Raven's Eye Imperial Stout - Eel River Brewing Co.

Raven's Eye Imperial StoutRaven's Eye Imperial Stout

good

Eel River Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: beerguy101 on 08-12-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
katan

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -7%

22 oz bomber into a goblet - no date located

A - Pours a dark brown to almost black. Very light/little head retention or even creation for that matter. Light bubbling, appears to be on the lightly carbonated side.

S - Chocolate and toffee notes lead the way, a bit sweet. In the background is a very bready yeast scent - seems to be an overall malty nose.

T - Starts off with the light malt sweetness and the bready complement. Certainly like it smells. Builds some chocolate notes mid-stream along with bitterness. No hopping detected. Finishes with a bit of a harsh note, coffee like, biting and acidic. Aftertaste is of bittersweet chocolate. The alcohol is well hidden considering what it weighs in at.

M - Light in beer body - especially for the style. Carbonation makes up for it, but that isn't necessarily desirable. Leaves behind a sugar cling on the palette. Something harsh hits the back of my tongue on this one.

D - ABV will knock you around if aren't paying attention. Certainly a one and done beer. A bit filling from the carbonation notes.

11-26-2009 04:33:07 | More by katan
BabyRoh

3.08/5  rDev -17.6%

My first experience with Eel River. Not very impressed. This is the first RIS that I have ever been able to see through, and that's a full 16 oz. Tulip glass. The flavor is the best part of this beer, but there just isn't enough of it. The thin body makes me think that lack of adequate malt is the issue here. Either that or no flaked barley. My local beerstore has decided to carry numerous beers by Eel River, so I'm sure ill try another one, but I wouldn't buy this again.

11-18-2009 23:17:47 | More by BabyRoh
njmoons

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%

More interesting than anything and seemed more like a Porter to me.

Appearance: Dark black, with a nice dark head of foam. Looked tasty.

Smell: Had the traditional RIS aroma, heavy fruit, molasses, caramels. There was more hop aroma that I typically would expect.

Taste: The initial impression was that it was thin for RIS, then flavors of molassis and cherry/plum fruitiness with some unexpected smokey flavors as well. The finish is dominated with Washington State Hops (Cascades?) which are not my favorite, but under control here, so it did not ruin the beer for me. This seemed more a good Porter to me.

Mouthfeel was too thin for an RIS

Drinkability was about average. A good beer to enjoy slowly.

11-15-2009 14:17:17 | More by njmoons
WJVII

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a 1 1/2 pint bottle this brew has a dark molasses color with a overly thick head that settled from the bottom up. There is no lacing to speak of despite the high ABV. The nose is light and has some hints of chocolate and coffee. A mild nuttiness is present as well. The taste is a little thin for the style. There is noticeable alcohol in the taste. Coffee and roasted malt are in the finish of this brew. Not too impressed with this. I enjoy the style however this brew is not as complex as similar imperials I have tried. Not sure if the "organic" nature takes anything away. For the cost not worth it (at $6.99 a bottle).

11-14-2009 04:39:05 | More by WJVII
WYVYRN527

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not sure I can consider this an Imperial stout. The beer pours a very dark mahogany with some light shining through. The head is vigorous and thick, and lacing is minimal. The smell is decent. Dried fruits, some caramel and chocolate, and very malty. Taste is more that of an old ale than an imperial stout. Sweet, with hints of fig and rasin, with a bit of caramel and spice. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but still enough to coat the palate. Drinkability is there, but I am dissappointed in the brewery for calling this beer an imperial stout. It doesn't even come close to being a stout, in my opinion. I would have classified this an old ale, while Triple Exultation would have been considered an American Barleywine. It's a decent beer, but wrongly named.

11-12-2009 05:36:58 | More by WYVYRN527
theboozecruise

Louisiana

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

My first beer from Eel River... let's see how this goes.

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass... beautiful chocolate body with a creamy beige head... even overflowed a little. Hopefully the beer gods will forgive me!

The smell is a little muted, the malt and chocolate is there like you'd expect just not as strong as I'd like to smell. A little bit of raisin in there as well.

