Certified Organic I.P.A. - Eel River Brewing Co.

Certified Organic I.P.A.Certified Organic I.P.A.

poor

Eel River Brewing Co. visit their website

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: nekronos on 11-17-2008

According to the brewer, "This beer is an English Style IPA, which lacks the intense hop bitterness characterized by the American Style."
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Certified Organic I.P.A. Alström Bros
1.09/5  rDev -66.9%

pours a cloudy amber, decent head and retention

smells extremely sweet, but also stale or somewhat rotten. I almost don't know how to describe it.

The taste is equally as bad, sweet, thick and syrupy, no hop presence. I had to dump the glass after a few sips, it is near undrinkable

the mouthfeel is a very thick brew with a little carbonation

Overall a terrible beer, I will not try anything else by this brewery most likely

1.4/5  rDev -57.4%

this beer appears at fist to be a decent ipa. the color is a golden amber. as if it had a nice malt character to balance out the mass quantity of hops.

but its appearance is very misleading, this beer is very water with an oily finish. the overall taste is very sweet. hints of figs, berries and sugar are present. if this beer was announced as a American strong ale i could understand, but in no way is this even close to an ipa or even a pale ale.

overall im very regretful to buy this six-pack.

1.41/5  rDev -57.1%

Not an ipa, taste more like a lager

1.44/5  rDev -56.2%

Poured into a slender tulip it formed an easily managed white head that has good retention. Orange body with minimal support carbonation that is slow rolling.

First drink had me wondering why it was called an IPA. By todays general standard the hop level was very minimal, more towards the pale ale region and thats being generous. Oily as heck and this one will coat your palate for some time. There is a unrefined mash feel to this as its grating and doesn't mix well. Grainy hay type smell doesn't translate to the taste. Sweet malts play a factor towards the middle and there is a screwed up hop attempt about 3/4 of the way through only to finish up dirty.

Notes: A complete mess. This is one of those brews where I wonder how its released to the public.

1.75/5  rDev -46.8%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from 12 ounce bottle into a generic tulip. Purchased from total wine in charlotte last week (no bottle date) Copper/gold on color, small head with no retention to speak of. Aroma is a very off-putting rendition of rotting vegetables. For the first time in recent memory, i don't want to taste a beer. I really don't. But I shall. Taste is also really bad, kinda like liquid socks. The after taste is also poor. This beer doesnt taste like an English IPA or any other type of IPA.

1.89/5  rDev -42.6%

Poured 12 oz bottle into standard pint glass. Pours a hazy burnt orange that really glows. Little head and decent lacaing. Ok, this is an IPA? This brew reminds me of an English Brown Ale. I guess I'm used to American IPAs, this one's English. Tastes very malty w/ tones of carmel, toffee and chocolate. Feels pretty thin. The hops didn't shine for me although a biterness is present. Nonetheless, it drinks pretty well.

This isn't a bad "beer", but isn't a good "IPA".

1.97/5  rDev -40.1%

Rotten soap.
___

A: Clear, medium pumpkin body with a fleeting one finger off-white head.

S: Rotten soap. Odd, I know, but these are the words I feel best describe the aroma of the beer. It is putrid and soapy. Rubbing alcohol is there as well. There are some acceptable aromas in there like sugar and apricot, but all things considered, the aroma is quite off-putting.

T: Yikes. Better than the aroma, but those putrid soapy notes are still there, along with the apricot fruit and now some earthy, spicy hops and caramel malt. Metal is also apparent, and alcohol.

M: Who cares?

O: Foul.

2.02/5  rDev -38.6%

Pours a warm copper color. Crazy head - extremely fine bubbles, but way too much!

Strange aroma - hops are beyond subtle, and for an IPA, effectively non-existent. I'm also getting a faint soured-milk effect...

taste is an unsatisfying mix of astringency, and harsh alcohol. is it possible to over-accentuate alcohol? jeez, i almost can't believe it's 'only' 7.2%. pretty thin character, aftertaste doesn't help matters either.

not a drainpour, but there's a million better options out there.

served from 22oz bottle.

2.13/5  rDev -35.3%

A: Pours a cloudy copper color, with a finger of foamy white head that has pretty good retention and decent lacing.

S: Faint aroma; of caramel malts and a bit of berry sweetness. As this warms things gets stranger and stranger... this beer is so sweet it smells like pie.

T: Sweet caramel and berry flavors are once again evident here. I'm not sure where the berries are coming from, but I'm guessing not the hops as this beer isn't very bitter at all until its finish. Everything is a little too sweet for my tastes; in a blind testing I think IPA would have been a joky guess aimed at the style after five or six misses. Somewhat metallic finish too; drink this one cold!

M: Medium-bodied; moderate carbonation, which makes it just slightly creamy. Long metallic finish at about 50*F and up detracts here a bit.

D: My thoughts here can be summarized as "eh," the sweetness slowed down this glass and I won't be hounding after another at any point in the future. On the other hand, the alcohol is well hidden if this beer really is 7.20% ABV (bumping my grade up a little).

