Certified Organic Porter - Eel River Brewing Co.

Certified Organic PorterCertified Organic Porter

good

Eel River Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Reidrover on 07-12-2003)

Rlombardi75, Mar 16, 2013

bcsbeer, Mar 04, 2013

Tiernan, Dec 31, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle poured into a regular pint glass.

This has all the flavors I expect form a porter... because it's a porter.

This is a really easy to drink beer. I don't think of Porter being session type beers, but this one almost seems like it could be. Nothing is overpowering anything else.

I think it's really good and I'm going to be looking to pick up a six pack of this soon.

Ford, Dec 26, 2012

FlyingKelly, Nov 29, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

Lightly chilled 22 oz. bomber into a 12 oz stemless tulip. No visible bottling date.

Look- Brown-ruby brown, transparent. Three fingers of loose head, dissipates after a minute or so.

Smell- Nougaty, intensely malty, sweet. Smells like malta or similar.

Taste- What do you know, it tastes like malta as well. Not as sweet as expected, maple, toasty, nutty, cola-like. Mild hop bitterness, leafy character comes out towards the end. Light roasty finish, almost charred, aftertaste is mineral but subtle.

Mouthfeel- Prickly carbonation despite a vigorous pour, still comes off as fairly smooth. Body average for the style.

Overall- Well executed but nothing special. I could take it or leave it.

Lawl3ss, Nov 21, 2012

kew, Aug 24, 2012

cdwil, Aug 18, 2012

zonker17, Aug 11, 2012
2.43/5  rDev -31.4%

I had this beer a few months ago… and I don't remember much about it. I had a long day today, and I am sore, so regardless what it tastes like, a beer is needed tonight. When I first tried this, I did know it was organic… but I didn't realize that Eel River was the first certified organic brewery in the United States. Learn something new every day. Now, let's drink.

In the Glass: For a porter, it's not as dark as I expected. It has a tan head, a light tan head, and a weak lace. Now that I think about it… I don't really know what makes a beer organic. Anyway, the beer doesn't look like a porter in the glass.

Nose: It smells like a porter! Man, that smells good. I am getting some dark chocolate notes, and am really digging the aroma. A second sniff, while it still smells like a porter, is changing a little bit in the nose. It is a complex aroma, and while not overpowering, it's nice and malty.

Flavor: The flavor is just OK. Actually, it's not even OK. It's pretty bad. It tastes like rusty copper. Imagine a dirty penny you find on the ground… put that in your mouth. That's what this beer tastes like. I am going to blame that on the fact it's organic… and while that might not have anything to do with it, I haven't had an organic beer that I like. The burp isn't much better. This beer smells a LOT better than it tastes.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is that of a typical porter… thin, and moving quickly across the palate. I just heard Sheryl say, "I kind of like it." Not sure why… because I can't dig anything but the aroma… and that's decent at best. I really don't want to dog a beer like this, especially coming from such a historic brewery.

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste. With a porter, I expect that smoky… somewhat chocolatey aftertaste, and why those chocolate notes stick around for a little while… they are quickly gone again.

Hey, it's cool that this is the first certified organic brewery in the United States. But this beer just doesn't do it for me. I have been getting into bigger more malty beers lately, and I expected this to impress me… it didn't. Oh well, they can't all be good!

Eel River Organic Porter - The bottle says: "NA"

rickyleepotts, Aug 10, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

a: did a hard 45 degree angle pour, got a decent 1.5 inches of dark brown head. the body of the beer is a dark cola color.

s: nice chocolate nose, and some decent malt, no yeast much hit me. about it.

Taste: slightly chalk, bitter after taste. the beer is ok, a tad more hoppy than i like. You get some dark malt and chocolate, maple like favors. it is ok beer.

m: light to medium body, after taste not to my likely. semi flat carbonation on some bottles:

O: well nothing to write home about, at 9 bucks a sixer, its a the high end of my price range. Nothing I would buy again for that price tbh. and certified organic means nothing to me. I brew beer all the time my all grain porter recipes and I can beat this beer in my sleep.

azorie, Aug 02, 2012

Shasty, Jul 30, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

gleemonger, Jun 22, 2012
Certified Organic Porter from Eel River Brewing Co.