Double White Ale - Southampton Publick House

Witbier |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-07-2003

Reviews: 629 | Hads: 1,085
4.93/5  rDev +23.9%

L: Hazy bright yellow with a thin white head that dissipated quickly, leaving a thin bead of foam around the glass.
S: Pepper, orange.
T&F: Zesty deliciousness! Bit of pepper. Really good carbonation.

4.92/5  rDev +23.6%

I have had this beer many times before
I have drank at the Public house many more times than that, but I wanted to review this beer because to me it is what showed me that public house was more than just a brew pub.

Public House has raised its game a level.

this is a very good witbier

it pours a cloudy golden wheat color with glorios head.

Its not my favorite type of beer but it makes be order it over and over again.

its very smooth, and its the kind of beer that can put a brewery on the map.
entirely drinkable.

One of my favorites for sure. I think Cambridge house has one of my others.

4.88/5  rDev +22.6%

pours a very hazy yellow color with a two finger white head that holds fairly well with sheets of lace that hold to the finish. aromas of spice, coriander, and orange. big flavors with this beer, yeast, wheat malt, coriander, orange peel, pepper, ending with a slightly salty tangy finish all balanced for a great taste. mouthfeel is medium and carbonation is good. great tasting beer, if you like the style, don't miss buying it.

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%

I have purchased multiple six packs of this from Brawley's Beverage, but the basis for my review is the bottle I had at Flying Saucer Draught Emporium.

A - Pours a nice pale whitish-yellow color, eventually clouded by the yeasty swirl added with the last third of the bottle. A nice white, two finger head formed on top.

S - Like all good witbiers, this one has that slight doughy smell, accented by citrus.

T - Phenomenal. This beer slid across my tongue with the initial doughy flavors I expected from the nose, but the tartness from the yeast and spices was more interesting and complex then I had imagined. Oh, the citrus accents provided by orange peel and coriander are surely there, but there are hints of berries as well. Wonderfully delicious.

M - Undoubtedly, this is a very refreshing beer. Such smooth characteristics that give way to a lifting carbonation.

D - I could easily drink a few or more of these in one session. The alcohol is very well hidden and affects you just enough to let you know it's there.

Notes - To me, this is the perfect witbier. From top to bottom, it was a treat. I've had it with several meals and my highest recommendation for pairing would be with salad, preferably mixed greens with spinach leaves, maybe blueberries, strawberries, and/or grapes as a tomato substitute and a zesty dressing. Honestly though, it went well with a wide assortment from tortillas w/salsa to bbq spare ribs w/corn on the cob.

4.8/5  rDev +20.6%

2005. Corked Champagne bottle. A mostly clear, just slightly hazy yellow-gold body teems with life beneath a two-finger head of bright white foam. The head retention is excellent; and it leaves short, solid, fading walls and long splashes of transient lace with each sip.

The nose is delicate with notes of fruit (peach, tangerine, lemon zest), subtle spice (coriander), vanilla, and the occasional whiff of bubblegum.

It's lightly zesty in the mouth with a medium-light body and very fine carbonation that lightly bristles and then warms to become cottony soft.

The flavor follows the lead of the nose, but with a wider breadth. It's initially fruity and wheatish (also with a note of vanilla); becoming more fruity and tart (lemon, tangerine) across the middle; and finishing with a very mild bitterness, some citrus rind, and a touch of spice that lingers oh-so-perfectly.

The balance is impeccable and the drinkability is brilliant! It's an interesting and exciting beer that retains all of its drinkability despite its increased size (and the alcohol never shows)! Not only is it worth seeking out; this is one of the beers that makes the United States the greatest brewing country in the world - where American beers surpass the quality of the originals from their home country!!! Find some!

4.8/5  rDev +20.6%

Mmmmm! I tried this lovely Southampton beer at an Oscar's party, split a bottle with my boyfriend. I could easily have had the whole bottle, but we only had 1 and so we had to share. At least I got some. It was a yellow-gold colour, cloudy, with a big white fluffy head that took a while to go down. It smelled wheaty, with apricots and spice, very nice. It tasted amazing- like a white but with so much more going on! I tasted a definite grape/wine flavor, mixed with peppery spicecake taste and apricots and a hoppy taste near the finish, a bit dry I guess you could say. Mouthfeel was very good, soft and silky, and again, i could've drank the whole bottle, but I can't complain, as I'm very glad to have had any at all.

