Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Southampton Abbot 12 - Southampton Publick House

Southampton Abbot 12Southampton Abbot 12

Southampton Publick House visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2003

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
4.17/5  rDev +4.8%

I tried this from a 750mL bottle on Dark Lord Day (thanks Andrew). This is one of only 2 beers I'll rate from that day (out of God knows how many others I tried "splashes" of), because it really stood out and I was able to get a nice pour (I reciprocated with Westvleteren 8). It was an awesome day.

The beer had the murky brown appearance (good thing) of St Bernardus 12 but not so much of a foam poof as I normally get from the latter. The aroma and flavor definitely compared with the St Bernardus (I assume this was what Southampton intended), but were less rich and overpowering. The nose in particular was beautiful, I kept sniffing the glass. The viscosity was up there enough to keep a thick feeling in my mouth, overall it was really well done.

I'm so glad I got a chance to try it, I've been searching for it part time for so long, it just never shows up anywhere I travel to in NY. Thanks again Andrew!

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

Purchased at New Beer Distributors in NYC, poured into a cervoise with a temperature of somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees.
The lack of pop in the removal of the cork had me a bit nervous but there were enough bubbles in the glass to put me at ease.
So far, lookin pretty good but not stunning. Has a nice color, but barely any head with a hard pour that goes away quickly and very little lacing is to be found.
Odors are pleasant, but anemic. Some sweetness is there and some malty nuttiness that you might find in a rich dark German beer.
Flavor is WAY sugary. Frangelico comes to mind from time to time but not quite so nutty. Brown sugar candy time. Store brand cola. I paired some of this with a flavorful spicy stew and this brew cut through all that and THEN some. Pretty one dimensional though I happen to enjoy that one dimension.
Mouthfeel is definitely thin for the style; has a slickness to it and is not cloying. Not very traditional as far as my experience tells me. Maybe something new is being attempted.
Southampton Abbot 12 reminds me of the one bottle of Kasteelbier Brune I've had, though the Southampton sample is probably less aged than the Kasteel. I've also had lots more beer since I had the Kasteel. As it stands now for me, Southampton Abbot 12 is a middle of the road quadrupel. This bottle might have needed some age to it in order to develop more flavors (no born on date to be found but I can tell from the label that this is from the new line of Southampton brews).
Right before this fellow I had a 12 ounce bottle of Three Philosophers, and I must say (no Ommegang bias intended) that Three Philosophers wins in every way.

4.37/5  rDev +9.8%

2006 vintage, 750ml bottle received in trade with cooperrip, but I saved it for a special occasion. I’m drinking this to celebrate my two hundred and fiftieth-beer karma point. Chilled below room and poured rather passively into Watou goblet. Head rose to nice one finger thickness and now stands steady about a centimeter above the surface. The head is a creamy off white and the body is a dark/black cola color lightening up toward the bottom, which is a subtle rusty amber color, looks sort of like a plum as a whole. Smells of vanilla and hay (especially when its cold), wonderful dark fruit esters, raisins, rummed plums, dates, maybe some rock candy, slight sherry notes, the tiniest hints of anise, with no real hop presence. As with most quads this beer has to be allowed to warm up to grasp it’s full aromatic potential. Taste is slightly sweet with strong esters and malt character. I get strong date character seconded by raisins, hints of anise and earth plus a slightly boozy tinge toward the finish and an absolute alcohol warmth. The bitterness is just enough to balance the sweet malt and alcohol flavors. This is not a session beer it’s the sort of beer you drink slowly and if you drink the 750ml by your self its all you drink. Wonderful beer, great/interesting quad sad I can’t get it here in Chicago.

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

Bottle courtesy of Adrian910ss: Poured a deep burgundy color ale with a big off-white foamy head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with some hints of dry fruits (figs and plums). Taste consisted of some sweet malt with some very subtle Belgian yeast and some very subtle dry fruits such as figs and plums. Body is slightly above average with no alcohol discernable. I don’t know if my expectation were too high or if I got another so-so bottle of Southampton but I wasn’t impressed at all and thought this was quite far from the staple of the style (Rochefort, Westy, St-Bernadus).

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

750ml bottle obtained via trade with Plaid75. Thanks for the opportunity... 2006 vintage.

Poured into a heavy glass chalice, formed a 1/4" light tan head over the slightly cloudy reddish brown brew. Head is quickly down to an uneven layer of bubbles, with average to good lacing. Aroma is lightly fruity and spiced dark maltiness. Flavor is just what the nose portended, with little to no alcohol taste, but the warming throat and tingly lips tell you that, like those old pasta sauce commercials used to say "It's in there...". Mouthfeel and drinkability are excellent as well. Unsurprisingly, another excellent offering for the 750 Series. Wish these were distro-ed just a little bit further out, but I'll trade and/or travel to find them.

4.3/5  rDev +8%

Shared a large bottle of this stunning brew at the Hop Devil's Belgian room in NYC. Nose is of Rum, raisins and glowing alcohol and malt. Shining and glowing dark brown in color, murky with a dark tan head, warming and tasty, big flavors of more rum, raisins, ripe dark fruits. World class sipper, go get some, but it away for awhile or enjoy right now, fine, fine creation from SHampton.

4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured an opaque dark purple color with black and crimson hues and a soft tan colored head that dissipated quickly. The surface was covered in small and medium sized bubbles that retained their shape for quite awhile. Aromas of hard candy, roasted malt, toffee, and plums. This beer is filled with flavor; dried fruits, sweet malt, sweet candy, sublte hops, etc. Well balanced, considering the style, with just the right touch of carbonation and texture to make it easy to drink despite the high alcohol content. A mildly bitter finish seals the deal. Easy to sip and enjoy with a variety of foods. In my opinion, this beer is on par with some of the finest Belgian beers.

4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

Legendary, complex, vinous nose of dates, cherries, plums, caramel and chocolate.

Tastes fruity and quite complex with nice woven caramel and chocolate flavors as well. Big body, which is typical of Belgian Trappist ales. Well hidden alcohol. In my opinion this is right up there with Rochefort, Westveteren, St. Bernardus and is one of the best darker Belgian styles that is brewed in the states.

4.8/5  rDev +20.6%

Picked up a bottle at Shoreline Beverage on Lawg-i-lan last week. 2006 bottle cap info.

Into a tulip with a dark auburn mahagony hue topped with a dense compact sandy beige head cap. Not much lace to speak of possibly due to the 12% ABV but there is some drippy ice hither and yon.

Deep aromatic caramelized sugar scents. Notes of pastry and rum torte dessert cake. Reminds me of Rochefort 10 or 12.

First swigs: Dense caramel candy and sugar daddy. A touch of liquer or almond extract. Doughy flavors are pronounced as well. Dry finish with a linger of toffee and Kaluha. Dark fruit has a field day her with date and fig all over the palate. A creamy butter pecan ice cream malt flavor balances out the brew.

Feel is frothy and will cascade off the tongue into a fluffy pillow. Quite airy and light bodied with the 12% kicker quality hanging in the background.

Last swigs: Liquid butter pecan ice cream. Perfect timing as I have been on quite the quad kick as of late. This is a kick ass quad that stands its ground against Westy 12 anyday. The first time that I had this beer I didn't know what a quad was. Now I do. Wow!

Beer is good. Happy domestic quad beering.

4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

had a chance to break out the St. Bernardus chalice that I got free from Bierkraft for winning the Imbiber's caption contest. And what a beer to try in in. 2003 vintage Abbot 12.

Pours a deep barown/garnet read color with a 1/4" head that pretty much stays for the whole drink, very nice Belgian lace. The aroma is sweet malt, raisins, yeast, some roastyness. This is a beautiful drinking beer, full of sweet malt, alcohol, yeasty goodness, fruity, warming flavors. I'd imagine that if I went to Belgium, this is what beer tastes like, makes you forget that other abbey beer, you know the one that starts with a Ch.

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2003 edition courtesy of a beer trade with Biruchan.

Pours a rich-looking deep brown in color with a thin layer of tannish-colored head. Aromas are impressive, with ETOH-soaked raisins dominating. I'm not a big fan of raisins in general, but this one wowed me. Other dark fruits are noted as well, as is bannana. Flavor is complex, but very well-done. Lots of dark fruit flavors drizzled in rum mix with an array of chocolate/toffee/roasted coffee beans. Aftertaste stays with you. Big and beefy mouthfeel on this one. A real palate-coater. How can this be 12% ABV? No warming, no burning from the alcohol in this beauty. Superbly balanced and very, very drinkable. I must find more of this.

Huge BA thanks to Biruchan for this gem.

4.22/5  rDev +6%

Honeyed amber, light khaki head that was nice and fluffy but left so quickly... Sharply vineous with scents of alcohol, smells like a belgian. Warm and full of alcohol, it heats your tongue so nice! Bit of sweetness. This just feels soooo good in your mouth, wow... Just great flavors blended together so nicely.

4.12/5  rDev +3.5%

Deep dark brown, light ruby hints. Small off-white head. Big, deep and juicy aromas of dark fruits (grapes, dates, banana, figs) and chocolatey malt (not as proeminent as rochefort 10). Sweet doughy yeast, cookie-ish in fact gets along well with the toffee or caramel ice cream reminiscent malt. Palate procures a light tartness which is not unpleasant. Very fruity from the beginning to the end, extremely malty leading even to a slight roasty bite. This may not be totally world-class, but it isn’t too far, very well-built for sure, complex, but also very sweet and in need of a few years to reach its full potentials imo. This was a 2003 bottle. Mouthfeel is awesome though, creamy, smooth, well rounded big body with carpet soft carbonation. Again, 2 thumbs up for biruchan and schoolteacher!

