2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stingy Jack Pumpkin Ale - Laurelwood Public House & Brewery

Pumpkin Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

2010 (draught) ~ 7.1%
2011 (bottle) ~ 7.5%

Created with roasted whole pumpkin, toasted pumpkin seeds and organic pumpkin purée.

(Beer added by: Docer on 10-15-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 45 | Reviews: 18 | Show All Ratings:
tastymug

3.69/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Hazy, deep, reddish amber with minimal head
S: Very aromatic pumpkin ale; spicy with hints of cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg; subtle pumpkin.
T: Good balance between spicy and pumpkin flavors, and leans a bit more towards the spicy side. It’s malty but not too sweet. Balanced in a very drinkable way.
M: Medium-bodied and creamy mouthfeel. The body also contributes to its drinkability.
O: I love a good pumpkin ale, and I’m also very picky about my pumpkin ales. I’d say this one can be placed within my top 10 favorites. Southern Tier’s Pumking still dominates as my ultimate favorite pumpkin ale, but I would definitely drink the Laurelwood Pumpkin Ale again. It’s one of the better ones from the West coast I tried this season.

11-12-2013 03:20:41 | More by tastymug
Distilled

3.91/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

First time taste. Bottled 8-Oct-13, tasting 13-Oct-13 - - the freshness is notable. Bottle to pint glass @ 38ºF - let stand 15m.

Appearance is slightly hazy, but a very nice amber color with a fairly light off-white head. Mix of small to large bubbles.

Smell is spicy, not much pumpkin and I can't pin down the spices right now (congested), but it has a pleasant smell and I think I'm getting a dominant clove nose.

Taste is very good, well balanced spice, pumpkin, and malt flavors and I don't feel like any of them dominate. I would personally look for just a touch more spice and pumpkin, but this is solid tasting beer none the less.

Mouthfeel is really nice, slightly creamy, moderate body, carbonation in this beer is spot on for me.

Overall I'd say this is very tasty beer. I think a warmer temperature does the beer some good, during my initial tastes the beer was pretty cold, but as it warmed up the spices started to shine through a little more and come up to a level I like, but I was still lacking the desired pumpkin and ginger profile. I would certainly buy this beer again however; nice work on this Laurelwood.

10-13-2013 22:47:29 | More by Distilled
NOLTERN

2.6/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I poured this from a bottle into a pint glass. I made sure that it was not too cold so that I would be able to experience the spices in full. This proved to be a dissapoint, as there were little to no spices present. I was confused at first and thought that maybe they had bottled the wrong brew into this pumpkin ale bottle. I soon realized my initial mistake was actually the purchase of this "pumpkin" ale. There was NO pumpkin aroma and or taste. Once again, the spices were BARELY present. Overall, I would say that this would make a decent amber ale, but a very poor pumpkin ale at best. The price charged for this dissapointment is gut wrenching. Laurelwood makes some great beer, but unfortunately, this is not one of them.

09-11-2013 07:21:22 | More by NOLTERN
Smurf2055

3.55/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Burgundian (Publican).

Pours a dark amber.

Smell is faint pumpkin spices.

Taste is a bit more hoppy than the classic pumpkin beer, regular pumpkin spices are hidden behind the hop presence.

It’s less sweet but more drinkable than most. Pretty good beer.

07-15-2013 03:18:26 | More by Smurf2055
beertunes

Washington

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clean, clear dark amber color with about 1/2 inch of off-white head that had OK retention and no lacing.

The first scent was that of pumpkin pie spice, with just a bit of malt sweetness in the background. The spice totally dominated the tongue, and, again, the malt was on the sweet side. I didn't actually pick up any pumpkin in the flavor.

The body was good and smooth, but the sharp spice lingered on the finish. Drinkability would depend on one's taste for the spices and pumpkin. Overall, a fairly typical take on the style. Admittedly, I don't really care for pumpkin, or pumpkin beers, but this was better than many I've had. YMMV. Worth trying if you see it.

01-11-2013 21:14:18 | More by beertunes
flagmantho

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a dimpled mug.

Appearance: dark golden-orange hue with a haze-free body and a thick finger of frothy tan foam. Quite a good looking beer.

Smell: interesting aroma of toasty, biscuity malt and roasted pumpkin flesh. There is spicing here as well, but it's pretty subdued with respect to a lot of the other pumpkin ales out there; I'm getting a little anise and cardamom in the mix. It's OK, but the dry, biscuity malt just doesn't work for me here; I think a little sweetness and caramel would have complemented the pumpkin and spice better.

Taste: almost identical in every way to the aroma, although the components are hitting me in a slightly different order. All the above comments apply: good, but for the biscuity malt component.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation and a perfectly reasonable creaminess. I like it.