4.78/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle bought at the local 6 pack shop.

Appearance - Poured a light amber color, very cloudy. Firm 3 finger creamy head with slight coloration really sparked my interest.

Smell - Citrusy smell with slight amount of coriander, decent smell, could be slightly better, but still no complaints

Taste - Great Taste. This beer has lemon, orange, pepper, wheat taste. Very drinkable. Could easily have 7 or 8 or 10 of these, but the 7%abv would be kickin my ass, especially because you really can't taste the abv.

Mouthfeel - Crisp Clean, lots of carbonation, Could maybe have more carbonation though, good all the same.

Drinkability - What can I say, A truly spectacular beer. Had quite a few of these, and look forward to many more.

Cheers, Drink Up

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

This is from a bomber brought back from SPH by a good friend. Thanks, Dorothy! I drank this in a Kasteel glass.

This beer looks like liquid gold sitting in your glass. Very pretty. No head, however. Just tiny islands and a ring around the glass. Carbonation is evident, but no lacing.

Aroma is a wonderfully clean coriander and orange peel, kind of lemony, bready wheat. Black pepper and a faint green banana smell, also. Inviting.

The taste is just so clean and fresh, it's inspiring. Fresh, tart lemons, coriander, orange peel, black pepper, tart, bready wheat and yeast. Impressive. Most impressive. The aftertaste is of coriander.

Mouthfeel is clean, crisp, and damn refreshing. A pretty good bite from carbonation on your tongue. Just the right amount of residual sugar. Finish is like a sweet-tart candy.

I really don't see how this could be much improved. I don't like to give 5's, but...DAMN!

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

I have had this beer many times. most recently at a fondue restaurant with dinner.

Pours out slightly hazy and light colored with lots of fizz which retains itself preety well compared to others of the style.

Taste is exceptional. It has a lightly hopped great citrus and spice flavor without the overly sour aftertaste. Be careful as unless you read the package you would never know this is a 7% beer. Goes down very smooth and very drinkable.

Easily one of my favorites for the style, and lucky for me its local so easy to find. I do not know about when it is bough out of state but usually reasonably priced around me.

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

22 ounce bottle. Pours out a hazy golden color with a big white head. The aroma is very fruity, with mostly orange, and some lemon. Lots of coriander in the aroma too. The flavor is tangy wheat, vanilla, fruit, and spice. I know there is orange in this beer, but I also taste peach. Medium mouthfeel. This beer is incredibly refreshing. No sign of the alcohol. One of my favorite Southampton beers. I had it on tap once and it was even better than the bottled version.

4.76/5  rDev +19.6%

Excellent Witbier!!! Nice color. Smells ok, but could be better. Taste of lemon and orange. More so the orange. Mouthful has a good feeling and very smooth. Smooth feeling leads to very good drinkablity and a good time drinking with friends on any occasion

4.73/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured into Irish Style Pint

A - This beer pours a bright light orange color, with a bright white 3 finger soft pillowy head. Head does fizzle away rather quickly but leaves some impressive lacing. This beer is absolutely stunning when held up to the light. It is extremely hazy, but the unflitered sediments create this wild lava lamp effect.

S - The aroma of this beer is very citrusy, with lots of orange and lemon in the nose. The smell is coriander is very much apparent as well. This beer would make a great car air freshener.

T - The taste of this beer is very juicy, with a heavy dose of spicy coriander on the finish. Quite possibly the best tasting witbier ive ever tasted. The taste of this beer doesnt linger on for too long, but the coriander does sit on the back end of the tounque even after the finish. And for a 6.7% abv beer, you can't taste the alcohol at all!

M - The mouthfeel of this beer is just about perfect for this style. It has a rather resiny composition, but its not as sticky as you would think. This beer is not very carbonated, but seems rather medium bodied just because its a double.

