Southampton Imperial Russian Stout - Southampton Publick House

Southampton Publick House visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Southampton Imperial Russian Stout Alström Bros

Popped in celebration of finding an apartment with my girlfriend, a 750ml bottle from the 2011 vintage cellared since the release poured into a Southampton IRS release day snifter. Bottle number 39. I've had this on tap but this is the bottled version.

Look: A little gun smoke once the cork is popped and the pour reveals a solid, black body and an aggressive pour yields a thick, creamy mocha colored head that retains until the last sip and leaves sheets of sticky lace behind as I drink. Exceptional looking beer.

Smell: just how I remembered it from the release day, except a lot stronger. Once its out of the bottle, sitting on the table in front of me, I'm already picking up some aromas from this one! Roasted malt, chocolate fudge, coffee and alcohol stand out to me. No one aroma seems to dominate and all of it smells amazing.

Taste: I remember now why this is my favorite IRS of all time. Big, dark chocolate, subtle coffee, roasted grain, hints of vanilla and dark fruit and a slight alcohol taste. Wonderfully complex without being too aggressive.

Feel: this is the area where this beer has improved most when comparing the bottle to the tap version. Full bodied and perhaps the creamiest beer I've ever had. The texture is almost like melted whipped cream. The beer is dry and carbonation is spot on for the style. Its one you have to force yourself not to gulp down.

Overall: exceptional. I've never given straight 5's before but I can't see how this beer could improve in any aspect. For the next release, I doubt I'll be trading any of my bottles of this because its really a big step above the other release day stouts I've had to this point. I can't wait for the next special occasion we have so I can pop another bottle... Cheers!

4.99/5  rDev +18.5%

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

Big thanks to Cory for hooking me up with this brew! 2010 release #59/500.

A- Body is a big, thick, and vicious opaque motor oil black hue. A 1/2 foamy dark tan head emerges after the initial pour- this fades to 1/4 finger and has great retention from there. Some lacing is left behind in the glass.

S-Wonderful, complex, and perfect for an RIS. A perfect balance of dark chocolate, anise, a hint of licorice, a hint of sweetness, dark fruit (particularly plum), a hint of alcohol, and a slightly roasted malt background. There is so much going on in the nose and there has to be the perfect balance in order to be able to pick this all up.

T-Taste follows suit and has the same wonderful balance and complexity of the nose. There is a lot going on up front but I am able to pick up anise, dark chocolate, licorice, and plum. The overall impression of the initial flavor is slightly sweet, slightly fruity, yet there is a dry and bitter component that keeps the perfect balance. As these initial flavors intensify for the finish a moderate roasted malt flavor and slight accompanying bitterness come through to give this brew a slight roasted component that compliments the other flavors well. The flavors fade slowly as a mild to moderate alcohol heat arises and fades with them.

M-Carbonation is medium to high. Body is thick an viscous with a wonderful, exceptionally smooth and creamy mouthfeel and no alcohol consistency comes through.

D- I was expecting this brew to be very good-but it goes above and beyond the call of duty. It's exceptional and my favorite stout so far (I don't foresee it being topped anytime soon). It has all the components of a typical RIS but the balance and complexity of this brew are exceptional. The flavors here are really big but its so smooth. The alcohol is not hidden but it adds to the complexity of it all. Its too bad this was consumed on a beautiful day in April because it would be perfect on a snowy day.

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

On-Cask @ David Copperfields Cask Fest. I travelled 2 hours on a bus to drink some of this brew, and I have to say that it was worth the trip. Dark, dark nearly opaque black with a head of strong Italian espresso coloured foam. Looking down at this beer is like staring into a black hole. The aromas are very enticing. Dark belgian chocolate, deeply roasted strong coffee, hints of currant and licorice, burnt sugar/caramel aromas, and maybe just a whiff of a Vanilla/alcohol like scent. Whilst these aromas are excellent, they are all a bit subdued, and not "in your face" enough for me to warrant a 5 rating for smell. The taste is exceptional. Roasted malts, Espresso beans/grinds, DARK Belgian chocolate, and leafy green hops struggling to be noticed somewhere in the background of this intense flavor combination. This really is an excellent Imperial stout, but what makes it so good is its finesse. Sure, it has a lot of extreme aromas and flavors, but it never really gets over-the-top. It goes right up to the line, but does not cross it. Superb. The mouthfeel is awesome. On cask this is almost like melted down chocolate/coffee cake. This is so smooth and warming going down the throat. In fact my dry/sore throat was gone, after I took my first swig of this brew. Impressive. Drinkability is also insane for such a high-octane brew. I had three pints of this, and I could have had more if I didn't have to catch a bus back to Bethlehem from Port Authority. Oh well... I have heard people comment on this as Southamptons finest brew. Well, it just may be that. I've also heard that it takes a while to integrate, and it gets better with age. Well, i'm not sure about that. I've never had this on tap yet, but on cask it was kickin' ass young. God only knows what aged bottles are like. A superb creation from one of my favorite breweries.

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

Essentially black, with ruby tinge. Viscous liquid with coffee-and-cream-colored head. The carbonation and head lingers through to the end of the beer. Smell is quite vinous, reminiscent of tawny port, chocolate ganache, and concentrated dark fruit, like blueberry syrup. A bit of alcohol is present in the nose, as well. A fantastically complex flavor -- coffee with amaretto cream, bittersweet walnut, cocoa powder, anise and a little soy sauce -- just phenomenal. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy, yet light and airy for such a dense beer. Drinkability only suffers slightly because this beer is just a tad hot still. Oh to try this beer again in, say, four or five years. I could never wait that long. Stunning.

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

11/25/05- Received via trade with Jetsbeer.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, year 2005. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Darker brown, close to black pour with some cherry like highlights. Larger inch plus dirty colored head and patchy lacing.

