Southampton Cuvee Des Fleurs - Southampton Publick House

Southampton Cuvee Des FleursSouthampton Cuvee Des Fleurs

Southampton Publick House visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.20% ABV

A Saison flavored with a blend of edible flowers including L. augustifolia, A. nobilis, C. officinalis, R. canina and H. lupulus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2004)

(Served in a chalice)
best by 4/26/15
A- This beer has a very slight hazy lemon yellow body that gets a bit more hazy with each pour. There is a several gentle strands of microbubbles trailing to the surface supporting a very thick creamy white head that sticks to the glass in sheets and last longer than the beer. It even holds a lip print on the first sip.

S- The full aroma of saison yeast character including brie rind takes on a perfumed aroma even during the pour. There is a floral aroma of camomile, roses and a touch of medicinal herbs underneath. The finish is a dry floral yeasty note with a touch of green hops. This beer is worth the sniff alone.

T- The soft herbal flavor has yeast characters in it and a slight bitter herb note in the finish. There is a wood and roses note to the hops and a soft floral cinnamon heat that comes through as the beer warms. The finish is crisp and dry.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a tight little scrubbing fizz that compliments the green notes in the finish and no alcohol heat noticed.

O- I was very said to see this bottle empty. This beer had perfect saison qualities, great yeast character, crisp dry body and good hops character. However, the complex flower characters remained light but still full and they really compliment the beer and make it a better beer. Everything was balanced and harmonious making this a very elegant beer.

rhoadsrage, Jun 24, 2011

kmwilson76, Dec 27, 2011

GRG1313, Dec 10, 2011

thebouch01, Nov 14, 2011

What a long champagne cork! Finally it ends in a curl of gunsmoke and a brief whiff of berry pie and peach pie. Hazy honey gold liquid is topped by a steamed-milk field of tan. The cells vary in size from a few microns to a millimeter. It looks like a galaxy forming out of yeast. Stamina can be observed in the steady, pillar-shaped migration of gas upward. More nose, more deeply inhaled, and I sense sharply doughy, yeasty impressions. And still, the pretty floral, fruit and pastry notes are dominant: ripe banana, nectarine, peach, butter, freshly milled spring wheat, vanilla, tangerine and whole clotted cream.
On the toungue it's velvety and bitter. The finish rises from the back palate, excited by the eruption of body-heated alcohol, to release an incense of bitter almonds, cakes, cinnamon, nutmeg, other astringent spices, tobacco, chalk and preserved fruits. This is an extraordinarily creamy, integrated sequence of flavors. The acidity is entirely in the background; it drives the subtle fruit, but leaves the structural duties to bitter botanical extracts.

What a privilege to drink this. Thanks to jenn...(etc.) for her generosity.

putnam, Dec 15, 2004
4.97/5  rDev +23.3%

To quote my wife, "Holy fuckballs!" Sampled and shared via 750 mL bottle brought back from my last trip to Poughkeepsie and Half Time

Appearance: Pours a hazy, bright golden straw color with a froathy, white head. The head was huge and even with careful pouring, quickly and near completely spilled over the top of the Duvel Tulip we were using to sample this masterpiece. The rambunctious head is the only detractor to this beer.

Smell: Wow! An amazingly complex marriage of flower, spice, and yeast aromas. Hints of marigold, euclyptus, white pepper (maybe grains of paradise), clover, heather, belgian yeast, straw, and farm house funk. The smell begged to be sampled and screamed to be paired with food.

Taste: Spicy, funky, slightly sweet. Heaven! As amazingly complex as any Saison, with slightly more pepper spice. The flowers give a level of complexity to the flavor that is hard to describe but wonderful to enjoy. A perfect pairing with a meal. After the inital sampling we enjoyed it with our dinner of Panseared chicken in a jalapeno, lime cream sauce with sauted squash along side bulgar wheat & wild rice. A good dinner, made wonderful by this amazing beer. The spice and lime seemed to marry with the yeast and flower flavors, it also really brought out the white pepper as that enhanced the flavor of the food.

