Southampton Cuvee Des Fleurs - Southampton Publick House

Southampton Cuvee Des FleursSouthampton Cuvee Des Fleurs

Southampton Publick House visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.20% ABV

A Saison flavored with a blend of edible flowers including L. augustifolia, A. nobilis, C. officinalis, R. canina and H. lupulus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2004)

ptshrdn, May 14, 2012

westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 10, 2013
2.23/5  rDev -44.7%

"...ale with a variety of flowers, including L. augustifolia, A. nobilis, C. officinallis and a generous amount of H. lupulus." After some googling that equals lavendar, yarrow, dandelion and hops.

Gold with a lumpy blanket of white foam on top. Clear to cloudy depending on first or last pour.

Smells like green bananas and must. Tastes very spicy with a burnt agave nectar sweetness which is really, really nasty.

This was a drainpour.

donkeyrunner, May 15, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -38%

Comparison_Ford, Jul 29, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -38%

RBorsato, Oct 22, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: pours slightly cloudy with zero head, orange/yellow color, some lacing

S: nose features herbal notes with some sourdough, ginger, and some floral/ rose rose character

T: this tastes like biting into a handful of potpourri, extremely floral, so much so that it over shadows the base. Some moderate tartness sneaks through at the end.

MF: the body is surprisingly thick with high carbonation

O: well in theory, this beer sounds quite intriguing, and based on some of the reviews, some really enjoyed it. Perhaps the batch I got was off or maybe it needed time to mellow out, but I just can't get past the intensely floral character

homebrew311, May 09, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -36%

I sampled this at '09 GABF and didn't particularly like it then and wanted to give it another chance.

The beer pours translucent copper with nice head. Aromas of mint, lime, rose petals, medicinal syrup, wet/damp field, clove, and somewhat barnyardy but not funky. The taste is weird like a mojito and that medicinal band-aid, phenolic problem - just hard to pull through and put down. Not going to search this one out ever again.

brandoneast, Jul 13, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -32.3%

750ml bottle poured into a Bruery Tulip.

A - Pours a hazy glowing gold with a thick white head that settles to a patchy haze and thin ring.
S - VERY floral and herbal, with a strong aromas of honey, spicy yeast, and a touch of orange peel. Smells like a perfume, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad...
T - Again, very floral (no surprise), I can really detect the rose water and lavender. More honey and spicy Saison yeast is in there too, but this is a straight-up flower bomb. A bit intense for me, it really get to feel like you're drinking a perfume.
M - Thin-bodied, with crisp carbonation and a lasting, bitter finish.
O - Whew, this was a bit much for me! Too floral for my tastes, but luckily this is right up my girlfriends alley!

jsanford, Jun 06, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

Appearance: Hazy but clear amber with a fluffy off-white head that retains well, leaving rings of lace as it dissipates.

Smell: They're not fucking around here, this is one intensely floral beer. Jasmin, honey and tea leaves come to mind with a plethora of floral undertones that I can't distinguish.

Taste & mouthfeel: Honey-like sweetness meets a distinct green tea-like flavor. Tons of floral complexity, but I couldn't begin to pick out any specific flavors. This is sweeter than I was expecting, to the point of being rather cloying. I'm glad I decided to share this bottle; the complexity and richness of it easily fatigues the palate after 1 glass.

largadeer, Jul 06, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -30.5%

this ones really strong on the aroma. the aromas are really like a garden of many different flowers, some sage. its really really floral, a bit herbal. the taste is a bit less intense thank fully, but its still hard to swallow. not sure about this one, for me anyway

dank203, Apr 14, 2014
2.98/5  rDev -26.1%

750ML format, wine goblet.

A: Deep bright-ish orange, gave it my usual "high pour" while billowy head that fade quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S: TANGERINE!! And flowers, which ones I can't say but very sweet and floral. I like the floral aroma but can't image this being a positive when it comes to the taste.

T/M: Very sweet upfront, some orange like flavors, more so clementine than tangerine on the tongue (as opposed to the aroma) and then the saison yeast finally rears it's head at the very end in the form of a dry finish. Otherwise far far too syrupy for my liking and for the style.

O: Not bad, I've had it multiple times but I just started reviewing on here and can't remember much of how the beer was the first couple of times I'd had it. And although I understand the beer, I'm just not the greatest fan of it.

effyeaAB, Jun 26, 2012

HopStoopid120, Nov 15, 2011

From 6/5/10 notes. Had at SAVOR in DC.

a - Pours a golden color with no head and no carbonation evident.

s - Smells of spices, floral hops, and a hint of fruit, but not much.

t - Tastes of spices, some light fruit, apples, and floral hops. I thought it taste kind of weird and was not a big fan.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - I didn't really enjoy this saison. I thought the taste was an odd mix that didn't work very well. Would not want to have again.

mdfb79, Jun 12, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

A - Hazy yellow beer with a white head that left a little bit of stick on the sides.

