Sun Woo Kong Imperial Monkey IPA - Laurelwood Public House & Brewery
No picture uploaded.
Have one? Upload it now.
Ratings: 3 | Reviews: 3 | Display Reviews Only:
3.98/5 rDev -0.3%
Had this on tap last summer at the NE Sandy Blvd. Laurelwood in Portland, Oregon. The colour was orange-amber at the top half and more of an orange-gold at the base. The aroma was resinously citrusy with hints of Seville marmalade. On the palate, a sweet, resinous quality with loads of hops and grapefruit skin, pith and pulp. This was especially bitter on the back of the palate with a long, sweet, bitter finish. Nice!
12-29-2009 04:43:06 | More by slaintemhor
4/5 rDev +0.3%
Had on-tap 8/22 at the 51st brewpub into a pint glass.
Poured a deep copper color with a one inch off-white head. Sank to a cap that retained well and left some pretty good lacing.
Aroma was of course very hoppy with lots of citrus, but quite a bit of spicy and piney notes. A bit of caramel malt sweetness balances things out a bit.
Taste is about the same as the aroma would suggest - citrusy hops with the same spicy character and piney notes coming out as well. It's bitter, but not overly so due to a lot of malt, so it adds a slight sweetness. Overall, the hops reign supreme though.
Mouthfeel was medium in body, a nice mild carbonation level keeps it from being too bracing.
A good beer overall but I enjoyed the Workhorse IPA much more and would prefer it over this one.
08-24-2009 02:01:51 | More by roadhouse
4/5 rDev +0.3%
Just had this today, so I will review this fresh beer while my memory is still fresh...
- Dark clear copper color with fuzzy white head.. a finger stuck around a long time and kept leaving rings of lace down the glass as I drank it. Very nice..
- Smell is much like their Deranger Red Ale but with a bit more spice... major citrus hop notes and a flare of pine perfectly balanced with a bit of sweet brown sugar-like malt and bitterness... overall very well balanced and hides the alcohol well.
- Taste is much exactly the same as the smell... just replace the word "smell" w/ taste. A nice sweet hop nectar bomb.... citrus, brown sugar, hops hops and some hops... bitterness is just right... no burn at all.
- Bit chewy, somewhat dry and sticky.. hops and strength of course.
- Very drinkable.. would love growlers of this stuff. Bit foamy for me.. and I still like the Workhorse better because of the drinkability... but this one is too very drinkable, and a must try if you can get to it!
08-20-2009 00:17:38 | More by Docer
Sun Woo Kong Imperial Monkey IPA from Laurelwood Public House & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.