Southampton Grand Cru - Southampton Publick House

New York, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-08-2003

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

2005 750 mL to start 2006. I bought this one at New Beer almost a year ago so it should be ready to go! That cork sure didn't want to come out. Grrr! Finally slid out with nary a *fwst!*

Pours into a Duvel tulip with a foggy copper peach hue loaded with plenty of suspended yeast particles, topped off with a settled wafer thin khaki craggy collar which leaves some drippy lace oozing down the glass.

Aroma is intriguing with a soft fresh bread dough meeting a light sour hint. The tart nose evokes a salivating Pavlov dog effect. An underlying floral bouquet and Earthiness peeks out.

First swigs: Ramped up with an assertive ripe fruit and chalky coriander. Complexity abounds with the cornicopia of spicy fruit. Cinamon peach middle with a creaminess added in. Maybe it's my imagination but a rich Belgian Candi sugar seems prevalent in the cider mix, especially when hitting middle temperature.

Feel is a touch warm, not hot. Medium bodied with a dextrinous chewy feel that lends more of a full bodied feel for the style. Impressive 9.5% ABV considering that the smoothness hides it completely.

Last swigs: This is peaches and cream in a glass. Caramel green apple. Simple as that, but a complex sipper. 75/4.23

Beer is good. Happy big Belgian style beering.

3.62/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle poured into tulip
Appearance:
Pours a hazy bronze forming a slightly off-white head; medium carbonation

Smell:
Fruity sweetness, apple, pear, and orange.

Taste:
Fruity tartness, almost like dry apple cider with more powerful alcohol backing it up. No hop flavor detected.

Mouthfeel: Heavier than I expected and for the style. Dry on the finish

Drinkability: Not more than a couple glasses in a sitting. Alcohol and sweetness/tartness holds you back.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

2005 Bottle Vintage, Sampled December 2005
Pours a hazy orangish amber color and is topped by a frothy light tan colored head. The beer is well carbonated as well, and I would almost expect a bit more of a head at this level of carbonation. The aroma has a woody component to it (remnants of the cork), as well as a slight acidity, notes of pear and tart apple. The aroma is quite earthy as well, with hints of musty clay, perhaps a bit of a musty note, and an underlying spiciness that I would describe as earthy as well. As my notes gets used to the aroma a sweetness begins to pick up a bit; it mostly accentuates the fruitiness a bit more, but highlights a bit of maltiness. The alcohol in the finish starts to become noticeable as well, with a bit of hotness to it as well, though only a hint.

The beer has a soft, almost creamy mouthfeel to it. I like how this beer is quite life and quaffable, though watch out as the alcohol will definitely sneak up on you, despite the other flavor notes. The beer is quite a bit sweeter than I was expecting from the aroma, but is quite inline with what I was expecting before trying this beer. The sweetness really accentuates the fruit character; notes of sweet plums are prominent, but I also get notes of raisins, pear, and Macintosh. The finish is spicy with an earthy note as well as a lightly astringent spice note, which provides some bitter balance to the upfront fruity sweetness.

I am not quite too sure what I was expecting from this beer, but it is quite a nice end to an Christmas day of overeating and stuffing myself. This beer has a certain richness to it (in both the sweetness and the earthy spiciness) that is quite nice and fulfilling. There is a hint of tartness to this beer, and if there is one complaint it is that this beer could use a bit more tartness; the level provided by some aged Fantome's would be classic. This beer is quite enjoyable, though I was perhaps expecting a bit more complexity and depth here.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours an amber color with a medium head that has nice retention and leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma has a lot of citrus with some hints of sourness - interesting. The flavor has a lot of tartness as well as a lot of citrus with some hints of the alcohol. There also some spices in there. The mouthfeel is moderate and the drinkability is moderate as well. The tartness detracts in my opinion.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance:
Pours small head; low carbonation; yeast sediment; tawny color; cloudy

Smell:
No hop notes; apple/cidery notes; a little cardboardy (oxidized perhaps), very sweet and malty, caramely.

Taste:
Appley; cidery; warm alcohol sensation upon swallowing; very sweet and malty; plum; rasiny; reminds of a cross between a dubbel and a triple, oxidized. I think this bottle has been around for awhile.

