2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Southampton Imperial Russian Stout - Southampton Publick House

Southampton Imperial Russian StoutSouthampton Imperial Russian Stout

Southampton Publick House visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-08-2002)
Ratings: 270 | Reviews: 154 | Show All Ratings:
brew3crew

Jackie o's tasting baby!! 2011 bottle number 297/650. Thanks brad. Gusher fo sho

A-dark body wth a tan head that quickly disapates

S-lots of malt. For better or worse

T-follows the nose. Maybe a little bit of barrel, but not much

M- medium boey and smooth

O-rarity definitely affects the reviews. OK beer. Nothing too special

10-08-2011 18:58:29 | More by brew3crew
Urbancaver

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

Cork rockets off, hits the ceiling, and hits Roger in the face from across the room.
Pours a frothy foamy dark dark brown. Nice tan head. Looks pretty solid.
Smells dark chocolatey and roasty. Decent aroma.
Tastes dry and chalky. Roasty and dark chocolatey. A bit blah.
Wll carbonated. Decent mouthfeel. Oversell not impressed.

10-08-2011 18:55:42 | More by Urbancaver
TurdFurgison

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

2010 vintage, one of the better bottles in the WW2 BIF from tprokop7 (thanks Todd) Opened during a tasting/party at DrGonzo's place in northeastern OH.

This pours a black color with a few fingers of dark tan foam. It looks and smells really solid, I love the dark foam. I get tons of roasted malts in the nose, along with some cocoa. I'm so used to bourbon aged stouts any more that I actually searched for bourbon. But this doesn't need it, a very nise smelling RIS.

The taste matches my memory of Bolshoi, although not as much chocololate in the Southampton. Lots of roast character in the aftertaste, this was really good from start to finish.

I know this bottle is a real pain to get, but I highly recommend it. Definitely a nice RIS, one of the better ones I've had in recent memory.

09-10-2011 22:29:47 | More by TurdFurgison
TheDudeRules

Generously hooked up from Afksports. Thanks Brendan.

Pours a nasty black into the Surly imperial pint glass. Big thick two tone mocha to khaki sponge of a head. Pretty sure I can do a handstand on that sum bitch. Retention is status level amazing. Nose is coffee, chocolate, toffee, and a small hint of dark fruit. Taste is an explosion of espresso. Tongue numbing espresso. Bakers chocolate follows. This beer has a hop bite that fades to a fairly dry finish. Alcohol is present when the sip is over. I'd consider it a belly warmer.

Good not great. I'd like to try next years and compare the notes.

09-04-2011 02:41:19 | More by TheDudeRules
AleWatcher

2.68/5  rDev -36.8%

Had this at a tasting... Finally getting around to typing up my notes from my iphone.

So stoutfest popped this thing open and called me over to give me the first pour... Thanks man.

Pours a HUGE frothy foam of a giant root-beer-float-like head. It isn't moving, it isn't going anywhere. I need to make up the guest bed for this thing because if I don't make a plan here, I'm gonna have a house-guest... The retention, lacing, and legs are all gorgeous. A dark dark black with some tan hints in the lacing and legs. The head is dark tan. Looks amazing...

The nose has some oak, some earthiness, chocolate, coffee, toffee, caramel, black licorice... not bad at all.

Wow. The beer drinks like espresso... with a GIANT alcohol presence on the finish. I mean like huge boozy character on this. HUGE. This is the booziest beer I've ever had-- and I've had Brandy barrel Alpha Klaus... The taste does not do the nose or looks justice.
Hiding beneath the napalm-attack of the alcohol is some toffee, some bitter cocoa, some anise, and a dry, oaky, boozy bitterness at the finish. This is like rocket fuel. It is HOT. Not even trying to mask or hide it at all.

The mouthfeel is nice-- it is thick, luscious, creamy, and velvety smooth...

Overall-- this is hurt big-time by the alcohol. I like big boozy beers, but this is just too much.

