Certified Organic Porter - Eel River Brewing Co.

Certified Organic PorterCertified Organic Porter

good

Eel River Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Reidrover on 07-12-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

08-11-2012 20:36:20 | More by zonker17
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.43/5  rDev -31.4%

I had this beer a few months ago… and I don't remember much about it. I had a long day today, and I am sore, so regardless what it tastes like, a beer is needed tonight. When I first tried this, I did know it was organic… but I didn't realize that Eel River was the first certified organic brewery in the United States. Learn something new every day. Now, let's drink.

In the Glass: For a porter, it's not as dark as I expected. It has a tan head, a light tan head, and a weak lace. Now that I think about it… I don't really know what makes a beer organic. Anyway, the beer doesn't look like a porter in the glass.

Nose: It smells like a porter! Man, that smells good. I am getting some dark chocolate notes, and am really digging the aroma. A second sniff, while it still smells like a porter, is changing a little bit in the nose. It is a complex aroma, and while not overpowering, it's nice and malty.

Flavor: The flavor is just OK. Actually, it's not even OK. It's pretty bad. It tastes like rusty copper. Imagine a dirty penny you find on the ground… put that in your mouth. That's what this beer tastes like. I am going to blame that on the fact it's organic… and while that might not have anything to do with it, I haven't had an organic beer that I like. The burp isn't much better. This beer smells a LOT better than it tastes.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is that of a typical porter… thin, and moving quickly across the palate. I just heard Sheryl say, "I kind of like it." Not sure why… because I can't dig anything but the aroma… and that's decent at best. I really don't want to dog a beer like this, especially coming from such a historic brewery.

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste. With a porter, I expect that smoky… somewhat chocolatey aftertaste, and why those chocolate notes stick around for a little while… they are quickly gone again.

Hey, it's cool that this is the first certified organic brewery in the United States. But this beer just doesn't do it for me. I have been getting into bigger more malty beers lately, and I expected this to impress me… it didn't. Oh well, they can't all be good!

Eel River Organic Porter - The bottle says: "NA"

08-10-2012 05:40:40 | More by rickyleepotts
azorie

3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

a: did a hard 45 degree angle pour, got a decent 1.5 inches of dark brown head. the body of the beer is a dark cola color.

s: nice chocolate nose, and some decent malt, no yeast much hit me. about it.

Taste: slightly chalk, bitter after taste. the beer is ok, a tad more hoppy than i like. You get some dark malt and chocolate, maple like favors. it is ok beer.

m: light to medium body, after taste not to my likely. semi flat carbonation on some bottles:

O: well nothing to write home about, at 9 bucks a sixer, its a the high end of my price range. Nothing I would buy again for that price tbh. and certified organic means nothing to me. I brew beer all the time my all grain porter recipes and I can beat this beer in my sleep.

08-02-2012 19:57:45 | More by azorie

West Virginia

3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap at the Eel River brewery

A - Nice dark black with a bit of ruby tint with a 2 finger ecru foamy head with good retention and moderate lacing.

S - Faint chocolate and roasted barley.

T - Weak start but big roasted barley, choc and espresso followed by a moderately bitter finish.

M - Medium body, moderate-low carbonation, smooth.

O - Not a bad effort, one of their better organics.

06-15-2012 16:30:06 | More by williamjbauer
fisherbray

06-14-2012 03:08:40 | More by fisherbray
sulldaddy

Connecticut

3.35/5  rDev -5.4%

Cellar temp bottle poured into a pint glass.
The beer pours a cola brown hue with fizzy tan head foaming up .5 cm and fading rapidly to a thin edge layer. There are some deep garnet tints on the glass when held up to the light.
Aroma is mild with some roasted malt and a bit of brown sugar. I dont get any hops or really too much of anything, a little disappointed with the nose.
First sip reveals an average to light body with fine and gentle carbonation that rolls across my palate. Texture is smooth and easy to drink.
Flavor dark roasted malt with some mild coffee and brown sugar. Again I dont get any hops nor alcohol hints on this beer. Pretty straightforward brew without too much umph on nose or flavor.
Decent and no flaws but wish it had a little more going for it.

05-20-2012 03:57:49 | More by sulldaddy

04-05-2012 21:09:45 | More by MarkyMOD
chinchill

South Carolina

4.05/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from undated 12oz bottle into snifter.

A: dark reddish mahogany with a short-lived and thin tan head that fades quickly to a small ring.

S: roasted malts with hints of chocolate, brown sugar, maple syrup, toffee and raisins. Very pleasant!

T: Richly flavored; qualitylargely follows the smell. The downside is that this is a tad sweeter than ideal. But it is well balanced by the finish.

M: good carbonation; light/medium body -- a bit lighter than ideal. Slightly dry and astringent finish.

O: A pleasant surprise, especially the great aroma. Recommended. After I figure out where I bought this, I'll be buying more.

04-02-2012 00:57:35 | More by chinchill

Oregon

03-20-2012 03:09:32 | More by shelby415
wilfonzo

03-14-2012 01:36:22 | More by wilfonzo
Certified Organic Porter from Eel River Brewing Co.