Mouthfeel:
Very sticky mouthfeel. The texture is on the thicker side. There is no effervesence or hint of carbonation. In fact, when the cork was popped there was no "popping" sound. In addition to leaving the palate sticky, it leaves the palate moist with a slight dryness in the back of the mouth.

Drinkability:
Drinkable, but not a session beer by any means. Like most Southampthon beers it has a very different and unique taste. At 9.5% abv it is tough to have more then 2 of these.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

Believe this is the 2004 vintage. Pours a deep coppery color with a light patchy head. Nose is very interesting. I get big notes of orange and lemon. Lots of orange and vanilla notes. As it warms, it gets a lot better in my opinion. I would guess it to be sweet Very light puff of alcohol as well. Flavor is very nice and tart. Big blast of lemon with a thick sugary sweetness behind it. Again...no hint of the alcohol. Nice and thick beer here. Almost syrupy. No real carbonation on this one. Overall, this is a highly drinkable beer. Enjoyable brew. Very happy to have tried it.

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle, 2005 vintage. Hazy golden brown with a large creamy white head. Grapes, yeast, and tartness on the nose. Flavor is a bit tart, with apricots, banana, some cookie, and vanilla. Spices become evident as fruitiness gives over to a some coriander, white pepper, and orange zest. Full bodied with a spicy/sweet finish. Awesome brew.

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Cork and Caged bottle that came to me as part of a fantastic trade with Twilight. After the cork comes out with a little persuasion, this beer pours a hazy brown/prange color, head is very small, but good retention. The smell only reflects what the flavor confirms, that this beer needs age. The orange peel and spice give this beer a (although not unpleasent) sour orange juice flavor. Alcohol is very noticable, goes well with the spices. This beer is still to fresh for me, I think a year or two and it would be sublime.

2.6/5  rDev -38.4%

2005 vintage poured into a goblet at the proper temperature.
This is rather like the tripels that I've had that I have not liked very much.
A not-so-pale pale ale that pours with a nice head and leaves good lacing. Smells potent and interesting... cider like is what comes to mind.
The taste... reminds me of Southampton's Cuvee des Fleurs... but even more unbalanced.
Tastes way too much like apple juice or apple cider. Much too sweet for my taste and I feel much too sweet for the style. Slightly syrupy and cloying in the taste and mouthfeel. The alcohol is at least well used and well concealed.
However
I did not want a second glass of this.

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh yeah kid!! Got my hands on a bottle of the 2004 vintage! This is way superior to the 2005 in my opinion. I've had the '05 on-tap and in the bottle and both were a little too sweet and tangy. The '04 is much better. It’s more mellow so that you can take more note of the full complexity of this beer. There is no overpowering sweetness covering things up.

This beer really begins to show its complexity after about half way through the bottle. Big-time coriander, pear and sour apple. Orange essence hits the sinuses after the sip. I'm also tasting brown sugar and molasses. As I drink more, the brown sugar becomes even more noticeable. Subtle pepper throughout and strapping citrus in the end really prove why this beer sits high on the list of top beers in the world. The flavor is lip smacking strong yet pleasant, and there is much more balance here compared with the '05.

If you can get your hands on the '04, go for it. Not sure it's better because it has mellowed out with age, or because it's simply just a better vintage... we'll just have to wait and see as I have four bottles of the '05 sitting in the cellar.
Get some MF!

4.49/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a hazy copper color with a nice, creamy off white head.

Sweet floral and spicy aromas. Pale malt, orange, tropical fruit, spice and lightly tart Belgian yeast.

Rich and fruity tastes. Sweet and tangy. Really intense, concentrated flavors.Bready malt, ripe tropical fruit, sweet/bitter orange zest and lemony yeast. Finishes dry with the coriander making a big appearance at the end. Mild bitterness coming from the alcohol which is definitly there, although integrated well. A smidge on the sweet side.

A little heavier bodied for the style with a rich, round and slightly chewy mouthfeel. Excellent carbonation level.

Great beer. Deeply flavored and rich with the sweetness and coriander almost being a bit too much for my taste.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

App: Pumpkin orange. A bit light with basically no head at all.

Smell: Nice and yeasty and phenolic. Alohol present. Citrus there but seemed a bit "deeper" to me than most other beligians.

