Double White Ale - Southampton Publick House

Double White AleDouble White Ale

Southampton Publick House visit their website
New York, United States

Witbier |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-07-2003)

virinow, Nov 17, 2011

rjvanston, Nov 16, 2011

Rochefort10nh, Nov 26, 2011

whallgren, Nov 25, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +24.2%

I have had this beer many times before
I have drank at the Public house many more times than that, but I wanted to review this beer because to me it is what showed me that public house was more than just a brew pub.

Public House has raised its game a level.

this is a very good witbier

it pours a cloudy golden wheat color with glorios head.

Its not my favorite type of beer but it makes be order it over and over again.

its very smooth, and its the kind of beer that can put a brewery on the map.
entirely drinkable.

One of my favorites for sure. I think Cambridge house has one of my others.

VOR, Dec 11, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +23.4%

pours a very hazy yellow color with a two finger white head that holds fairly well with sheets of lace that hold to the finish. aromas of spice, coriander, and orange. big flavors with this beer, yeast, wheat malt, coriander, orange peel, pepper, ending with a slightly salty tangy finish all balanced for a great taste. mouthfeel is medium and carbonation is good. great tasting beer, if you like the style, don't miss buying it.

billybob, Jul 19, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +22.9%

I have purchased multiple six packs of this from Brawley's Beverage, but the basis for my review is the bottle I had at Flying Saucer Draught Emporium.

A - Pours a nice pale whitish-yellow color, eventually clouded by the yeasty swirl added with the last third of the bottle. A nice white, two finger head formed on top.

S - Like all good witbiers, this one has that slight doughy smell, accented by citrus.

T - Phenomenal. This beer slid across my tongue with the initial doughy flavors I expected from the nose, but the tartness from the yeast and spices was more interesting and complex then I had imagined. Oh, the citrus accents provided by orange peel and coriander are surely there, but there are hints of berries as well. Wonderfully delicious.

M - Undoubtedly, this is a very refreshing beer. Such smooth characteristics that give way to a lifting carbonation.

D - I could easily drink a few or more of these in one session. The alcohol is very well hidden and affects you just enough to let you know it's there.

Notes - To me, this is the perfect witbier. From top to bottom, it was a treat. I've had it with several meals and my highest recommendation for pairing would be with salad, preferably mixed greens with spinach leaves, maybe blueberries, strawberries, and/or grapes as a tomato substitute and a zesty dressing. Honestly though, it went well with a wide assortment from tortillas w/salsa to bbq spare ribs w/corn on the cob.

ShredVicious, Dec 13, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +21.7%

2005. Corked Champagne bottle. A mostly clear, just slightly hazy yellow-gold body teems with life beneath a two-finger head of bright white foam. The head retention is excellent; and it leaves short, solid, fading walls and long splashes of transient lace with each sip.

The nose is delicate with notes of fruit (peach, tangerine, lemon zest), subtle spice (coriander), vanilla, and the occasional whiff of bubblegum.

It's lightly zesty in the mouth with a medium-light body and very fine carbonation that lightly bristles and then warms to become cottony soft.

The flavor follows the lead of the nose, but with a wider breadth. It's initially fruity and wheatish (also with a note of vanilla); becoming more fruity and tart (lemon, tangerine) across the middle; and finishing with a very mild bitterness, some citrus rind, and a touch of spice that lingers oh-so-perfectly.

The balance is impeccable and the drinkability is brilliant! It's an interesting and exciting beer that retains all of its drinkability despite its increased size (and the alcohol never shows)! Not only is it worth seeking out; this is one of the beers that makes the United States the greatest brewing country in the world - where American beers surpass the quality of the originals from their home country!!! Find some!

NeroFiddled, Jun 11, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +21.7%

Mmmmm! I tried this lovely Southampton beer at an Oscar's party, split a bottle with my boyfriend. I could easily have had the whole bottle, but we only had 1 and so we had to share. At least I got some. It was a yellow-gold colour, cloudy, with a big white fluffy head that took a while to go down. It smelled wheaty, with apricots and spice, very nice. It tasted amazing- like a white but with so much more going on! I tasted a definite grape/wine flavor, mixed with peppery spicecake taste and apricots and a hoppy taste near the finish, a bit dry I guess you could say. Mouthfeel was very good, soft and silky, and again, i could've drank the whole bottle, but I can't complain, as I'm very glad to have had any at all.

erica, Mar 02, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

This is from a bomber brought back from SPH by a good friend. Thanks, Dorothy! I drank this in a Kasteel glass.

This beer looks like liquid gold sitting in your glass. Very pretty. No head, however. Just tiny islands and a ring around the glass. Carbonation is evident, but no lacing.

Aroma is a wonderfully clean coriander and orange peel, kind of lemony, bready wheat. Black pepper and a faint green banana smell, also. Inviting.

The taste is just so clean and fresh, it's inspiring. Fresh, tart lemons, coriander, orange peel, black pepper, tart, bready wheat and yeast. Impressive. Most impressive. The aftertaste is of coriander.

Mouthfeel is clean, crisp, and damn refreshing. A pretty good bite from carbonation on your tongue. Just the right amount of residual sugar. Finish is like a sweet-tart candy.

I really don't see how this could be much improved. I don't like to give 5's, but...DAMN!

jakester, Aug 09, 2005
4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

Excellent Witbier!!! Nice color. Smells ok, but could be better. Taste of lemon and orange. More so the orange. Mouthful has a good feeling and very smooth. Smooth feeling leads to very good drinkablity and a good time drinking with friends on any occasion

yuenglingfan101, Nov 09, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

I have had this beer many times. most recently at a fondue restaurant with dinner.

Pours out slightly hazy and light colored with lots of fizz which retains itself preety well compared to others of the style.

Taste is exceptional. It has a lightly hopped great citrus and spice flavor without the overly sour aftertaste. Be careful as unless you read the package you would never know this is a 7% beer. Goes down very smooth and very drinkable.

Easily one of my favorites for the style, and lucky for me its local so easy to find. I do not know about when it is bough out of state but usually reasonably priced around me.

vladimerjr, Jun 28, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

22 ounce bottle. Pours out a hazy golden color with a big white head. The aroma is very fruity, with mostly orange, and some lemon. Lots of coriander in the aroma too. The flavor is tangy wheat, vanilla, fruit, and spice. I know there is orange in this beer, but I also taste peach. Medium mouthfeel. This beer is incredibly refreshing. No sign of the alcohol. One of my favorite Southampton beers. I had it on tap once and it was even better than the bottled version.

beveragecaptain, Oct 23, 2005

Yankees10, Nov 08, 2014
4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle bought at the local 6 pack shop.

Appearance - Poured a light amber color, very cloudy. Firm 3 finger creamy head with slight coloration really sparked my interest.

Smell - Citrusy smell with slight amount of coriander, decent smell, could be slightly better, but still no complaints

Taste - Great Taste. This beer has lemon, orange, pepper, wheat taste. Very drinkable. Could easily have 7 or 8 or 10 of these, but the 7%abv would be kickin my ass, especially because you really can't taste the abv.

Mouthfeel - Crisp Clean, lots of carbonation, Could maybe have more carbonation though, good all the same.

Drinkability - What can I say, A truly spectacular beer. Had quite a few of these, and look forward to many more.

Cheers, Drink Up