Green Mammoth Organic Imperial IPA - Laurelwood Public House & Brewery

Green Mammoth Organic Imperial IPAGreen Mammoth Organic Imperial IPA

Laurelwood Public House & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

2010 - released in limited edition 1-liter swingtop bottles and draught.

(Beer added by: djbreezy on 12-15-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

WaydeRafnel

07-25-2012 10:52:04 | More by WaydeRafnel
hopsbreath

2.93/5  rDev -24.9%

Thanks to MADhombrewer for hooking me up with a 1 liter bottle of this guy.

A: Crystal clear ceylon in color with a large sandstone head, great lacing is left on the way down. It looks pretty good. 4/5

S: Big sugary malts with a touch of the honey aroma I associate with Hopslam provide the substantial backbone. Some sweet tropical (see pineapple) hop presence makes me think simcoe although the label doesn't say any was used. So far so good. 4/5

T: This is where Laurelwood loses me with this beer. A rather astringent hop presence doesn't seem all that great. The large amounts of graham cracker reminiscent malt is not what I'm looking for in an IIPA. 2.5/5

M: Kind of heavy for my liking. Again its not great. 2/5

D: I don't really want another but I will try future batches to see if the recipe gets changed up. I would like to see a little less malt and a different hop profile. Its just not my thing right now. 3/5

12-21-2010 03:30:03 | More by hopsbreath

Kansas

12-14-2013 03:36:42 | More by jaydoc
LiquidAmber

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into a Black Raven pint glass. Pours a medium orange amber with a one finger fine white head with fantastic retention and lacing. Aroma of herbal hops, orange citrus and a hint of sweet malt. Taste is somewhat subdued compared to the aroma, dominated by sweet and caramel malt, citrus and pineapple hops, finishes with a long lasting hop bitterness that is not as intense as I was expecting from the aroma and start. Medium bodied with a hint of creaminess. I liked the malt backbone on this but would hope for a bit more hop forward flavor. A pleasant, easy to drink DIPA.

05-14-2012 04:34:55 | More by LiquidAmber

bluckbeyes

10-09-2012 00:43:39 | More by bluckbeyes
vkv822

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

a little confused as to the bottle size as it is labeled with "1 Pint 9.4 Fluid Ounces" which is 750ml, but this looks much larger than all of the other 750ml bottles I have. I've heard this is a 1 liter, which it definitely looks like. Green wax, flip-top.

anyways, that size bottle. . . into a 12oz snifter.

Pours a clear golden orange with light rising carbonation and an off-white quarter inch head. The head fades to a thin film with a frothy ring around the edge of the glass and great spotty lacing.

The aroma is of juicy tropical fruits with a caramel malt backing. There some faint pine notes as well. Really enjoyable.

The taste is of more tropical fruits from the hops with a pleasant malt backing. There is a light astringency in the finish that almost leads me to drop the score a little more, but I don't find it too distracting. There is a pleasant warming finish from the alcohol.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with with average carbonation. As it warms it does get a bit more boozy, though not too bad.

I was really unsure what to expect with the mediocre ratings this has received thus far, but I really enjoyed this. While I will say that there are definitely less expensive choices of equal value, this was still in my opinion a very well done DIPA. To each his own I suppose!

01-01-2011 04:19:54 | More by vkv822

Wisconsin

07-28-2014 02:13:14 | More by slavall
John_M

Oregon

Have not had this beer in a while, and for some reason my recollection of the beer is that it used to be hoppier, with a more agressive bitterness. In any event....

On tap right now at the Laurelwood Pizzeria location on 40th and Sandy.

The beer pours an amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive, consisting of some skunky pine and citrus. The beer sort of reminds me of a lighter version of the Maharaja. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose, with some good bitterness and a bit more malty sweetness then I normally expect and see in a West Coast DIPA. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and drinkability is OK. The beer is a bit heavy from the overdose of sweet malt IMO, but it's still pretty drinkable.

Nothing spectacular, but still a very nice DIPA from Laurelwood. Think I probably prefer the Workhorse IPA from them at this point.

07-27-2008 18:24:21 | More by John_M
HuskyinPDX

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

I just missed this one when it was first released and I never thought I would have the chance to try it. My jaw dropped when I saw a bottles of a new release sitting on the shelf at John's Market in Portland.
Bottle dated 3.27.12 enjoyed on 4.2.12

A - Pours a clear, darker orange with a two finger light tan head that is foamy. Great retention and lacing.

S - Strong hop florals, grass and green leaves.

T - Earthy grass and leaves. No citrus, but it still tastes great.

D - Slight bitterness up font with good carbonation and an average medium body true to style.

O - A solid DIPA, No citrus flavors, but still it still won me over. This might be the beer that started my obsession and led me to BA through a internet search.

04-07-2012 04:17:45 | More by HuskyinPDX
mactrail

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Fabulous aroma of big flowery hops with a spicy scent and a touch of honeysuckle. Attractive appearance with orangey amber color and a lively head in the Pilsner glass. Lots of foam and lacing, and sudsy mouthfeel.

Lots of sweet malt but more thin and sharp. This is plenty bitter to start, and it increases to a crescendo. Serious mango tang with the burnt pineapple note. Big blast of hops. This gets pretty acidic after some sipping. Starts out sweet, but has a harsh aftertaste.

This batch is pegged at 9 percent. Sippable for the intense hop flavor, but not one to merrily gulp. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Malt & Vine in Redmond.

06-26-2014 06:40:14 | More by mactrail
johnnyboy76

04-19-2012 13:21:38 | More by johnnyboy76
cherche

05-03-2014 22:41:23 | More by cherche
HopHead84

3.1/5  rDev -20.5%

12/17/2010

On tap at the NE Sandy location in a glass.

A: Dark golden with a small white head, shit bar pour. Decent retention and scattered lacing.

S: Served far too cold, make sure to set aside half an hour out of your day when drinking at Laurelwood to allow the beer to warm to an acceptable temperature. Well, 20 minutes later I still could hardly smell the beer, was it the temperature, or this glass? Then it dawned on me, I had a clean Bruery tulip with me. So, like a snob, I could be seen repouring a Laurelwood beer into a Bruery tulip, which, I'm sure broke some Oregon law or moral code.  Social convention be damned, I drove here to try this beer and I won't be thwarted. Aroma is still somewhat muted after all this, but at least I can smell it. Orange, pine, and floral aromatics. Lightly sweet with a touch of caramel, and maybe a dash of peach. Just not very expressive.

T: Upper moderate bitterness and a dash of evident alcohol, though quite well hidden for 10% and noticeable mostly through warming on the palate and in my chest. Hop character is pithy grapefruit and some orange flesh and rind with equal parts pine resin. On the whole, a dry beer, but there is an ephemeral caramel malt sweetness for sure. I detect slight grassy notes. Finish exhibits astringency, upper moderate bitterness, and alcohol.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation, sticky mouthfeel with some astringency and alcohol warming.

Overall: Not as good as I expected but still enjoyable, I suppose my high hopes are partially to blame. In its favor, it drinks like a DIPA in the 8% range, but the hops aren't all that expressive or vibrant, and I found myself searching for aroma and flavor. The word insipid popped into my head more than once while I was drinking this beverage. Perhaps this is better out of the bottle, but I won't be buying one so I'll never know.

12-17-2010 23:14:28 | More by HopHead84