Overall: many people may indeed like this beer, but the malt component just doesn't work for me. The pumpkin and spice, though, are quite decent.

11-18-2012 21:18:14 | More by flagmantho
Tilley4

Tennessee

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Received this brew from screamforme in a trade back late last year... I'm in the mood for something a little different tonight so I thought I'd pull this one out of the back of the fridge and see what it's all about...

Even after several months, the cinnamon and spices used here are still prevalent if somewhat muted... The bottle states that they used the flesh to brew this beer and I can tell. It seems to be floating around... There's an earthy quality to this that can be only be derived from the flesh used... It's not unpleasant, just unusual...

This is a nice malty subtle pumpkin ale... The spices aren't overly done although I'd like to see what they would have brought if this were some fresher... As is, it's a nice brew... Makes me long for orange leaves and a chill in the air...

05-26-2012 00:55:02 | More by Tilley4
LiquidAmber

4.05/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a medium to dark orange amber with a red tint. A half finger off-white head with moderate retention and light lacing. Aroma of caramel malt, a hint of pumpkin and pie spices. Taste starts with well integrated citrus hops and semi-dry malt flavor, finishes with subtle pumpkin, cinnamon, clove and light brown sugar. Very subtly flavor, but very nicely integrated and nice flavor progression. Medium bodied. I'm pleasantly surprised how good this tastes with the low key flavors. Nicely done.

03-01-2012 04:52:47 | More by LiquidAmber
Metalmonk

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to msubulldog25 for this one. Oh, treats from Portland...joy joy...

Pours a head that's dirty white, and the liquid is total pumpkin ale material, having that autumnal leaf-brown/burnt-amber sort of glow to it. Head doesn't last long, but the crown clings forever.

Aroma is promising, to say the least. Where lots of more commercial pumpkin ales are overloaded with spice, this one actually smells quite like the flesh of the squash itself. Like sticking your head inside your freshly trepanned jack-o-lantern. And then I read the label, and wouldn't you know it: "created with roasted whole pumpkin, pumpkin puree, and a touch of spices." The spices are nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon, seemingly. I don't know for sure, of course, because it doesn't say. One thing's for sure: it's smells very, very nice.

I suppose the taste couldn't live up to the smell, but it's nice anyway. There's a green, hoppy bitterness here that you don't often find in the style, and it lends an interesting slant to the more traditional pumpkin ale personality that's happening here. The spices remain as detected in the smell, with the cinnamon especially prominent but not at all cloying. The pumpkin itself is very much present with its musty, earthy, peculiar squash-y goodness. Fairly dry, with the hop bitterness teaming up with a kind of metallic edge in the finish. Maybe just a little too carbonated for my tastes, but it's hardly soda-like or abrasive. I just like a rounder, creamier pumpkin ale, although it takes on some creaminess with warming, and even provides a slight bit of pucker. Overall Stingy Jack is a comfort-beer that's a treat to sip while the days turn to dark early and the smell of damp and/or burning leaves hangs in the air.

Ever since I met the Pumking (Southern Tier), I've not found a pumpkin ale that truly satisfies like that one. But this is good for sure, and I love how the spices are dialed down in favor of letting some actual pumpkin in. So happy to have tried another Laurelwood beer, thanks again Brian!

11-09-2011 23:43:30 | More by Metalmonk
Arbitrator

3.75/5  rDev 0%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Courtesy of the ever-generous ramnuts. Thanks, Frank!

A: Pours a cloudy reddish-brown; it's surprisingly dark next to the other pumpkin ales we're having at the tasting. Mild lacing.

S: Sweeter than some of the other beers on the nose; brown sugar is prominent, setting a welcoming ground for a bouquet of nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice. Mild floral tones to it.

T: Sweet up front; I like brown sugar, and this resonates with me. The spice ornamentation works well, with distinct flavors of nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice, as noted in the aroma. What brings the beer down for me is a dash of bitterness in the finish. I guess the floral note in the nose is from an inclusion of some bittering hops.

M: Medium-bodied. The brown sugar flavors prevent the beer from finishing dry, but there is a tea-like astringency that gives the impression of a drying close.

O: It was one of the better ones at the tasting, but I would have preferred less of an emphasis on hops and more of a pumpkin pie approach. Laurelwood is teasing me with aspirations to greatness that never quite materialize.