At this point khazaduhm heard me talking about the lack of balance in this beer and came over... He took a sip of my glass and exclaimed, "What the fuck man! Did you add a shot to this thing?! This is NOT the same beer I just drank..."
We took our pours from the same bottle... I am certain I had a clean glass. I don't know what happened-- but this beer was amazing in every way--- except the taste. Which, to be honest, hurts a fucking lot.

08-19-2011 05:11:45 | More by AleWatcher
brentk56

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 bottling; bottle 94 out of 650

Appearance: Pours like a best in class; with a massive mocha-colored head sitting atop the pitch black liquid; doesn't hold its shape as long as some but splashes lace around the chalice

Smell: Sniffs a bit on the sweet side, with dark chocolate and coffee with cream; some hops and alcohol in the aroma as well

Taste: Rich milk chocolate, up front, with a burgeoning coffee and hop element that adds complexity through mid-palate; after the swallow, the alcohol adds another dimension, but the sweeter flavors edge out the hops in the final analysis, though there are plenty of hops in the finish

Mouthfeel: At first, it felt a bit overcarbonated, but after a few minutes the mouthfeel moved in a full-bodied and creamy direction

Overall: This is a first rate, well-balanced RIS; a true contender

Thanks, acurtis, for the opportunity

07-26-2011 01:21:28 | More by brentk56
stakem

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is a 2011 bottle I picked up at the release. Bottle #617/650 with a listed abv of 10.5%. What a bastard of a cork, I worked it out most of the way and the last quarter of an inch broke off in the neck. A corkscrew was the salvation setting this brew free with a nice pop. Poured into the matching Southampton RIS release party fishbowl goblet at just under 50 degrees. This brew appears deep black in color with no light penetrating except for the thinnest line around the edge. The coloration that shines through the edge is a deep reddish brown. Atop the brew sits a quick dissolving brown cap that holds in a lace across the top and spots of lacing stick to the glass. A swirl revives a finger of dark brown head that coats the glass with patches of lace that glide back down to the solution.

The smell of this brew is deep and roasty. Woodsy tannins initially come to mind coupled with dark roasted coffee and grain charred to the level of being burnt that imparts a light amount of smoke as well. When I had this brew on tap at the release I remember being taken back by the sheer amount of hops present. Even now, 6 months later the hops are still running amuck in the nose imparting a mixture of fruit aspects that blend well with some fruity alcohol esters. As the brew warms up, more smells reveal notes of dark grain that are reminiscent of chocolate and a hint of molasses. Also, the warmer this brew gets, the more the alcohol starts to get fusel and tingle the nose.

The taste of this brew is quite roasted imparting a very strong bitterness that I really enjoy in this style when it comes from the level of char to the grain instead of oily and resinous from hops. The dark roast of the grains imparts a flavor of bitter chocolate, coffee, molasses, licorice, leather and lightly woodsy elements that are very earthy. The alcohol is bold enough that it comes through the dark grain flavoring and produces some fruity elements that are accented by the hops that are still lively in this brew. There is a very mild fruited flavor of raisins present which brings out more flavor of dark smoked molasses. While initially this brew seemed excessively roasted, drying and bitter the longer I enjoy this the more some residual sweetness seems to come out. The aftertaste is all char with a light citrus element. I dig this brew a lot.

This is a medium to full bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. Thick and viscous enough to coat the inside of your mouth but carbonated enough that it isn't distracting. Having a full glass of this is absolutely vital to my level of enjoyment. Upon first sip I was a bit let down, the flavors seemed to be disjointed and a bit of a mess. But the warmer the brew gets and the more sips I take, I really start to enjoy this. This is a full on assault of roasted goodness, a must try for those who enjoy the RIS style and a benchmark at that. You bet your ass I will be there again next year to secure more of this treat.