S - Smells like lavender and puke. Honestly this smells pretty bad to me. Interesting floral aroma, and by interesting I mean bad.

T - Little bit of yeast, banana, and funk. The floral notes are definately present, but a bit muted from the taste. Thankfully it does not taste as bad as it smells.

M - Light bodied, with crisp carbonation.

O - It's okay, but the smell really turned me off. Not going to seek this one out.

AgentZero, Apr 21, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

Southampton Cuvee Des Fleurs has a soft-golden colored body with a slight haze from yeast. The head is white and full, with nice retention and pretty decent lacing.

There is a big flowery aroma, with some fruit and spice behind it.

The added flavors in this one are too powerful to me. There is a large, flowery taste. It tastes a little bit like potpourri. There are a ton of edible flowers added into this one, and the chamomile, lavender and especially the rosewater really stand out. A little bit of a hop bitterness is in there also, which is the only flowery taste that I am used to in beers, even if it isn't in every saison. Underneath all of the flowers is what tastes like a pretty good saison. A hint of tartness comes in the form of green apple and light fruit, and then a little bit of peppery flavor comes after that. The malt is lightly sweet and bready.

The mouthfeel is nice. It explodes on the tongue in the way that a good saison should.

In a lot of ways, Cuvee des Fleurs reminds me of the the Saison Deluxe, which I think is fantastic. The flavor, however, relies too much upon the added flowers. I guess considering the name this isn't much of a surprise, but I'm not a huge fan. It reminds me of a lot of American saisons that use heavy doses of spices instead of letting the yeast shine. It tastes a little bit like potpourri or perfume.

Hojaminbag, Jul 27, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -21.1%

This beer reminded me a lot of grapefruit juice in a lot of ways. Its appearance resembled it in color, exactly. Had a little head. Smell is very citrusy, fruit juicy- a bit earthy, but mostly citrus notes.

Taste was sour, a bit of honey flavors to be found. Taste seems to go in stages... it's floraly and okay at first, and then becomes progressively worse- more and more sour, and a really icky aftertaste, like old garbage. Mouthfeel is okay- nothing special though. Drinkability? Not so much. I don't see myself searching this one out again- just too much sour garbageyness.

scooter231, Jun 28, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

Enormous fluffy white head on top of a hazy sun burnt yellow. Lively carbonation and a sticky lacing.

Scents from a summer meadow, fresh flowers, roses, a little bit lemon, barnyard yeast, and slight band-aid.

Taste is bready, raw floral quality and hoppy. Almost a little over powering. Lightly sweet malt. Taste is not as bright and clean as I expected. Moderate to high bitterness in the finish. A lasting bitterness and rose coats the tongue.

Belgian yeast flavor is overpowered by the hops. I would like to see some more balance here and let that shine through. Unless there is something they are trying to cover up. I will have no problem finishing this 750 though.

BearsOnAcid, Mar 12, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

Review #300. I've been saving this one since my visit to Long Island at the beginning of this summer, and it's been killing me! Saison is my favorite style, and I've been intrigued by Southampton ever since reading Farmhouse Ales a few years back back.

Poured into my Fantôme tulip, Cuvée des Fleurs is a hazy gold, with a nice sized tight off-white head that's rocky and long lasting, leaving fairly heavy foamy lace, with lots of active effervescence. Perfect for the style, or pretty much any other for that matter.

Aroma is pretty strong on the citrus spices, immediately reminding me of their double wit, which i thought was cloying and over-spiced...uh oh! After having the Saison Deluxe, I had super high expectations, but now I'm not so sure...with a name like Cuvée des Fleurs, I knew it would be floral, but this is awfully heavy-handed...mainly lots of orange, but also a nice bit honey. In spite of the hint of quinine like dryness that I expect for the style, the spices are too thick for my taste.

The taste, disappointingly is also way to heavy on the spices, very floral, with some citrus, which gives it an interesting depth, but it's just to much. As my pallet adjusts, I get flashes of the brilliance of the Saison Deluxe, but this on is just so sugary and washed out in spices, I can't really savor it. I'm not sure of the FG, but I think if they dropped this another .010 it would be spot on - as it is, it's just to under-attenuated for my taste. In spite of all the criticism, the floral honey taste is growing on me, and starting to hit the spot, although it's still awfully rich. While the taste certainly isn't average, it's not too good either! I keep waffling on the score, but in the end, I'll give it a 3....but without my comments, it's closer to a 2, e.g. (I'm) Not Impressed!

The mouthfeel is to cloying for a saison, in spite of the spritz from the carbonation. Otherwise, it's pretty light and creamy.