Mouthfeel: Light, bubbly, eppervecent with a slight creaminess that finishes very clean, with hints of spice lingering on your tongue and begging for more.

Drinkability: If I had this locally I would drink it 3-4 times a week and this would be my food pairing beer. My wife and I split a 750 mL and the only reason it lasted as long as it did, was because we knew there was no more and we wanted to savor every drop. Simply amazing.

Loki, Jan 24, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +21.6%

A breathtakingly ponderous drink, this Cuvee des Fleurs pours to a butternut orange topped with a frothy white head that swells to agrandize itself with only one or two quick swirls of the glass, eventually settling to a more temperate collar of bubbles.

Fresh flowers, orange, banana, cloves, and a smooth oaky vanilla admix themselves into a vibrant, glorious, majestic aroma. And I swear to you that a short, casual whiff reveals dill and cilantro mayo or some sort of herbal face cream. Astonishingly complex.

Lightly syrupy and not terribly lively on the tongue, there's a constant reminder of flowers with dried lavender and cinnamon-orange peel aggressively challenging the palate. Notes of sage and twigs lend a slightly raw feel. A light hop bitterness rounds it out, but the spiciness lingers.

I am humbled in its presence.

marburg, Jan 06, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

I have to start by saying that Cuvee Des Fleures has been my favorite beer of the year, and I hope that the rumors are true and we'll see it as a regular brew by Phil Markowski in the near future.

First poured into an Ayinger glass, then into a Delirium Tremens glass. The DT glass was the best for aroma, but the head retention was better in the Ayinger glass.

A- Nice butterscotch color, cloudy, and plenty of head that dimples

A- Powerful flowers come through right away in the aroma, along with some lemon and hay/ grass aroma.

T- Herbal and bright, very lively, slightly tart, with a pretty bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium, springy, and carbonation is light.

Like I said, it's my favorite innovation of the year- pretty cool, a brew with flowers!

elinash, Jul 29, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured from a 750 ml corked bottle. The color of the beer is a dark oragne with a stiff white head. The aroma has herbs in it and sweet pale malt offerings. The flavor is long. It rests on each note for a while but moves on consistently. You are tasting the beer long after you swallow but it is not in the sense of a leftover aftertaste. It is all of the complex flavors coming to pass. Notes of vanilla, lavender, and a bit of peppermint earthiness. it ends with a well balanced sweetness and a bit of tapioca flavor.

BrewMaster, Oct 17, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +17.1%

I bought this as a single at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a cognac glass at UJ's.

With a very slow pour it showed a beautiful clear tangerine/gold with a huge 3 finger head of very tight foam. Looks highly effervescent, and there was great lacing on the glass. This beer is something to behold!

Aroma is like nothing I ever smelled in a beer. Flowers for real, but not overpowering in any way. Smells a wee sour, with notes of citrus, coriander, cloves, pepper, lavender, and other flowers I can't identify. Has that "Belgiany" smell, also. Can't wait!

Flavor is this wonderful wash of flowers and spices, tart, dry, citrusy and delicious. There's some hop bitterness there, and some phenolics. Such a great complexity of flavors, it's hard to describe them. These flavors last through the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is highly effervescent prickiness, clean, dry, sharp and crisp.

A truly fantastic Saison. This guy is a Belgian genius. It has everything you would want in a saison: tart, spicy, dry, prickly, Belgiany, and complex as hell. Very highly recommended.

jakester, Sep 21, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange-ish color with a large, rocky head that dissipates slowly leaving considerable lacing. Looks quite nice.

Smell: Has a strong citrusy and flowery notes backed by yeasty and hoppy flavors. Very complex.

Taste: Wow. One of the most complex beers I've ever had. Hoppy, yeasty, fruity, and flowery. This is definitely a unique saison with loads of flavor.