07-26-2011 01:20:54 | More by stakem
AgentZero

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

I like this beer. I've had it multiple times. I like this beer multiple times.

Reviewing 2010 vintage.

A - Black color with a fairly large foamy-brown head that had moderate retention and a fair bit of lacing on the glass.

S - Lots of chocolate and roasted malts, which is pretty much a pre-requisite for me in a good RIS. Some bittering coffee, toffee, touch of molasses.

T - Roast, cocoa, coffee, little char, slightly sweet, very roasted. Duh, winning.

M - Smooth, moderate carbonation, full bodied.

O - Really like this beer and have gone out of my way to acquire multiple bottles of it. Good stuff, will try to get my hands on more.

07-21-2011 20:54:12 | More by AgentZero
ktrillionaire

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

2010 vintage, which I believe came courtesy of rlmartin; either way, thanks to rlmartin for being awesome one way or another.

A - The brew pours a rich, deep coffee-brown and is topped with a solid inch of khaki froth, depositing slippery globs of foam upon the glass' wall as it is upended. The brew's look is perhaps more typical of FES, but is tidy and impressive all the same.

S - The nose is an excellent blend of bitter dark chocolate, charred and naked grain, leathery notes, hints of smoke, and a vaguely berry-ish fruity sweetness.

T - The taste delivers on the promise of the nose, and is charry, roasty, hoppy and just out-and-out big. Suggestions of burnt coffee, leather, wood, anise, cherry and dark fruit complement the prevalent heavily-roasted grain, dark chocolate and molasses notes. The hops are defintely still discernible, and contribute a spicy, earthy and herbal quality. Booze is not particularly notable. Smoke lingers on the finish.

M - The brew has a soft, creamy feel that is quite enhancing given the brutal nature of the overall package.

O - Drinking this alongside '09 KtG, '10 Darkness, JK Black Metal, CCB Bohr and Dirac, I can confidently say this is only a notch below world-class; it was better than nearly all the aforementioned, and only KtG easily bested it.

06-29-2011 15:52:11 | More by ktrillionaire
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle of the 2011 vintage poured into a wine glass; thanks to the kind soul who shared this at DLD '11.

A: Black body, brown head. Ok retention and light lace. Not bad at all; I love the color of the foam.

S: Lots of chocolate up front, and a little spice. Further peering shows light smoke, coffee, and pronounced dark chocolate. Enticing.

T: Smooth, soft, and rich. Dark chocolate, coffee, spice, and more coffee. Lovely.

M: Medium bodied and smooth. Good.

O: Great stout. It's got some serious individuality to it with the hints of spiciness and smoke, and I love that the emphasis is on the darker, more complex aspects of roastiness instead of big malty sweetness. I'm just going to have to go to the next release to get some bottles of my own.

Cheers!

05-30-2011 11:30:08 | More by woosterbill
fear025

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Aroma:Sour dark malty aroma with an underlying sweetness.

Appearance:Black and opaque, nice head with large bubbles. Head quickly dissipates.

Taste:Great fruity taste in the foretaste along with dark roasty malts. The fruits are kind of like a green apple. In the midtaste, the roasty notes take control.

Mouthfeel:There's some harshness, with good (perhaps too much?) carbonation.

Overall:This is a great complex roasty fruity imperial stout.

05-13-2011 02:44:24 | More by fear025
SkunkWorks

Popped in celebration of finding an apartment with my girlfriend, a 750ml bottle from the 2011 vintage cellared since the release poured into a Southampton IRS release day snifter. Bottle number 39. I've had this on tap but this is the bottled version.

Look: A little gun smoke once the cork is popped and the pour reveals a solid, black body and an aggressive pour yields a thick, creamy mocha colored head that retains until the last sip and leaves sheets of sticky lace behind as I drink. Exceptional looking beer.

Smell: just how I remembered it from the release day, except a lot stronger. Once its out of the bottle, sitting on the table in front of me, I'm already picking up some aromas from this one! Roasted malt, chocolate fudge, coffee and alcohol stand out to me. No one aroma seems to dominate and all of it smells amazing.