Well, I really wanted to love this one. But it's just not that good by my palate, and this 750ml bottle took some time. Way to spicy, I'm glad I sat on it for a few months at least, as I'm sure it was only worse fresh. Still, I really love their Saison Deluxe, in spite of this and that double wit. The funny thing is that I just had my first taste of Founder's Breakfast Stout with BA JohnMichaelson this afternoon, an extremely special treat that would surely earn a higher score then my #300...nevertheless, I'm glad I brought this one home!

ccrida, Oct 07, 2007

tom10101, Aug 05, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -18.6%

Review from notes from November '09. Thanks to an awesome BA for sharing!

A - Coppery amber, somewhat cloudy with tiny particulates. Large white head that diminished quickly. 3.5

S - This is very interesting. I can actually pick out the different flowers in the aroma, all light and delicately mixed, very faint funkiness. Quite complex and I'm actually not sure what to make of it besides it being "very interesting and floral." 4.0

T - Unfortunately, the nose was probably the best aspect so far. The taste is spicy with a hint of anise and pepper, sweet maltiness and ripe pears, then a frickin bouquet of flowers. An herbal bitterness that seems somewhat out of place to me. 3.0

M - Pretty good, although the carbonation seemed a little high initially, then kind of just died. 3.5

D - Altogether an ok drinker. Very interesting... seems to be the theme of this beer. 3.0

DmanGTR, May 10, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -18.1%

From a 750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a goblet.
Looks a lot like grapefuit juice. Not a whole lotta head, a dense, hazy, yellow/orange color.
Smells very fruity and floral... which makes sense seeing as how this is made with edible flowers. Enjoyabley fragrant.
Unfortunately for me, this tasted too much like grapefruit juice. It struck me as a sour fruit juice with a kick. Quite a bit of citrus zest. This is pretty tangy, which I usually enjoy from a brew but I didn't enjoy it here.
Those that enjoy tripels as a beer style may like this one.
I didn't particularly enjoy this one.
I will say that this way more enjoyable when paired with some spicy chinese food. It has enough backbone to stand up to stronger flavors.
Still, I won't be going to great lengths to find this one again.

ommegangpbr, Jun 26, 2005
3.33/5  rDev -17.4%

First off, that cork was a bitch! It damn near took all my strength to open this bottle. The pour is a very elegant golden bronze color with a somewhat foamy medium sized egg white head. Sparse amounts of bubbles go to the top. Smell is yeasty and floral, about what I'd expected but they are a little weak. Taste is really hard for me to pin down. Starts out almost tarty but I'll just say bitter with hops and flowers, lots of odd estery flavors. It's really a hard hit initially to my palate. A grainy, yeasty flavor helps sweeten up the rather thick for its style beer. Underneath there seems to be white grape tannins. Finish is yeasty with some fruity complements and lingers to the point of almost being annoying. This was one different tasting saison, not bad, but not my style either.

Still, lots of thanks to FeloniusPhil for such a great all around trade!

granger10, Dec 24, 2004
3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

Well I haven't tasted it, but its one gorgeous beer. In the brown bottle you can see it's crystal clear and bright. The head is like whipped egg whites and has insane retention. The beer is a dramatically bright brass color with some lively carbonation. Clumps of lacing.

Aroma is wild. Overrun by perfume like aromas that remind me of herbs. Sage, Juniper, a light mint, white pepper, and light yeast notes.

Flavor is definitely sweeter than I expected. The perfume, herbaceous aromas all are present in the flavor. A light menthol type flavor seems to be the most dominant. These flavors seem to overpower most traditional saison flavors. Some bitterness towards the end that lingers nicely. What's interesting is that the flavor of the flowers stays with you for quite some time. Certainly a complex beer, but I wish it was less sweet. It finally hit me that this reminds me a little of a high quality honey.

Big in the mouth, yet body is fairly light. Again the sweetness has in impact here.

This is a beer that you slowly enjoy... It's ok, but I would not seek it out again.

Reagan1984, Mar 14, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours a bright amber-orange color with an island of an off white head.

The flowers this is brewed with dominate the nose, leading to a strong, overpowering herbal aroma. It reminded me of oregeno, or other herbs you would find in a pizza sauce. The yeast is overshadowed by the "fleurs" aspect, and comes through with very little to remind me of a Saison.

The flavor is also strongly based on the flowers, which causes the same problem on the nose. It has too much herbal flavor, with a strong bitterness on the finish. As it warms, it seems overly sweet. Again, it doesn't remind me of a Sasion.

I found the carbonation to be too high for this beer, but the mouthfeel was otherwise good. It had a moderate body with a very dry finish. I didn't find this very drinkable and I'm not sure I would get it again.

jeffthecheff, Aug 02, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

Spicy and mildly sweet honey-tinged floral aroma. Has a wheat beer look to it. Cloudy golden color with a huge biscuit head that compresses to cracker thickness as it settles.

Very complex flavors that cover every range from bitter, sweet, sour and tart. I have to say this is one of those beers I appreciate for the skill it takes to make it, but just don’t personally like. My wife, pragmatist that she is just plopped an orange in her share and pretended it was another wheat beer.

Jredner, Mar 01, 2006