Southampton Abbot 12 - Southampton Publick House

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2003

« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
Ratings: 241 | Reviews: 142

Another great beer from the rare beer club. Smells looks, and tastes great. Nice mouth feel. I can't wait to see how this develops over time. There is a hint of rawness to it that should smooth out over time.
It has the nice dried fruit flavor and alcohol warmness.

4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

had a chance to break out the St. Bernardus chalice that I got free from Bierkraft for winning the Imbiber's caption contest. And what a beer to try in in. 2003 vintage Abbot 12.

Pours a deep barown/garnet read color with a 1/4" head that pretty much stays for the whole drink, very nice Belgian lace. The aroma is sweet malt, raisins, yeast, some roastyness. This is a beautiful drinking beer, full of sweet malt, alcohol, yeasty goodness, fruity, warming flavors. I'd imagine that if I went to Belgium, this is what beer tastes like, makes you forget that other abbey beer, you know the one that starts with a Ch.

4.3/5  rDev +8%

Poured into a Cigar City snifter on 4/3/11.

Pours a very nice dark brown with very bubbly head that dissipates shortly with low to moderate lacing on the glass.

Smells of sweet malts, carmel raison, candied sugar. Very nice.

Taste of lots of carmel and malts with some hop bitterness. Has some other tastes on the back end like raisins.

Mouthfeel is medium weight and crisp. Goes down smooth and leaves a nice resin that lets a lot of carmel taste and a little raisin in the mouth.

Drinkability is high on this one. It is a really good quad and I would love to get my hands on some more so I can cellar it for awhile. Solid beer all around.

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%

Opened a 2006 vintage I have been keeping in the cellar for over 3 years now. As soon as I twisted the wire off, the cork went flying with little more than a touch and a loud champagne-esque pop. Poured a beautiful dark brown color with a dense but small off-white head. Big aromas of malt and sugary fruit. Flavor was much of the same with very rich alcohol soaked fruit, raisins and figs being the dominate notes. The beer has aged very well but because of the richness I found the drinkability to be somewhat low. An excellent after dinner drink or one to enjoy on a cold winter's night.

4.26/5  rDev +7%

A: Nice adrk brown with really thick head. Head actually continues to grow as beer sits, eventually settling and leaving a nice lacing.

S: Lots of brown sugar and phenols with some acaramel and vanilla. Lot of clove as well with hints of banana. Slight alcohol perception.

T/M: This was all brown sugar sweentness with hints of clove, fades to a sharp bite with some spice and chewiness before finishing with some alcohol burn.

D: Good.

Ovr: Very nice quad. Lots of sugary sweentess balanced with some banana and clove.

4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 750 in to a goblet; a dark brown with a wonderful creamy head that quickly deflated. Nice stickage down the glass.
Smelled of dark fruits, a little alcohol, and malts. Very rich aroma.
Taste was really smooth with dark fruits, complex malts and hops, etc. Delicious, as good as any Qud I've had.
Mouthfeel was great; nice and creamy and full.
Drinkability was good; so tasty you want to drink this forever; but watch the ABV!
This was every bit as good for me as St. Bernardus and Rochefort. A winner.

4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

750ml pours mahogany with ruby highlights. Foamy white head. A lot of malt and dark fruit in the aroma, along with a touch of candied sugar. Super thick and creamy mouthful. Taste is heavily malted, with molasses, prunes, port, a touch of sweetness. Dark fruit and malt last forever in the finish, and just enough alcohol warmth to make me the happiest guy in town on this cold and windy night.

Another incredible treat from Southampton. Who said LI was a beer wasteland?

4.82/5  rDev +21.1%

Oh yes, this was very tasty. I was quite happy to be able to try this one, and I hope I have an opportunity to try it again sometime.

It was a dark reddish brown colour, pretty. It smelled great, belgian-y, sweet like brown sugar, very fruity/grapey and spicy. Tasted even better! Yep, you guessed it- it made me smile real big. It tasted sweet and fruity and spicy like it smelled, but with a nice alcoholic feel to it. It was kind of a flavor-burst, that's how I might describe it. Gosh, I could really go for some more right about now... or anytime for that matter. Mouthfeel was good, not quite syrupy, so that added to the drinkability. It felt nice and soft in my mouth and felt a little warming going down to my tummy... but it didnt taste like 12%, so if I had more I would've drank more and probably would've been late for work today. Good one!

3.56/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Beautiful dark reddish brown brew with huge frothy head that crackles and pops till it settles down staying huge but becoming a soft rocky cap.

S: Smells of caramel and cloves with a dry lemony astringent finish (this seems to be apparent in many Southampton beers).

T: Sweet over ripened fruit; banana, raspberry; dominate the flavor profile. There is a lot of sugar left over in this beer.

M: Medium body with syrupy characteristics although it is not necessarily thick. Soft foamy carbonation that persists but stands no chance against the sweet flavor.

D: Too sweet for me to drink quickly. Perhaps if paired with the right food, maybe a cheese, this beer would go down easier but by itself on a Monday evening it becomes an event.

Notes: The strange lemon astringent aroma I smelled that I noted seems to be found in a lot of Southampton's beers. It could be due to a common yeast used in many of there beers. Anyone have any thoughts? Overall this is a good beer from a great brewery. However, I am not really into beers that could be put in the dessert category unless they are drank in the right context. I think I would like it better if it were more highly attenuated. I'd give it more than just one more try though.