D - The drinkability of this beer is rather high, but not something that I would deem sessionable. Of course, anyone could session anything they want, but one or two of these beers should be all you need to feel pretty good. But the taste of this beer is too good to waste.

Final Thoughts: Absolutely exceptinal beer!!! You can tell a lot went into getting this recipe just right. Two Thumbs Up!!!

4.72/5  rDev +18.6%

Opaque hay-colored body had two fingers of fluffy egg white head cresting on top. The lacing is delicious and delicate, which is how I would characterize the flavor as well.

The nose is very citrusy and spicy with lots of lemon-lime. It is a tad sweet. I get some pomegranate in the nose as well.

The mouthfeel is light to medium, so you know you’re not drinking water, but it’s still a white beer. Carbonation is very light but teeny bubbles ping at my lips as I sip.

Coriander and maybe even orange rind spice up the flavor, which is very pronounced. It’s a bit yeasty too. I generally don’t prefer lighter styles of beer but this one is hoppy and spicy enough to make me reevaluate my existence (okay maybe just my feelings about lighter beers – but it’s really damn good). It’s very well balanced and outrageously drinkable.

Slow, smooth and subtle, this beer is more than most bargain for when they pick a white. Simply put: Outstanding.

4.7/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First time tried today and I must say that this is one of my favorite beers so far.

A - Poured into a Smuttynose pint glass produces a Hazy, golden-yellow in color with a one-finger head that lasts for the entire drink and laces the glass nicely.

S - Mild spices and wheat, florals and a good malt-hop balance.

T - Wonderful. Sweet and spicy. Almost no bitterness at all. Good balance here.

M - Very smooth, almost perfect amount of carbonation.

D - Very drinkable. Very light and non-filling. You don't taste a hint of alcohol, even though it is 7% ABV.

4.67/5  rDev +17.3%

22oz bomber. Poured out a hazy orange/golden color with a good head to go along with it. Smell consisted of soft coriander and oranges. A nice underlying of vanilla comes in the middle. Taste started out with spices and oranges mostly, but it was ever so soft and delicate. Extremely inviting flavors. Vanilla shows up more stronger in the taste than the nose, but oranges are stronger in the finish. Carbonation is quite soft and seems to just melt this beer in your mouth. This goes down like a 5%, not a 7%. Savor every sip because you'll finish this beer before you know it. One of the best wit's out there, hands down.

4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

This beer has been much better every time I've had it since my on-tap review. This is a bottle review.

Pours a very hazy yellow with just a thin white head. Lacing is very good.

Aroma starts off with this incredible fruitiness. Yeasty with strong orange peel notes. A good does of vanilla adds a dessert-like character. It has a lower amount of spice than most wits, but is incredibly fragrant.

The flavor is this beer is exactly how I like a wit to taste, only a bit more concentrated. The orange fruit flavors are there from the nose as well as the taste of burnt sugar, reminding me of creme brulee. Yeasty flavors add fruitiness and a touch of blue cotton candy.

The mouthfeel is nice on this beer. They went with a lighter body than I would have preffered. I would have liked a bigger, wheatier mouthfeel, but this is a minor complaint in such a great beer. And good news, I'm starting to see this on tap in more places.

4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

POP!, goes the cork, and away we pour....cloudy golden hue, beneath a majestic helping of snowy froth, leisurely collapsing to a more modest dimension.
Nose perfectly captures the soul of the wit, the light, breezy nature, mixed with delicate spice, and accompanying citric zest vapors. Easily matches the uplifting aromas of the very best witbiers I've ever known.
Tangy tartness starts off the taste, giving a cause to pucker and sliding lemony flavor down the tongue. It returns with each additional congress between cup and lip, and each time delivers a serious, even juicy, blast of flavor. Still, lightness remains, and refreshment is the order of the day. Light in body, but with a long, fruity finish, and a uncompromising commitment to flavor. I admire more and more the insistence of the citric feel on the tongue and back down the throat the further I get into this full-size bottle, and the spices are better regarded too, the more I partake.
Other whites/wits I've had deliver, then peter out, but not this one, it stays strong from the start and never quits. The flavor is almost palpable, and urges every sip onward. (I had an undesired ale before this, and relish the act of enjoying every taste, rather than plodding through an unexceptionable bore of a beer.)
Magnificent, really. Wish I had more than the one sample, (thanks to sulldaddy!), so I could share among others at picnics, park benches, drive-in movies, motorcycle rallies, kite-flying expeditions, Crimean War re-enactments, Klingon weddings, voodoo ceremonies, hammock testings, effigy burnings...any time really...good beer, perfect for good people, wherever they may be found.

