Midnight Star - Bull Falls Brewery

Wisconsin, United States

Schwarzbier |  ABV ?

Beer added by: brdc on 01-12-2009

3.49/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My brother sent a can of Midnight home with me and I shared it with my wife. We were not expecting to be impressed because we have fallen for IPAs and DIPAs in a big way the last few years. But, this was interesting to have had a chance to try and brought our attention to Bull Falls. We'll open to an IPA from Bull Falls because Midnight was tasty, some hints of chocolate...not what we were expecting it would be. Besides being a light in overall look and smell, this was OK. A lighter alternative to our IPAs. Nice to know about. (537 characters)

3.93/5  rDev n/a

Poured a dark appearance with slight carbonation and a good amount of head. Smell wise I could detect some malt and chocolate overtones. I could taste chocolate and malt as well but this beer was very smooth and drinkable. (222 characters)

3/5  rDev n/a

Pours a dark chestnut in color, very good (near-excellent) clarity. Topped with a nice tan head which lasts quite a while and leaves plenty of lacing.

Sweetish, malt driven nose with notes of toffee and light roast. Slight tanginess, a hint of sherry...

Smooth and light on the mouthfeel -"Porter-ish"- and seems to be very low in ABV, also.

Light roast character is nice, but a bit more assertiveness would be better. Flavors are light and the overall effect of this is "soft", almost as if it were a co-mingled (Nitro/CO2) beer. Very, very little bitterness, and I would prefer that it had more. As a Dunkel this would be "okay" as a Schwarzbier it is just a bit too light for me.

Very easy drinking, so high marks right there.

Ultimately I can see this selling quite well to those who might find the style (via traditional renditions -- mostly imports) to be a bit too bitter ala the old "Black Pils" nickname. So! I'll bump my score up to average, as this might indeed be a good gateway beer for the style -- and to older and more traditional lager styles in general. (1,087 characters)

4.1/5  rDev n/a

Bought a 4 pack of cans while visiting family in WI 40 minutes away from the brewery. Poured at a bit colder than room temp into a tulip pint glass.

Poured a very dark dark brown, with thin off-white head. Could smell the breadiness of the malt right away. A concentrated series of sniffs confirmed all bread on the nose.
Great malty flavor with just enough roast and noble hop character to keep it interesting. Quite clean and slightly dry, with a subtle roasty and malty finish that sticks around. No harsh roast or acrid burnt flavor, which is perfect.

A very easy drinking, clean and malty dark lager. I wish they would put the ABV on the can so I knew how dangerous it was. Since its profile was spot on to style, I imagine it is around 5%. Will be picking ore of this up next time I head north. (802 characters)

3.03/5  rDev n/a

Had this on tap while in Wausau, presumably quite fresh.

Poured into a pint glass, it shows a nearly pitch black appearance, thin dark tan head, little retention or lacing.
It was served a bit too cold, so no noticeable aroma to begin with, but even after warming, just some roasted malts, little hops.
Medium to thin on the palate, similar flavors with a tendency to chocolate, but lacks some depth, along with a little balancing hop bite.
Still does not appear on their website, so I am not sure how frequent this one will be out. (537 characters)

Midnight Star from Bull Falls Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.