Mouthfeel: A little light on body but still very good.

Drinkability: A excellent saison and certainly one of the best I've had. I'll certainly look for this one in the future.

wahhmaster, Oct 13, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +16.6%

2005 bottle vintage, Sampled January 2006
This is an absolutely ridiculously carbonated beer. I poured three tulip glasses of beer full to the brim and I was only able to pour about a 1/3rd of the bottle. The little tiny bit of beer at the bottom of my tulip is brilliantly clear, and an orangish-copper color. The head, as expected is voluminous, and slowly recedes in a frothy, collapsed rocky surface. The aroma is quite intriguing. It is much more noticeably than I was expecting; it is immediately noticeable as I am pouring the beer. It smells quite sweet and honey-like, but definitely a floral honey. As I go in for a deeper draught of the aroma, I get a slight astringent note that one would typically associate with wild flowers, but is also quite a typical characteristic of Belgian yeast. The aroma has notes that remind me of all sorts of things; I get notes of sweet-ginger, pepper, a spicy note that is similar to the fruity spicy note in a Habanero chile. Holy mackerel, the aroma is just absolutely fantastic, I can't even describe everything that is going on, it is just awesome and needs to be experienced. I suppose I should get around to taking a sip of this heavenly aromatic brew.

The taste is quite sweet up front, in fact it is also devoid of carbonation; it was so explosively carbonated at first that almost all of the carbonation has disappeared. The description of honey is definitely an apt one for the taste as well. This sweetness is balanced by an astringent, sharp, bitter, almost weedy note that is much more appealing than I have described. The note definitely takes the place of hop-bitterness, but is quite a bit different. The astringent, bitter note lingers for quite some time in the mouth after the beer is gone. This in many ways reminds me of a Chinese dessert consisting of an unrefined-sugar sweetened, ginger infused water that is used to flavor a super soft, silken tofu; it is quite good. There is something of a green vegetal character here; almost like a red/yellow bell pepper, but better.

I am really enjoying this beer. If I had to complain I would say that this could really use some carbonation to it; the initial over-carbonation robbed this beer of any residual carbonation. Perhaps my next pour will have a bit more CO2. Ah yes, my second pour from the bottle is quite well carbonated, in fact almost a bit overly so. This high level of carbonation actually cuts the sweetness a bit, which is actually good. This beer is just getting better; the second pour is a bit more yeasty as well, which adds a grounded earthy note, as well as the typically bready-yeasty note. The carbonation also accentuates a sharp, spicy note that almost has some heat to it.

This beer is incredibly interesting, and quite tasty. I highly recommend this beer if you can get some, and if you can't try harder because it is worth it. I really like how the various floral components balance in this beer; the honey sweet character is well balanced by the harder floral notes. This beer is certainly all about the flowers though: the yeast and malt character serve to perfectly accentuate the floral flavors. The malt helps to convey the honey-sweet nectar notes and the yeast helps to accentuate the spicy floral characteristics.

Gueuzedude, Jan 17, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

I picked up a couple bottles of this during a recent trip to NYC (God, I love Chicago!).

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a rather weak head that settles to a moderate blanket almost immediately. The etching in the bottom of my Duvel glass may be helping the head out some here.

I noticed more than a couple black flecks hanging out in my beer throughout the bottle. As I fish them out, more appear. hmmm. Other solid particulate provide nucleation sites for carbonation bubbles.

The smell is not strong and consists of a light graham cracker aroma, honey, and some floweriness. Pleasant and subtle.

The taste is what grabs me here. Big and oily honey tones tempered with solid doses of bitter hops. Ends with an almost anesthetic fennel flavor. I love it.

Mouthfeels is thick, creamy, and wondeful. Highly drinkable!

silenius, Mar 20, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

A - Golden brown with hints of dark orang. SOlid two finger foay cap slowly fades to a think ring. Big sheets of white lacing left behind. Not near the carbonation issues that many others have mentioned.