Taste: Weird was my first thought. There definitely citrus and coriander. Also some orange peel. Salty taste at the end. Alcohol lurks in the background throughout but becomes pronounced on finish and leaves a sting. Very sweet on finish as well. Very "winey".

Mouthfeel: It's smooth but also light, and basically no carbonation which is a bit frustrating.

Drink: fine, but downgraded by sweetness. It gets on your nerves after a while.

Overall: This beer is definitely good, but I don't know about grand cru. I'm also kind of mystified at the ratings it has gotten. I was expecting much more. The fact that it is so sweet, combined with a light body with no carbonation is kind of aggravating. It's good, and gets better as it warms, but still. I thought Stonecrusher's review was perfect when he said that this is definitely a complex beer with a bunch of flavor, but none of them really all that delicous. This seemed similar to the unibroue 10 to me but I felt the unibroue was better.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Big ups to OldSock for procuring this.

Ah, the Grand Cru- I’ve been in the waiting for time and a half on this one. Green bottle, 25.4 ounces, corked & caged. 2005 vintage. After having some unexpected cork fiasco-ness, pouring revealed a light burgundy, maybe with an orangey hue? Disappointingly ‘lackluster’ head. Oh well.

I don’t rate smell because I’m a congenital anosmiac.

As for taste: Wow. Fantastic. Sweet, and fruity: orange peel, coriander, and look! Spiciness! I’m impressed. Like a sweet lambic, with a character not much unlike that of a saison. This beer clearly showcases distinction over balance. On a more uselessly comparative note, my first sip of Hennepin was bliss; my first sip of this reminded me _strikingly_ of that moment. I am wowed.

The mouthfeel is thin, and the carbonation is light to moderate. I would argue that the distinctness of the fruity elements and the lingering spiciness offset the thin mouthfeel, leading to only moderately drinkability. Each sip is packed with flavor, so although one could certainly down this as you would your run-of-the-mill pale ale, there’s certainly no good reason not to sip this as you would any big beer. The spiciness triumphs over the alcohol, masking it spectacularly, but also showcasing the warmth of its background presence. Don’t listen to OldSock. He’s crazy.

4.07/5  rDev -3.6%

Presentation and Appearance – Shared with Jaymirage. 2005 vintage in a green (someone must make brown champagne bottles) 25.4 oz corked and caged bottle. The cork took about five minutes of tugging and twisting to remove. Deep reddish-golden, particle filled beer with a lackluster white head.

Smell – Lots of coriander , yeast and alcohol. There is also an earthy, woody undertone. It has a really potent aroma, full of complexities.

Taste – Good flavor, a mix of coriander, yeast, fresh fruits, and earthiness. A bit too sweet for my taste, sweet and tangy apple is the main flavor. There are bits of alcohol around the edges, but it is well hidden. The flavors simply do not balance well, I can taste many distinct flavors but they do not meld together well. The flavor is complex, but just not assembled as well as it should be.

Mouthfeel – Thin mouthfeel, smooth with only a slight carbonation.

Drinkability and Notes – Big and complex, but still relatively easy to drink. This is one of the best American made Belgian style ales, but cannot compare to the many fine strong pales ales made in Belgium or many of the offerings from Unibroue. This vintage, in my eyes, does not deserve the status that this beer has received.

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Opaque, tangerine colored with a good steady froth on top.

Smell: I knew this was going to be a complex brew from the nose it sported, a sweet and sour combo that reminded me of balsamic vinegar and hoisin sauce, a combination I never thought of creating in my kitchen but that I will definately give a try now!

Taste: Starts off very candi sugar sweet, then it gets even sweeter somehow, than a bit salty and almost peaty, a splash of funk gets into the mix, alcohol not noticeable in the mouthfeel but definately feels warm and fuzzy in my gullet. It blew me away.

4.74/5  rDev +12.3%

Getting this cork out was no mean feat. I had to take two separate breaks to catch my breath before finally getting it out.

2005 edition
Pours out a deep coppery orange with a medium-sized head of foamy, quickly-bursting bubbles before giving way to little retained head but some nice lacing.

Smell is fruity orange, pineapple, mango, alcohol, yeast, and a bit of sourness. Lovely!

Taste is explosive with the same fruits, but also a strong underlying spiciness that really keeps it from becoming too fruity. Finish is all fruity hops and alcohol, but its perfectly-medium body complements it nicely. There is a nice maltiness throughout, but it never becomes too sweet or over the top. The flavor is in such perfect balance that it feels like any adjustment in any direction would completely destroy the flavor.