4.64/5  rDev +16.6%

Light golden color with with average head when poured in wide circular beer glass. Strong corriander aroma complimented by citrus esters of lemon and orange. Strong corriander flavor with slight but distinguishable hop bitterness. Light body with slight upfront tartness but lingering subtle maltness, perhaps indicative of many Belgium yeasts' distinctive phenolic spice. Soft carbonation with corriander effervescence. Damn good beer.

4.64/5  rDev +16.6%

Southhampton is quickly becoming a favorite of mine with their solid Belgian offerings.

This brew poured a cloudy, lemon-yellow color with a small, frothy white head. Peering through the glass, I spy the micro-sediment dancing through the visible carbonation. The somewhat smaller head is persistent and is easily revitalized with a swirl of the glass.

Sweet aromatic wheat, funky earthy yeast, black pepper, coriander, lemon zest and orange fill the nose. Woah! This just might be the most complex, aromatic witbier to ever grace my nose. No alcohol to be detected but the higher gravity certainly helps get all the nuances out.

As I press the glass to my lips, I perceive a sweetness that is quickly quelled by bready wheat. The funky, tart, almost-sour yeast takes over next followed by a subtle spice profile. Zesty lemon, black pepper, citrus peel and coriander flavors give this beer great depth without becoming too overpowering. A sweet, tart finish leaves the palate thirsty for more. Again, no sign of booze in the flavor but the flavors are certainly more poignant with the higher gravity.

The aggressive carbonation gives this beer a soda-like quality. Perhaps the only thing that I would change would be to decrease the bubbles and increase the body. I'm totally nitpicking here though!

With the well masked alcohol, light body and glorious flavors, I could easily drink several of these in a session. Southhampton has done a wonderful job with this brew and I plan to revisit again soon!

4.63/5  rDev +16.3%

From notes 11-19-08

Eye: The first words out of my mouth once I saw the beer pouring from the bottle to the glass were "Oh my god, this really is a white ale!" I knew it was a wit but still I didn't expect it to be that white, I don't think that I've seen one that white on the pour, especially before any yeast has gone into the glass. I don't know if this beer is bottle conditioned or not, but it is whiter than most wits I've seen. Color is cloudy pale straw gold. The beer has excellent head formation and retention, lacing is also great. Really I don't think I've seen a better looking wit, yes...they don't get much better than this The head's texture is somewhere between creamy and fluffy...reminds me a bit of meringue.

Nose: Big on the aromatics, big coriander supported by orange and lemon citrus aromas. I actually can smell both the orange and the lemon, really quite interesting...a nice blend of the two, they make a very nice citrusy aroma that gives this beer some depth. Upon first smelling it I didn't get any citrus, after looking for a bit I found the orange and then the lemon supporting it. However, had the label not stated that there was lemon in here, I don't think that I'd have been able to pick it apart from the orange. Also some clove notes in here. Overall great aroma, an instant classic!

Tongue: Wow! great flavor on this brew, orange and lemon really come through in the flavor. Unlike the aroma they are much more upfront, the citrus character takes lead. Spicy notes of coriander and clove also come through to balance out the citrus notes. Clove comes through, especially in the aftertaste, with some peppery notes as well, but mainly clove. The light wheat flavor just makes this beer possible, can't really say much more besides the fact that this is one of the best wits I've had to date.
Interesting flavor profile altogether, almost like a wit and a hefeweizen mix...wit flavors of orange and coriander come through as do the phenolics from hefeweizen yeast...banana and clove. Quite thrist quenching...not a big fan of hefe but this beer does it for me, a mix of hefe and wit...nice. I can't speak more for this beer, you have to just get out there and try it, you'll see how good it is.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Light in body with perfect carbonation, seems to be a bit low for the style, but it works great with this beer. This is a real smooth drinking beer, definitely one that I'll be revisiting, though most likely in the warmer months. This would be perfect on a steaming hot and humid day. Long lasting aftertaste, easy drinker, thirst quenching, refreshing...damn, I don't see what's not to like about this beer. Go out and get it if you've not had it. This is one that I'll be recommending over Holy Moses, Bell's Winter White, Hoegaarden, Blue Moon (obviously), Wittekerke, White Rascal, and well, just about every Wit I've had to date.

