Southampton Black Raspberry Lambic - Southampton Publick House

Southampton Black Raspberry LambicSouthampton Black Raspberry Lambic

Southampton Publick House visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 01-16-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
camil1mj

4.73/5  rDev +3.3%

Received from Knifestyles in a trade.

A: Nice burgandy color. A small amount of head. Some lacing.

S: Lots of sweet fruitiness with some underlying vinegar tones.

T: Wonderful! The perfect balance of sweet black raspberries and sour lambic notes.

M: Light in body and refreshing.

O: One of the best fruit lambis I have tried. So glad Knifestyles was willing to trade this one with me.

02-16-2012 14:49:28 | More by camil1mj
Romulux

02-16-2012 01:40:29 | More by Romulux
xnicknj

4.35/5  rDev -5%

on tap at southampton publick house

Pours a deep purply color with some reddish hues shining through the light. Faint head with a raspberry haze dissolves into a fruit colored collar. Spots of lacing are left behind as the slick retention fades away.

Effervescent and inviting in the nose with a nice balance between sour and fruit. Dark raspberries with a jammy hint mix with wood and biting sour notes. Alcohol is nonexistent.

Begins tart and dry right up front as the raspberries start to kick in. There’s some red wine notes, but the fruit is really towards the forefront with a pleasant lactic sourness riding the wave of raspberry. It’s darker and more robust than a regular framboise might be, as some red grape skin tones creep in. Finishes tart and dry on the tongue.

Medium body, slightly higher carbonation, bubbly and dry on the tongue. This was probably the stand out of the Southampton IRS release party – people went pretty crazy over it and the lambic was the first keg to kick of the day.

02-07-2012 22:41:53 | More by xnicknj
schlimenhaumer

4.47/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 750ml cork-and-cage bottle into a Southampton snifter at low altitude. Didn't get to try this one on tap at the release, so I'm very excited to try it now.

A: Pours a hazy ruby color with a two-finger creamy pink head of decent retention that fades to almost nothing after waiting a bit. Not a whole lot of lacing.

S: Tons of raspberries, nice sour yeast character and a bit of oak in the background. Just what I'd expect from a beer called "Black Raspberry Lambic."

T: Sour yeast notes up front with plenty of raspberry in the body that carries through all the way to the finish. While the yeast is complex, the rest of the flavor profile is fairly straightforward, but still very tasty. It has exactly what I expect from a lambic, but doesn't greatly surpass my expectations.

M: Light- to medium-bodied and well-carbonated with a drying finish. Suits the flavors well, but it's not revolutionary.

D: This is an enjoyable lambic that stays true to the style with a new fruit interpretation. A pleasure to drink, and I'd certainly buy this again at the next release if it were offered.

02-06-2012 03:41:36 | More by schlimenhaumer
rwmiscik

4.83/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Poured from the tap into the awesomely huge Southampton snifter. The beer pours a nice deep purple color with a one finger head that dissipates quickly leaving nothing but a ring around the inside of the glass.

S: Up front I get sweet raspberries followed by a nice acidic tartness and what seems to be a slight french oak character. Definitely fruit forward with everything else falling into the background.

T: Up front there is a slight sweet black raspberry taste followed by a fantastic smack of acidity and then finishes nice and clean with some more fruit. fantastic

M: Beer is medium bodied and is mildly carbed but I suspect the bottles will be a bit different.

O: This was my favorite beer at the release and was fantastic. I am so glad I got a few bottles of this and is definitely something every sour fan will want to get their hands on.

02-05-2012 01:42:11 | More by rwmiscik
XSoftXNXElegantX

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

Had this at the RIS release. Had to try it on tap to see what I was going to do with my 2 bottles.

This beer is a beautiful rich ruby red. Very small and quick to disappear white head.

When I first tasted it it was poured into a short pint glass, we we waiting in line still and didn't have our Southampton snifter yet. When in the small pint it was very very acidic, some smell of tart raspberries, some oak and some tannins. When I got my snifter I poured it into the snifter and wow did the flavors pop more. The raspberry smell exploded, so did the oak and tannins, and the acidic smell died down.

As for the taste, just wow. In the small pint it was overly acidic and drying, some tart raspberry. Once I poured it into the snifter again, the raspberry flavor exploded, and I picked up much more oak and tannins as it warmed.

Overall I loved this beer(but I love sours). I managed to grab two bottles, I'm hoping to age one for another year(because 21 months wasn't enough) and if that turns out great I think I might just give it a shot at 5 years.

02-01-2012 14:52:00 | More by XSoftXNXElegantX
mltobin

Connecticut

3.88/5  rDev -15.3%

A kind soul poured some of his bottle from the release over the weekend into a glass for me.

Appearance is a purple color with a short fizzy head with a pink hue, guess they really did use "black raspberries". The aroma of this lambic has blackberries, raspberries, some funk. Sipping this and I taste oak, sour rasberries, tannins, no lack of flavor here. MF is medium, acidity stays on your palate for a while. An interesting beer from Southampton and one that most sour fans would appreciate.

02-01-2012 01:53:48 | More by mltobin
afksports

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

I have multiple bottles of this, and I am not adding it as a got.

My favorite release at Southampton this past weekend, and the surprise of the day. This thing is blushing monk dark, but traditional lambic mouthfeel-balanced. It's like raspberry tart blended with an incredibly acidic gueuze and then darkened & sweetened to the point where you forget you drank anything else. There's funk in the nose, complexity in the taste. Nothing about this feels particularly "American" in that way that American sours don't stand up to Belgians. I took one sip and knew this brew is legit. Phil is a legend for a reason.

