1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Stingy Jack Pumpkin Ale - Laurelwood Public House & Brewery

Pumpkin Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

2010 (draught) ~ 7.1%
2011 (bottle) ~ 7.5%

Created with roasted whole pumpkin, toasted pumpkin seeds and organic pumpkin purée.

(Beer added by: Docer on 10-15-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.75/5  rDev 0%

Bring on Fall. Nice balance of Pumpkin to spice ratio.

THaefliger, Sep 12, 2014

johnnyboy76, Mar 08, 2014
3.69/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Hazy, deep, reddish amber with minimal head
S: Very aromatic pumpkin ale; spicy with hints of cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg; subtle pumpkin.
T: Good balance between spicy and pumpkin flavors, and leans a bit more towards the spicy side. It’s malty but not too sweet. Balanced in a very drinkable way.
M: Medium-bodied and creamy mouthfeel. The body also contributes to its drinkability.
O: I love a good pumpkin ale, and I’m also very picky about my pumpkin ales. I’d say this one can be placed within my top 10 favorites. Southern Tier’s Pumking still dominates as my ultimate favorite pumpkin ale, but I would definitely drink the Laurelwood Pumpkin Ale again. It’s one of the better ones from the West coast I tried this season.

tastymug, Nov 12, 2013

wchasse222, Nov 05, 2013

SCZ, Oct 25, 2013

oriolesfan4, Oct 18, 2013
3.91/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

First time taste. Bottled 8-Oct-13, tasting 13-Oct-13 - - the freshness is notable. Bottle to pint glass @ 38ºF - let stand 15m.

Appearance is slightly hazy, but a very nice amber color with a fairly light off-white head. Mix of small to large bubbles.

Smell is spicy, not much pumpkin and I can't pin down the spices right now (congested), but it has a pleasant smell and I think I'm getting a dominant clove nose.

Taste is very good, well balanced spice, pumpkin, and malt flavors and I don't feel like any of them dominate. I would personally look for just a touch more spice and pumpkin, but this is solid tasting beer none the less.

Mouthfeel is really nice, slightly creamy, moderate body, carbonation in this beer is spot on for me.

Overall I'd say this is very tasty beer. I think a warmer temperature does the beer some good, during my initial tastes the beer was pretty cold, but as it warmed up the spices started to shine through a little more and come up to a level I like, but I was still lacking the desired pumpkin and ginger profile. I would certainly buy this beer again however; nice work on this Laurelwood.

Distilled, Oct 13, 2013

Birdlegs, Sep 29, 2013

Rudes, Sep 22, 2013

Haybeerman, Sep 19, 2013

bernat1971, Sep 15, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I poured this from a bottle into a pint glass. I made sure that it was not too cold so that I would be able to experience the spices in full. This proved to be a dissapoint, as there were little to no spices present. I was confused at first and thought that maybe they had bottled the wrong brew into this pumpkin ale bottle. I soon realized my initial mistake was actually the purchase of this "pumpkin" ale. There was NO pumpkin aroma and or taste. Once again, the spices were BARELY present. Overall, I would say that this would make a decent amber ale, but a very poor pumpkin ale at best. The price charged for this dissapointment is gut wrenching. Laurelwood makes some great beer, but unfortunately, this is not one of them.

NOLTERN, Sep 11, 2013
3.55/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Burgundian (Publican).

Pours a dark amber.

Smell is faint pumpkin spices.

Taste is a bit more hoppy than the classic pumpkin beer, regular pumpkin spices are hidden behind the hop presence.

It’s less sweet but more drinkable than most. Pretty good beer.

Smurf2055, Jul 15, 2013

iKrystin, Jan 13, 2013

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clean, clear dark amber color with about 1/2 inch of off-white head that had OK retention and no lacing.

The first scent was that of pumpkin pie spice, with just a bit of malt sweetness in the background. The spice totally dominated the tongue, and, again, the malt was on the sweet side. I didn't actually pick up any pumpkin in the flavor.

The body was good and smooth, but the sharp spice lingered on the finish. Drinkability would depend on one's taste for the spices and pumpkin. Overall, a fairly typical take on the style. Admittedly, I don't really care for pumpkin, or pumpkin beers, but this was better than many I've had. YMMV. Worth trying if you see it.

beertunes, Jan 11, 2013

strongaf, Jan 03, 2013

jnoelani, Dec 05, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a dimpled mug.

Appearance: dark golden-orange hue with a haze-free body and a thick finger of frothy tan foam. Quite a good looking beer.

Smell: interesting aroma of toasty, biscuity malt and roasted pumpkin flesh. There is spicing here as well, but it's pretty subdued with respect to a lot of the other pumpkin ales out there; I'm getting a little anise and cardamom in the mix. It's OK, but the dry, biscuity malt just doesn't work for me here; I think a little sweetness and caramel would have complemented the pumpkin and spice better.

Taste: almost identical in every way to the aroma, although the components are hitting me in a slightly different order. All the above comments apply: good, but for the biscuity malt component.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation and a perfectly reasonable creaminess. I like it.

Overall: many people may indeed like this beer, but the malt component just doesn't work for me. The pumpkin and spice, though, are quite decent.

flagmantho, Nov 18, 2012