Horseheads IPA - Horseheads Brewing Inc.

Horseheads IPAHorseheads IPA

Horseheads Brewing Inc. visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: naproxen on 01-19-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last

A bottle purchased at Finger Lakes Beverage a few weeks back.

A: The IPA has a glowing golden yellow hue, crystal clear except for a stream of bubbles. A finger of white head on the first few pours are quick to dissolve away.

S: The nose is hop-heavy. Plenty of zesty floral citrus to go around. I was expecting something strong but was caught off-guard with the power of this one. Pale bready malts and that unique Horseheads aroma are also present.

T: The ale doesn't taste like an 8.1% brew. The hoppiness, floral and citrusy, a grapefruit and a field of fresh flowers. What a great combination. Behind the hops, biscuity pale malts and Horseheads house yeast flavor hang out. The booziness, hidden for so long, makes itself evident during larger swigs from my tumbler. The hops, star of the show, have an oily fullness that coats the palate during each sip, allowing the flavors to come out stronger. A good IPA.

M: The oily hops, citrusy strong, are vibrant and rich. A serious IPA from Horseheads.

D: The booziness is a little high and a little too present to really dig into the IPA. I'll nurse my bomber and be content with that.

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

Finally, I get a shot to grab one of these down south. I have been wanting to get to this brewery for months. Poured into a pint glass from a bomber

A- pours a straw yellow look that has quite the hazy appearance. There is a decent head that resides while not leaving much lacing behind. There is no question that the brew looks like it's going to be a heck of an ipa

S- an bouquet of floral and grapefruit hops are unleashed in this brew! Major citrus themes emerge from this, with an equally impressive sweet malt taste at the end. This is one of the most impressive IPA scent profiles I have come across in some time

T- Yup, the taste delivers just like the scent. A piney and bitter grapefruit theme engulfs your tastebuds. The brew is tremendously bitter towards the end. This brew displays a bitter IPA at it's best.

M- full bodied and creamy. It's pretty carbonated and chewy at the same time. The brew no question leaves some flavor behind

D- this is a fantastic IPA. The brew has high alcohol, which means you need to be careful. The taste is fantastic and that will mak you want more. There are so many IPA's out there... yet in one sitting, Horseheads IPA will be a brew that I bring up in conversation. I am confident that once they increase their distibution... more people will agree with that statement

3.91/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Pours a medium, cloudy orange color with a nice, fluffy two fingered head and very limited amounts of carbonation.

S - Has some mild grassy notes, some citrus dankiness, mild grapefruit aroma, mild amounts of oranges, and light crackery malt.

T - First taste yields a caramel, crackery, buttery malt that stays underneath throughout to support the generous hopping. Orange citrus, grapefruit, and lightly peppery finish. After the sip there's an orange citrus after taste in the mouth that leaves a coating and a moderate grapefruit presence that lingers for a few minutes.

M - Lighter side of medium body and is pretty crisp for a big IPA. Has a mild prickliness on the tongue.

D - Nice balance, not obtrusive in any way with no dominating flavors.

Was very enjoyable and I would buy this again. Nicely done and I'm very curious as to how this would taste off the tap with a really fresh batch. Cheers, Horseheads!

Update: 3-13-12 - Had on tap and had a similar experience, except with more intensely pronounced grapefruit bitterness.

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Had to jump at the chance to get my hands on this one. It eluded me its first pass through the area. Overlooked it several times due to the plane Jane bottle labels but heard it was phenomenal from my local beer merchant so it went on the better luck next time list. There is no bottled on date but I would imagine this is fresh as hell since I haven't seen it on shelves in over a month. Onto the review.
Pours a nice hazy dark straw gold.the head on the initial pour is phenomenal! Like a root beer float, fluffy and thick like a cloud. No real lacing to speak of. Smell is like a punch in the nose. Sharp, grassy, piney, intensity fades after a couple of minutes and you can pick up some citrus and a tad of caramel. The taste is where this beer shines. Strong citrus hop character. Like biting into a juicy white grapefruit rind and all. A tad bitter but I am digging it, reminds me of a West Coast IPA for sure, just a tad more balanced. The mouthfeel is nice, a bit oily on the palate but very nice carbonation and the bitterness lingers on the palate for a bit.
Overall I was not disappointed. This is a highly drinkable IPA and only $5 of a bomber = WIN. Not sure what the distribution on this brew is but I would recommend seeking it out if you enjoy a nice American IPA

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours slightly hazy bright pale golden amber, visibly effervescent, with almost a full finger loose foamy white head that faded fairly quickly leaving spotty patterns of Belgian lacing. The smell has nice hop presence of grassy pine but at the same time substantially citrusy. Adequately carbonated yet a lighter mouth feel than i'm used to from an IPA. The flavor is wonderfully well balanced citrus tropical hops and sweet malty ending. The 8% ABV is well integrated...would never have guess it's that heavy because the mouth is so light. The best beverage coming out of Horseheads IMO!!

