Isotope PU240 - Auburn Alehouse Brewery & Restaurant

Beer added by: Beerandraiderfan on 02-06-2010

to view more.
Ratings: 87 | Reviews: 19
3.75/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint, the beer is a slightly hazy, orange-copper coloring with a thin, big bubbled, lacy, off-white head. Aromas are very balanced, with a tropical fruit backbone supporting spicy hops characteristics, subtle resinous notes, evergreen, caramel, and moss. Smells tasty, with a heavy malt profile. Flavors are pepper spice and resinous forward, with a dank and sap-like overtone. Tropical fruit notes again in the backbone, with pineapple, mango, and grapefruit, as well as a solid ribbon of caramel. There is definitely a strong hand of malt in this to provide balance. The citrus notes of the hops character has a solid tart feel, as well as some of the acidic and sweet trends. This is a fun, tasty brew. The body is robust and smooth, almost heavy in mouth. Slightly acidic and citrus aftertaste, with some of the dank and grassy hops characteristics, as well. The finish is slick, smooth, and slightly drying, with a hint of that tartness, as well. Big beer. Tasty beer.

4.51/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Had this behemoth of a beer out of a bomber alongside a pulled pork omelette. Poured a clear redish-orange hue into my balloon snifter. While I thought the nose on this beer had a tinge of alcohol to it, this was nothing compared to the way it tasted. BOOZE explosion on my tongue. This was delicious though, don't get me wrong, served as a nice balance to the overwhelming citrus and pine... like drinking a well-made screwdriver in a a forest. Overall delicious, but for me this one is a sipper. I can't handle some of the overwhelming bitter flavors after a prolonged period, I would definitely consider sharing a bomber with three people. Packs a punch for an 8% beer.

4.19/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

poured from a 22oz. bomber into a Weyerbacher tulip glass (pre-SuperBowl readiness!)

A: This is a beautiful beer. A crystal-clear tawny color with a giant, foamy head that leaves soaped-up lacing throughout. Great head retention.

S: Enticing smells, far more on the classic side of things, with a great, slightly sweet biscuit scent standing out the most.

T/M: Love that this is dry-hopped with Simcoe & Columbus. A true west coast DIPA in flavor profile, think an up-front smattering of dry grapefruit, and then a massive blast of pine needles, and bludgeoning bitterness. Just balanced enough with lightly toasted bready malts, but make no mistake about it, this is a hop bomb. Perfect mouthfeel, absolutely quaffable.

O: At 100 IBUs, this is an old-school monster of a DIPA, and worthy of your modern-day tastebuds' consideration. The current BA rating (84) is ridiculous. Just wait until more people taste this. Wonderful beer!

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Glowy, opaque amber/orange with a white ring of head.

S: Tangerine, mango, orange in the nose.

T: Flavors are orange, grapefruit peel, tangerine, and mango with a touch of pine in the finish.

M: Medium bodied and more foamy than harsh with carbonation.

O: Delicious! I don't understand why this has such a low rating, but if their distribution grew, I would imagine that'd change.

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I bought this at Cecils' Boutique in South Lake Tahoe.

Appearance- clear copper color, thin head

Smell- citrus, piney hops

Taste- citrus, piney hops, bit of bitterness, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- This beer is very good. I have never seen this one before so I think I need to go back to Tahoe to get more or check out their alehouse because it was very good.

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Off the tap with a half finger of head on a medium straw colored body.
The aroma of lemon, grapefruit and mandarin. Wonderful.
The taste had a bold grapefruit bitterness with a mellow malt background.
The texture was crisp with moderate carbonation.
A wonderful DIPA that you cannot go wrong with.

3.99/5  rDev +6.1%

This is golden tan in color with thick foam that rapidly dissipates. I get a pleasing grapefruit nuance on the aroma with some orange marmalade hints. The bitterness hits upfront with a piney finish & feel, along with notes of grapefruit zest and a hint of the (relatively low) ABV. While it’s nothing to get excited about it’s certainly not deserving of some of the lower scores here. Though I wouldn’t pick this one over any number of stellar bay area DIPAs in a less crowded market it would stand out more. Overall a solid beer which i enjoyed.

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to drewone for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy bone colored head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, citrus zest, and alcohol. Taste is much the same with a medium hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that has a better smell than taste in my opinion.

2.92/5  rDev -22.3%

Bottled (?): 09AUG12 – dunno if the date is botled on or best by….

Pours cloudy amber with a solid sheet of light apricot foam. Gobs of lace. Smells of tangerines, orange, grapefruit, biscuit malts, some bits of crystal malts. Flavor is sweet with a rounded bitterness and flavors of sweet toast and good amounts of fruity hops. Overall a little more malty than I’d prefer. A little full bodied if you ask me, subdued carb and a semi dry finish. Drinkable, wouldn’t seet out, for me it’s a little too hi ABV to want to sacrifice my face to it.

4.73/5  rDev +25.8%

Had this at The Shack in Sacramento. On draft pour into a standard pint glass. Beautiful copper/amber color, small head. Drinks like a well balanced beer with a big hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: light, great for a summer beer .

Appearance: light and amber. Slighty cloudy.
Highly recommended!

3.41/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance - Pours a clear, brilliant copper orange with a thick 2 finger head, great retention, and a thick, sticky lacing.

Smell - Hop forward, citrus with tropical notes and a hint of pine.

Taste - A stupid amount of hop character, but very little malt backbone to fall behind. Greatly unbalanced. Lots of orange and grapefruit oil essence, and it lingers well into the aftertaste. The term 'hop bomb' has never felt more appropriate.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body. Despite the promising appearance, the carbonation is a tad low.