S - Explosive aroma with many different smells coming at you. Starts rather sweet with alot of honey and touches of floral notes. A light peppery spice is thrown in as well.

T - Very strong honey like sweetness up front. Floral hoppiness comes through with a light bitterness. Underlying spice provides a nice balance to the sweetness. Very crisp flavors.

M/D - Medium bodied and very crisp. Light stickiness in the finish with a taste that lingers in the mouth for a ong time. Very easy drinking.

ckeegan04, Oct 10, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

A: Not only is this beer cloudy, consistently throughout, every inch of it is actually as murky as a swamp. The color is soft orange one, with about a half finger or so cloud white head that kept its retention throughout.

S: Well, the marketing speak on this one didn't say anything about coriander, but for some reason, I'm getting a lot of it. Spicy and floral for sure, with a "rose garden-like" flair.

T: Flowers and candy (pixie stick dust) meet for the first time! Pretty sweet, it a candy sort of way, with coriander playing at least third fiddle to the many flowers that were used to make this beer (all of which I had never even heard of). I got a tinge of the farmhouse quality on the late part of the brew.

M: Mild, yet tight prickly carbonation. A few bubble stuck to the glass as I siphoned off the brew, but not many. Sweet, but not sticky; floral but not manure-like.

D: The farmhouse saison style is definitely in my top 3 favs.... and this is one of the best of them. Fantastic achievement all around!

Chaney, Mar 12, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

750 ml pours excessively heady, overflowing my glass even with 2 fingers of head space left. The beer is a solid peachy orange color with a massive head that is maintained by a massive cascade of bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Very good looking brew. Nose on this one has been teasing me since I opened the bottle. There are huge floral notes over a solid gingery base with hints barnyardy mustyness and a zingy lemony citrus to light tart/sour. Complexity is the name of this beer. Maybe even some chamomile in there as well. Damn the nose is great. Flavor is solid on with the nose. Very floral and spicey upfront with the mustyness hitting second. Second sip gives me a bit more of the chamomile note initially, with moderate ginger and an almost soapy floral component. The lemony zestyness comes in right after swallowing the brew, fading again to a barnyardy mustyness. Not as nice as the aroma, but still nice. Feel is moderate with a very active carbonation of fine bubbles. It dances very nicely on the tongue. Overall, this is a solid beer. Its not something to sit and put away quickly because the complexity on this so big and makes me want to savor it more. This is definately a brew I would have again, and I'm glad this is my second bottle.

kmpitz2, Feb 16, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

Mmmm... another winner from SH. Picked up a caged, corked champagne bottle at Thrifty in Brooklyn. Bottle describes the beer as "a special Saison-style brew lightly flavored with a blend of edible flowers including [in italics] L. augustifola, A. nobilis, C. officinalis, R.canina, and of course, H. lupulus." Now, I'm not a botanist, so whatever, sounds good. (Actually, I didn't even know that H. lupulus is hops until I looked it up. Of course, as they say on the bottle).

Cork was a struggle, but finally came free with more of a whoosh than a pop. Poured into a Bourdeaux-style wine glass, and the beer glimmered with a golden sheen and boasted a nice quarter-inch sudsy head that lingered on and on. There is some funky barnyard and leather smell here, intermingled with clove. The smell reminds me quite a bit of Hennepin. This baby is an exceptional drinker. It has those same yeast-related attributes that many of the Southampton Belgian-styles do, but this one starts with the taste of clover honey, then moves into a little banana and clove, which then transforms into a slightly cidery and vinegary, and incredibly dry, wine-like flavor, and yes, a floral afterstaste. There is also an intense bitter hopiness in the aftertaste that lingers long into the evening. This puppy is like a hoppy Belgian triple combined with honey mead. Drinkability is astounding for an 8.5 ABV. I'm gassed. Oh how I love Southampton.

bultrey, Oct 10, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

Received from Cuzco in the Blind Beers #3 BIF. Thanks Nate!

