buy another anytime now that I know what is in store for me.

3.75/5  rDev +5%

4.18/5  rDev +17.1%

My first Horseheads brew, courtesy of big daddy Lum. Thanks, pumpkin-lover!

I allow the refrigerated bomber bottle to temper for a few minutes before I crack the crown, and am rewarded in the pouring with a crystal clear copper-amber body topped with a huge, creamy cap of ivory foam. A trickle of internal carbonation feeds the wallopy formation of fine bubbles; the head relaxes very slowly and deposits a wispy film of lacing onto the sides of my imperial pint-sized willibecher glass.

The aroma is loaded with herbal, grassy hops and evidences a citrus-tinged backbone of light toasted grain drizzled in caramel. A splash of golden apple sprinkled with pepper livens things up as the drink warms.

The taste is creamy toasted malts cut with a citrus edge, and is augmented by a dry, husky, tannic pepperiness. Rich, mellow toasted grain and semisweet toffee are countered beautifully by sticky green herbal notes and a solid, but not at all intense, drying bitterness. The rye component of the flavor profile is soft, quite sweet, silky and mellow, but also sports a notable spicy bite. Grassy, bitter, mildly citrusy hops clean up the finish and leave the aftertaste aridly dry and laced with a persistent peppery tingle.

The drink is on the fullish side of medium-bodied with excellent carbonation and firm, succulent feel. Rye PA is damned tasty and a very well-made beer. If this is how they roll in Horseheads, count me as a fan! Thanks again, Lumsta!

3.75/5  rDev +5%

3.25/5  rDev -9%

22 oz bottle, no date but just bought at the brewery 2 weeks ago.

Medium copper color, clear. Off white thin head. Sweet malty aroma, not really any hops. Same with the taste. A bit of earthy flavor. Starts sweet, finished s bready. Medium body and carbonation.

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer came my way via the Small Aquatic Mammals Bif! The beer was served chilled in an Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The body of the beer is a bright amber coloration. Tight bubbles of active carbonation rise to the top of my glass. The head is thick with a white coloration. Nice lacing marks this beers passage from my glass.

Smell: The aroma of bitter citrus and light pine combine well with a spicy rye aroma with caramel backing.

Taste: This APA very almost balanced perfectly. Very pleasing notes of caramel on rye bread. A well balanced citrus strikes my tongue breaking up the sweetness.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light and well carbonated. A good amount of slickness promotes the drinkability. This is a very well executed APA and very enjoyable. I really like the use of rye in the beer. Well Done!

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

The beer pours a beautiful golden color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a balanced aroma of malts and hops. The grain bill is good, but I'd add a little more rye. This was a test batch and I'm told the next one with have more rye character. Anyway, the hops smell fresh; very nice IPA. The taste is good as well. It has a solid maltly flavor that boasts of pale, Munich, and rye malts. It's quite bitter all the way through the end. This is a flavorful IPA. The rye is noticable in the finish with additional mouthfeel and a slight spicey character. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a very drinkable IPA. It's well balanced with plenty of complexity. Nice Job!

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Picked up a few bottles of this today at the brewery.

Pours a clear copper color with two inches of light beige head. Keeps a pretty good lace and leaves a ring or two of stick on the sides.

Smell has a rather delicate citrusy and floral aroma. Smells fresh, not a huge hoppy nose but very pleasant. Has a somewhat toasty, bready aroma as well as some sweet caramel. It is a bit on the weak side, however.

Taste also consists of floral and citrus hop flavors along with toasty, bready malt and some sweet caramel. The rye really comes on strong in the finish, where there it goes along with a moderate hop bitterness. It's very bready and has a touch of the sort of spicy quality rye often imparts, although it's primarily bready. It's quite nice, and more flavorful than the nose let on.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very crisp, quite clean in the finish with a good level of carbonation. Very smooth.

This is another really nice beer from Horseheads. Their IPA is really outstanding and this is also very good. Very drinkable and fresh tasting and the rye adds some nice qualities. Definitely make your way to Horseheads or look for their beer upstate.

2.75/5  rDev -23%

2.5/5  rDev -30%

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Rye PA from Horseheads Brewing Inc.