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours hazy golden with slight fluffy head. Aroma is grapefruity but a little murky. Flavor is big and simcoey, grapefruit and grassy, but there is a bananaish ester that is distracting, though it lessens as it warms. Mouthfeel is thick. Good but unsophisticated.

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

A celebrated brew courtesy of a world class BA, number1bum. Thanks Josh!

Appearance: Poured from an overly filled bomber (seriously, filled straight up to the bottle cap) into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. The beer is a slightly cloudy yellowish golden color with a surprising amount of bubbles billowing up from the bottom of the laser-etched glass. Head is slightly disappointing, only about a centimeter worth, and as such there's not much to retain. Lacing is decent...not exactly thick sticky stuff adhering to the sides of the glass, more like a smooth film slowly working its way down.

Smell: A nice hop presence, mainly a sweet citrusy smell that's not quite the potency of ripe grapefruit. There's a very subtle malt backbone that attempts balance, but hops are what stand out the most.

Taste: I was hoping the hops would be more pronounced, but they are right in line with what the smell would indicate. Not exactly subtle, but not quite "in your face" either. While this beer is much better than your average IPA I feel it could use a slightly stronger hit of hoppy goodness. Then again, I am a self-diagnosed Hop Head and there can never be enough hoppy goodness.

Mouthfeel: Pretty much nails what I feel an IPA should be. Plenty of carbonation and a nice medium body. Very well done here.

Drinkability: I have to give this brew top notch drinkability ratings. As much as I do love a good hardcore hoppy IPA, this brew has enough hoppiness to keep me happy, yet is subdued enough to be an all night drinker. I would definitely recommend this brew to anybody in need of steady, all night hop fix.

Thanks Josh!

Just received this brew BeerTruth for being awesome. He's been raving about it for weeks so it better be good. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute.

Appearance- Pours a light yellowish with a beautiful one finger creamy white head that's got some serious staying power. A decent cap and collar remains the entire beer but not much lacing sticks around.
Smell- Very earthy and dank with a shit load of grainy grass and dandelion. The hops are somewhat dark smelling and piney. A light buttery caramel undertone is noticeable but its light.
Taste- Starts with a fairly bitter bite of hoppy goodness. Like the nose it's grassy and super earthy with a bit of pine tossed in. Not a total hop bomb though as plenty of crystal malts are caramelly and nice. The finish is somewhat bitter though and it lingers for some time.
Mouthfeel- Fairly heavy body that is nice and creamy with a light bit of carbonation.
Drinkability- Pretty tasty and a definite change of pace from what I'm used to. Almost no fruitiness what-so-ever as the hops are purely danky goodness. Thanks much Adam!

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been looking forward to trying this since BeerTruth graced us with his review, rare as that is these days. Also of note, this was about the fullest bomber I have ever seen - it was filled to within about 1/2" of the cap. This has to be more than 22oz. Anyway...

Pours a hazed golden color with one finger of off-white head. Head settled very quickly and left only a rimjob and a small splash of stick here and there.

Smell has some zesty lemon and grapefruit, plus a good amount of pine. Nice hoppiness going on here. If this beer had more head that kept better I think it would burst through on the nose even more.

Taste is full of piney, resiny, citric hoppy goodness. Pithy bitter grapefruit too. Wow, this brew has a surprisingly nice smack of hops. There's a bit of pale malt sweetness here too, but this is pretty much all about the hops which are showcased well. Substantial bitterness in the finish with some sticky, resiny hop flavor left over too.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very slick on the palate. Carbonation is a bit on the light side actually, but it still feels very crisp because the finish is dry and so bitter. It has a nice slickness to it as well.

This is a damn good IPA, plain and simple. Get your hands on it if you can.

4.79/5  rDev +18.6%

Wow. Horseheads is pretty consistently great, but I had no idea they had an IPA like this in them. Let me preface this by saying I tried Pliny the Younger last weekend for the first time. So I have memories of world-class IPA in my head, and this is indeed world class.

The smell hit me before this beer even exited the bottle, so I need to start with that. The biggest aroma I've ever gotten from an IPA. Huge grass, pine, and maryjane. An almost overpowering nose on this. It smells so good I couldn't wait to try a sip.

This is tasty tasty hop candy. More of what you get in the nose with grapefruit rind, bitterness, and serious hop flavors. This is the closest to a West Coast style IPA I've ever tasted from this half of the country. The bitterness is one step down from Hopsickle, but still very aggressive and lingering.

At 8.1% alcohol, and 93 IBUs, this is infringing on DIPA territory. Unfortunately Horseheads has next to no distribution outside of the town itself (I believe the Village Beer Merchant guys roadtrip to the brewery to bring back beer to sell) but if you happen upon this beer, do not pass go, do not collect $200, buy it instantly. You can thank me later.

