Green Mammoth Organic Imperial IPA - Laurelwood Public House & Brewery

Green Mammoth Organic Imperial IPAGreen Mammoth Organic Imperial IPA

Laurelwood Public House & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: ccrida on 07-07-2008

2010 - released in limited edition 1-liter swingtop bottles and draught.
Reviews by Hopmodium:

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Thanks to MADhombrewer for hooking me up with a 1 liter bottle of this guy.

A: Crystal clear ceylon in color with a large sandstone head, great lacing is left on the way down. It looks pretty good. 4/5

S: Big sugary malts with a touch of the honey aroma I associate with Hopslam provide the substantial backbone. Some sweet tropical (see pineapple) hop presence makes me think simcoe although the label doesn't say any was used. So far so good. 4/5

T: This is where Laurelwood loses me with this beer. A rather astringent hop presence doesn't seem all that great. The large amounts of graham cracker reminiscent malt is not what I'm looking for in an IIPA. 2.5/5

M: Kind of heavy for my liking. Again its not great. 2/5

D: I don't really want another but I will try future batches to see if the recipe gets changed up. I would like to see a little less malt and a different hop profile. Its just not my thing right now. 3/5

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into a Black Raven pint glass. Pours a medium orange amber with a one finger fine white head with fantastic retention and lacing. Aroma of herbal hops, orange citrus and a hint of sweet malt. Taste is somewhat subdued compared to the aroma, dominated by sweet and caramel malt, citrus and pineapple hops, finishes with a long lasting hop bitterness that is not as intense as I was expecting from the aroma and start. Medium bodied with a hint of creaminess. I liked the malt backbone on this but would hope for a bit more hop forward flavor. A pleasant, easy to drink DIPA.

4.37/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +24%

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +11%

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

a little confused as to the bottle size as it is labeled with "1 Pint 9.4 Fluid Ounces" which is 750ml, but this looks much larger than all of the other 750ml bottles I have. I've heard this is a 1 liter, which it definitely looks like. Green wax, flip-top.

anyways, that size bottle. . . into a 12oz snifter.

Pours a clear golden orange with light rising carbonation and an off-white quarter inch head. The head fades to a thin film with a frothy ring around the edge of the glass and great spotty lacing.

The aroma is of juicy tropical fruits with a caramel malt backing. There some faint pine notes as well. Really enjoyable.

The taste is of more tropical fruits from the hops with a pleasant malt backing. There is a light astringency in the finish that almost leads me to drop the score a little more, but I don't find it too distracting. There is a pleasant warming finish from the alcohol.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with with average carbonation. As it warms it does get a bit more boozy, though not too bad.

I was really unsure what to expect with the mediocre ratings this has received thus far, but I really enjoyed this. While I will say that there are definitely less expensive choices of equal value, this was still in my opinion a very well done DIPA. To each his own I suppose!

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Have not had this beer in a while, and for some reason my recollection of the beer is that it used to be hoppier, with a more agressive bitterness. In any event....

On tap right now at the Laurelwood Pizzeria location on 40th and Sandy.

The beer pours an amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive, consisting of some skunky pine and citrus. The beer sort of reminds me of a lighter version of the Maharaja. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose, with some good bitterness and a bit more malty sweetness then I normally expect and see in a West Coast DIPA. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and drinkability is OK. The beer is a bit heavy from the overdose of sweet malt IMO, but it's still pretty drinkable.

Nothing spectacular, but still a very nice DIPA from Laurelwood. Think I probably prefer the Workhorse IPA from them at this point.

Green Mammoth Organic Imperial IPA from Laurelwood Public House & Brewery