Southampton Pumpkin Ale - Southampton Publick House

Southampton Publick House visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: slander on 01-02-2003)
3.93/5  rDev +8%

Appearance: Dark-copper hue... No head nor lacing... Unimpressive appearance...
Smell: Mashed pumpkins, cloves, ginger, cinnamon...
Taste: Similar to the aroma, with pumpkin mash, cloves, ginger, cinnamon... Was eagerly anticipating this one
Good stuff...

dsa7783, Mar 19, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter · Fridge temp · 2008

Appearance: Pours a muddy brown/red and isn't completely transparent. There is no head formed and no lace. Tiny swirls of head are at the surface.

Smell: Malt, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and even clove. Nice and sweet, with a distinct earthiness of fall. Some yeastiness.

Taste: Just like pumpkin pie. This beer actually has a pumpkin flavor to it. There is almost too much spice of cinnamon, nutmeg and pie spice. Cereal grains are also a big flavor component. Maple syrup hides in the background.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, sweet and very spicy. The spices could be toned down a bit. Alcohol is pleasant and slightly warming. This is a good pumpkin ale that has a real pumpkin flavor. A little too much spice for my liking.

Risser09, Dec 22, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

Reviewed on 7/20/08. Bottle. I'm surprised this is released in June/July, but nonetheless...pours a clear dark amber with a large white head. Aroma of rich pumpkin pie! (but it is not that strong, unfortunately) Flavor of spices upfront (nutmeg mostly), followed by sweet fruits (strawberry and raspberry) with a slight pumpkiny aftertaste. Fairly tasty, but I would like to see more pumpkin. Also it got a bit too sweet for my liking. There are better pumpkin ales out there.
8/4/6/3/14 (3.5/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 20, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Inviting cooper-bronze color. Thin head that quickly disapates leaving only a small ring around glass.
Light clove scent followed by pumpkin. Slight maltyness behind spices.
Suttle pumpkin spice flavor with hints of hops and sweet malt.
Light body with inviting levels of carbon dioxide.
Nice seasonal brew getting one ready for the fall season.

FishGetter, Dec 02, 2008

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy ruby orange with 1 1/2 fingers of creamy eggshell white colored head. A thin but strong looking layer of retention leaves some nice looking creamy lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma is a nice smooth smelling mix of spice and greenish pumpkin meat with a touch of citrus and some floral hops in the back.

The taste is a mellow and smooth mix of spices, tang, and pumpkin with a nice fresh tasting tingle of hops in the back. Finishes sweet, citric, and slightly bitter. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a sharp carbonation up front that spreads out into a creamier feel. There is only just the slightest sensation of beef to the feel, otherwise the ABV is extremely well hidden.

This Pumpkin Ale had a different type of feel from others that I've had in the bottle, being all around more mellow and creamy, but I still really dug it. A really tasty Pumpkin Ale that I've been wanting to try for a while now and finally got around too. I would seek this out again next fall.

Kegatron, Nov 30, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +9.3%

Pint glass on tap at the Southampton Night at Northside.

Poured a medium orange color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of spicy pumpkin pie. I was getting a little bit of a pumpkin candle aroma in there too. Tastes of spicy pumpkin pie.

Notes from 9/20/07.

hopdog, Nov 18, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from the 22oz bomber into my favorite Belgian styled glass.

This bottle has been aged at least two years in my cellar. I'll be operating under the assumption that it is a mere two years old for this review.

Appearance- Thar she blows! Looks like we have a gusher on our hands and quite a mess on the floor. Where's the dog when you need him? Outside of that, beer pours a solid murky orange with a paper thin head that quickly dies down to minor lacing on the sides of thin small bubbles.

Smell- Pumpkin puree itself and nutmeg with a little sourness and brown sugar. The sour scent isn't entirely unappealing and I keep sniffing further to see if I can pick it up better. I have had this beer younger and at the time it was the best pumpkin beer I had had. Since than I have had the mighty Pumpking and felt the need to visit it again before it was too late. I haven't seen Southampton in this state for a long time.
I'm getting a hint of green apple on this as well.

