Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Southampton Imperial Porter - Southampton Publick House

Southampton Imperial PorterSouthampton Imperial Porter

Southampton Publick House visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-18-2009

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured very dark, i can faintly see some light towards the bottom of the glass, revealing a rich syrurrupy brown color. not much of a head.

In the smell i get coffee notes, a smokey, roasted malt aroma also arises. It's nice.

The coffee definitely carries over into the taste. the smokiness is there, also getting toffee. I was expecting it to be quite dry, but that is not the case. some mild bittering in the tail end of the taste. pretty good, but just a little lacking, not quite as strong in flavor as I had hoped, however it completely masks the higher ABV of this beer. not too much of an alcoholic taste.

mouthfeel is light-medium bodied. not much carbonation, some warming in the mouth.

Pretty drinkable beer, there is nothing offensive about it that is off putting.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottle to oversized snifter. Looks decent; pitch plack with no head or lacing. Smells okay; very mild, but malty. Tastes good; the flavor comes through much better when imbibed. Palate is good too. Overall, a good beer that I would definitely have again.

3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

Look: Coffee color, tan head, nice lacing

Smell: Coffee color, tan head, nice lacing

Taste: Up Front: coffee, chocolate, cinnamon, burnt toast. Finish: chocolate, dark bread

Mouthfeel: Dry, slight carbonation

Drinkability: The 7.2% ABV is well hidden. About 2 and out for me

Overall Impression: This is a solid porter. If you like the style, you won't be disappointed!

2.56/5  rDev -27.9%

12oz bottle poured into a goblet

I have recently begun an attempt to find my perfect porter available on the east coast. My choice on the west is Deschutes Black Butte and in the Midwest it is Founders Porter. After a recent move to the east the search is on...

Pours a thin translucent brown with a this off-white head that fades quickly.

Smells very sweet - caramel malts, maybe a bit of vanilla, almost reminiscent of a Dopplebock. Certainly not what I am looking for in a porter.

Tastes similarly sweet with a slight hint of roasted malts, again not what I expect from a porter, but it is an enjoyable drink.

This is a very light porter, a bit thin and watery but nicely carbonated.

Overall, this is not what I am looking for in a porter. A bit thin and overly sweet and just the wrong profile for me. The price was great ($8.49/6-pack) and this was a pleasant drink but in the end, I probably won't be picking this up again.

3.11/5  rDev -12.4%

A-Dark black but brown around the edges. Very little tan head that dissipates quickly.

S-Carmel, brown sugar, licorice.

T-Carmel, brown sugar, licorice. A little alcohol on the finish.

M-Low carbonation, very smooth.

D-Nice aroma, smooth taste. Easy drinker. I sipped on this for about an hour.

4.14/5  rDev +16.6%

I had this on tap at Taco Mac Mall of Georgia in a 20 oz mug.

First off, I've read a lot of the reviews on this beer and I disagree with most. I think this is exactly what an imperial porter should taste like. I do taste the alcohol, but I expect it in an imperial style beer. Ok, let's get down to specifics

A- just what I want to see from a beer not on nitro, a nice foamy head that fades into compact bubbles that leave lacing all down the glass as you drink.

S - probably my only gripe about the beer for me - no discernible smell of anything.

T - I taste alcohol almost right away, but in this case that's ok. It's smooth and warming, not in your face. Otherwise you get the melding of background flavors. You expect hints of chocolate, but its really not there. Yet I still like this beer. Maybe I like it for as much as what is there as what isn't.

D - I think I could drink quite a few of these, but I would be sorry.

3.11/5  rDev -12.4%

A:Black, deep, dark brown.
S: Surprisingly weak aroma. Light caramel, chocolate, but mostly kerosene and alcohol.
T: Immediate sour cherry and chocolate (see chocolate rum cordials), fruit esters prominent with underlying bitter cocoa, tart finish.
M: Light and minearly.
D: A good session beer, despite being an imperial porter. Flavorful and light for the style. Expect more (taste and kick) out of an imperial.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Not someone who gets terribly excited over porters this one wasn't bad. It's no old engine oil, which is my favorite porter to date, but it's good. I'm more of a stout drinker and when I saw imperial in the name, my expectations were set for something more robust than this. That said, it was enjoyable, just not my favorite profile.