I realize this has been gushing fanboyism, but I've been severely underwhelmed by hoppy beers lately and this one is an all-out hop assault on my palate and I couldn't thank these guys enough for it.

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

I've made it a habit to pick up any new beers from Horseheads that I see, and since I like IPAs, I didn't make this one an exception.

Horseheads IPA has a very light, clear, golden body. Probably a little bit lighter than I would expect. A good bit of active carbonation bubbles move around in the body. It has boasts a giant off-white head that settles down to a finger-thick ring that looks a little bit soapy on top of the body. Only scraps of lacing are left, but there are quite a few scraps, and they are thick and sticky looking.

The aroma is a great one for an IPA; tons of floral hops attack your nose, accompanied by fruity, citrus flavors and a bit of bitterness. I can smell just a touch of pale malt, but it is small and planted firmly in the background, allowing the hops to shine.

Up front Horseheads IPA presents a bunch of fruity hops that are cut by a slightly bitter grapefruit flavor and some pine resin. That initial blast of hops actually makes up most of the beer; it has just a touch of pale malt in the background, and leaves a delightful aftertaste of hops.

The body is on the light side and the carbonation is on the high side, which makes me think that if the mouthfeel were adjusted a bit it would be an improvement for both the feel and the taste.

Overall, Horseheads IPA is a pretty nice expression of hops that is not complex, but it is still pretty good. I like it.

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Serving type- 65 ounce growler poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a darker straw color. There is ample carbonation activity after the pour and a white one finger head that quickly dissipates to a small lingering foam. Overall a nice looking beer but nothing out of the ordinary.

S- Reminescent of any other IPA, there are citrus notes coupled with other floral hints that because of the combination of flavors are difficlut to decipher.

T- This is where this brew comes out to shine. I am picking up a strong and bitter start to the taste that stays constant throughout. I am also picking up the piney citrus flavors as well. Overall a nice tasting IPA that might seem a little too bitter for some up right up my alley.

I recieved this growler from Aliza in this leg of growling at the Moon. This is a nice and solid IPA and Aliza was not wrong in stating that I would find this beer to be a good offering. I can see why this is becoming her go to beer. Without this BIF I probaby would never have heard about this beer and certainly never have gotten a chance to try it. Thanks Aliza!

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

The beer pours a beautiful gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has an awesome pale malt scent along with a lovely hop nose. It's floral as hell! The taste is great as well. It's loaded with hops; a real hop heads' delight. The base is mainly pale malts, but it provides adequate balance. It goes down easy with rich, bitter finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine IPA. The hops really come out and bite you. Nice job Horseheads Brewing.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Traveled to Horseheads with naproxen this past weekend and picked up this gem. We sampled it in the tasting room and knew we were taking it home.

22 oz. bomber poured into a nonic.

Pours a clear pale golden hue with a one finger off-white head that falls to a thin layer of foam. Some random chunks of lace cling to the sides of the glass. Aroma is herby dank with a light citrus undertone. Earthy hops with a touch of biscuits and malts in the nose as well. Taste starts with sweet grass and some sticky pine. Midway the malt bill comes forward with some caramel sweetness. The finish is pretty fucking bitter and forward with hops. Grapefruit rinds, straight up herb, and dirty earth in the aftertaste...awesome. Big chewy mouthfeel with a very mild carbonation. To me, the body is spot on for such a beefy IPA. I like this beer a lot, but I liked it ever more on tap. If you like simcoe hops, you'll definitely appreciate this beer. I really hope Bob gets this beer at J Ryan's here in Syracuse...along side some Nugget Nectar, sticky icky...OOOWWWEEE!!!

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

The Illustrious BeerTruth and I welcomed this new offering and gladly rewarded ourselves with some bottles at the brewery this weekend. This review is from a bottle shared 1/18/10.

I fell in love at first whiff with this one. My first inhalation at the brewery made me snicker and nod in shared acceptance with my co-conspirator. It might have been time to do my shirt laundry, but the distinctive Simcoe hops are really holding their own here upfront, with a slightly creamy grapefruit and lemon finish.

This looks just as delicious, the almost pure white head is creamy and resilient, leaving a dancing display of lace down the glass (a most BAMF Darkness, thanks Dan-O).

The light golden, slightly hazed appearance will mislead you into thinking the body will follow suit. The carbonation is just high enough to balance out the slightly oily quality the hops add to the body. Bitterness is not lacking at all, it jumps right in at the end and sticks around as long as it likes.

I am 93 IBU's of smiles after drinking this one, again. And again. The alcohol creeps on you like a ninja, it is undetectable in every sip and yet is always there at the end of the bottle. I really should drink another one, now :-)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Horseheads IPA from Horseheads Brewing Inc.