Double White Ale - Southampton Publick House

Double White AleDouble White Ale

Southampton Publick House visit their website
New York, United States

Witbier |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-07-2003)

enginero, Feb 11, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -62.2%

UncleAddie, Sep 02, 2013

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A--Golden yellow color. Weak head. Leaves no lace. Kind of dark for a witbier.

S--yeasty, clove and some perfume like smell. Almost rose water.

T--Clove up front with definite alcohol taste and burn. Some hop flavor but a bubblegum taste washes it away.

M--Thick. Oily.

D--Not very tasty or refreshing. A little too many uncomplimentary flavors going on. I'll pass.

jneiswender, Jan 03, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -43.3%

adamwn, Aug 05, 2014
2.38/5  rDev -40.1%

Cloudy orange in appearance with insufficient level of carbonation. The two bottles I drank may have been past their prime, but there's no fucking date on the bottle, so I will proceed with my review. Aroma is of phenolic/medicinal belgian type with a vinous fruit scent as well. Smells like a witbier alright. As for flavor I have to say the witbier style, to me, should be around 5% ABV. The higher alcohol content in this one is very evident, even cold out of the fridge and interacts negatively with the added coriander, orange and lemon peel. Mouthfeel is not quite crisp, and a little thin. Finishes dry. I mean, I did drink two bottles but they weren't as enjoyable as things might have been.

dude, Mar 22, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured this beer from the big bottle to 50 degree tumbler. The beer was a very pale color almost white. It was slighly cloudy with a big white fluffy head that decayed rather quickly. Bubbles in head were really fine. The beer was yeasty tasting and sour which I am no fan of. I will not purchase this beer again.

Minkybut, Apr 08, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -37.5%

Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a clean, lightly cloudy yellow, nowhere near the color I look for in the style, with just a thin cap of white head that had very low retention and no lacing.

The aroma was bland, no grain and just a trace of the expected orange and coriander. The yeast scent was slightly reminiscent of a Tripel. On the tongue, the story was sadly similar, There was no real spice aspect, the grains were very subdued, and there was a bit of a weird funk.

The body was decent, crisp and clean with a nicely dry finish. Drinkability suffered from the blandness and funk, I don't think I want another. Overall, not a good example of the style. I would avoid it unless you want the tick. I was excited to these brews in a local store, and was a bit let down after all the positive things I'd heard about this brewery.

beertunes, Oct 07, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -37%

travishardy929, May 26, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -37%

jfcaa193, Feb 18, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -35.8%

Pale cloudy appearance with a thin head.Aroma is fruit and taste is orange,nutmeg and assorted spices.I'm just not a big fan of these highly spiced beers.This beer as a whole is unimpressive.I would not buy or recommend.I'm not even sure I can finish this one.

matty, May 18, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -33.8%

The appearance is hazy white, gold with a typical head for the style. The aroma is somewhat sour with coriander, citrus, yeast, wheat, and grass. The taste is a muddled mess it's like a cross between a Farmhouse Ale and a Belgian White and I don't like it. The palate is smooth and the best part. Overall it's bad.

nick76, Nov 27, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -32.5%

I gave this beer an 'A-' for the bottle version. I am not so fond of the on-tap brew.

A – Cloudy yellow-orange, with a small-ish head.

S – The smell is of a vague pilsener-style pale malt, and a bit of sweaty funk; these elements are not well-executed. There is a jasmine-orange blossom floral element that does come across nicely.

T – The taste is quite similar to the aroma, except lesser, and they are both different and significantly less impressive than the bottled incarnation of this brew. This tastes a bit macro and honestly like a trainwreck of mediocre German lager and Blue Moon 'wit'.

M – I slammed it quickly. Mostly in anger due to my bad call. They had CCB on-tap, but I just happened to have my fridge stocked full of the CCB varieties they had (Jai-Alai and Cubano Espresso), so I went against the home team. Booo.

D – Good in the bottle, not so good on-tap.

ktrillionaire, Mar 06, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -30.7%

CoCambria, Apr 08, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -30.7%

Selderkin, Feb 17, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -30%

Poured into a wide mouth no stem wine glass.
Slight hazy golden color with little to no white head. No lacing noticed at all.

Smell of light spices as information on bottle states, coriander, orange, and I get a little bit of lemon smell

Light carbonation felt on back of tongue with light lemony, spicy flavor and no hops noticed.

Nice mouthfeel light on tongue and drinks easily.

Good drinkability for a 7% beer. Could drink 4-6 in a session if so desired.

DBoone, Apr 24, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -30%

Very clear and un-cloudy for a white, much less a "double white." A pale yellow color with a little white head. Smells of coriander and citrus. This is my first time trying this, so I'm not sure if this is a bad bottle, but it has some common Belgian white flavors, but all underpinned by a noticeable lambic-like flavor that borders on vinegar. I'm not sure because it isn't an outright vinegar flavor, but has some complexity in it, like a white sparkling wine. I'll try again later.

dedrinker, Dec 19, 2007
2.83/5  rDev -28.7%

Look, this is overated. It was a fresh bottle, thanks to Shadey had at Radekfest 05, sample 21. Its sour! On the plus side is the yeasty aroma and cloudy white appearance. But this brewer should have the skill to control sourness. I don't like over-the-top corriander.