Smell- Lots of dark chocolate and espresso scents. You can get a whiff of some of the alcohol qualities as well. Maybe some super dark fruits also. Great smeller.

Taste- Like those dark chocolate chunks you get from Gihradelli infused with some dark coffee bean flavor. Rasins and plums hit your taste buds as well. One of the most flavorful stouts I have had.

Mouthfeel- Very low carbonation, especially after it warms to room temp. Creamy and a pretty darn heavy mouthfeel. Thick and viscous.

Drinkability- Right up there with Stone IRS in my book. You can pick up the alcohol a tad more, but I still felt like I wanted another after having to share the bottle. One of my top brews I have ever tasted. Thanks so much to Jetsbeer for another great brew!

22oz courtesy of Malto

Pitch black with a smallish but lingering dark tan head. The nose is old prunes and rich chocolate. The taste is like being stroked by cashmere albeit big coffee backed cashmere that is soaked in hops and chocolate. Much like the Heresy or Stone Impy this beer is so good time seems to slow down with every sip. Dry finish just adds to the sublime drinkability.
Mucho Bueno!

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

2005 vintage. Beer pours a dark as dark black color with a finger of deep tan head that falls to a near complete cover over top of the brew. Solid looking beer. Lively and enticing. Nose is very chocolatey with lighter roastedness hanging out behind it with a puff of alcohol when I take a deep breath. There is a touch of coffee in there as well. I am excited to taste it. Flavor is even more complex than the nose. It hits hard with chocolate, almost burnt roasted malt and a touch of dark figgy fruit. It moves to a moderate hop bitter and coffee, turning around to a mocha finish. A superbly tasty brew. I had a sip of this one once in the past and I remember it being thin. That must have been an oversight on my part. This is as thick as any stout should be with a light-moderate carbonation that keeps it from being too thick. I don't think I would want this beer to be much more drinkable. At over 10%, this one does little to let me know its that big. Even a big sip doesn't hit me hard. I am going to have to find another bottle of this beer. Just awesome.

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

2011 vintage Bottle 301 of 650 split with a friend poured into snifters.

Pours jet black, used motor oil black with a dark brown head.

Smells of roasted malt, coffee and ripe plums

Taste is amazing, huge malty taste up front with a pleasent coffee aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is pure velvet its so smooth carbontion is perfect.

Overall mind blowing RIS can't wait until this comes out again next year.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Deep, dark chocolate color completely covering any possibility of light passing through. Light, fluffy head of tan foam. Roasty smell of coffee, chocolates and anise. Smooth, creamy and decently carbonated, this brew starts off with a flourish and keeps going. Remarkably easy to drink, the aocohol well hidden. Really, really great.

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Had this on tap at the release.

this beer pours an absolute pitch black with a nice thick brown head. no light makes it through this beer

the smell is wonderful roasted malt smell with hints of chocolate

the taste is roasty malt, a little hint of chocolate, nice balance between the roasted bitterness and the malt sweetness. the abv is not even noticeable

the mouthfeel is very full feeling and the drinkablitiy is very high, its a smooth easy drinking ber

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured opaque black as night with a small, tan head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of port, cherries, raspberries, smoke, chocolate, and roasted malt. Taste of chocolate and roast, more vinous qualities, certainly a little bit of tar, with a superb mouthfeel. Finishes with light, dry, alcohol. Phenomenal!

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

So, I hunted and looked and finally was able to get my hands on one of these. I had heard mixed things about this one, but really wanted to judge for myself what this one was all about. I decided last night to unwrap the black foil and pop the cap on this beauty. Bottled on 2/16/08, this was going to be nice. The pour was huge, and absolutely perfect. Pitch black with absolutely no light shining through; it was like looking into a dark windowless room. A huge tan head formed on top that almost came out of the over sized wine glass it was in. Insanely good looking, I was foaming at the mouth when I looked at this one. A slight settling left behind a nice two finger head that lasted through the night, along with copious amounts of dripping chocolate colored lace all over the glass. Really just, perfect looking for the style, really hard not to be impressed with this one.

The aroma was just as huge as the appearance. Deep rich notes of sweet lactose sugar, with loads of cocoa mixed in. A very nice mingling of bitter dark coffee as well as a touch of vanilla. Really quite nice. There was a touch of some alcohol in there, but it mostly blended out by the time this one warmed up to the right temperature. Really a very solid score going for this one. The flavor was very nice, with a lighter feel then I would have expected. It was nicely carbonated, with even the last few drops a couple hours later still having a good deal of life left in them. Smooth across the palate, though a little thinner then expected, but this only added to its Drinkability. The flavor of cocoa dominated this one, with the rich bitter taste. Very nice coffee tones throughout, were really well blended. As it warmed, there was a touch of some earthy, woody type of hint that started to come through with hints of vanilla and sweet sugary notes coming in and out. The finish was perfect, with a nice little bit of a grassy hoppiness to it, but then shut down with a deep bitter chocolate taste and a gorgeous hint of vanilla lingering on forever. The alcohol was very well hidden in here, with it clocking in at over 10% I was amazed at how smooth it was. You really could barely taste anything in this one, and I had all I could do from drinking it too fast, and not giving it the time needed to really pick up some steam and show off what it could do. Really just a fantastic beer that they have made here.

Overall, I would have to say that this one more then lived up to the hype for me. It was just completely wonderful with a huge flavorful profile, a lightness that was rather unexpected, a beautiful finish and really just outstanding on all sides. I was more then impressed with this, and actually thought it over performed to my expectations. I would love to get more of this one as it was just that good, really just an enormously good beer and something I would have to recommend to anyone. Definitely up there with the best of the style.

Southampton Imperial Russian Stout from Southampton Publick House