Earth Thirst Double IPA - Eel River Brewing Co.

Earth Thirst Double IPAEarth Thirst Double IPA

good

Eel River Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: mcallister on 02-20-2011)
Reviews by iskeptopotamus:

iskeptopotamus, Mar 26, 2012

freshflesh, Mar 28, 2014

SmellsofMahagony, Apr 11, 2013

iemailjack, Jan 08, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -7%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle. The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the cotton candy, citrus and bread notes. I get a lot of sweetness in the aroma. The flavor is a mix of bitter pine and grass from the hops as well as some bready malt. I also get some floral notes and a tad bit of butter. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, May 20, 2011
2.18/5  rDev -38.6%

Decent orange color, almost 1" of larger bubbled head. Not much for retention or lacing, but I'm a sucker for orange colored ipas. Aroma, ugh, where's the hops man? Bleh, some very mild hop aroma I guess if you look for it, not exactly inspiring in a dipa when you have to search and search for some semblance of hop presence. Seriously, I smell more hops in some pilsners.

Taste, same thing, sure there's plenty of bitterness, but hop flavor and mouthfeel? Fuggetaboutit. If you only like the taste of copper and bitterness, this is the beer for you. I guess it didn't really come out strong with the alcohol, but who cares, it lacked what it should display most prominently. When its not in the nose or tongue, jeez, what are we doing here?

$8 down the drain (not really, I used it for corn on the grill).

Beerandraiderfan, Aug 03, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +26.2%

Pours a beautiful deep caramel amber bodied with a light tan head formin thick and billowing above the rim of my chalice, very nice look to it. Aroma has citrus layers of malts imbedded in it, with pine and caramelized malt sugars noted. Almost more of a barleywine when I smell it but after first taste I realize it is a barleywine light with less alcohol but much similar flavors. Caramelized malt sugars run across the palate with big citric and pine notes that bring out an earthy quality about this beer that is definitely enjoyable and admirable at the same time. Mouthfeel is resinous with hops and earthy (marijuana) like character a fine even keeled malt presence super sweet but balanced with hop bitterness. Enjoyable from beginning to end, the type of beer that I really enjoy especially when harvested from the West Coast.

WVbeergeek, Apr 22, 2012

emilylee, May 14, 2013

BSW, Nov 19, 2011

Nage37, Apr 29, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance. Pours a pretty clear, amber gold with a finger of sticky pale yellow head that leaves some decent lacing.

Smell. Caramel, a little toasted grains and pink grapefruit.

Taste. Nice toasty caramel grains and decent piney, grapefruity hops. Nice bitter citrus rind finish. Lighter in taste than some dipas, but not a negative. Really nice.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall. Really nice DIPA. Another random grab from a Seattle Whole Foods that turns out to be a winner.

Rutager, Jul 08, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type: 22 ounce bomber poured into a pint glass. No code date on it, not that I could find, so I am not sure how fresh the beer is.

Appearance: Pours an orange color with a nice creamy head. Lots of tiny bubbles, some lacing on the glass.

Smell: For a double IPA I was expecting more hop aroma, but again I am not sure when the beer was brewed and bottled, some piney citrusy notes, I think this is faint for a double IPA.

Taste: I was also expecting more from the taste but it is smooth, hop flavors up front, then some bitterness. The bitterness is not up to par for a double IPA. I have other double IPAs with some bitterness that is noticeable up front. Nice malt on the backend of the palate, I am getting more of piney or earthy flavor than citrus notes on the hops. I don't notice a heavy alcohol taste. Good taste.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation, creamy head, not a lot of oily or resiny hop feel, it's smooth.

Overall: Falls short of what I think a double IPA is but it's drinkable and I would purchase this in a six pack if it were available. I paid $6.99 for a 22 ounce bomber. It's good. I have had other double IPAs that are superior to this but this is not bad.

Catracho5, Apr 18, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance: (3.5)

- This is a rather dark amber brew. Light hue to a mostly clear brew from the bomber. Foamy thick inch of head settles to a very even thin blanket of ultra-light tan head, large spotty ring in the glass..

Smell: (4.0)

- This has a really nice smell to it. Caramel malt, husky grain, bready cinnamon dessert quality to it, while balanced with a pine, grassy, and floral hop arrangement. This smells super solid and balanced, and both the malt, and hop aromas are unique to their own.

