Double White Ale - Southampton Publick House

New York, United States

Witbier |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-07-2003

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a large flared tulip glass from a 12oz brown long neck bottle with a crimped cap.

Cloudy,straw colored with a 2" fluffy white head dissapating a bit quick to a creamy looking coating. Lots of streams of extra tiny bubbles in the center of the glass racing to the surface.Just some slight spotty lacing.

Good clean,fresh,moderate aroma clovey,yeasty,slight notes of bannana,hints of corriander,an orangy/lemony citrus aroma,and a strong wheat grain aroma,inviting and complex aroma.

Clove,spicy,yeasty,peppery with some corriander,lemony,very clean. Finishes with a good,crisp,complex citrus taste with a nice touch of tartness.
The 7% alcohol was not even noticable.

Light,creamy mouthfeel with an inticing grainyness. Very refreshing and easy drinking. Would love to drink this one again.

4.36/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Looks awesome. Light yellow, decent head, leaves nice lacing. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

S - Didn't really pick up anything noticable. Rather plain.

T - Alot more body than it's "witbier" designation. It has a decent amount of maltiness. I'm guessing this is the "double" part of the beers name. Good spice, alot of sharpness too. It's damn fine.

M - Carbonation, light and crisp with a nice aftertaste. Very easy and light bodied.

D - For being 7%, you can really put this one away. It's a great buy for a hot day, perfect for that.

4.16/5  rDev +5.1%

Picked this up recently since spring is nearly here and the liquor store was nearly out of this. I've heard good things about Southampton's offerings, and this is the first that I've ever tried from them. Even though it's not quite warm out, this beer is perfect for this time of the year! It really took me by surprise, and even though I'm not 100% sure what a "double white" is, I can say that it's not a hyberbole in any sense of the word!

This had an absolutely great pour and appearance to it. - right up there with Weihenstephaner! Great head, nice lacing, a subtly beautiful golden straw hue, and the cloudiness that I got after swirling the last bit and pouring it in...just heaven! For the taste, I was expecting a witbier, but that's not quite what this is. Sure, there's coriander, grass, straw, and a hit of banana and clove here, but this struck me more as being a farmhouse saison type; as if it were a distant cousin of an Ommegang brew. Not that it's a bad thing (apologies to Seinfeld)! Instead of it being too similar to a Hoegaarden, Erdinger, Schnieder Weisse, or even the Sam Adams White Ale, this stands out apart from them. It's heavier, maltier, and the aftertaste is very reminiscent of the saison type that I already mentioned. It lingers well, and has the right amount of sourness to hold me over until the next sip. I've just never had anything quite like this before!

I can certainly feel the 7.00% ABV here, and as I already stated, this is good for this time of the year since it's not light like other brews of this style. It's having a very nice warming effect on me, without being roasted and heavy like a weizenbock or winter warmer. Certainly good for people like me, who love lighter styles and wish for some variation among them!

Southampton's got a winner here, hands down. Finding something this simplistic up front with a nice depth and range in it is always a treat, and it only makes me wish that more of their highly-touted beers were available in my beloved Garden State. For the $7.99 that I paid for this 6-pack, there's no doubt in my mind that this was the perfect beer to start off spring with!

3.82/5  rDev -3.5%

Golden and cloudy. Relatively small head that distributes light lace on the side of the glass.

Strong farmhouse aromas much like Biere du Garde from France. Strong wheat aromas and fresh yeast, as expected.

Spicy flavors up front. Very high, but tight-bubbled carbonation, almost like champagne. The aftertaste has a light sourness that lasts for a long time. The body is heavier than most in this style. Some alcohol warmth at the end, too.

Okay, this is my least favorite style. Take that into consideration if you are reading this review. I believe that this is a well made witbier. If you like this style, I would certainly give it a try. My wife who likes this style very much said it was on the bitter side for her and that this one was "okay".

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Picked up a 6 pack of this brewsky on the way home after reading some great reviews for a nice witbier (which my wife loves), and I can safely say this is the best I've had yet.

Appearance - Beautiful light yellow, deeply cloudy look, and a nice white foamy head. Perfect for the style.

Smell - Wonderful light lemony odor with a deep spiced coriander undertone.

Taste - Fantastic! The flavor is crisp and refreshing with a touch of lemon and a healthy portion of coriander and other spices.

Mouthfeel - Flavor is incredibely consistent and the aftertaste is phenomenol. Your mouth if going to love you for drinking this beer.