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a dark mahogany into my maudite snifter from a corked and caged bottle. Small head with minimal lacing.

Smells of sweet malt and alcohol.

Taste of sweet caramel with some mild alcohol after tatse.

Feels almost full bodies with little carbonantion.

Nice smooth sipper to spend an evening with...

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Clear, coppery pour, with a dense, tan head. Decent lacing.

S: Caramel, toffee, raisins, sweet malt.

T: Raisins, toffee, sweet caramel malt, fruity esters, Belgian yeast, alcohol. A little sweet. Cherry notes in the finish.

M: Medium mouthfeel. A little sticky.

D: Almost like a really strong dubbel. Tasty, a little woody. Nice.

3.62/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bomber, corked and caged, poured into chalice glass

Looks soda like, near opaque dark redish brown with a small head which quickly becomes a thin sticky lacin smell is deep with sweet dark fruits, grapes, cherry vanilla soda taste is super sweet syrupy, and sugary; thick molasses, again, heavy on the dark fruits, coats the tongue with heavy sugary grape/raisin/etc flavors 9.9abv it's an enjoyable slow sipper, a bit too sweet in my opinion but no complaints as I enjoy the rest of the bottle. Carbonation is good, not too much not too little, slightly warming alcohol. Probably will wait a while before I get this again, but it's certainly a great brew. Cheers

3.94/5  rDev -1%

Had a at joint Southampton/Brooklyn event at Effin Gruven. Served in a Effin Gruven snifter (how appropriate).

Appearance - Dark, very dark, almost stout like. I will admit however the bar in which this was consumed is pretty much lit entirely with candles, and then the light off the TV's, anyway...this beer looks as flat as can be, it my have a dark sinister look to it, but it has a whooping zero head. Moving on...

Smell - Okay, starting to get better. Smells of dark, dark fruit, caramel, and burnt sugar. Not too shabby. You also get a some faint tropical fruit smells in there as well.

Taste - Again, getting a little better, but just a little. Dark fruits dominate the palate, raisins and plums, almost as if they were converted directly into an alcoholic beverage. After that you get some sugary caramel and a little bit of the tropicalness I described in the nose, interesting and tasty.

Mouthfeel - Went down easy and slow, the alcohol is nearly undectectable and theres not a whole lot of carbonation going on in there. Would be a nice beer to pair with select desserts.

Overall - I haven't had many Belgian style quads, and of the ones I have had (Westy 12), it seems unfair to rate this along with them. Decent beer, not bad for the style, glad I got to drink this at the event. After having it however there is no way I will ever pick up a bottle given the average retail price on this one, there are just better and cheaper options.

1.32/5  rDev -66.8%

I guess this is supposed to be along the lines of St. Bernardus Abt or Rochefort 10. If that's the case, it fails on every count. Even the colour isn't right, being a good bit too pale. The aroma is bland, but fortunately doesn't betray the horror of the taste. Way too sweet and lacking any complexity. Where are the dark fruit flavours? Where's the bitterness? Where's the balance?

A terrible attempt at one of my favourite types of beer.

2.41/5  rDev -39.4%

Poured a dark copper color with a nice white head. No carbonation problems here, but this bottle was consumed relatively fresh after purchasing from a reputable store. Strong aromas of caramel sugar, fruit, spicy yeast, alcohol, and perhaps a bit of finishing hops are present. The flavor is initially very sweet with an almost saccharine, diet cola taste. An alcoholic, slightly bitter, and strangely meaty/band-aid aftertaste is present.

Overall, a very strange brew, and definitely not a good representation of the style. The label indicates that it was brewed in Royersford, PA, which would mean that it's Sly Fox contract brewed, so I'm not sure how this compares to the original. However, SF did do a good job on the Brewer's Art bottles, so I'm not sure what went wrong here.

4.49/5  rDev +12.8%

wow. Thanks to Spence at Southampton for this treat. This was bottled at Southampton so it's probably a bit different thn most folks are tasting these days. We tasted this after it had been aging for about 20 months. The context was in a blind quad tasting featuring this beer, westy 12, rochefort 10, & St. Bernardus 60th Anniversary. The blind winner...Southampton. With Westvleteren coming in at second. Hard to believe?
At first glance there was nothing particularly special about it. Moderate head retention. Moderate clarity. Copperish brown with beige head that disapated fairly quickly.
My nose however felt differently. Beautifully rich, sweet maltiness, balanced by heavy apple esters. Complex array of smells including caramel, bananas, and pears, and general fruityness. Not as bready as some other quads i've enjoyed. Very distinctive, but subtle smoke aroma, which drew my nose deeper into the Westmalle glass I was sampling from.
Flava was mighty complex. Wow. This has some of the heaviest apple esters I've tasted in this style. Apple cinnamon oatmeal comes to mind. Some pears coming through again in the flavor. Balanced lingering finish, with alcohol well hidden. This beer is dangerously drinkable. Glad to say we have two more bottles of this aging!

3.38/5  rDev -15.1%

See weare138's review. I believe I'm also drinking a Sly Fox contract bottle that I've had in my cellar for a while. A somewhat unpleasant drink, cloyingly sweet. Figs, raisins, sugar. Not the sort of skilled brew I used to enjoy from Southampton. Not worth the calories.

« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »