Southampton Abbot 12 - Southampton Publick House

Southampton Abbot 12Southampton Abbot 12

Southampton Publick House visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
4.72/5  rDev +18.9%

2003 Bottling, Sampled May, 2004
Pours a hazy dark amber color. Rich aromas of dark fruit waft from my glass as I pour it. The carbonation is quite low, with only a wispy head, when roused it shows a brown color. Fig dominates the aroma, though it is joined by dark caramel notes, almost a coca-cola type quality, earth, wood, alcohol, brown sugar. Quite a rich aroma, it is super malty almost like a strong bock. The beer itself was some what lighter bodied than I was expecting, still rich though with an almost meaty quality to it. It is fairly sweet with an astringent finish that seems to be a combination of alcohol and yeast character. Tastes like it has just started to oxidize, perhaps, this adds to the rich maltiness of this brew. This beer is redolent of dark concentrated fruit; fig, raisin, prunes, and a hint of orange in the finish. There are some banana and clove notes here as well. As this beer warms up the concentrated fruit notes really picks up. All I can say is that this is deceptively good. Rich, complex, and hearty what more do you need.

Gueuzedude, May 16, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

2003 - This is what I like. A deep, dark ruby beer with a fruity/spicy aroma. It is very malty and quite complex. It is warming from the alcohol, though I do not know what the ABV is. It finishes dry and slight tart. I wish I bought a second bottle to see what it was like in a few years.

ark57, Feb 27, 2004
2.93/5  rDev -26.2%

The beer pours a hazy brownish umber, topped with a thin collar of head. Looking closely, you can see tiny clumps of yeast floating in suspension. Kind of like Sea Monkeys! I generally like hazy beers, so that's cool. I'd be interested in seeing this beer properly settled, though.
The aroma is hugely malty, a distinct toffee quality, gushing with sweet candi sugar. Very nice. The fruitiness is impressive as well. Really quite estery, with a nose burning thinner-like quality. Coupled with some alcohol, this is really intense. Lots of fig aroma, with some banana and apple. A bit of clove spiciness, as well.
Taking my first sip, I was a bit surprised with the near still carbonation. Some toffee maltiness peeks through, but a gigantic boozey fusel alcohol flavor dominates everything, finishing almost whiskey-like. Some fig flavor peeks through as well, with a touch of spicy yeast towards the end, but it's mostly incinerated under the alcohol. Full bodied, with a hard liquor feel, mainly because of the lack of carbonation and huge fusel flavor.
I've been assured that the alcohol subsides considerably with time, and it becomes quite a good beer. As for the still carbonation, perhaps I got a bad bottle, or the bottle conditioning didn't take off? I'm certainly going to wind up with another bottle at some point, and I'll re-review appropriately. I'm open to anyone who feels like sending me one!

UnionMade, Feb 02, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +21.7%

Oh yes, this was very tasty. I was quite happy to be able to try this one, and I hope I have an opportunity to try it again sometime.

It was a dark reddish brown colour, pretty. It smelled great, belgian-y, sweet like brown sugar, very fruity/grapey and spicy. Tasted even better! Yep, you guessed it- it made me smile real big. It tasted sweet and fruity and spicy like it smelled, but with a nice alcoholic feel to it. It was kind of a flavor-burst, that's how I might describe it. Gosh, I could really go for some more right about now... or anytime for that matter. Mouthfeel was good, not quite syrupy, so that added to the drinkability. It felt nice and soft in my mouth and felt a little warming going down to my tummy... but it didnt taste like 12%, so if I had more I would've drank more and probably would've been late for work today. Good one!

erica, Jan 09, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

750ml bottle: 2003 edition: This is a dark ruby red brew with a small off-white head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving no lacing. The aromas are of strong dark fruits, spices, belgian candy sugar, yeast, and deeply roasted malts. The taste is fruity, boozy, and quite complex, I can only imagine how this beer will change over the next few years...The mouthfeel is creamy and the drinkability is damn good as well. 12%? You've gotta be kidding me. I had fun polishing off this 750. Cheers!

francisweizen, Jan 09, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +12.1%

750ml pours mahogany with ruby highlights. Foamy white head. A lot of malt and dark fruit in the aroma, along with a touch of candied sugar. Super thick and creamy mouthful. Taste is heavily malted, with molasses, prunes, port, a touch of sweetness. Dark fruit and malt last forever in the finish, and just enough alcohol warmth to make me the happiest guy in town on this cold and windy night.

Another incredible treat from Southampton. Who said LI was a beer wasteland?

Stingray5, Dec 15, 2003