Drinkability - I just flat out loved this brew, the best I've ever had in the Witbier style. It'd probably be even better in the summer, but even in the winter you'll love this. Incredibely refreshing, crisp, and satisfying, you need to try this beer!

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Big foamy head from the pour, and a cloudy yellow, with very fine particulate visible only when holding to the light along with a bit of carbonation. Small lace. Smells like juicy fruit, only not as fake a scent as others. Stong orange, grapefruit and wheat. Appetizing.

Mouth is buzzy. Best way to put it. Across my tounge and in the swallow, it seemed like a very alive beer, really fresh with a thick wheat aftertaste. This is great.

Taste? It's a winner thus far. It beats Great Lakes hands down. The hops bitter but not dominant enough to make this taste as the mouth feel was, Alive. The orange peel flavor was very nice but not fake tasting and the overal wheat/malt flavors blended well, and the extra ABV was not noticeable. Very nice.

For a six pack of this, to beat out my hometown Great Lakes, in price and flavor, I'm really starting to like this style and Hefes and wheat beers in general. Get this and chew.

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours pale, cloudy, light gold. A moderate, dense white head rose to an inch upon pouring, and receded to a skim coat, followed by a few mere whisps of bubble threads on the surface. Some subtle lacework was evident at first, but dissapated after a few sips.
Aromatics are spicy, zesty, and fruity. Lemon zest and coriander take the lead, with notes of wet straw, cracked cumin, and mint follow through.
Mouthfeel is a quenching balance of crispiness and creamyness. Carbonation is medium and slightly spritzy.
The pallet is filled with citric twang, balanced spicing, and an earthy dryness. Lemon overtones layered on orange zest, white pepper, spearmint, and a slight citic bite of corainder. A yeasty, almost funky follow-through adds some nice depth and complexity.
A more substantial grain bill and alcohol level keeps this double white from being watery.
Finishes drying, slightly warming, and approachable for the next sip.
At $7.99 per sixer, this beer kicks Allagash white out of the beer cellar.

3.4/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a slightly hazy yellow color with better than a full finger white head that is kept alive by volcanic effervescence. There is almost no lacing.

The smell is a lemon grassy hop and Belgian yeast. As it warms up the spicy nature reveals itself.

The mouth feel is immediately fizzy with an intense ting from the hop and carbonation. That sensation subsides to a dry finish. It has a rather light body without being watery. I've got to stop drinking wit beer because I'm getting that grainy sand texture residue on my tongue again. Alert the medics.

The wheat flavor is complimented by a spicy coriander. I would imagine that this would appeal to those fond of this style. Not for me, but I'm glad that i had the opportunity to try it.

3.87/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a hazy golden colour with a chunky white head that has a fair amount of retention and that also leaves a nice bit of residue on the glass.

The aroma is a mix of orange, lemon, coriander, grain and slight hints of spice. It's light and simple overall, but well balanced and refreshing.

The flavour continues where the aroma leaves off. The lemon is the most dominant flavour here, although it blends nicely with the rest and is cut well with the grain in order to prevent this one from being too sweet and or fruity/juice-like. Spice mixes in a bit toward the middle and hits even more so at the finish. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly and simply easy drinking overall.

This is an enjoyable spring/summer type brew. It's well balanced, brings a good amount of flavour and is quite refreshing. Solidly brewed and worth a try.

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

It seems like everything is becoming double these days with beer. Double IPA, Double Stout, Double Pilsner, and now Double White. This beer poured a sort of a boring, somewhat murky pale orange, with a very small head, and a good stream of bubbles rising to the surface. Smell was an improvement, with that classic clean witbier aroma. Also I picked up on some orange flavors, and some dry grains. Taste had some great dryness in the front, followed by a bit of sour fruityness in the back. I can't quite put my finger on what this last lingering flavor is, it is sort of sour fruit mashed with a powdery medicine. Mouthfeel was the highlight for this beer in that there was perfect carbonation. Even with the 7% alcohol, I think I could make a session out of this beer. I enjoyed this one quite a lot. It seems to be on hiatus at the moment, but luckily I know where there is some more. Good job to Southampton Brewery.

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

22 oz. bomber bottle with a simple New England or Belgian farm house (your choice) that's colored wintergreen/white. Above the big blue letters of "Double White Ale" is a lime green shield with hops in one corner and barley in the opposite corner. Just above that is the blue Southampton banner. If you can read really small print, then under "Double White Ale" you'll be able to read "Ale Brewed with Spices." To the far left of the farm house is the barcode and Government warning and to the far right is the refund price and the address of Southampton Publick House. Information about the beer can be found on the small bright lime green neck label that has a circus drawing of the Southampton Publick House. There is no back label or even a date for that matter. That means you'll have no idea when this beer was brewed or it's best before date. My bottle has to recent because Southampton just came to Ohio. I just noticed that on the neck label is a reserve number in Roman numerals. I have no idea what that means.