Drinkability is downright lethally good at this ABV.

Overall: Wow. This is my first "real" Southampton brew outside of the contract-brewed new bombers, and it's easy to see what the hype is all about. This is just an incredible beer that hits on every level. Damn near perfect.

4.78/5  rDev +13.3%

It's like there's a party in my mouth, and everyone's invited. It had more of a fruity smell than I'd prefer, but the taste and subsequent intoxication more than made up for it. This is the first Belgian Strong Pale Ale I've had, but you know for damn sure it wont be the last. I drank it while watching the Kentucky Derby, I figure if I'm watching the sport of kings I might as well drink like one and the Southampton Grand Cru delivered.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A cloudy dark amber/copper beer. With no head. Appearance reminded me of hand pressed apple cider. The aroma was sweet with honey and fruit notes. Also there was a spicey hop presence. All this with an inviting alcohol background. There was a honey like mouthfeel. The flavor a fruit sweetness with an orange peel character. The finish had a nice spicey hop flavor with a nice "warm in the tummmy" alcohol goodby.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

2005 vintage. what an epic struggle i had with this cork. had to take a break before drinking, my forearm/wrist became tight and swollen. an omen?

appearance: rich orange color with absolute lack of carbonation. bubbly belgian head which leaves a thin but very sticky lace on my chalice.

aroma: smells good. not too strong. dark fruits, raisins. horsey horse and tart yeasty notes. slightly tinged with metal, but not offensive.

taste: saisoney with an overwhelming fruit sweetness almost like a christmas beer with its clove aftertaste but light in the body. citrus and fruits come out after multiple sips once the sweetness subsides. abv is missing but a warming in my belly reminds me its there.

reminds me very much of rocs grand cru. very much. more drinkable though.

mouthfeel: light and smooth. acidic mouthfeel in my cheeks. cool.

overall excellent for an american brewery

4.56/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours an attractive peach in color, mostly clear at the beginning but hazy as the yeast inevitably makes its way into the glass. The head starts of thinnish and bubbly, but settles into a remarkably consistent, creamy off-white thin top.

The aroma is delicate, lightly spicy with hints of juicy orange and floral notes.

The flavor as well starts off juicy and fruity. What malt there is in the beginning has a slightly toasty character, but quickly blends into a peppery spiciness, and a rather acidic, lemony finish. As the beer warms, the malts become more assertive, and the beer develops an almost toffee-like aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is creamy and slightly coating, with a moderately dry finish.

Yum, yum, yum. I could drink this all night, but I have a feeling I'd have a very rough morning if I did. This beer is way too smooth for its potency. This is the first Southampton brew I've had, and I'm definitely impressed so far.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Review is from notes taken on 1/29/05, 750ml bottle marked 2004.

This poured into the goblet a dark cloudy orange with a decent sized fluffy white head forming on top. Minimal lacing was left around the glass as the head died down. Aroma is full of fruity esters with notes of apples and pears over a variety of spices. A touch of sweetness and yeast round out the smell, which is great. Flavor starts off with fruity apples with a backing of spiciness, some coriander and orange peel I believe. Notes of other fruits are present. It’s a bit sweet and tart but never too much of either. The fruit and spice carry the flavor nicely. Body is medium effervescent, crisp and refreshing. I can hardly believe this is 9.5 this drinks like a much lighter beer and is so damn enjoyable. I would love to get my hands on some that is fresher to see the difference. I believe this bottle was nearing a year old. Thanks goes to Steve for the hook up.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

I close my eyes and I am in Belgium. This beer is that good. Pours a hazy honeyish orange with a small head but a layer of lacing across the top. Decent lacing around the glass but a little on the flat side. Smell is delicate with a citrus spice note and a sweet pale malt scent. There might be a little alcohol in there as well. Taste begins with the spices, immediately I notice the coriander and what seems to be sweet orange peel. Malts come in with a pale somewhat drier flavor. A breadiness takes over along with the yeast and holds its grip against the spices which are now complementing the beer. Floral aspects wavor in and out. There's an acidity towards the finish but its underneath the depth of flavors and nevers hit my tongue in a strong way. Finish lingers and is a bit dry with some yeast notes, although I didn't see any yeast in my glass while drinking this and I poured a bit strong. The coriander also remakes an appearance in the finish. This beer is really smooth and has a medium thickness but a great depth of flavors. Reminds me a lot of Unibroue 11 which is definitely a good thing. As for drinkability, I could probably drink 3 liters of this and still want more. I am really impressed!