4.62/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a tulip glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - Perfectly cloudy orange amber with a lovely fluffy head that leaves oodles of lacing

S - A joy to smell. Lots of fresh, bright coriander and orange comprise the meat of this heady aroma, backed up by cloves...and dare I say a hint of banana? Okay, who put hefe yeast in my witbier?

T - Faint bitter, flowery hops back up the fruity, wheaty, spicy taste. Excellently balanced.

M - The carbonation is active and foamy, lending bite and smoothness to the light yet full mouthfeel. Slightly chewy.

D - If it weren't for the elevated ABV, I'd drink several of these at a time. It's just so easy drinking and tasty.

Overall - I might have found a new favorite wit, even if it is slightly boozy. For sessioning, I'll stick to Allagash or Hoegaarden, but this is a definite occasional treat.

4.61/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a dark gold color with a stylistically appropriate haze, slightly darker that a typical wit. The head dissipates rather quickly.

The aroma is phenomenal. Creamsickle, unbaked bread dough and coriander are all immediately noticeable.

The nicest thing about this beer is that it still tastes like a wit. Perhaps it is a little more intense but not so "imperialed up" that it takes on a different character.

Wits are one of my favorite beers and after sampling many, I have become complacent to the things that make this style unique. The first sip of this beer makes me vividly recollect the first wit I ever had and reminds me why the style is so special.

Drinkablilty is exceptional. The beer is easy to drink and is so interesting that it would never become boring. Extremely well crafted.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured a soft creamy orange creamsicile color and left a pillow white head that laced the Wheat glass I was drinking from. The smell was sweet dew, canteloupe, melons, were very present in the nose of this brew. A slight hoppy presence was detected as I breathed through my mouth. The appearance of this brew is very cloudy due to the unfiltered process but makes the body look mysterious and inviting. As I tasted this ale the wheat flavors massaged my palate and the sweetness from the honey, and spice flavors from what tastes like cloves, orange peels, and a hint of vanilla all give this ale a fantastic finish.

2004 Edition
750ml bottle

Pours a hazy yellow-orange color capped by a foamy white head that leaves nice lacing behind. Zesty aroma with the typical witbier characters, only turned up a bit: coriander, pepper, and citrus. Starts off crisp with a coriander and pepper bite along with lemon-orange-citrus zest. Wheat flavors step-up to soften things out. Spices, a light breadiness, and some funky yeast dance in the backround. Alcohol does not show up in the flavor profile. Medium in bodied and siky smooth. A complex wit, but retains the style's crispness. Highly drinkable; could have finished the bottle off myself, but I had to go somewhere. Feed a Hoegaarden some steriods and you will get something almost as good as this. Great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Picked up a 6 pack of this brewsky on the way home after reading some great reviews for a nice witbier (which my wife loves), and I can safely say this is the best I've had yet.

Appearance - Beautiful light yellow, deeply cloudy look, and a nice white foamy head. Perfect for the style.

Smell - Wonderful light lemony odor with a deep spiced coriander undertone.

Taste - Fantastic! The flavor is crisp and refreshing with a touch of lemon and a healthy portion of coriander and other spices.

Mouthfeel - Flavor is incredibely consistent and the aftertaste is phenomenol. Your mouth if going to love you for drinking this beer.

Drinkability - I just flat out loved this brew, the best I've ever had in the Witbier style. It'd probably be even better in the summer, but even in the winter you'll love this. Incredibely refreshing, crisp, and satisfying, you need to try this beer!

Double White Ale from Southampton Publick House