Overall - I like to take a nibble of grapefruit skin from time to time; I don't enjoy drinking it for 20 straight minutes. This one's got potential, but the lack of balance is it's downfall. It's like I can feel the acids eating away at my tongue, with no sweetness to soften the attack. What this beer fails to do, is what Lagunitas accomplished with Hop Stoopid; an insane amount of IBU's with the malt to back it up. This has a backbone, but it's no better than a 90 year old's - very little support.

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%

Total overload of hops. Besides the Summit and Galena hops, label claims it is dry hopped with Simcoe, Columbus, and Nugget. Nice looking with the amber, orange, and golden glow. Not so much for head or lacing, but it's enough carbonation to improve drinkability. A little malty sweetness, but not enough to balance the IBUs.

Has some nice flavors for a while but it boils down to the grapefruit pith and nothing else. However, it there are some good hops in here, so it would be totally appropriate to flavor some anemic Amber Ale or better yet, a couple quarts of Colt 45.

01/30/2013 update: The call this PU240 Imperial Ale now and list the ABV at 8.0%. Not as totally bitter as I remember, and very rich with flavors and lots of malt.

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a stone nonic.

I'm surprised by the low rating that this beer has. I honestly think it's superior to most DIPAs, though only slightly so. A good combination of fruity malt character and somewhat spicy hops. I find bottles from auburn alehouse to be a little hit or miss but this bottle I thought was quite good. Definitely, for a random local, this beer is worth trying and I suggest anyone who has access to it to pick it up and give it a fair review.

2.76/5  rDev -26.6%

On tap at Bobby G's. Pours a darkish golden amber with a small white head that has pretty good retention and leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is pine and dank hops, some caramel, and a bit of cracker. Not a ton going on. The taste follows the nose with pine and dank hops, caramel, and cracker. Taste is quite bitter throughout with a strong bitter lingering aftertaste. Not very pleasant. A bit of alcohol as well. Medium carbonation. Medium to full body. Overall not that enjoyable of a beer. I probably won't have it again. The bitterness definitely needs to be taken down a notch.

3.48/5  rDev -7.4%

taste- bitter, sour, hop flavors, bitter chocolate in the finish

color- straw

clarity- clear

smell- bitter, sour, hop flavors, sulfer

body- oily on the top of the mouth, lean

appearance- nice, white carbonation with good lace retention

overall impression- a little too malty and sour tasting for me

notes and comments- wouldn't seek this out again

beer spy- double ipa festival, bistro, hayward ca, 2/12/11, 6 oz. glass

3.4/5  rDev -9.6%

Brought back from a recent trip to California. No bottle dating means I have no idea how old this is. However I drank it shortly after buying.

Pours a nice golden color with tan head. Smells like a nice burst of hops with a bit of boozy hotness. Taste is real clean and I can taste hops but also way too much caramel flavor. No notice of the alcohol that was in the nose. Not enough hops to call it a DIPA in my opinion - and the malt is more noticeable in the taste. It's very drinkable but not the hop bomb I was hoping for.

3.1/5  rDev -17.6%

Ive had time in the past year to revisit this beer on cask/draft/bottles. I have to say it seems either the recipe or my palate has changed since I first tasted this and gave it an A.

A- Golden/burnt orange/ slight toffee color. Some hop haze, not real cloudy, but not super clear either. Carbonation is a hit and miss, In bottles in was too low, on draft it was fine. Decent...

S- I smell simcoe. Pine/Citrus. Smells like an IPA should, but nothing special or super aromatic like other DIPA's. Still smells very enjoyable though.

T/M- Good amount of bitterness, too much caramel malt, nice hop flavor. Kinda one dimensional compared to other DIPA's. Malt gets slightly muddled between hops, but not bad or overly sweet...

D- Very drinkable for 8%. I detect no alcohol or real off flavors.

All in all, this is a decent attempt for a DIPA. I swear the recipe changed since i first tried it a few years ago. Too much damn carmel/crystal malt. Malt becomes cloying. Seems to lack some real depth that some of my favorite DIPA's can deliver. I'd hate to compare this to other DIPA's so much, but what gets me is the price tag. $7 for a bomber at the brewery and ive seen it $10 at other beer stores. Are you kidding? I could pick up 2-3 hop stoopids or 2 green flash DIPA's for that price which are much more flavorful and aromatic. The bang for the buck is just not worth it comapred to other DIPA's on the market. It could be lost in the realm of beers Ive tried and have access to. Is it a good beer? Sure. Is it something I would seek out like other DIPA's or pay a pretty penny for? No. I usually enjoy it when im at the brewery once in awhile, it is AWESOME on cask. Really aromatic and bursting with hop flavor on cask. I'd pass on purchasing a bomber again though...

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

Well, since GreenKrusty101 pulled a real dick move and drank my Hop in the Dark (that I brought to share), I returned the favor and did the same to his PU240 bottle.

Appearance was the same great vibrant orange appearance with lots of clarity and great head, lacing retention. Aroma seemed off compared to the draft version, the Summit hops seemed a little muted.

Taste, again, what happened to the Summits? This is still a very good beer even if it is not on tap. But on tap, the Summits really had that nice fresh metallic feel to them (as opposed to the nasty kind, or all the onion taste many of you get from them). Still very hoppy, seemed to rely on the other strains though to get that out. The bottle still holds up its end in terms of massive hops and bitterness. Just a little more mainstream I guess.

3.23/5  rDev -14.1%

Draft, The Bistro, DIPA Festival. Well, I hate to be a wet blanket, but I didn't much like this one. There was a very odd off note, almost a playdough or rubber taste. Otherwise, it seemed like a decent DIPA. Fairly good and hoppy nose with a lasting bitter aftertaste. I hope that I didn't get a pour from a dirty pitcher or something, but everything seemed alright. I'll make sure to retry this beer if I get the chance.

to view more.