Appearance: When poured into a Samuel Smith Imperial pint glass, the beer is a translucent pale gold lemon yellow. If Southampton could have actually got the color of this beer to be white, then they would have done it, but this IMO is the closest whitish color they could get to. My eyes enjoyed the color of this beer. It had big creamy fluffy pillowy white head of foam that was probably about half an inch in height. When it receded away, it left behind loads of white rings and just a trace of white spotty lace. When I poured it, I noticed that there was particles of yeast without a care in the world just floating around the glass. After about 2 minutes the yeast particles finally settled down at the bottom of the glass.

Smell: When I first smelled the beer, the aroma was just malted wheat, lemons, pepper, and a few spices. When I swirled it around the aroma was a bit different. Swirling the beer around the glass got the juicy fruits as well as a hint of coriander to emerge from the far depths of the aroma. Then the juicy fruits and the hint of coriander blended into the malted wheat, lemons, pepper, and spices to create a very well rounded Witbier aroma.

Taste: The taste had some tart bitterness to it, but not so much that that it ruined the taste and made every taste in this beer way to bitter. Behind the tart bitterness is the malted wheat, a few spices, peppery hops, lemon, a touch of bread, Belgian yeast, and the slightest taste of coriander and orange peel at the end. I believe this is the best Witbier I've tasted so far. Southampton did a good job on the taste. I think I would have liked a bit more coriander and orange peel in the taste, but I know I can't have everything.

Mouthfeel: It was medium bodied, not to dry, and with an aftertaste of malted wheat, orange peel, and Belgian yeast. It really masked it's medium sized alcohol 7% content. Instead I thought I was drinking a full flavored low ABV% beer.

Drinkability: This is one Southampton/Witbier that I've wanted to try ever since I heard Southampton came to Ohio. Let me tell you, it didn't disappoint one bit. This is the best Witbier I've tasted so far. Could I drink it again in the near future? Oh yeah! Is it refreshing on a cold day? Yep! This another one of those tall bomber bottles where it's contents seem to disappear into thin air. I would be proud if Southampton borrowed the picture of my farmhouse and put it on their Double White Ale. That is if I lived in a farmhouse.

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Served chilled from a 22 oz bottle and poured into a large Duvel tulip glass.

Pours a pale, hazy, lemon color with a bright white, sudsy head rising to about 1 1/2 fingers thick and then fizzling out to an eggshell surface layer. Lemongrass aroma right up front with a splash of orange peel as well. Some coriander there too, but an underlying scent that gets drowned out by the citrus peel aroma. Very pleasent really. Prickly carbonation up front along with big orange peel flavor that is quickly followed by a wheat-flavored body. This is just less than sweet of being almost like a Mikes Hard Lemonade, which I hate to admit that I love really, but it gives me heartburn. The finish is quick and bitey from some alcohol discovered. Body is medium-light and it is seemingly very easy to drink. It's a Southampton brew, so what else do you expect than the best?

Cloudy straw yellow colour with a brilliant white head. The foam rose to about an inch off the pour, mostly mid-sized bubbles, then fell to a short cap leaving a bit of lacing behind. Crackery aroma with plenty of coriander, a little peppery spice and mild funk. There are also some lemony citrus notes that are also quite strong up front in the flavour. It's a little acidic, with balanced coriander flavour, some smooth wheat sweetness, and a dry finish that leaves just a little peppery spice on the tongue. There's an underlying farmhouse quality as well. Medium bodied with ample carbonation. Good stuff. Another enjoyable brew from Southampton.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

22oz. Bomber

This is my first encounter with Southampton. Poured a lightly cloudy straw golden. There's a huge amount of carbonation rising like a tornado from the bottom of my pilsner glass. The head, when poured, was 1+ finger of rocky airy goodness but quickly faded to a light cap. The carbonation is unstoppable. Leaves some airy lacing after each drink that slowly falls back into the body.

I really like a good white ale when I'm in the mood. So the idea of a double white really interested me. I really wasn't sure what to expect. The nose really sends home what this beer is supposed to be. It has all the white aromas but they are much bigger than usual. When I first opened the bottle all I melled was orange. After the pour lemon took over. Starts off dusty. Then comes a generous squeeze of lemon. Big coriander and if you smell deep the lemon that was there at the beginning. After all this you get a solid dose of spicy yeast and a pinch of white pepper.

The flavor is very much the same as the smell. Again, being a double white, the flavors are a lot bigger than traditional whites. Theres a splash of lemon to start things off along with some coriander. There may be a little too much coriander. Mid-palate the spiciness of the yeast and the white pepper show up and finish things off with the oriander in the background. I said there is too much coriander but that's just me finding a fault. It's a very good flavorful beer.

The mouthfeel fits this beer really well. The body is light and refreshing. The huge amount of carbonation is surprisingly soft on the tongue but does wake up the tastebuds with a stimulating tingle.

The drinkability is good. I'm drinking this now and it's winter. I'm not getting the full refreshing, thirst quenching expierence that I would if it was hotter outside but I can only imagine how good this would be to drink on a hot 90+ summer day. One bomber is enough for now but I'd be good with a cooler of these in the summer.

This is an excellent beer from Southampton and as exciting as a white ale can get. I'm glad I got my hands on this one and I'm looking forward to trying some of their other beers in the near future.

Slainte!

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pilsner glass.

First appearance was of a golden-straw wheat yellow haze. The head was light and quite frothy. The head nearly disappeared while leaving a sticky lace on the side of the glass.

The aroma was of a mild lemon, coriander, orange medly. The smell was of pure anticipation.

This was just an absoulte pleasure to taste. The light efferecent bubbles were not displeasing at all. The taste was very smooth on my throat. This was served cold. Very, very pleasing to the palate. The mild spiciness added to the citrusy/fruit taste made it very refreshing.

This beer was a great find. I can see wanting more than just one glass. You hardly notice the alcohol content as it is very smooth. I would highly recommend the South Hampton Double White Ale, especially in the summer. I would love to make my way out to the brewery to sample much more of this and others.

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Shared with eheff after a very tasty dinner.

A: Pours a very cloudy peachish color with a frothy yeasty white head. Nice swirling retention. Excellent looking thick sticky white lacing all down the glass.
S: Nice yeasty esters coupled with spices. Orange peel zest, lemon zest, and other citrus notes. Sweet twangy tart notes are also present but lingering towards the rear.
T/M: Wow! Yeasty and citrus zest right from the get go. Orange peel, coriander, and lemon zest are all present. Peppery notes and a good level of spicyness comes through. Zippy carbonation shocks the tastebuds leaving a sticky, sugary, and sweet trail on the tongue. Thicker than I expected it to be, although quite smooth and crisp on the palate. A powerful Wit this one is.
D: Extremely drinkable--would grab this beer in a second if I saw it again. Southampton continues to do great things. Two thumbs up here.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

An odd beer to find on tap in November, but a good one nonetheless. The beer pours a cloudy golden yellow with a bubbly white head. Nice lacing. The nose is muted banana, and a certain sourness. Not very strong of a scent.

The taste is similar. There is a distinct banana flavor upfront, followed by spices.The wheat character shows through as well. The finish is a bit hoppy and bitter, which balances out the sweet fruits nicely. Mouthfeel thin, drinkability good. Overall a great summer brew. Heck, a great brew anytime.

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%

I purchased this a few weeks ago at Downtown Wine & Spirits. I let this warm and served it in one of my Duvel tulips.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy straw-golden with a fluffy, white head that slowly fades to a persistent film leaving sparse lace that clings to the side of the glass.

Smell: Notes of bananas and oranges. Swirling brings out the tart orange aromas as well as spicy notes of black pepper and coriander. There's also a strong yeasty aroma and a light hint of grain.

Taste: The taste is fruity and spicy, much like the aroma. Initially a a light spiciness meets the tongue, followed by a nice orange and banana fruitiness. Peppery and coriander spice become evident in the center before fading into a lightly bitter finish with a pleasant residual sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, crisp carbonation, with a pleasing smoothness.

Drinkability: Flavorful and refreshing.

Overall: A unique take on a Belgian Wit. The spices and flavors are dead on, but the "Double Gravity" adds a little something extra.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

While pouring out this beer a nice pillowy head develops but fades after a few seconds leaving a wispy, white ring. The appearance is like golden fog, like the color of a grapefruit rhine minus the hints of red. The smell is a medley of tropical citrus aroma with Belgian yeast and light spice. Refreshing and inviting, but maybe a bit short on intensity. Lemon and coriander spice dominate the taste, with a sweet breadiness to match. The finish is a bit drying, and for a 7% Witbier I don't notice the alcohol. Plenty of yeastiness in the flavor also. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy from the foam bubbles, excellent.