Poured into a MJ tasting glass. Pours a hazy gold with a big fluffy white head. Good mix of bubbles and the head drops after a few minutes. Leaves a ton of lace on the glass.

Aromas of lemon, pepper spice, yeasty must, flowery, with some chaulk. hmmm, very saison-like, but heavier.

First sip is of lemon, and pepper, and something I can't quite put my finger on. Faintly like licorise and a hint of tobacco. Very interesting. Flowery with a hint of honey. A slight alcohol bite to it. Some tart fruit, green apple, and a plumminess. A hint of vanilla. Some bitterness around the edges, but no hop aroma or flavor that I can specifically pick out. Very complex, very nice brew.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy. Some prickly carbonation, but it's very well balanced, not overcarbonated or gassy.

Exceptionally drinkable beer. From the alcohol bite, I can tell that this isn't a session beer, but I am going to enjoy every drop of it.

JamnesCameron, Dec 06, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

I kept thinking this one was dark. Dark dark dark. The bottle is a brown 750 cork and caged, so maybe it was just looking at the dark bottle for what seemed like forever in the fridge. Acquired last summer at Shoreline and forgotten about in the fridge until this recent Saison binge.

Pours a slightly hazy gold with a hint of orange. Hardly any head, which is strange, because last night's vielle provision had a huge rocky head that just sat in the glass, minding its own business. The nose is fruity, with some bubblegum coming through. Taste is heaven with initial earthy spiciness, leading to oranges, slight peaches, and that bubbleyum belgian candi taste, but with the bubble YUM more pronounced. Is that coriander in there? Nevertheless, heavenly. Cleans the palate and clears it for the taste. Finishes grassy on the tongue. Bitter, but without being sharp. round and nice kind of like how food leaves a lingering aftertaste. Mouthfeel is perfect, slight carbonation on the tongue and the back of the throat until swallowed. No one is going to make this a session beer, but after one or two of these bottles, one would go to bed happy and satisfied. Another superlative offer from Phil "I wrote the book on Saison" Markowski.

twilight, Mar 11, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

Thanks to fellow BA Malto for the bottle! We finally cracked her open. Dense cloudy goldenrod in my glass, the frothy white head has died down to just a thin film in the glass. Some small particulates lie at the bottom of my glass. Aromawise, there's some sweetness, but also some pungent spicieness. Yeasty, but maybe some mustard seed/pepper or similar in there. Tastewise, extremly smooth, what alcohol(?) ;-) this is almost a session beer. I pick up some yeastiness, maybe even some wheatiness. Some floral hop finish. Very enjoyable.

PatandDavid, Apr 17, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

Nice to see this on the shelves here in Colorado. Had it once and it was an amazing saison (I'm not a fan of the style, but the Fleurs was almost enjoyable). Pours a fine four finger nearly white head over a cloudy orange-straw liquid. Lotsa streamers feeding the head. Smells lavendar, bready, straw, oregano, lemony, oranges, some acetic acid, and a bit of a peppery version of pumpkin pie spice. Pretty complex and well balanced.

Tastes honey-like. Very fruity with some spiciness and a wonderful floral that works very well with the saison character. Malt is mild caramel, yet dry from the strong saison ferment. Some phenolic and oregano, probably produced from the high ferment, contributes a dry that is counterpoint to the floral and the fruity esters. Esters give orange marmalade, strawberry, and pumpkin. The only flower I could hope to guess at is lavendar, but there is much more floral depth to it. Light body and strong carbonation, bordering on efferevescent. Really quite nice.

mentor, Aug 22, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from a cork and caged 750 ml into my Corsedonk snifter. Pours a golden hazy color with a huge frothy head. Head remains for a while, and leaves wonderful sticky lacing as it sinks. A thin amount of froth continues to float on the surface. A fair amount of sediment floats around in the middle as it slowly settles at the bottom.
Aroma is kind of faint but citrus/lemon and orange come to mind. Picking up a slight mildew scent to common in Saisons...oak and earthy.
Flavor is awesome! I love saisons, and this takes the cake for saisons. Very strong oak-y and moldy resemblances. Lot's of light citrus fruits.
Medium body, very refreshing and satisfying. Great beer!