4.15/5  rDev +16.9%

A: Dark brown pour, thin tan head. Okay lacing, but the head faded quickly.

S: Roast coffee, hoarshound candy, molasses, caramel.

T: Roasted malt, molasses, hoarshound candy, brown bread.

M: Medium-full. Nice.

D: Highly drinkable. Very flavorful. Doesn't seem big enough to consider as a Baltic Porter. Very tasty, though.

1.8/5  rDev -49.3%

Bottle label reads "Brewed in Latrobe PA", poured into a Duvel tulip.

The beer looked good, a nice dark color with a thick white head.

The aroma was very faint, slightly sour, and slightly... metallic? I couldn't smell any roasted grains, or chocolate, or anything else I expect to smell in an imperial porter.

This beer deceived me. I expected a robust ale, with chocolate, toffee, and caramel flavours. Instead it was thin, no chocolate, toffee, or caramel, and tasted like a standard lager. Not a black lager, mind you, as I love those. No, this was a cross between Yuengling Lager and Sam Adams Black. If Yuengling made a black lager, this is what it might taste like.

The alcohol was hidden to be nonexistent. You could drink this all night, if you wanted a stronger, more flavourful, black version of Yuengling Lager. I, however, wanted an imperial porter, and dislike the taste of Yuengling. I would be happy to never drink this again.

3.61/5  rDev +1.7%

Not much in the aroma department. This tastes and feels like a typical porter. I'm not sure what makes this imperial. Typically imperial indicates its extra-ness in ingredients.

Color wise this pours a dark coffee-ish - there is no clarity as you cannot see through it.

Aroma is forgettable or almost non-existant.

The reason i rate this highly is its drinkability. I probably could finish a six pack of this.

I would recommend it as an imperial porter does not cater towards repeated bottles in a single night.

thanks for reading.

3.43/5  rDev -3.4%

Dark brown, small head.
Just a touch of roasted malt in nose but very faint.
Slight maltiness, some roast flavors.
Pretty middle of the road.
Med low mouthfeel.
It's a decent drinking beer, but lacks the body, flavor and sweetness of an "imperial" or "baltic" porter.

3.38/5  rDev -4.8%

Aromas of heavy malt and hints of chocoate. Very promising based on the aroma.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth and inviting.

Taste starts out not too overwhelming. Hard to find any distinctive flavors in the initial sip. However, it does finish with nice hints of milk chocolate and malt.

Decent porter, but not at the level of Smutynose Robust Porter!

2.12/5  rDev -40.3%

I'm surprised how horrible this is. Robust? Nooo. It reminds me of a dark coors light or something. There is nothing good about it at all. Very disappointing, especially given how much I paid for it. Wish I hadn't bought a six pack. Yuck. My husband thinks it is just old...perhaps. Not good.

4.35/5  rDev +22.5%

L: Dark black mahogany, Red hint when held to light. Moderate head slight brown/tan color, looks pleasant. Not much lacing.

S: Chocolate toffee, sweet bitterness. Sugary milk chocolate.

T: Very tasty, nice balance. Has a great porter taste. Good strong dark roasty maltyness with touch of sweetness. Tastes like burnt chocolate with a great porter roasty bitterness. Touch of hops.

M: Very good, thick but not syrupy. Light enough to still be smooth.

D: I'm almost done my first already. Very tasty porter. I really enjoy this beer. Will drink again. Good balance of malty sweetness with a touch of bitter roast and hops.

3.42/5  rDev -3.7%

This is discribed as a "robust dark ale" and I will agree with that discription. The head is a fine foam, off white and slightly brown. Even though I tilted the glass for the pour, the head overflowed the glass. This beer definately needs a pilsner glass.

My first thought was of molasses and I enjoyed the taste and the lack of a bitter aftertaste. In the past, I limited my dark ales to Guinness. However, I like this ale.

There is little smell, which surprised me. It's a quiet ale that waits to be sampled with a curious sip. And then a knowledgable taste.

The only thing that is a slight drawback is the encouragement to have another. I like one beer when I indulge. One. So the beer I have shouldn't make me fight the inner cumpulsion to have another. And perhaps another.

But it doesn't lead to snacking and that is a good thing.

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last