11-08-2011 05:53:29 | More by Arbitrator
MaltsOfGlory

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pretty standard one and a half finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is just slightly off white and it looks pretty darn creamy and pillowy. We will see about lacing, but so far it looks good. The body is an extremely dark amber color, with some hints of orange as well. It's pretty darn cloudy, and super dark, so visibility is basically zero. The head is pretty much gone now, it's left a tiny layer of bubbles on top of the body, but overall it's not that great. Overall it's not a bad looking beer at all, good head to start out with and the body is nice and cloudy, we will see how the lacing goes, but so far it looks good overall. The smell is....eh, not stellar, good but not great. The pumpkin is for sure present, but it's not as powerful as I would like. Medium malts in terms of dark the dark roasty smell - they are for sure present as well, not sure if I'll dig a significant malt character in a pumpkin beer. A tiny tiny bit of spice in here too, but again, not as much as I would like. Overall it's not bad, but I want more pumpkin and spice and a little less malt. It's very close to a 4, but I think I'm going to have to give it a 3.5 for smell. Yeah, the taste is a whole lot like the smell. My first thought is that it's a little heavy on the malts. There is also a little bit of a alcohol kick to it, which is a bit irritating when trying to search for - and enjoy the pumpkin and spice. It is 7.5% ABV, but still, it's irritating. As for the pumpkin and spice on the taste...I mean they are there, but just barely, for sure less than the smell indicated. It's not a bad tasting beer, I just need more pumpkin and spice in a pumpkin beer. Overall not bad. The drinkability isn't bad, even though there is an alcohol kick, there beer is pretty drinkable. The mouthfeel is for sure good, it's not too watery, and it's big enough for the style for sure. The carbonation is just about perfect, not too high at all, but high enough to have a good bite. Overall a very good mouthfeel. Overall on this beer, not bad, it's got some good things, but the taste for sure needs more pumpkin and spice. Not a bad beer, but it's not outstanding either.

The appearance turned out pretty great, the lacing followed me super far down the glass, and the body and head were good from the start, the only problem was that the head didn't stick around too long. Overall though, it's a good looking beer, and a solid 4.

11-04-2011 04:14:22 | More by MaltsOfGlory
dirtylou

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

22oz bomber, $5.79 pricetag, split and served with a nice fall soup (buttnernut, wild rice, corn, andouille)

appearance: served in my hopleaf tulip, dark garnet body - rather dark for the style, light filmy beige head

smell: lots of spice on the nose - nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, ginger. roasted pumpkin and cream

taste: a really nice pumpkin ale - the NW kills this genre, but most people probably dont even realize it because the bottles arent distributed. I've had at least 4 pumpkin beers in the NW that kill the typical favorites (DFH + Southern Tier). Anyways - huge dose of roasted pumpkin, pumpkin seed, lots of spice - allspice, nutmeg, pepper, ginger, vanilla bean, cream. Really nice stuff.

mouthfeel: medium body, moderate spice

overall: great pumpkin ale

10-17-2011 02:15:44 | More by dirtylou
doughanson78

4.33/5  rDev +15.5%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Dark orange. One finger off white head with awesome retention and lacing. Some sediment floating, maybe allspice?

S: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Sweet pumpkin. Slight roastiness.

T: Sweet caramel and pumpkin upfront. The spices come through nicely in the middle with out being over spicy. Finishing with a great pie flavor.

M: Medium full bodied. Very creamy. Slight slickness. Low carbonation.

O: Very good. Not the best but right up there.

10-10-2011 01:21:29 | More by doughanson78
Spikester

3.75/5  rDev 0%

Medium cloudy brown with one finger of cream white head. Lacing is minimal. Smell is grains, maybe a touch of floral hops. Taste is sweet brown sugar with a quick slap of bitter hops. Alcohol is quite apparent in early tastes, then hides better as it warms. The pumpkin flavor is minimal yet real. No artificial flavors or any spices other than from the hops. Mouthfeel is alright, low to medium carbonation. Finish is just slightly dry and bitter. From a shared bomber.

10-01-2011 04:26:36 | More by Spikester
djeucalyptus

3.9/5  rDev +4%

pours a dark orange-tinged amber in the glass, with a frothy, thick two-plus-finger head that has great retention and leaves a good deal of webby lace down the glass. looks like fall.

aroma of spice subtly intermingles across the malty, caramely backbone. subdued and underwhelming, but the subtle spicing is just enough to recall the season.

taste is similarly fair. a bright citrusy hopping up front, followed by that mellow, sweet caramel warmth that rich malts bring. then a touch of vegetal squashiness and a subtle hint of spice... wishing for a touch more, but I'm glad there's no intense artificiality goin' on here.

mouth is fair, with a light to moderate body that has a good touch of slickness with some nice squashy bitterness.

overall, this an interesting and solid pumpkin ale, with much more of the squashy pumpkin character than spice, which is a nice refreshing change of pace. the combo of the hop profile and the veggie squashiness yield an almost harsh citric profile, but that's most likely just me... overall, impressive. I'll buy another one for sure before the season's up.

09-22-2011 21:01:16 | More by djeucalyptus
sdawson

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a growler filled today into a pint glass.