Taste: I remember now why this is my favorite IRS of all time. Big, dark chocolate, subtle coffee, roasted grain, hints of vanilla and dark fruit and a slight alcohol taste. Wonderfully complex without being too aggressive.

Feel: this is the area where this beer has improved most when comparing the bottle to the tap version. Full bodied and perhaps the creamiest beer I've ever had. The texture is almost like melted whipped cream. The beer is dry and carbonation is spot on for the style. Its one you have to force yourself not to gulp down.

Overall: exceptional. I've never given straight 5's before but I can't see how this beer could improve in any aspect. For the next release, I doubt I'll be trading any of my bottles of this because its really a big step above the other release day stouts I've had to this point. I can't wait for the next special occasion we have so I can pop another bottle... Cheers!

05-11-2011 12:20:17 | More by SkunkWorks
RandomBattle

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance - Black, tan head. Thick body. Very stout-like.

Smell - Roasted malt, chocolate, licorice, and some earthy hops.

Taste - Sweet and roasty. Great RIS taste, notes of chocolate, roasted malt, brown sugar, and licorice. Delicious.

Mouthfeel - Thick full body. Just right.

Overall - A great beer, has everything I look for in a non bourbon barrel aged stout. I enjoy the fact that its a seasonal beer as well, it makes me look forward to having it again and fills me with memories of the last time I had it.

05-04-2011 15:32:48 | More by RandomBattle
yeahnatenelson

2.73/5  rDev -35.6%

Thanks to Gregg for breaking out yet another big gun to the show. Cheers, pal!

Appearance -- Pours a deep dark brown with a tuft of dark brown head. Looks interesting.

Smell -- Licorice, anise, coffee, cocoa powder. Seems a bit dry.

Taste -- Very burnt. black malt, roast char, notes fresh ground coffee, underlying chocolate sweetness. Burnt/acrid notes definitely take up the most space in the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel -- Full-bodied with waaay too much carbonation.

Overall -- What is the appeal in this beer?!?! Horrendously over-carbonated, and not much to the flavor beyond burnt, charred malt.

04-11-2011 02:35:53 | More by yeahnatenelson
Sean9689

3.03/5  rDev -28.5%

Southampton Mega Tasting! 2011 vintage, bottle #164/650, into Darkness snifter.

A - Pours black, mocha-colored fluffy head, spotty lacing, thin cap remains on top.

S - Huge amount of char, oak, roast. No chocolate, alcohol, burnt sugars, dark fruits? Meh, no good...

T - Too much char, slight chocolate, oak, and roast. Really though, the off-putting char is all that I'm tasting from this one. Where's the sweetness, even a small amount? No where to be found.

M - Full, over-carbonated, creamy finish.

D - Too much char & carbonation...that pretty much says it all for me. There's no sweetness, no chocolate, not even much alcohol burn. Meh, I'll pass. Perhaps some previous vintages are better? This one is average, at best.

04-10-2011 15:14:57 | More by Sean9689
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.45/5  rDev +5%

Shared during a small Charlotte BA tasting with marine1975, caSSino, CarolinaKevin, and GehenHerzog. Massive thanks goes out to CarolinaKevin for sharing this tick with the group! Bottle 610 of 650! Served from bottle into a Cigar City snifter. Poured pitch black with a three finger brown head that subsided to one finger massively slow. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt, sweet malt, dark fruit, sweet alcohol, and dark chocolate. The flavor was of roasted malt, smoke, dark fruit, dark chocolate, and alcohol on the followthrough. It had a heavy feel on the palate with mild carbonation that was almost felt creamy on the palate. Overall this brew was quite excellent. The flavor was both very smooth and nicely complex. Also it had a nice toasty aspect going on too. The aroma was very inviting and pleasant was well. Really glad I got a chance to try this one and I suggest you seek it out as well.

