Saison Deluxe - Southampton Publick House

Saison DeluxeSaison Deluxe

Southampton Publick House visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 09-23-2006)
2.48/5  rDev -40%

Appearance: A hazy straw color with an enormous frothy head that lasts and lasts. I can't really imagine a better-looking saison.

Smell: Sweet, fruity and yeasty. Lots of estery goodness here; banana, peach and a bit of lemon. Pretty nice but sweeter than I like for the style.

Taste & mouthfeel: Full of fruit and spice, and decidedly sweet for the style. Banana, peach, coriander and clove come to mind. The finish contains a bit of zesty citrus flavor and a moderate dryness, though the sweetness still prevails in the end. Not much funkiness here to speak of, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, though it is something I appreciate in a saison. A few ounces in this one becomes extremely cloying and difficult to drink. Not impressive.

Notes: Southampton is a brewery that consistently makes me think, "meh, this is pretty good" and this beer is no exception. They seem to brew most styles uncharacteristically sweet, which is something I'm not too crazy about.

largadeer, Aug 13, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -39.5%

chrispoint, Feb 19, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -39.5%

Jakep2021, Jul 21, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -33.4%

davidwhatshisnam, May 07, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -32.7%

Appearance: Hazy / cloudy yellowish base color with hazy orange and gold with a white head.

Smell: Straw/Hay with a peppery alcoholic over notes.

Taste: Straw and B

Mouthfeel: To me I would consider thus light bodied beer with low carbonation after pour. Drinks easy, sort of an off the wall taste that caught me well off guard.

Overall: Definitely complex and for a farmhouse saison. Did not expect it to taste anything like it did. Of all the saisons I've had this would be something I would not really care to try again.

FarmHouseJam, Jun 24, 2012

mdaschaf, Apr 08, 2013

nh2032, Jun 09, 2013

VikeMan, Dec 19, 2011

Beerandboards, Jul 10, 2013

Myst, Dec 17, 2011

brez8791, Dec 27, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -24.9%

Bottle. Pours a golden straw color with a bigger head than I would have expected. Very fluff white head. Strong aroma of belgian yeast and floral notes. Slight alcohol notes in the nose. Lots of lace with a lot of carbonation. Pretty smooth well balanced taste of belgian yeast flavors with some floral type tastes. Not bad but the abundance of carbonation really kills it for me.

kbutler1, Sep 24, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Meh. If this were labeled a strong "Belgian Pale Ale," it might have made it to A territory with me. If that's what it was supposed to be, it would be an excellent example.

But it claims to be a saison, and it misses that mark by a wide margin. Saisons should be earthy and a bit funky. Farmhouse ales, people. Crazy ingredient and uncontrolled fermentation conditions in farmhouses along the Belgian/French countryside.

This is clean (by Belgian standards) and straightforward. Not at all what I want from a saison.

Also, crazy overcarbonated, which really dings mouthfeel and drinkability. Yes, the style should have high carbonation. But if you can't gently pour an inch of beer down a tilted glass without getting five inches of head, something's amiss. Makes it a pain in the ass to deal with.

I'd rather have a Duvel.

Bonhoeffer, Aug 26, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

mendvicdog, Aug 26, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -20.1%

A - Opaque golden color with a big, white head that left behind a little bit of lace.

S - Smells sweet, with some lemon and a little bit of apple in there. Grass and earth tones are present as well.

T - The beer tastes a bit oxidized, and it is too tart for my liking for this style. It's not as sour as I was expecting, but still sour. A little bit of spice, with yeast rounding out the taste.

M - Overly carbonated, lighter side of medium.

O - Some interesting things going on, but not my favorite. Worth trying, may appeal to some.

AgentZero, Apr 20, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -20.1%

Considering the reviews, I was expecting this to be a great beer, but I was disappointed. Pours a nice hazed blonde color, with an impressive pillowy white head, long lasting. The nose is sharp, spicy, yeasty. The flavor is the real let-down. This beer has a sugary sweetness, an alcohol heat and way too much spice, coriander and clove. Basically, this beer has none of the elegance that I would hope for in a saison. The body is on the full side for this to be as refreshing as the label promised, despite very strong carbonation. Overall, an overly flamboyant beer, and given the spicing of this, I'm not too interested in trying their other two offerings available in my local store: Double White Ale and Grand Cru "spiced ale."

akahn, Dec 10, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -19.4%

A-golden with a nice white head

S-smells earthy and muddy. Lemon grass, fairly aged. Slightly sour. Medium to good strength.

T-comes in with a weak but slightly bitter taste of raw pale Belgians malts. It's an odd mix. Not of high quality and it's not well balanced.

M-low carbonation with a wet finish

O-This is a pretty a poor Saison. It tastes almost yucky. I think they attempted to make it a good tart Saison, but it just fell apart.

AdamBear, Jul 17, 2012
3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

Looks playful elegant resting in an oversized wine glass. The head makes a brief appearance then disappears. Smells like paper plate and a hint of bitter peel. The carbonation is sharp, and I feel as if a wall of resistance comes with every sip, as if the ale was purposefully avoiding sliding into my deep, dark belly. Stale orange peel floats within a boozey, hard to ignore prison wine. High pitch bitter notes clash around noisily. Not an enjoyable experience. Not a Saison experience.

SeanRedd, Aug 30, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Smells and looks like a saison. Barnyard aroma is there, as if by custom. Significant head on lighter colour body. The surprise is the hoppiness moderated by fainter spice. Tasted closer to an ESB. And so not so true to style. A bit acidic in finish needed food as an antitode.
An entirely different saison than the regular saison, according to my notes.

Sammy, Jul 22, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

A - huge soapy head covering a nice golden hazy pour

S - very sweet floral with some citrus popping in. Maybe a hint of funk in the background but nearly what I would expect from this style.

T - the sweetness in the smell does not translate into the taste. this is a rather bitter beer with sour fruits.

M - nice carbonation and the taste quickly spreads over my palette. this is a good refreshing brew

D - while the mouthfeel is very refreshing, perhaps because I'm new to this style, I would call this a sipper.

I can only compare this to the Victory Helios being that's the only other farmhouse I've had before but I would definitely give my nod to the helios. I felt it was funkier and a bit more citrusy in taste

mmmmmbeeer, Jul 24, 2010