Not so on the palate. Chocolaty malt is what you get, followed by a tinge of bitter hops on the back of the tongue. I like it.

Feels great going down, the 9.5% abv is very well balanced with the flavors.

In my opinion, a very well done imperial stout.

10-30-2009 21:52:36 | More by theboozecruise
far333

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

Black with purple highlights and a head of light brown foam that rises to a full inch and slowly recedes down to a fine cap.

Aroma of raisin and port, some molasses.

Vinous flavor, some cherry tang, molasses and brown sugar. Moves to coffee and cocoa. Subtle notes of alcohol. Seems to be missing a roasty character.

Thin mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Average drinkability, needs some complexity and backbone.

10-19-2009 04:05:58 | More by far333
NorCalYeti

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

taste- chocolate malt, roasted coffee

color- deep, red-brown

clarity- opaque but pours clear

smell- chocolate malt

body- firm and lean

appearance- dark, clean, thin off-white head

overall impression- good, lean

notes- this is the first eel river beer i like. killer label, would have liked a creamier mouthfeel. would like more roast and heavier chocolate. this review is for a 2008 vintage tasted in 2008

glassware: pint

10-17-2009 23:07:30 | More by NorCalYeti
EgadBananas

Louisiana

2.8/5  rDev -25.1%

1 pint 6 oz bottle. Into the tulip.

A: Pours deep dark black with a little bit of crimson highlights. Dark tan head, not caramel colored like a typical good RIS... frowny face. Heads up nicely if its any consellation..

S: The smell is a little redeeming. It's got a nice creamy, smoky aroma. Hints of chocolate, very mild coffee or expresso notes, and roasted malts. Vague fruits if at all.

T: I don't find this to be a very good Imperial...it's more along the lines of an American Stout, a la Sierra Nevada Stout (though still not as good). Theres malts, a little chocolate. Very dissappointed in the lack of coffee notes upon taste. Smells smokier and more burnt than it tastes.

M: Probably the most dissapointing part of this beer is how thin it is. Though it is heavier than your average beer or even porter, this should be so much thicker and richer. Theres no chewyness at all really and the flavors don't burst out at you as you swill.

D: Some peaple might take the thinness of this and call it uber drinkable... it's just not the case. 1 of these is plenty, and only because of quality concerns.

Notes: Theres so many better offerings of this style. Obviously the "certified organic" tagging doesn't save this beer. And, being as most all good beer is made from natural, supposed not in-organic ingrediants, why isn't all beer organic? I think beer should be a given if you ask me, "certification" not required....

10-10-2009 01:09:17 | More by EgadBananas
maximum12

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

A bomber split with the wife that said kind wife bought for me for my birthday. Is there anything better than a wife that gets you a box of beer for your birthday AND your anniversary? Didn't think so.

Pours pitch black with no fizz to speak of, not even a cute little tan or white ring. Reeks of alcohol & black licorice.

Raven's Eye is dominated by the taste of black licorice, which I don't believe I've ever tasted in a brew before. Along for the ride is a hefty box of chocolate, gritty roasted dark grains, & a splash of espresso.

My only real complaint about this one is that it's extremely filling, after about two ounces I'm feeling the nooks & crannies in my tummy starting to fill up with dark stout goodness. Style-appropriate thickness that coats my tongue & mouth.

Very good beer. Not tasty enough to crack the upper echelon of imperial stouts, but an original take on the style & certainly quaffable.

10-10-2009 00:38:57 | More by maximum12
sweetbrew82

3.15/5  rDev -15.8%

22 oz. bottle into a snifter/ no freshness date

P: Extremely dark rosy-brown in the glass with crimson edges where the light easily penetrates through the liquid. The tan crown is barely 1 inch tall, even after a vigorous pour and is much looser & soapier in its appearance than I would expect from a RIS. It showed only average retention before sinking to a paper-thin halo while leaving only specks of lacing that didn't hang around very long. Looks very underwhelming for a RIS.

A: Roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate, coffee, caramel, dark fruits, citrusy notes, and some molasses. Smells much better than it looks, that's for sure.