Taste- The pumpkin and cinnamon nutmeg flavor is still very powerful. Pumpkin tastes ample and spiced solidly. I would really like to see this again fresh. There is a slight off sourness that indicates to me that this has been cellared just a wee bit long and I should have probably checked the gravity or used some common sense when stashing it back. That said, it is still drinkable and I will enjoy it for what it is.

Mouthfeel- Thinner than it once was, but highly carbonated, effervescent, lightly astringent, and medium bodied overall.

Drinkability- I miss the old memories of this beer and want to visit with it again fresh. Sadly, I have a feeling I may never see this fine elixir again. In comparison to Pumpking last year, it doesn't quite place, but against many other pumpkin beers, it stands on it's own and is delicious. Where are you Southampton? Gone from Ohio? I want the Saison back!!

blakesell, Nov 09, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

Smell: Sweet aroma with only a slight hint of pumpkin.

Appearance: Poured a reddish orange color with a thin quickly dissipating head.

Taste: A dry bitter taste with a less than decent amount of pumpkin but accompanied with a nice amount of spice though.

Mouthfeel: Thin with not much carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer is decently drinkable not great but different, if you're in the mood for a pumpkin ale.

jwhawkins81, Nov 02, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a nice dark golden amber with an off white head. The head was 1 finger, lasted a minutes then left a ring around the top. Smell was mostly pumpkin pie mix, with a bit of cream. Taste was a subtle pumpkin , almost an aftertaste with the nutmeg standing out a bit too strongly. Felt very very smooth in the mouth, coated well, and not at all overly carbonated. Slightly bitter in the mouth. Easy to drink, but the bitterness kicked it down a notch and made one linger a bit longer.

mountdew1, Oct 31, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle@home (Halloween baby!)

A: Pumpkin-orange with a small head that vanishes quickly.

S: Pumpkin (faint), Spices (nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon).

T: Spices (Cinnamom, Pepper, Nutme), Exotic fruit, Caramel.

M: Taste is very powerfull with alot of spices and carbonation. Too much spices really but quite interesting. Something reminds me of christmas...

A very different beer for me as it is the first pumpkin ale i've ever tried. Seems a bit too extreme tho and a bit unbalanced but nevertheless an interesting experience. Worth a shot!

baggio, Oct 31, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -5.8%

22oz poured into a pint glass.

Pours a cloudy amber color with orange hues and a very thin tan head that dissipates quickly with light lacing. Nutmeg, allspice and pumpkin aromas. The taste is the same, with little to no malt or hop flavor. Medium body, light carbonation, there is a creamy mouth coating feel to it.
The nice thing is that the pumpkin and spice is well balanced, not overpowering each other. The negative thing is that those are the only flavors present and I would like something else there.

scottg, Oct 27, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured a dark coppor into my konings hoeven goblet. Small head disappears quickly, no lacing.

The smell is unimpressive. Faint pumpkin/spice smell

This Ale does not have an over the top pumpkin spice taste that other pumpkin brews exhibit.

It is a good brew but how does one rate it.

I guess if you like less subtle pumpkin brews this one would be a winner. If you are expecting a piece of pumpkin pie then look elseware.

LennyV, Oct 24, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

Split this with a friend at a recent tasting. I tend to really like the pumpkin ales offered at this time of year.

A: Very little to no head, light brownish orange in color.

S: Smell is phenomenal. Smells just like a slice of freshly baked pumpkin pie. Strong hints of cinnamon, some nutmeg, and obviously pumpkin. Really nice smell

T: Seemed almost watered down. Spices mentioned above in the smell are there, but not much in else. Little to no malt flavors, no hops. Dissapointing.

All in all, not one of my favorite pumpkin ales, and this came as a shock, as I have had really great experiences with alot of other Southampton beers.

CoolJosh, Oct 22, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -8%

Poured into a nonic pint. Presents itself as clear vibrant orange/red with a nice white head that falls fast.