04-07-2011 18:46:33 | More by thagr81us
seeswo

3.33/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours black with an exploding cocoa head. Seems over-carbonated, but the head actually looks really good, so I split the difference. The smell is pretty mild - charred, smoky malts, maybe some molasses. Nothing altogether that exciting, but not deficient. The taste is a charred, almost tobacco malt. Very rich, but dry and a bit bitter. Not boozy at all, but really dry, molasses, little sweetness. I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the taste other than the malts seeming almost over-charred, but I don't really like it. The mouthfeel was creamy in a nice way, but way over-carbonated. Again, I split the difference. Overall, I really didn't like this beer very much, but I think that may be more personal taste than anything wrong with the beer. As such, I'll downgrade it overall to balance my opinion.

04-03-2011 22:43:12 | More by seeswo
Verecund

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 vintage, bottle #459/650. Thanks to Carl (wchollif) for bringing this.

Very attractive IRS: ink black with a nice two-finger mocha head. Thick, frothy lacing.

Not a lot going on here at first, but it opens up after ten minutes or so. It's drier than I expected, featuring (almost caustic) smoke and tobacco. Dark chocolate, coffee, and molasses thankfully join the fray.

Bitter chocolate, some dry, leathery notes, and a smoky finish. Some dark fruit character, though it's harsh in nature, combating the roasted malt and smoky underbelly. A little anise peeks through right before the dry punch of a finish.

Medium-bodied and creamy, with higher than normal carbonation for the style.

This one grew on me the further into my glass I got. I think splitting this, say, three ways would have improved my regard for it, but, as it stands, SH IRS was a slight let down from my expectations.

03-09-2011 03:50:15 | More by Verecund
wchollif

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 Bottle 459 of 650

Pours a pretty standard RIS, pitch black with a two finger head that lingers throughout.

The nose was not exciting, malty, coffee, tobacco and smoke coming through.

Flavor is smokey with coffee undertones. This was a good beer overall, but I wouldn't say well balanced. The smoke seemed a bit to pronounced.

Mouthfeel is a great, not too heavy, keeps the drink ability factor high.

03-07-2011 12:34:02 | More by wchollif
wethorseblanket

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Shared by Adam at Churchill's yesterday. Thanks. Bottle No. 156 of 650.

Pours a solid black with a fine cocoa colored head which fades to the edges of the glass slowly. Smells of roasted grains, earthy malts, alcohol heat, and some cherry/sherry notes. Tastes similar to the nose with a somewhat chalky and chocolate quality. Quite a pronounced boozyness with a lingering roasted grain finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy and dry. Overall, enjoyable and glad to have tried this one.

03-06-2011 23:10:46 | More by wethorseblanket
CrellMoset

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle 260/650, 2011 vintage. Cracked at a friend's house and paired with some delicious vanilla bean ice cream.

Appearance: Pours a thick inky black, heavy, opulent, and decadent, capped by two fingers of dark, cocoa-hued head. This is a fierce looking brew, right up there with the fiercest, thickest, most badass RISs. This one has even more going for it than most, though - the retention is absolutely phenomenal, with the crown lasting for most of the session, leaving huge swaths of frothy, chunky lace dripping and drizzled up and down the sides of the tulip.

Aroma: Dry, toasty, and astringent, this one's all about the malt, and is definitely dryer in the nose than last year's version. Hints of dark fruits and macerated blueberries and raspberries mingle with a slight chalky twang, likely set free by the high attenuation. It's solid, if not groundbreaking.

Taste: When I first had the 2011 on draft, I was distinctly less impressed than I remember being when I first had the 2010. I'm a little more receptive to it now, though, but I'm unsure if that's the result of time to reflect or instead the serving type. Caramel, fudge, and toffee mingle with toast and bitter fudge for a huge and fat but also elegant dryness. Those same berries and dark fruits mingle expertly with the malt astringencies and a hint of booze, but those notes elevate this one rather than take away from it. A flavorful and complex tasting brew.