T: Starts much more roasty upfront with flavors of bittersweet chocolate, black coffee, molasses, licorice, and some fig/plum type of dark fruit presence. Then, seems to become much more bitter on back end from slightly burnt malts, citric hop bitterness, a hint of charcoal, and a musty earthiness that leaves a nasty, astringent aftertaste. Upfront, the beer is okay. But the back half of the mouthful is too burnt, abrasive, and bitter for my personal preference. However, it does get better once it's warm. Still, not real impressed with this one.

M: Raven's Eye Imperial Stout features a mouthfeel that seems more fit for a porter than a Russian Imperial Stout. It's medium-full bodied and seems almost a tad watery in spots. Its got a moderate amount of carbonation that prickles the back of the tongue a bit with some slight creaminess that develops if you swirl it around in your mouth for long enough. But, it offers nothing in the way of silky smoothness or chewiness whatsoever.

Notes: Well, after being hesitant to try any of Eel River's offerings after being hugely disappointed with their Organic Porter, I was hoping that they could redeem themselves with this stab at a Russian Imperial Stout. Unfortunately, I was wrong. It's not horrible, but not great by any stretch of the imagination, either. Just like the Organic Porter, the flavor just isn't up to par and the mouthfeel is waaay off and needs to be beefed up considerably. Not recommended

09-25-2009 10:34:08 | More by sweetbrew82
DontTreadOnMike

2.88/5  rDev -23%

Appearance
Very dark, almost black, with reddish tones. Quite foamy if you’re not careful. Large cream colored head.

Aroma
Very sweet. Caramel and chocolate maltiness. Not very strong aroma but I can tell this is going to be big. Very malty, no hops detected at all.

Pallate
Velvet silkiness. Very smooth and thick but not sticky. No bite at all; I don’t know if that’s good or bad in most people’s eyes but for a thick Imperial Stout, that’s just the way I like it.

Taste
My first impressions went like this:
“Hmm. This is kind of boring. I’ll hold it in my mouth for a while to see what I can detect…….not a whole lot is changing.”

After I swallow….

“Wow! Excellent coffee after taste! Very good finish!”

After a few more sips my impressions mellowed out again. It’s not very complex. Apart from the surprise ending, there isn’t much to this brew at all. It’s very malty and that’s good but it didn’t change much. It’s not very strong, there’s almost no hint of alcohol or hop flavors; it’s just…sweet.

Overall
Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a BAD beer. Not at all. In fact I’ll probably buy it again. It’s very drinkable, especially for an Imperial Stout. But that’s sort of the problem, I could gulp this thing down if I wanted to. When I buy an IMPERIAL Stout I want it to make me wince a little bit. I want to have to sip it slowly and think about the way the complex flavors are changing in my mouth. This beer looks, smells, and feels excellent. But the flavor is just a little boring for an Imperial Stout. Like I said, I’ll definitely buy this again but it’s not going in my list of favorites.

08-27-2009 13:15:47 | More by DontTreadOnMike
BeardedBoffin

New Mexico

3.23/5  rDev -13.6%

The brown bomber states that Raven's Eye Imperial Stout is, apparently, certified organic.

The beer pours a dark chestnut brown with a big robust cap of ecru foam. Semisweet chocolate in the nose is kissed with some sweet dark fruit aromas. Surprisingly light on the palate, a little thin as it makes its way back.

The flavor starts out bland. Things pick up as it moves through the center with milk chocolate character and a bitter cocoa finish. Just a tad of booze is detectable right at the end.

This beer could use some complexity. The profile is thin and the flavor is weak, particularly upfront.

07-08-2009 00:02:54 | More by BeardedBoffin
thekevlarkid

Maryland

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

This was the last bottle from a birthday gift my (now-ex) girlfriend gave me in August of 2008. It wasn't the best bottle from that gift, but it meant the most to me when I finally drank it in March of 2009. Wherever you are Sarah, I love you, I miss you and thank you. Out of the bomber the brew was a dark brownish-black color with a tan head. The retention was decent as a thin skim and the lacing spotty but consistent. The aroma was full of chocolate with some dry cocoa, roasted malt, light coffee, alcohol heat and caramel malt. The flavors were again full of chocolate malt along with alcohol heat, raisins, dark fruit, molasses, roasted malt and a little coffee on the finish. The mouthfeel was a little oily but slightly above-average, the body full and the carbonation medium. Yum. And thank you again. For everything.