Smell is pungent malt, pumpkin, and spices.

Taste is bold,with a hoppy punch followed by a punchy spice.
The first sip is harsh, IMO, but as the beer warms the pumpkin creaminess comes forth.

This beer is a grower not a show-er. It gets better as you get into it.

A nice pumpkin ale, not in the same league as post road, smuttynose, ST, or DFH

GC

gcarl, Oct 21, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a pint glass, the head faded quickly on top of the clear copper ale. Smells of the pumpkin pie you'd expect. I think there's a nice balance of pumpkin and spice flavors, with nothing too overpowering to keep it drinkable. As it gets warmer, I got a little banana--interesting. Perhaps a little thinner than I was expecting, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one to someone who enjoys pumpkin ales.

qchic, Oct 19, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

Split this with a fellow BA at a recent tasting and poured into two pint glasses...

A: An extremely translucent light copper with absolutely zero head, which was mildly disappointing.

S: Good ol' piece of grandma's pumpkin pie. Spicy cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, pumpkin...wonderful nose.

T: The same smells that are in the nose come through with a big blast with the taste. The caveat to that is that there is almost no malt or hop profile...it is all spice.

Overall, a pretty decent pumpkin beer that could use some more malt and hop profile rather than all spice.

treyrab, Oct 16, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

Picked this up last week at the Whole Foods on Houston Street in New York City. I saw that the reviews for this were great, and true to form, this beer was certainly worth a try. I don't like my pumpkin ales and Octoberfests to have a lot of spice in them, and this straddles the line pretty well. Too bad I left my cool whip at home instead of bringing it with me!

I only say that because the pumpkin pie notes can be picked up in the aftertaste. The pour was fabulous as well - certainly the best aspect of this beer. The head was full, but not terribly tall, but the hue was quite a sight to behold. Slightly cloudy, radiant, and a golden shade of pumpkin. This got a good 5 second stare from me before I sipped...and sipped...and slowly downed this. The nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice are present but very subtle here. I couldn't smell any of those and the taste was a bit more bland than I thought but besides that, this went perfectly with the cool nights that we've had here lately. Heck, there isn't even much of any bitterness to this!

I didn't feel the 6.0% ABV as I worked my way down my pint glass and since I had this after dinner tonight, I didn't have any desire to have desert once I downed all of this. If ya like your fall beers spicy, intense, and dark, this isn't yoour cup of tea. For people like me who want to ease into the cooler weather, this ia a great choice. This is one of the better pumpkin beers that I've had!

JerzDevl2000, Oct 07, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -12.6%

22 oz bottle.
Have had this many times over the years and finally got around to reviewing it.

A: Very nice super deep copper color with a good amount of haze. Poured with a finger of white head that quickly dissipated.

S: This is more on the spicy end of pumpkin ales.Cinnamon and nutmeg dominate. Only the faintest hints of pumpkin.

T: The taste follows the nose as so often is does. Very spicy but not in a good way. It becomes overwhelming in the middle. The spices really need to be toned down. There is a second into the beer where it is really nice but that second goes too quickly.

M: Nice mouthfeel. Little bit on the light side for the style but that helps drinkability.

D: Southampton is completely hit or miss for me. This used to be a much better beer. They really need to overhaul their non 750 releases. This one was made up the road in Saratoga. They need to get these recipes tight on the Island before sending them up.

aerozeppl, Oct 04, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

Had this on-tap at Bocktown last night.

A-Nearly transparent caramel colored body that pours with a large rusty head. Has good head retention.

S- Pumpkin is the dominant smell (as opposed to pumpkin spice...this smell is like you are carving a pumpkin). Not much else to pick up.

T- Taste is very similar to smell. Lots of pumpkin all around. Somewhat sweet and very juicy. Consistent all the way through. Not really hoppy or malty.

M-excellent. Low-to-medium carbonation with a smooth medium weight body.

D- This is (like ST Pumpking last year) is a very pumpkin-tasting pumpkin ale. Not much else too it. It's a good seasonal release but gets cloying toward the end.