ShadesOfGray, Dec 26, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured an orange amber color with a huge and bubbly champagne-like head. Great nose of floral and spice notes. A sweet citrus and fruit quality underlied the hops. Taste is outstanding with deliciously sweet fruit, flowery hops, and a spicy backbone. An outstanding saison, highly recommended.

lehows, Jan 28, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Dark green champagne bottle gold caged & corked quite beautifully with a rather subtle label. The top indicates "2005." Label info: Blend of edible flowers including L. augustifola, A. nobilis, C. officinalis, R. canina, and of course H. lupulus.

A quick twist of that cork and the air is filled with aromas before I can even cler the gunsmoke emanating from the bottle.

A pour of a life time into a tulip glass that grows into a gorgeous mountain of off white head cap airy yet solid in prescence flowing above the rim with a pour dent in the cap. Just pouring this is precision surgery . Finally after several minutes a some more settled cap allows for a fill that is half beer and half cap.Inside the glass, a pure golden honey hue loaded with bubble beading rising to the surface. The head cap actually performed a trick when it settled leaving a donut shaped head cap on top of more whipped meringue dollop head cap. Don't make me describe the Brussels lace.

Aromatic herbal spicey cloves initially rises. Slight yet complex aromas pervade each whiff. Hop aroma slips out with the bright wild flower-esque scents with a twinge of pepper.

First swigs: An escape into nature greets the tongue. Slightly barn yard musty, honeyish, with a blend of detactable rose petal or clover or lavender. Wild is all that suffices. Herbal and Earthy with plenty of mineral aspects to create a complex sipper. Finish is dry and dusty with a slight linger of honey and Earthiness.

Feel has a sharp sizzle, some oily resinous prescence and a delicate restained medium body. To say "champagne like" would sell this gem short. Just an airy clean frothy foamer.

Last swigs: A lucious deep super saison. I mixed this with a dill havarti. I hope Garrett Oliver is proud. What a stunning drink. Reminds me of nothing. In a class by itself. Maybe Heavyweight Juhlia. The latin flowers translate into: lavender, chrysthanthemom, marigold and rose.

blitheringidiot, Dec 13, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Sent my way as an extra from Pabs311. Thanks a bunch Dave. My wife and I split the cork and caged 750ml bottle into our matching Duvel tulips and paired it up with some homemade white chicken chili. Review time:

A: Slightly murky meyer-lemon gold. Very little head for a saison even after a hard pour. About an inch of tight white foam sits on top and quickly recedes to a wisp ring. Moderate lacing has this looking alright. 4/5

S: Oh my... I do love a bright smelling saison and this fits the bill. So fresh and so clean lemon zest, young rosemary, and some funky dried generic herbs. Quaffable to borderline perfection. 4.5/5

T: Very low on the banana ester just like I prefer. I'm looking for the floral here and I find it as a nice subtlety. My palate is not refined enough to pull it out blind so its nice to know its there in advance. Some lightly sweet candied orange peel, parsley, and a strong showing of noble hops are some of the highlights. The 8.2% ABV shows up on the finish toward the bottom of my glass and as it warms. A little less sweetness and this would be flawless. 4.5/5

M: Fuller bodied than the saisons I'm more used to from Upright and lower on the carbonation as well. Its nice in its own way though. I like it as a nice changeup. 4/5

D: I could drink a whole lot of this if it was available locally. Typically I enjoy saisons for their ability to stand up to food as a nice accompaniment. Cuvee Des Fleurs does well to stand up all by itself with no support. Its among the best I have had and highly recommended. Well done Southampton. 5/5

hopsbreath, Feb 18, 2011