1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Yorkshire Pub Ale - Southampton Publick House

Yorkshire Pub Ale
No picture uploaded.

Southampton Publick House visit their website
New York, United States

English Bitter |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: twilight on 02-14-2004)
Reviews by bonbright7:
4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

I was touted on to this by my friend Donavan at the Ale Fest this afternoon, which was hosted by the Blue Point Brewery in Patchogue, NY. I had just finished the Cuvee Des Fleurs, when I was served this malty brown ale that looked stunning in my glass.

After a couple of salutes to the others present, I was blown away by how good this was. I could literally pick out each part of this ale's creation without having to read the facts sheet. Dark malts and sparkling hops.

There were many good ales at this Festival, but this was my favorite by a nose ahead of the previously mentioned Cuvee. I could easily drink this all night and maybe pour a little over my corn flakes in the morning.

bonbright7, Jan 28, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +8%

3-day old cask at Mugs, Brooklyn, NY in a nonick pint.

Perhaps I'm just biased, but this was one of the loveliest pints I'd ever seen. 1cm head that stuck while my friend was getting his drink order. Beautiful long lacing all around the glass. The taste was of a subtle, but not overwhelming bitterness. Other than that, it had a smooth, plain taste. Mouthfeel was- oh, god, do I dare describe it- rich and creamy. I kept taking huge gulps of this. So very drinkable. I wanted to order another, and another, but I also wanted to try other beers. If this is typical of cask-kegs, the creaminess and conditioning, then it's all I want to drink for the rest of my life.

twilight, Feb 14, 2004
2.75/5  rDev -30.9%

Back on tap at the Southampton Publick House as of 11/26/10.

A few of the reviews said this was a nitro-tap. I had it brought to the table and didn't know to ask at the time, but given the incredible head retention and relatively flat body I would bet it was.

A - Orangey honey. Thick creamy head with ridiculous retention

S - Mellow, soft. Faintly sweet but mostly absent.

T - Unfortunately the taste mirrors the smell; it's soft and conservative but mostly absent. What is there is mild malt and a touch of hop.

M - The head gives it a great creaminess, but t the expense of any and all carbonation in the body. The net result is slightly watery.

D - Very drinkable, but I wish there was a touch of effervescence to keep your mouth interested.

O - Need just a touch more of everything and it'd be great.

vfgccp, Nov 26, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

Cask pours at Eli Cannons in Middletown, CT.
Slightly hazy orange, topped with a creamy white head that won't quit. Sheeting lace down the glass. Smells of creamy, toasty malt and punchy floral english hops. Pretty clean, with a hint of pear fruitiness. The flavor follows suit, with a deep, solid malt backbone consisting of toasty, slightly biscuity english malt. Very velvety in texture, just pure joy to sip. Flavorful, but easy going. 110% session ale. Nice hop prominence in the finish. Balanced bitterness, but good floral hop flavor. Lots of goldings character. Body is on the fuller side of medium, not exactly thin and light like you expect from an ordinary bitter.
This beer was simply listed as "Yorkshire Pub Ale *cask*" on the chalkboard. Up until I wrote this review, I had no idea what brewery it was from, and i would have sworn up and down it was a cask from England. Phil Markowski can make damn good, authentic as all get out beer. Better than that Riggwelter Yorkshire ale we get imported into the states.

UnionMade, Feb 24, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A lovely "pub style ale" from the fine folks at Southampton. The appearance is lovely, as this brew was served on nitro when I last sampled it. It is a dark golden brew, that is clear, but almost cloudy looking with a nice nitro-head of off-white that stays with you until the last sip of beer is gone. Aromas are a bit subdued, but consist of grainy malts, biscuits, and slight citrus hops. The taste is grainy and malty up front with a sweet finish that leads into a slightly hoppy after-taste. Mouthfeel is creamy, nitro-goodness and drinkability is great as well. A winner from Phil and Co. But why the nitro? Serve this shit up on cask!

francisweizen, Jan 05, 2005
Yorkshire Pub Ale from Southampton Publick House
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.