Overall a fine American interpretation. Very drinkable, plenty of flavor. I would recommend this beer, especially considering the price for a bomber ($3.99). Thanks to OldSock for the trade...

2.85/5  rDev -28%

[$5 and change at Wine Gallery, Brookline]

Cloudy dirty yellow with a sizzly big head that lasts and laces, but has a strange soap-sudsy quality. Nose has some cooked corn, hot dog, lemon, coriander, and yeast. Flavor starts with a citrus and butter blast of bubbles which slowly subsides into an even sizzlier version of itself. Very very spicy, though. Maybe when they say "double white" they just doubled the spicing. Peppery and lemony to the max. Thin and pretty rough carbonation. Finishes a little tart, but not really inviting of another sip. Not very interesting in my opinion. Just I-ight, and 22 oz. was enough.

Either my bottle/batch is different, or my taste buds just disagree with most of the ratings. This was thin with harsh carbonation even upon warming, with some decent flavors, but nothing exciting.

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%

A: GORGEOUS beer! This looks like a lemon merangue pie. Cloudy vibrant yellow body with a creamy snow white head.

S: Fresh and lively....yeast, banana, cloves, coriander and graham.

T: Begins with watery orange juice, school lunch style...mixed with lemon zest, cantelope and pineapple. Very tropical actually, with the pineapple and banana being some of the most prominent flavors. Very citrusy on the tip of the tongue. Aftertaste is lightly grassy, slight vanilla and pina colada.

M: Medium body, juicy and refreshing.

D: This is a very enjoyable beer, a tad of the sweet side though. I fear this beer could get cloying after a while. Regardless, quite enjoyable.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

22oz bomber obtained in a trade with BigErn

appearance: pours into a la chouffe tulip-esque glass...hazy copper-golden body, lovely beige foam cap that retains itself pretty nicely...a very nice looking brew indeed

smell: big yeasty aroma greets the nose first, fresh wheat, clove, lemongrass, very light alcohol, honey...fresh and potent nose

taste: very clean and refreshing, fresh bold wheat flavour comes first, high yeast level, strongly spiced - pepper, clove...honey, lemongrass, much more full and satisfying body than a lighter witbier. Interesting beer for sure, glad i got the try

mouthfeel: fresh, zesty, medium body, active carbonation...nice

drinkabilty: good

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Southampton Double White

Served from 22oz bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours cloudy and golden with small bubbles of carbonation streaming to the surface. A small, tightly foamed white head tops the beer. Sheets of lacing fall from the sides of the goblet.

Smell: Very fragrant with cloves, honey, lemon and banana wafting from the glass. A very pleasant smelling beer.

Taste: Starts crisp with hints of sweet honey, with a touch of lemon and banana thrown it. Very herbal and spicy. Cloves and white pepper come to mind with a definite wheat undertones. Finished dry with a lingering banana, lemon, wheat aftertaste. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and well carbonated with a medium mouthfeel, coats the mouth nicely with an abundance of flavors.

Drinkability/Notes: Southampton Double White is very drinkable. A nice example of a Belgian Wit with plenty of lemon, banana and spicy cloves in the flavor profile. Crisp and somewhat dry makes this a beer that can go down pretty quickly. I could drink this all day. Seek out and enjoy this delicious Double White, another fine effort from the folks at Southampton. Highly recommended. Delicious.

A - Pours a hazy straw yellow with a thin creamy white head.

S - Spice and lemony citrus with a strong yeasty presence.

T - Solid wheat backbone with a strong lemon and peppery spice presence. Some orange peel and coriander is also detectable as well as a slightly bready yeast characteristic. This one definitely tastes like a beefed up wit.

M - Thin to medium body with a good amount of carbonation and a nice dry finish.

D - A very good easy drinking wit.

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Quite an interesting brew. The high alcohol makes it a fairly drinkable beer, and a different one at that, at different temperatures. Generally as a rule i dont care for witbiers as they warm, but this one was totally different and elicited some new flavors as it warmed.

Pours a golden hazy yellow with a huge, quickly dissipating head. Citrus, especially orange and grapefruit hit the palate and nose. A bit tart to the palate, but well rounded. Extremely tingly on the tongue - full bodied for the style.

Interesting beer. Way to go southampton - push the envelope.

Double White Ale from Southampton Publick House