I had it on tap on Saturday, I drank other beers, went home for a nap, woke up and went out, drank more beer, slept the night, had some cereal in the morning, looked at the bottle and felt the taste on my tongue.

Sorry for the lack of descriptors. These other reviews can handle that. This is a badass beer. Let it be known.

01-31-2012 16:13:49 | More by afksports
rowingbrewer

4.81/5  rDev +5%

Had the pleasure of trying this one on tap at the release on saturday. served in the southampton snifter

This beer pours a vibrant violet to ruby color with a thin pinkish head the recedes quickly. the smell is huge ripe berries up front with a little funk and a definite tartness present in the aroma. the flavor is sour up front with a nice blackberry flavor in the finish. this beer is puckering and very drinkable, my only regret was that i was sick the day of the release, and had to leave at a reasonable hour to get home so i tried to limit my consumption, otherwise i would have been drinking this one all day long.

01-30-2012 17:23:45 | More by rowingbrewer
sideshowe

01-29-2012 19:29:22 | More by sideshowe
ixodus

4.68/5  rDev +2.2%

On Tap at 2012 South Hampton Publick House RIS release.

A: Deep purple in color with a small white film like head and nice lacing.

S: Sweet and tart raspberries, balanced more towards the sweet side, a touch of a oak, and a little bit of wet hay funkiness. Quite aromatic.

T: The taste is definitely more toward the sour side of the beer, yet still pretty balanced. It has a nice tart acidity upfront while the sweet raspberries end up more towards the background with the oak.

M: Smooth and refreshing. Low carbonation with a light body leaning more towards medium.

O: Overall my favorite beer of the recent release. I had high hopes for this one and it went above and beyond. Definitely one to seek out.

01-29-2012 14:46:27 | More by ixodus
callmemickey

4.43/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Deep purple body. Thin skim of a pinkish-purplish head.

S: Jammy raspberries, mild funky notes that conjure up a damp cellar.

T: Bold tart, semi-sweet raspberries, other notes of cherries and blackberries, funk, and leather like-red-wine tannins.

M: Juicy and refreshing. Medium bodied. Mild carbonation. Nice tartness and acidity. Perhaps a little thin in the finish.

O: An impressive offering from Southampton. Would love to see this made again.

01-29-2012 14:31:51 | More by callmemickey
acurtis

01-29-2012 03:13:24 | More by acurtis
madawhy

01-29-2012 02:00:14 | More by madawhy
xenjoiii

4.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Consumed in the warmth of the Publick house, after a long wait in the cold.

Poured a deep violet, with a white head that quickly dissipated into a white ring. A really nice looking beer.

A really pleasant raspberry/blackberry aroma; jam like. Also, you get a bit of wood in the nose.

The taste is a really nice balance of sweet fruit, and tartness from the yeast/bacteria. Mild notes of oak linger throughout

Easy on the mouth. low/moderate carbonation.

Overall, I was really impressed with this. Being that I was looking forward to this beer the most out of all the new releases, I was afraid that it would not live up to my expectations. I, However, was very pleased with this. I look forward to enjoying my two 750mls of this in the future. I hope everyone at the release had a chance to try this at the bar!

Cheers.

01-29-2012 01:05:10 | More by xenjoiii
BeerWorld

01-28-2012 22:46:24 | More by BeerWorld
whartontallboy

4.45/5  rDev -2.8%

On-tap at the release, served into the event snifter.

Deep purple with a thin white head of medium bubbles. Nice look: in the low light of the brewpub you could mistake it for a stout, but once you got it into the light, the purple really popped.

Smell is quite nice. There's a lot of fresh raspberry/blackberry in the nose, in a very fruit-forward way. It smells like someone crushed berries and dumped them into a snifter. There's a bit of sourness and funk in the nose as well, but the fruit is the dominant character.

The flavor is more balanced between the fruitiness and the lambic-ness. The same ripe, fresh fruit flavors are there, but there's a nice sourness to offset the berries. This one doesn't have the bracingly sour character of some other lambics, but it's quite nice. The finish is spot-on for the style. Could use just a touch more body.

Overall: I didn't expect to be super-impressed by this one, and I was. Definitely the highlight of the release party for me; I kept going back for more snifters of this one while the Uberliner and imperial stout were still flowing. Great beer.

01-28-2012 22:00:18 | More by whartontallboy
Soonami

01-28-2012 20:58:51 | More by Soonami
GoGriz

4.47/5  rDev -2.4%

As good as I hoped it'd be! Dark purple in color with a wispy bright white head. A little muted color wise. Head disappeared quickly. Smells of berry and funk. Can tell it'll have some acidity. Flavor is fantastic. Perfect harmony struck between the dark raspberry fruit flavor and sour acidity. I've had sour-er lambic before and I've had fruit forward, sweeter lambics too. This beer is excellent in its balance of both of those components. Good lively carb. Great beer from Southampton!

01-28-2012 20:52:05 | More by GoGriz
Pete27lax

01-28-2012 19:33:47 | More by Pete27lax
JAHMUR

Connecticut

01-28-2012 17:49:05 | More by JAHMUR
cosmicevan

4.4/5  rDev -3.9%

damico says "double first" - poured into release event glass. nice rich plum, damico says "forest black cherry, the color of amazingness." in the light an almost pink. wonderful raspberry smell and taste. bold but not in your face. somewhat watery in the mouth but a wonderfully easy drinker. raspberry wonder but in a digestable amount.

01-28-2012 17:47:02 | More by cosmicevan