Sammy, Apr 04, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -28.2%

[$5 and change at Wine Gallery, Brookline]

Cloudy dirty yellow with a sizzly big head that lasts and laces, but has a strange soap-sudsy quality. Nose has some cooked corn, hot dog, lemon, coriander, and yeast. Flavor starts with a citrus and butter blast of bubbles which slowly subsides into an even sizzlier version of itself. Very very spicy, though. Maybe when they say "double white" they just doubled the spicing. Peppery and lemony to the max. Thin and pretty rough carbonation. Finishes a little tart, but not really inviting of another sip. Not very interesting in my opinion. Just I-ight, and 22 oz. was enough.

Either my bottle/batch is different, or my taste buds just disagree with most of the ratings. This was thin with harsh carbonation even upon warming, with some decent flavors, but nothing exciting.

waughbrew, Oct 27, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a tulip glass, the Double White is a hazy, pale golden yellow, with a 1 finger head that quickly retreats but leaves nice lace.

Very strong, spicy nose, more curacao then corriander, but both are obvious and dominant. Maybe even a little soap? I didn't really care for the aroma at all, to much and one sided.

After the smell, the taste is better then I feared, but it's still way to much spice, again dominated more by the curacao - just to much bitter orange. Beyond the spice is some graininess, but it's all about the spices here. Where is the yeast and lactic funk??

Well, for a Double wit (which I've never had - are there any others?), it's pretty light, with a nice bubbly tang.

This was not very drinkable. At first served fridge temp, letting it warm helped none at all, it was just to one-sided with the spices.

I am surprised to see this is the highest rated wit beer, it is all spice, no lactic tartness and just not very authentic. I was really expecting a lot more from this, being my first Southampton brew, considering the reputation of Phil Markowski and this brew, and how much I enjoyed his book Farmhouse Ales. I still want to try his other Belgian style brews, but I now less excited to do so. Still, my scores might all be a half point higher then had I no expectations about this beer or brewer...

ccrida, May 30, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A - Poured a golden yellow with a quarter inch white head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing. Streams of effervescence present, but are visible due to this beer being very clear for a witbier.

S - Malt and yeast aroma dominate but little else. Maybe a hint of lemon zest. Unfortunately, this beer smells a little stale.

T - Taste is much like the smell. A harsh cloying taste right up front, almost mead-like. Soured fruit (raisins) hit hard along with an overly tart, still cloying aftertaste. No orange. No lemon. Maybe a hint of coriander but it is masked by the intense sour harshness. I had a hard time getting through this one.

M - Medium carbonation and medium body. Surprisingly dry finish.

O - Either I've gotten an extremely old bottle here or this beer really missed the mark. Judging from the grade, I'm in the minority here. I may try again if given the chance just to see if my initial review was influenced by a bad bottle. Otherwise, I have to say the overly sour flavor of this beer is it's downfall.

FattyJLE, Apr 07, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -27%

Poured a hazy pee-yellow, lots of carbonation bubbles rushing to the top of the glass, but when they settled there wasn't a whole lot going on. Smells... odd. Berry-like slightly vinegaric smell. I'll bet something's off, but the aroma isn't too bad, so let
s keep going. Tastes much like it smells, except stronger. Tastes kind of like an infected bottle, but is still sort of drinkable. Tastes like a half-watery, half-vinegaric wit. Sippable, if not desired. I'm guessing it isn't supposed to taste like this.

damienblack, Jul 25, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours cloudy/hazy orange yellow with very thin white head.No lacing whatsoever.Even for unfiltered, there is a lot of stuff floating around in here! Scent is that of lemons and/or oranges.Taste is unexpectedly bitter, citrus; very oily in taste and mouthfeel.

CaptJackHarkness, Oct 26, 2011

k47k, Aug 21, 2014

Appearance: Peachy pale and opaque, with small white head.

Smell: Very Grand Marnier, citrus.

Taste: Totally orange, and with the carbonation and mouthfeel, this Beer tasted and felt like orange crush. Funny, because I've always hated that nasty soft drink, but I didn't turn my nose completely on this Beer. I'll give it another shot eventually, if I ever get to sample it at the Publick House...

Goldorak, Oct 29, 2004

a: Light head, almost no lacing; clear golden yellow; very light carbonation
S: sweet sulfer (lit match smell) with sime light fruits
T: Light bitterness in the back of the mouth. Flavor finishes quick and clean
m: smooth, light, or at best a medium body.
d: First beer of the night. Higher than normal alcohol has be buzzing quick. Not much here to make me want to drink more.

NiceGuyMike, Apr 01, 2009