Despite my low scores, props need to go to Eel River for providing widely available, reasonably priced organic beers. I'm thinking that at the moment their priorities may be focused on making the beer organic rather than making it the best beer it could be, but it's great to have options like this on the market.

2.15/5  rDev -34.7%

This is the first organic IPA that I have tried, the alchohol content is high, I always thought these organic hippies would have less... The taste was strong and I could taste the higher content, did not like that very much.

do not think I will buy again, but I would try other organic beers, still trying to find that great northern Californian IPA.

2.19/5  rDev -33.4%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A very light tan head of large size and fairly uniform is made off the pour, with foamy bubbles, but also falls at a good pace. Body color is a cloudy orange amber, but very hazy, not much more to say about it. Looks ok.

Smell is weak, non existent, even a hint of cheese sort of like a mild soft stinky cheese. Something sort of vegetable like almost too. Nothing like an IPA at all. The first time I stuck my nose in this a giant WTF?! went racing through my head.

Wow, I didn't think an IPA could taste this awful. Sour. Light bodied, this is like bad homebrew or something. No hint of hop presence or even malt grain. Really there is nothing going on here but a sense of weak soda pop, and chalkyness. Strange lingering novocaine on the tongue as well after the pour.

If there was ever an idea of watered down flavorless IPA this has got to be it. Gives organic beer a bad name. Real bad. How and the heck can you release something this horrible tasting is beyond me.

2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

2.43/5  rDev -26.1%

A- orange golden color with white head about two fingers

S- Veggie and Hops together. not sure how else to decribe this one. not citrus or pine picked up

T- Bland for a IPA imo. some hops bit more dull fruit noted. citrus not happining for me

M- water and hops. bitter water. not much feel here.

O- Not impressed with this at all. first beer i had from eel river so i need to try others but this one is a big miss for me.

2.44/5  rDev -25.8%

color is a dark amber color like honey... almost reddish. Very little khaki colored head. rings around the glass over time.

Aroma was not much. You'd expect more from an IPA... the taste is nutty/piny... my wife thinks it smells like almond butter... I'll take her word for it.

Taste is also nutty... tastes more like a non-IPA, like an amber... reminds me of Fat Tire (which is overrated in my opinion)

Drinkability is there... it doesn't taste like the +7 abv beers we're used too.... but I like the taste of the +7 beers we're used to... give me more bitter in my IPA

MF - eh....

bought a whole case of eel river organic to share with wifey. We were not impressed with any of the offerings... some would say that organic beer doesn't deviate from the flavor... i'd beg to differ.. and I'd beg anyone out there, not to buy this case for me.

2.46/5  rDev -25.2%

First review here...

A - Poured into a pint glass, small white head that dissipated quickly. Amber in color, not completely clear. Looks pleasant, but the head was disappointing

S - Does not smell strongly of hops. I smell more malt and a little bit of caramel, and booze. Interesting, but not impressive or what I was expecting from an IPA

T - Does not really taste like it smells, which is odd. Slightly bitter at the front, and fades into more of a malty flavor as you swallow. I am not a massive fan, however, I really love hops in IPAs.

M - Flavor lingers on the sides of the tongue, slightly sweet and with alcohol.

D - I don't think I will be going back to this beer. For the price and organic label, I expected a fresh tasting IPA, and it missed the mark for me. I didn't hate it, but I feel like it's just not for me.

2.47/5  rDev -24.9%

Serving: from 12 ounce bottle, $1.29 at high-end grocer, into "beer clean" pint glass. Advertised prominently as "Certified Organic" and "brewed with the finest certified organic hops and barley."

Appearance: pours medium-light copper, retains good creamy white, medium dense head, leaves foam on glass walls. Perhaps its best attribute.

Smell: Limited to none, slight malty hints, with tiny hop hints. Nothing to excite me. As it warms, a nutty smell comes out.

Taste: is this really an IPA? Malty sweet, heavy caramel flavors, with minimal hints of hops, tastes sort of like a strongish amber, or a 70 shilling Scottish style ale. Few or no hops are in sight, smell, or taste here. It tastes like an average to middling brewpub's interpretation of a scottish ale, or a slightly strong amber, or an average pub ale. A vaguely tasty beer, sure, but decidedly not a good IPA, or really an IPA at all. As it warms to beyond cellar temp, a slightly bitter finish comes out, and a suggestion of chemicals (very slight solvent?)

Mouthfeel: is fairly full, thick, with creamy head the main feeling. Medium carbonation, limited retention of mouthfeel.

Overall drinkability: well, I'd drink it all if I bought a six pack, but thankfully, I didn't. I'm finishing the bottle, but mainly because I don't believe in wasting even somewhat decent beer. (Unlike BMC, which I'd wash my driveway with given sufficient quantity.) Ummm, a very ho-hum beer. Disappointing, too, since I think organic beers can be made to taste great. This was a half-hearted attempt at an IPA, first off, and also a lackluster offering in the organic market, which, sadly, isn't that broad to compete in.

2.5/5  rDev -24%

Certified Organic I.P.A. from Eel River Brewing Co.