PittBeerGirl, Oct 01, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +12.1%

22 oz brown bottle courtesy of Aaron (leftmindedrighty) once again. Thanks!

Pours a very orange/amber color with an off white head that seems to stick around pretty good but does not lace.

Smell is not unlike a pie baking in the oven. Sweet pumpkin with the cinnamon and allspice being the prevenlent aromas, a hint of clove coming from the alspice.

Taste follows smell. Sweet pumpkin, cinnamon, allspice (perhaps a touch overdone on the allspice) and nutmeg. Like i took a bite of a fresh baked pumpkin pie and washed it down with a mild ale.

For as sweet at this one seems to be it is not heavy or sticky feeling in the mouth, but instead light and refreshing, making it much easier to drink.

I do not like cloves, which is likely why I can pick them out so distinctly in the allspice in this beer, which makes it not my favorite beer, and perhaps why I dont find many pumpkin beers I like, but for what it is, it is a very fine example. If you like pumpkin beers this one is at the top of the style for me.

tayner, Aug 27, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

This is probably one of the best Pumpkin Ales out there...Rich copper pour, leaving a light lacing. Nose of pumpkin is quite predominate,along with hints of the spices...cinnamon, nutmeg...I would highly recommend anyone to just taste this and compare to any other Pumpkin Brew out there...Southampton has a winner!

thequeen711, Aug 27, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer pours a dark amber with no head. The smell is very nice, major overtones of pumpkin. The taste is nice, I don't get much hops, but the pumpkin flavor is very nice and a nice smooth malt finish. The mouthfeel is pleasant, the carbonation seemed a little low but this wqas nice for the drinkability and mouthfeel. The drinkability is nice for this beer I could drink a couple but pumpkin is not my favorite flavor when something like stone ipa is on tap but certainly a very drinkable and well crafted beer. Lots of Pumpkin in this beer.

Biggness, Aug 25, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

A - pours mildly cloudy, with a dark amber/orange color. Head is light but there's a bit of lacing.

S - lighter than I expected, with a mild spiced smell like cinnamon
and clove (pumpkin pie?).

T/M/D - a curious taste (this is my first of the style). It's a bit bitter and hoppy, and clearly spicy in a pleasant way. It isn't too thick or creamy (which I had been expecting for whatever reason). It is quite tasty, actually - I'd buy this again.

I've got a ST Pumking waiting on the sidelines that I'm anxious to open up and compare to this (I was intending to wait for a chilly early-fall day but I don't think I'll make it that long).

Jerico, Aug 24, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Needed an excuse to open one of these so when 2 of my regular customers came in tonight I said "lets open one up"
It pours a rich copper with some brown tones with a fizzy cream head that dissapates but does leave a nice ring in the glass and some lacing. It smells of rich spice--cinnamon,nutmeg,clove,and hints of vanilla. Not much pumpkin in the smell. Taste has a spicey bite from the hops that hits first. Malt comes in the middle and then the full flavor of spice and hints of pumkin come in. The pumpkin is not a predominant flavor in this brew. In the mouth its a nice transition of flavors and over all fairly drinkable. Overall a nice brew and definately something I would drink again.

LunaChick, Aug 19, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

From 750 into BMS mug flipping between NASCAR and watching the Sox get the crap knocked outta demselves...

Nice looking stuff - true amber color with amp[le carbonation. Head is wispy and dissipates quickly though.

Good warm pumpkin pie spicing - pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, oak-vanilla backbone and maybe some piney hops.

Slight off-taste (phenol?) that dominates at first but burns off mostly. Spice and malt are there but a little more subtle than desired - not a lot of hop presence save for slight pine. Not awful but disappointing.

Mouthfeel is clean but with soft aftertaste - relatively consistent.

Have heard good things about this one so I am admittedly a little disappointed. Drinks OK - pretty clean on the palate so it's not like ya have to choke this one down. A decent offering but there are better ones out there.

IBUnit63, Aug 18, 2008