4.36/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This big-ass (750ml) bottle, 2002 vintage, pours a deep, dark molasses-brown color, with little, if any, light penetrating the liquid, save for the very edges of the glass. Head is an extremely fine, creamy layer of bubbles, light tan in color. It sticks around all day, albeit in that thin mode. Around the edges of the goblet it remains thicker, and looks creamy like the head on a Stout. Lacing is a-ok as well. Nose is understated, with fruity/candy notes. Wish it were more robust. Lovely mouthfeel! It has a more than medium yet not quite full body, and it is ever-so-smooth and silky on the tongue! Flavor abounds with fruit and sweetness! Mmmm! Starts up-front big on the dark fruit, then sweetness, like brown sugar, hits the palate and lingers and lingers. And it doesn't go dry on you like some biers until the very end, and then only briefly. Lovely bier! Anywhere, anytime!! Zum Wohl!!

overall: 4.35
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 5

4.71/5  rDev +18.3%

2003 Bottling, Sampled May, 2004
Pours a hazy dark amber color. Rich aromas of dark fruit waft from my glass as I pour it. The carbonation is quite low, with only a wispy head, when roused it shows a brown color. Fig dominates the aroma, though it is joined by dark caramel notes, almost a coca-cola type quality, earth, wood, alcohol, brown sugar. Quite a rich aroma, it is super malty almost like a strong bock. The beer itself was some what lighter bodied than I was expecting, still rich though with an almost meaty quality to it. It is fairly sweet with an astringent finish that seems to be a combination of alcohol and yeast character. Tastes like it has just started to oxidize, perhaps, this adds to the rich maltiness of this brew. This beer is redolent of dark concentrated fruit; fig, raisin, prunes, and a hint of orange in the finish. There are some banana and clove notes here as well. As this beer warms up the concentrated fruit notes really picks up. All I can say is that this is deceptively good. Rich, complex, and hearty what more do you need.

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

2003 - This is what I like. A deep, dark ruby beer with a fruity/spicy aroma. It is very malty and quite complex. It is warming from the alcohol, though I do not know what the ABV is. It finishes dry and slight tart. I wish I bought a second bottle to see what it was like in a few years.

The beer pours a hazy brownish umber, topped with a thin collar of head. Looking closely, you can see tiny clumps of yeast floating in suspension. Kind of like Sea Monkeys! I generally like hazy beers, so that's cool. I'd be interested in seeing this beer properly settled, though.
The aroma is hugely malty, a distinct toffee quality, gushing with sweet candi sugar. Very nice. The fruitiness is impressive as well. Really quite estery, with a nose burning thinner-like quality. Coupled with some alcohol, this is really intense. Lots of fig aroma, with some banana and apple. A bit of clove spiciness, as well.
Taking my first sip, I was a bit surprised with the near still carbonation. Some toffee maltiness peeks through, but a gigantic boozey fusel alcohol flavor dominates everything, finishing almost whiskey-like. Some fig flavor peeks through as well, with a touch of spicy yeast towards the end, but it's mostly incinerated under the alcohol. Full bodied, with a hard liquor feel, mainly because of the lack of carbonation and huge fusel flavor.
I've been assured that the alcohol subsides considerably with time, and it becomes quite a good beer. As for the still carbonation, perhaps I got a bad bottle, or the bottle conditioning didn't take off? I'm certainly going to wind up with another bottle at some point, and I'll re-review appropriately. I'm open to anyone who feels like sending me one!

4.82/5  rDev +21.1%

Oh yes, this was very tasty. I was quite happy to be able to try this one, and I hope I have an opportunity to try it again sometime.

It was a dark reddish brown colour, pretty. It smelled great, belgian-y, sweet like brown sugar, very fruity/grapey and spicy. Tasted even better! Yep, you guessed it- it made me smile real big. It tasted sweet and fruity and spicy like it smelled, but with a nice alcoholic feel to it. It was kind of a flavor-burst, that's how I might describe it. Gosh, I could really go for some more right about now... or anytime for that matter. Mouthfeel was good, not quite syrupy, so that added to the drinkability. It felt nice and soft in my mouth and felt a little warming going down to my tummy... but it didnt taste like 12%, so if I had more I would've drank more and probably would've been late for work today. Good one!

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

750ml bottle: 2003 edition: This is a dark ruby red brew with a small off-white head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving no lacing. The aromas are of strong dark fruits, spices, belgian candy sugar, yeast, and deeply roasted malts. The taste is fruity, boozy, and quite complex, I can only imagine how this beer will change over the next few years...The mouthfeel is creamy and the drinkability is damn good as well. 12%? You've gotta be kidding me. I had fun polishing off this 750. Cheers!

4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

750ml pours mahogany with ruby highlights. Foamy white head. A lot of malt and dark fruit in the aroma, along with a touch of candied sugar. Super thick and creamy mouthful. Taste is heavily malted, with molasses, prunes, port, a touch of sweetness. Dark fruit and malt last forever in the finish, and just enough alcohol warmth to make me the happiest guy in town on this cold and windy night.

Another incredible treat from Southampton. Who said LI was a beer wasteland?

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last