Taste: (4.5)

- Great bready caramel malt and fine malt. This isn't as sweet as I was expecting. That is a good trait. The bitter grassy hop is just right to balance the malt forward kick. This double IPA has balance written all over it as far as flavor. Light alcohol, and still an oat-like cinnamon dessert flare which is so subtle.. but perfect. I must have got a good bottle.

Mouth Feel: (4.0)

- This is a well rounded, full bodied double IPA. Its bitterness lends a dry feel, with a cloying, and chewy finish. This is a bit of a meal in a glass. Great.

Overall: (4.0)

- This is another one of those brewers that I rarely visit a beer from. I see their bottles on the shelves often, and am afraid that when I return to those outlets, they are the same bottles. I got this one fresh and new, and really dig it. It is dangerously drinkable, and I bet is a killer treat on tap. Certainly worth the purchase.

Docer, Apr 14, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -2%

Bomber poured into Duvel tulip

Picked this up on whim at Whole Foods yesterday. It's my first experience with an organic brew.

Great color to this beer. A deep amber glow that is slightly see through. The head is almost non existent with just an off white crown that sticks around until the end.

Smell is very floral with hints of hops with a good swirl.

Taste is very piney with a very bitter, hoppy finish. Comes off a little tart. I wish there were more complexities to this beer. Not much to it. Pine and hops.

Extremely high carbonation level. Definitely the most carbonation in any DIPA that I've had. Very light feel to it and it goes down smooth. Highly drinkable.

My overall impression is a little underwhelmed. I'm all for simple beers but I feel this needs a little more added to it. I'm not sure if I'll search this one out again. Possibly a good beer to drink during a cookout. The 8.2% ABV is practically unnoticed.

DearthVader, Mar 28, 2011

Hopmodium, May 22, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +30.4%

I get this for $4.99 on 52nd street and Evanston here in Indianapolis. I love Earth Thirst 2IPA! Smell is soft malt, taste is a total hop bomb. dry, citrusy, herbal. A winner! I can't understand the mediocre reviews for this beer. It's not to be missed, as far as I'm concerned.

MarkBlackout, Dec 21, 2011

Quindar, Nov 02, 2013

Tyrawlings, Feb 16, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -12.7%

22 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Thanks for this extra Brian!

A- Pours a clear amber with a one finger head that dissipates fairly quickly. No sign of lacing.

S- Caramel and toffee malt. Some pine follow as well as faint citrus notes.

T- Lot's of pine followed by some grapefruit and lemon zest and a good amount of sweet malt. Finishes with a pretty boozy finish.

M- High carbonation, actually too high for a DIPA. It's slightly oily and not really a smooth and creamy mouthfeel you can find in some other DIPA's.

O- While certainly not a bad DIPA, it lacks the complexity and mouthfeel that I look for in the style.

Thanks again Brian!

iadler, May 14, 2011
2.94/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

22oz Bottle
A- Appearance is a murky golden copper. Finger head on a 16 oz pour.

S- For a double the smell is not as abundant as expected.

T- Taste is what is expected from a standard IPA. No surprises,

M- A bit thick on entry with a subtle punch, again not as expected with an IPA.

O- Expected a bit more from this beer, probably will not purchase again.

jbird8, Apr 13, 2013

Bazyx, Apr 06, 2014
3.11/5  rDev -12.4%

I love double IPAs... especially the ones that have a higher alcohol content, but are able to mask that with an almost whiskey-like smoothness. Unfortunately, the Earth First Double IPA doesn't bring the alcohol content typical of an Double IPA, and falters when compared to top IPAs.

The smell of this beer is amazing... floral, clean, crisp--almost perfect. The taste, though, is exceedingly sharp... almost hard to take. It's typical of what I've found in young breweries, where the focus is on producing a style without concern for producing the best of the style. I wouldn't consider it a Double IPA, and it's really an "ok" IPA--something that I would drink, but not seek out or order.

Richard-Carla, Feb 21, 2014

111213forlife, Oct 12, 2013

JohnK17, Nov 13, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

Smurf2055, Aug 08, 2013
Earth Thirst Double IPA from Eel River Brewing Co.