Weasel Boy Anastasia Russian Imperial Stout - Weasel Boy Brewing Company

2012 GABF Gold Medal winner
Ratings: 69 | Reviews: 9
Reviews by BlackHoleBrew42:
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Presentation: Had on tap at the brewery. Arrived in a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: #/4 finger of dark tan head. Settles to a thin coating with nice lacing. The beer itself is as black as midnight.

Smell: Strong malt with roastiness and bitter coffee. Hints of sweet chocolate.

Taste: Coffee upfront with husky grains in the finish. Medium to strong bitterness lingers.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is very good.

Drinkability: Very nice. Smooth and creamy yet extremely flavorful. I would be curious to know the ABV.

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Growler shared by Keffa during breakfast while we waited for Jackie O's to open for the recent bottle release.

This thing was filled from the award-winning batch that took (bronze?) at the GABF last year. The damn thing was a few months old. I definitely made a crack or two about how flat it would be after such a long wait, but lo and behold I was dead wrong - the growler opened with a tight hiss akin to twisting the cap off a fresh Pepsi 2 liter. Damn. Well done Kef/Weasel Boy on the tight cap and proper storage of this thing!

On to the review:

Poured into a glass taster, a heavy looking black beer that turned out to be thinner than it appeared. Got a decent khaki head off of an average pour.

I didn't get too much aroma, but between the age of the growler and the size of my glass I suppose this is to be expected. What was there was primarily made up of some light charred wood and sweet chocolate and alcohol esters.

Man, this beer is bitter! Not what I was expecting from a RIS, they used a ton of hops in this brew - I really wish I could taste some really fresh now to see how the hops are at full force.

After the hop onslaught I noticed that the beer was very dry, almost woody. Lots of roasted malt begins to come through the heavy hopping. More charcoal weaves in and out of the flavor profile, and the beer finishes with a toffee sweetness that leads into more dry bitterness.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied, but almost too dry. I doubt the age is too much to blame for this, though there's no way it helped the situation.

Despite the dryness, Anastasia is a very drinkable beer. I wound up having two tastings plus I finished half of my wife's as well. The abv was very well masked. I would definitely drink this again fresh.

4.63/5  rDev +17.2%

Weasel Boy Anastasia RIS on tap at the Weasel taproom in Zanesville, Ohio. A special tapping of a 2008 keg! (thanks are due to brewmaster/owner Jay).

Appearance: Black, huge creamy head, easily the biggest head I've ever seen in a beer. Some thick lacing.

Smell: Mocha chocolate aromas, sugar, some bitter coffee.

Taste: Upfront bitterness, roasty taste. More chocolate as it goes down. Beautiful sweetness/creaminess.

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation, medium body. "Feels just right". Very well balanced, full flavor.

Drinkability: Easy. Despite the 8.8% ABV, Anastasia drinks fine. Could be sessioned/chugged! Very smooth and creamy.

One of the most delicious and balanced RIS I have tried. Too bad it is so hard to get.

A-Deep, dark black/brown with a medium, frothy head that slowly reduces to a thin cap and leaves thick lacing.

S-Dark chocolate, roasted malt, freshly ground espresso beans and a touch of brown sugar.

T-Rather strong bitter roasted malt with mellowing notes of dark chocolate and espresso. Earthy hop bite in the finish.

M-Medium body with nice lingering flavour and lingering bitterness.

D-A very approachable, easy to drink and solid RIS. I can see why this won a GABF medal....it does just about everything right and very little wrong. A quality, true to style brew for sure.

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Did someone order extra fusals in their beer? Man the heat that comes from this beer would rival many hot sauces. Mid-way thought the palate, the beer takes on rocket-fuel proportions, but before hand it screams everything you'd ever want in the style. God-awful amounts of barley, roasted barly, coffee, cocoa, cherries, licorice, black pepper, currants, berries... this could go on a while. Given all of these flavors are stand-outs, this beer could use some age to meld. But then the alcohols set in and could take on any cough syrup out there. A very deep and well formulated brew, but man'o man, put this on the shelf for a year or more.

Notes from '08 NHC

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

2008 aged. Same batch that won Bronze at GABF.

A: Pitch black, brown 2 finger head, leaves some decent lacing for the style.

S: Dark roast malt, chocolate, coffee, caramel, a little toasted nuts, and a little tiny bit of hop.

T: Heavy chocolate, toasted malt, a little bit of a bitter hop, and a little alcohol but very little.

M: Creamy and smooth.

D: Oh yeah. Very. Can't wait for the 2010.

I know why they won a bronze now. I thought the regular was good, this 2 year aged is phenomenal.

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

64oz Growler was included in a recent trade...poured quickly into a snifter.

Looks pretty damn good initially when poured into my glass. Nice 2 finger brown head above a dark brown body with ruby edging. Not the typical black hole as with more serious Imperial Stouts. Head fades quickly leaving just an outer ring of tan/brown.

I don't get a lot of aroma from this...but do get a bit of smoke, maybe a bit of espresso and chocolate, plus a slight fruity ester. Not a lot of hop or roast to speak of.

I let this warm a bit before tasting...First impression was that there's not a lot of roast in the flavor either. More of a chocolate, fig, raisin, caramel kind of beer. This reminds me more of a Porter than Imperial Stout. The hop bitterness is very well balanced with the chocolate, especially in the finish. The alcohol is well hidden, but appears right at the very end in a good way. I really enjoy this, but again thinking Porter as I drink it.

Light to medium body, carbs a bit low but it was from a growler, and the finish of this beer makes me want to keep drinking it...real nice bitter chocolate/alcohol/coffee mix that works well.

Thinking I would drink this one again if I saw it on the shelf...but can't give it a high score as an Imperial Stout, but possibly as an Imperial Porter? I would be real interested in trying the barrel aged version..think the bourbon would play nice with the chocolate in this one.

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

Growler shared by Keffa for breakfast at Fluff bakery right before Jackie O's latest release, it was about 7am. There was enough to allow me to have 3 sampler glasses, so thats 12oz. What a way to kick off the day.

A- Kef admitted this growler was filled before Thanksgiving, but remained sealed in his fridge since. If Im honest, I had my doubts about how this would have weathered, actually we all did. Surprisingly the beer still hissed when the cap was removed. The pours all yielded a loose mocha head that stuck around, even leaving lacing. Very un-three-month-old-growler-ish.

S- After recently having a good few pints of the BA version with plum puree on tap at Bodega I was looking forward to trying the base version. The BA version had me thinking this was going to be a pretty sweet beer. One whiff and I'm wrong. This is much, much more roast prominent than I expected. There is some sweeter chocolate and dark fruits, but hops and charcoal and ash dominate. Hops seem to smell pretty strange. Perhaps they are starting to loose most of their character, but currently they smell like wet weasels.

T- After smelling this beer, the taste was a little less of a surprise. It is indeed very roasty. Its still pretty hoppy as well with both characteristics combining to create quite the bitter affinity.

M- Its pretty dry with a lingering bitterness and charred malts hanging around. I wanted this beer to be smooth and sweeter, but as an old school style RIS its pretty spot on.

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Sample at Mulholland Brewing Company. Pours black with a metallic sheen around the edges. Thin light brown head that burns away steadily. Thin rings of lacing on the glass. The aroma consists of coffee and malt, with touches of bittersweet chocolate. Rich body with roasted malt and coffee flavors along with dark chocolate and hops. The finish is roasty with a lingering bitter coffee finish. Solid all around.

Weasel Boy Anastasia Russian Imperial Stout from Weasel Boy Brewing Company