07-06-2009 16:56:02 | More by thekevlarkid
JamnesCameron

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Beer Hunter snifter.

Full, dark tan head that dissapates quickly. Opaque black. No light gets through.

Aromas of roasted malt, alcohol, figs, and plums/prunes.

Taste is much like the aroma. First impression is fruit (figs and plums), malt, alcohol, and carbonic acid. After taste is sweet malt and fruit, and....licorice on the finish.

On second sniff, licorice is present as well.

Biggest drawback on this beer is mouthfeel. It is a little thin. Not very coating. A little spritzy from the carbonation, more than I would like in an imperial stout.

Drinkability is good. I can imagine the fruit coming forwward with a year or more of cellaring, and the carbonation thinning a bit.

Good beer overall. Not sure that the Organic label means anything to me, personally. but would buy/drink again.

06-28-2009 01:21:30 | More by JamnesCameron
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.28/5  rDev +14.4%

I've had this bottle for a year or two, tonight she beckoned to me.
This one pours a solid black with a smallish tan head that dissipates quickly. Chocolate syrup, candied caramel, and a touch of alcohol dominate the aroma. Some rosted malts come through as she warms, but it is faint. Luscious and creamy mouthfeel bring out the milk chocolate very well in this one. It's almost like sipping on a thick chocolate milk. Slight alcohol midstream with a slightly roasty, dark dried fruit finish. Carbonation is low but ample, body is thick. I really enjoyed this one, its very tasty. I thought it lacked some roasted flavors that I usually associate with an Imp Stout, but I could enjoy this beer often if given the chance.

06-26-2009 00:09:35 | More by johnnnniee
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Pours a very, very dark, golden brown. One-finger head of loose brown foam. Recedes, rather quickly, to a nice, thin, surface covering. Lacing is in chunks and is somewhat slick.

The first scent to hit me is 'Dutch Style' chocolate milk. Very good milk chocolate sweetness. Lots of dark fruit presence behind that. Light traces of coffee and a very mild hint of booziness. Sweet milk caramels. Mild hints of brownie batter. Light touch of roastiness.

Roasted grains and sweet milk chocolate. A light touch of some not quite desired coffee bitterness. Some dried fruit notes. Mild hop presence.

Rather light and thin, for the style. Medium body with medium carbonation. Smooth, but practically no creaminess at all.
This one should be thicker and creamier.

At 9.5%ABV and around $8 for a bomber, I have to say that I don't think I'll be drinking too many of these, in the future.
Especially when their Triple Exultation sits right next to this on the shelf. That one is such a better product than this one.

06-02-2009 04:17:50 | More by coldmeat23
scruffwhor

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

One of the bottles I ordered through Shoppers Vineyard online.

Pours a light black liquid with brownie syrup highlights and a two finger, light brown head. The foam quickly recedes to nothing. The aroma is a heavy nesquick and brownie with a smooth coffee mixed in. The taste starts with smooth roasted malts, brownie milk chocolate, and some coffee. The middle is silky smoth and warm, while the finish bitters up a ittle bit and has a smokey note to it.

05-06-2009 06:09:49 | More by scruffwhor
thryn

3.45/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark reddish brown into the goblet but looks fairly black once it gets there. No head but a nice espresso-crema effect.

A lot of coffee in the nose. A bit of bitter chocolate. Some bourbony booze.

This is pretty damn tasty, but it's a bit hot. Starts out bitter and boozy. Prominent coffee flavor follows. A really nice chocolate aftertaste. If it was a little more balanced, it would get a 4. I wonder if it would smooth out bit with age. Still very tasty.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin. It's nicely sticky but needs a bit more heft.

Overall not bad at all, and I'll happily finish the bomber, but there are better RIS options out there.

04-16-2009 04:20:46 | More by thryn
CityBoy1986

Mississippi

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22 oz. bomber. I could not find a freshness date.