Super many thanks and good wishes for an amazing Christmas time trade from FeloniusPhil for this beer!!!

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured a hazy yellow orange color with a medium sized off white head, and light lacing on the glass. Aroma of sweet orange, citrus, and musty yeast. Taste was very nice, spicy vanilla oak, sweet caramel, lots of citrus fruits, yeast, and just a hint of alcohol.

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

Presentation: I managed to pick up this bottle earlier this year during my first trip to New York, in fact during the first of five trips to New York this year, but more specifically on Friday 27th May during a trip to New Beer Distributors with the Evil One. Due to the number of bottles I purchased, Davo mailed on my brews, this was one of the last to arrive back in Long Beach. A 750ml (I Pint 9.4 fl.oz) flat bottomed aqua-green glass bottle. Cork and wire caged with a 2004 dated metal cap. One main label, a yellowy-orange background affair with black text, simple yet impressive. “Southampton – Belgian-Style Grand Cru Strong Ale (ale brewed with spices)”. Listed at O.G. = 22.5 P, 9.5% abv.

Appearance: Streamers slowly punctuate the gorgeously crisp and clear orange marmalade body that casts a sunset amber-golden glow onto my desk when backlit from above. The head is awesome, incredibly smooth, a creamy natured head so often only found in higher caliber Belgian brews. Supreme ½” thick off-white snow cap covers the golden brew. The head rescinds to a slick but uniform 1/8” collar which leaves some attractive sheet lacing. Talcum smooth conditioning supports this brew throughout. I decided to utilize my Westvleteren Goblet for this SPH brew, a mighty gesture indeed for my Westie Goblet is rarely considered let alone used for anything but the best, yet in this case, this is indeed a worthy Chalice. Excellent presentation, a straight 5, hands down.

Nose: Light spicy hints, sharp dried orange peel mixes with a very feint yet defined coriander which mingles with a fruity Belgian yeast odor. You know what, as it warms I get aniseed and liquorice.

Taste: Strong Spanish orange and spicy coriander melt into a spicy yeast laden Belgique Strong Pale Ale backbone. Add to this a doughy like bread feel in the center that gains strength from some malty sharpness with a full-bodied Candi sugar ending, that in turns benefits from a lingering liquorice and anise tingle. Dark fruity finish whisks with a fast freeway Strong Pale Ale twist.

Mouthfeel: A majestic aristocratic beauty that benefits from exceptional breeding, yet it retains a down-to-Earth silky smooth body that has a humble working class attraction. This has an incredible body.

Drinkability: 9.5% abv...are you kidding me!??! Shurely shum mishtake…hic…

Overall: Was it really 7 months ago that I picked this up? Did it really only cost me $8.95?? I actually got chance to visit the Southampton Publick House on Sunday 5th September a couple of months before this bottle turned up. There is no way on Earth that I would have had the patience or self-control to ever cellar any Southampton brews…..so thanks to Davo for doing that for me!!! Cheer Evil One!

Supremely Impressive and Highly Recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +9%

Originally I rated this with perfect 5s on 7/31/04. Here was my comment:

"A nice tall, hissing, spun sugar top forms over the hazy brass-colored liquid. The muscular, alcoholic aromas suggest orange peels, maraschino cherries, white pepper, buttery, wholemeal biscuits, and creme brulee. On the palate it tags all the bases. Creamy and thick, yet melting in cascades of vanilla, melon, mango and piecrust. The mass stalls once, pauses at mid-palate, then resolves in a gorgeous display of nobility: the bitterness of poppies, the fragrance of sweet basil, the solid, spicy, earthy resonance of birch root."
"I mean my god. This is an awesome beer."

A second bottle, acquired from Buffalo (the first was from Poughkeepsie), was completely different. A raging sourness obscured the sublte, creamy richness and made it a much slower drink of only academic interest. I've changed the "taste" score to reflect the combined experiences.

Southampton Grand Cru from Southampton Publick House