Appearance: Quite a beautiful beer -- shades of dark amber and caramel, red undertones, and a persistent thick lacing.

Smell: Surprisingly mild. As others have noted, it smells strongly of grain, backed up by a very subtle backbone of cinnamon and clove.

Taste: Fortunately, the taste is much more interesting than the smell. Astringent, lemony hops are at the forefront followed by a hint of molasses, brown sugar and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is full, not quite heavy, and significantly carbonated. Not quite what I expected, but it definitely works.

Stingy Jack Pumpkin Ale is a fine addition to the Laurelwood lineup, and I'm happy to live near the Portland pub in order to easily try it. I see this conceptually as a great transitional beer between summer and fall -- it's got all the brisk drinkability of a summer beer, but with a level of complexity and depth I'd expect from autumn.

Serving type: growler

09-14-2011 01:15:24 | More by sdawson
msubulldog25

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

It's rare to find a locally-brewed pumpkin ale, so when a new one sprouts up, a trip to a sorta-out-of-the way pub is warranted (sorry, Laurelwood, we really should visit more often...). A shapely imperial pintful.

A: The faintest cloudiness in a chestnut brown pour, a burnished copper glow when held to light. Barely any carbonation and a aptly-named 'stingy' head, quick to fade to a slim ring and loose film swirl. Dots and specks of 'lace', but nothing organized.

S: Served on the cold side in a taproom with the sweet/cereal scent of wort boil wafting from the adjacent brewhouse. That said, the nutbread sweetness and earthy spice amply fill the nose. You've just gotta hold tight and warm it up, then cram your nose inside the glass for that reward.

T: Amber waves of grain, toasty and well-laced with 'autumn' flavors of nutmeg, dry cinnamon and a husky woodsiness that's hard to point a finger at. Veers away from the sweeter 'pie'-type pumpkin ales, relying on a sensible dose of earthen spice. Thank you.

M: Crisped and cooled feel, not carbonated too much but lively with spicing. Medium body, though surprisingly lighter than expected for a 7-ish% ale. A hint of a strange metallic/brassy tang collects in the sides of the tongue.

D: Among the sturdier pumpkins I have tried, competitive with Elysian's Night Owl, even Weyerbacher's Imperal. Not an overly sweet or 'fake' version, just a pleasantly spiced and easy-to-drink-more-than-an-"I'm-stopping-at-one-today-but-coming-back-for-more" kind of beer. Thanks for satisfying my pumpkin cravings, Laurelwood; hope this will be a seasonal addition to the lineup.

10-21-2010 21:59:11 | More by msubulldog25
Docer

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

Just had this on-tap at their 51st. and Sandy location... and filled a growler.

- Dark copper, ruby brown... thin finger of off-white head down to a large ring with some scattered patches.

- I can smell the spice at a distance.... cinnamon.. clove... nice grain... really a big thick bed of grain, and squash... slightly roasty... rather light though.

- Nice amber malt... sweet, but not too sweet... and I am getting a lot of true raw pumpkin and squash flavors here.... with a touch of light spice... cinnamon... clove, light brown sugars... very clean, smooth, and balanced.

- Medium to light bodied... perfectly carbonated.... slightly chewy due to it's rather strengthy amber character.

- Overall this is a killer pumpkin brew... it's right up there with Elysians Night Owl... but yet stronger, tastes light just the same.... and is a real sneaker. Watch out for this one... it will sneak up and take you into the pumpkin.

---
09/23/2011

Appearance: (4.0)
- Nice dark semi-cloudy amber brew. Fluffy fingers of head which slowly settled to a spotty thin blanket of creamy delight. Looks like a lot will stick to the glass the whole way down. A very festive and Fall color.

Smell: (4.0)
- Light spicy flare with a lot of English-like malts, caramel, nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove. Pumpkin is present without overpowering the brew. Certainly seems to be a nice amount of grassy hops in there as well. This beer just smells like Fall.

Taste: (3.5)
- Certainly some big spice going on. Seems like a peppery clove and grassy hop combination here with some roasty pumpkin. The spices certainly are more forward. Nice caramel and bready malt does with some nice bright bitter hops. Has a nice tart squashy flare to round it out. Very nicely balanced.

Mouth Feel: (4.0)
- Overall a full bodied, almost creamy brew. Nicely chewy and drying, and not too chalky really. The dryness certainly makes me want to keep drinking it. Overall very good feel.

Overall: (3.5)
- This is a very solid pumpkin brew though a little bit more spice forward. It's certainly bittered with some healthy hops, and creates a rather dry brew in the finish. Not bad, and worth the purchase. Certainly a peppery flare to it.

10-15-2010 01:51:36 | More by Docer