The pour is a deep, dark brown with ruddy undertones. Two fingers' tan head are gone quickly and leave little lacing.

The nose is roasted, chocolate, some dark fruits and a bit of alcohol. The taste is more of the same with some added grassy and earthy flavours. Overall, the taste reminds me of licorice. A mild bitterness is present throughout the sip.

The mouthfeel is a little thinner than I expected, but there is a nice amount of carbonation. Drinkability is good. The 9.5% alcohol is well hidden, but one can tell this is an alcoholic beverage.

Though there is room for improvement, this is a solid brew. However, I'd be more likely to buy this again if I found it in a four or six pack (which is a moot point in Miss. at the moment).

03-26-2009 01:30:37 | More by CityBoy1986
stemcell001

Connecticut

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured black from a bomber with a small tan head. The head dissipated at a reasonable rate and left very nice lacings down the glass. Smells of sweet caramel and dried fruits hit the nose before the first sip. I really thought the body on this one would have been bigger from the looks and smell. There still was plenty of roasted malt goodness up front with some licorice and dried fruits in the taste. It was strange how quickly those tastes vanished leaving a trace of alcohol bite in the back. I really like this imperial stout. It isn't my favorite, but I would have another just to change things up a bit.

03-21-2009 01:33:48 | More by stemcell001
shadow1961

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%

Eel River's Raven's Eye Imperial Stout pours a thin head over an opaque black brew. The steady stream of bubbles making a ring around the edge of the glass speaks to an active and steady carbonation. The nose is dark fruit, plums perhaps, and mocha. The flavor is slightly sweet roasty dark malts, with notes of dark fruit, bitter chocolate, and rum, balanced with a bit of herbal hops and a bright flash of alcohol. Mouthfeel is round and full- though the alcohol by volume comes in at 9.5%, at no time is it out of control- so take care- this one is a sipper! Pretty remarkable too, is that this brew, like everything out of Eel River, is certified 100% Organic- sourcing all the materials and maintaining quality must be a constant challenge. In the end it's worth it because this is a very nice stout!

03-19-2009 06:53:17 | More by shadow1961
mjl21

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

22 ounce bottle poured into a Chimay glass. No bottling info is given. Comes in at 9.5%.

A-Pours black with a 1/2 finger tan head that dissolves to a frothy, bubbly ring. The second pour yields nothing but a small ring.

S-Roasted malt, chocolate, raisins/prunes, and dried grass/hay.

T-Roasted malt upfront with some nice bittering at the end. Notes of chocolate and dried stone fruit.

M-Thinner for an Imperial. Has nice carbonation.

D-Very good. The 9.5% is nicely blended.

If someone gave this to me I would never guess it is an Imperial. The alcohol is not detectable and it does not have the chewy mouthfeel. Still it is a good organic beer, though not perfect for the style.

03-17-2009 16:33:55 | More by mjl21
AdmiralDiaz

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours a very dark brown almost black. Small brown head with poor retention.

S: Roasted malts with chocolate and a lot of sweetness.

T: Very mellow (for the style) Roasted malts with an almost fruity sweetness ending with a nice chocolate. Good hop balance overall.

Overall: Good smooth and well carbonated mouthfeel. Pretty drinkable for the style, but the sweetness would get old after a bit. First from the brewer and I really enjoyed it.

03-15-2009 06:00:28 | More by AdmiralDiaz
Richardberg

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

A: poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Liquid is dark but not quite black; lets a little light thru and has a noticeably ruby border. No head at all.

S: deeply toasted malts, sweet caramel, licorice

T: crisp ale taste quickly blooms into a rather unexpected chocolate flavor. Finishes slightly bitter with ample hopping. Hard to believe it's the same beer as the smell description :) Thoroughly pleasant style-buster.

M: quite thin for a stout, little carbonation to speak of. Flavors are strong but don't linger (aside from the alcohol burn).

D: alky is pretty well hidden considering the 10% ABV. But you don't get the overall bold presentation that usually rewards your trip into big imperial brews.

03-05-2009 04:34:00 | More by Richardberg
Raven's Eye Imperial Stout from Eel River Brewing Co.