Mouthfeel: Even and silky, with a good amount of lift at first and for a while. Milkshake like creaminess at the end. On both ends its good, though the mouth amplifies different flavor components at different points.

Drinkability: As I said above, I was less of a fan of this year's batch the first time I had it, but enjoyed it much more out of the bottle than I did on tap. Maybe it's the carbonation level or some such, but this beer was exceptional as always. Not to be taken lightly at 10.2%, this one is to be sipped and savored. Glad I have seven more bottles I'm sitting on - I imagine this one is only going to improve with age, though there's only so much opportunity for this one to improve.

03-03-2011 19:05:52 | More by CrellMoset
KickInTheChalice

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tasting glass.

Appearance: This is nearly black all the way through. A big bubbly brown head relaxes on top for the duration.

Smell: The aromas blend together very nicely. Roasted malt turns into coffee then dark chocolate, with a little bit of dark fruit and molasses.

Taste: Dark roasted grains, smooth roast coffee, a fair amount of molasses, some dark chocolate, and a bit of anise. The finish is sweet, with a hint of coffee in the background.

Mouthfeel: This is creamy, viscous, very full-bodied, and quite smooth.

Drinkability: If not for the other amazing beers I tried along with this, it might have done much better. Without being too angry or brash, this IRS just goes about its business, getting its tasty job done.

02-25-2011 20:48:20 | More by KickInTheChalice
maximum12

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Huge thanks to gn0sis for stuffing this into a small box, slapping my address on it, & tossing it into a Minnesota-bound truck. This is one of those rare beers I hate to open, because I'm expecting great things. Oops! Well, too late now. Split with my wife (OK, I might have taken just an extra ounce. Maybe two. Hope she reads this while she's at work & I'm far away. Love you sweetie!)

Bottle 270 of 500, 2010 vintage. Nice clean, attractive label. Pours a rough, heavy black with little to no head or carbonation - fine by me. Even when stone-cold, this smells like the asphalt outside the gates of heaven. Billionaire roasted malts. Deepens & really opens up as it warms.

Southampton IRS was crafted by a master. Roasted malts & chocolate blitz the tongue, along with a graininess more common in a hefe; weird, & weirdly appealing. Feels rough around the edges, like it grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in a John Hughes film. Cocoa powder dry, tiny current of dark fruits, with a bitter finish that might be sharp chocolate or hops still fighting for their lives. Horrifically drinkable for a big stout.

Excellent beer. Southampton has succeeded in making a beer that's not terribly complex, but with great depth. This is the hewn-wood equivalent of a cabin in the forest that you want to go back to. Frequently. Yummy.

01-27-2011 03:48:47 | More by maximum12
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Mac (nimbleprop) for this gem.

A: Heavy pour with huge tan head. Viscous black!

Smells like tons of molasses malt and chocolate. I like what I smell, but it's good not great.

Taste is awesome though. Huge RIS character with smoky charred malt, fudgy molasses and dark fruit. Cinnamon in there with other sugary spices as well. This is a GREAT example of the RIS style.

Mouth is smooth and silky, and viscous. Excellent drinker, especially for the ABV. Went down quick for me! Awesome

01-26-2011 02:30:49 | More by Dreadnaught33
mentor

Colorado

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a thin layer of brown head over a pitch liquid. Smells molasses, chocolate, salt, fig, clean alcohol, mild smoke, coffee astringency, scorched marshmallow.

Tastes wonderful. Overall, it comes across as a very potent brown ale, with much more complexity added on. Cocoa powder, bitter baker's chocolate, molasses, fig, blackberry (from hops), roast acidity, and some vanilla. Dry in the finish is a bit astringent and there is an herbal retronasal.

01-24-2011 02:10:21 | More by mentor