Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Monk IPA - Inlet Brewing Co.

Monk IPA
No picture.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Inlet Brewing Co. visit their website
Florida, United States

Belgian IPA |  ABV ?

Beer added by: zeff80 on 01-21-2014

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bizarrely overcarbonated, it was a serious pain to get the head down. Overall a decent, albeit uncomplex, ipa with some big citral notes and strong hop bitterness.

2.61/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Ridiculously foamy out of the bottle. A chewy brew with sticky constitution and weak hop flavor. I get little or no hint of Belgian flavor here. Sweet caramel. Okay but disappointing.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with white head. Floral notes, light citrus and tropical fruits on the nose; follows onto the palate. Not an overly hoppy resinous IPA.

3.05/5  rDev -5.3%

Had this out of a bottle a few hours ago.

I'm interested in the Belgian IPA style but unfortunately this one didn't work for me, mostly because it was extremely overcarbonated.

I couldn't really get much of a nose out of the bottle, though I think I picked up some of the belgian funkiness.

Taking a drink, I was suprised to find that the beer was incredibly carbonated. So much so that it all foamed up inside my mouth. I don't know whether there was a fermentation issue in this particular bottle or if the brewery is trying to dial in the yeast, but it reminded me of an overprimed bottle of homebrew.

It was plenty hoppy, but with the carbonation I couldn't tease apart too many of the flavors. The belgian funkiness and hops were well balanced but kind of combined into one flavor that left me a bit confused.

I expect this would be much better without the overcarbonation, and I would prefer to drink this kind of beer out of a glass. Still, I would have to rank this alongside mediocre homebrew in terms of how much I enjoyed it.

3.56/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has an orange/golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of tropical fruits, some sweetness. Taste is well balanced, hops up front, malts at the finish, a bit of tropical fruits. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

3.68/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Color: A bit more golden light for an IPA with a smallish fizzy head with slight spotting on the glass

Smell: A bit sweet, maybe caramel, with a citrus and slightly floral scent to me.

Taste: This is not a typical IPA. This is a very light IPA that has a slightly sweet start, then slightly bitter citrus middle with a fresh finish. The flavors are all slight, but it is very well balanced and enjoyable to drink.

Feel: Good carbonation with light hops fill out this beer comfortable, but everything seems pretty light. It's overall a very good full flavor lighter IPA.

Monk IPA from Inlet Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.