Monk In The Trunk - Inlet Brewing Co.

Monk In The TrunkMonk In The Trunk

Inlet Brewing Co. visit their website
Florida, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: bluegrassbrew on 09-02-2007

Ratings: 184 | Reviews: 62

prior to purchasing we noticed this from the Inlet Brewery of Jupiter ,Fla . which actually not quite true it is actually brewed/bottled in North Carolina. ....read on I thought we were were going to rewarded with another Belgian style ale this resembles a poor Amstel light at it's best
poured into a Pint glass, medium carbonation,then settles quickly.lacings well..not much really
Amber color more like orange , hops noted but minimal and appears to be almost artificially carbonated .
Very poor and was dissappointed in smell ,taste,finish and an extremely high price for a six pack. They have some learning to do if they want to stay in business and call this a Belgian ale. see my review of Palm ales corp brewer crap

ale for dead parrots and budweiser fans,it's from a trunk alright,someone's swimtrunks
rubber bizkit swill from dead parrot's water bottle
this stuff is good for weed control and small rodents

1.91/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Meh imitation Belgian. Claims Florida origins, but outsourced from South Carolina. Palatable but uninspiring. Do not waste your time.

2.89/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance: Clear brown. Would have like to have seen more reddish color. Head dissipates after about 2 minutes.

Smell: Malty scent with earthy tones. Barely floral. A hint of fruit (banana?). Not very strong aroma.

Taste: Mild. Slightly sweet. Malty. Grains have that taste like rice/sorghum (see also: New Grist from Lakefront Brewery). The main drawback of the taste is an "earthy" flavor that hits the roof of your mouth. . Slightly bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability: Really pretty good, despite that slight funk in the aftertaste.

3.24/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Had this beer from the bottle at a bar. It was decent but nothing special. Good malty-spicy flavor balanced by a slight bitterness and by no means a bad beer. However I wished there was a higher ABV as well as overall flavor either from the malt or hops.

1.65/5  rDev -49.2%

I must have gotten ahold of a bad batch. This poured absolutely flat and syrupy. It had no nose whatsoever--very weird. No head. There was a slight root beer taste, but I wasn't interested enough to finish it.

2.56/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle poured into a glass.

A - Looks like a nut brown ale. Not much of a head, but was poured, by the waitress, from the bottle into a glass.

S - Not much to it. Smells like a pilsner with more malt.

T - Tastes like it smells. Definitely does not taste like a red ale, but I've been spoiled by Cigar City's red (Tocobaga) for quite some time. Tastes like a pilsner with more malt and a strong nutty flavor.

M - Very, very light for a 5.5%. A very drinkable beer - not what I was expecting - in fact, I was hoping for something much heavier.

O - Worth a try, but I won't be having another.

Intersting note: Outsource brewed. Made by Inlet Brewing in Jupiter, FL, but brewed in NC...

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%

A: clear translucent amber color. Good amount of head poured from bottle. Good amount of lacing.

S: smells yeasty. Not very strong though.

T: Citrusy. Slight hop, bit of a sweet aftertaste

M: crisp, hoppy, full feel. Covers tongue sharply

O: overall solid amber. Good flavor, fits nicely on the water or on the beach. Had it multiple times now and always enjoy it.

4.05/5  rDev +24.6%

Delicious beer. Nice hoppy flavor without the bitterness of an IPA. A nice cross-over between styles (between an Ale and an IPA).

I had the pleasure of trying this beer at the Yard House in West Palm, FL and it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately, it wasn't my type of beer although I drank it since I will never waste a beer. This is the type of beer that you have to at least try, don't knock it until you try it. I would decribe the beer a little bit but to be honest, I don't remember anything except for the copper taste (if I recall right).

4.63/5  rDev +42.5%

Great amber ale- pours almost a burnt orange color. Light to moderate head.
Nice floral and citrus smell. Very light spices.
Very drinkable taste.
Pleasant light hoppy after taste.
Very nice drinkable and refreshing beer.
Apparently its organic as well.

1.69/5  rDev -48%

There was an overpowering fishy taste to the beer. I lost the Belgian-y esters and the malty notes I was hoping for. I remember catching the off-flavors on an earlier bottle I'd picked up, but nothing as strong as this. After three sips, it was a bottle dump. And that's rare for me.

4.5/5  rDev +38.5%

This is a terrific brew. A friend turned me on to it down here in South Florida, I'm so glad that he did. It has great flavor, color, and texture. And it's great to see it being sold in more nearby locations to my house - including my local 7-Eleven. Awesome! It will always be offered in my home when guests come over!

Monk In The Trunk from Inlet Brewing Co.