Green Mammoth Organic Imperial IPA - Laurelwood Public House & Brewery

Green Mammoth Organic Imperial IPAGreen Mammoth Organic Imperial IPA

Laurelwood Public House & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: ccrida on 07-07-2008

2010 - released in limited edition 1-liter swingtop bottles and draught.
to view more.
Ratings: 56 | Reviews: 16
Reviews by boralyl:
4.11/5  rDev +5.1%

2012 22oz bottling. Bottled 3/27/2012.

A - Pours an inch of creamy white head. The head has nice retention and leaves copious lacing. The beer is clear with a golden-orange hue.

S - The aroma is full of hops. Floral aromas stand out the most, but there is also a little cit of grapefruit, and citrus present. There is also a very subtle sweetness.

M - Medium in body with moderate carbonation. The beer has a creamy finish and the hops oils coat the inside of your mouth.

T - The taste has a strong floral hop component up front. It then imparts a grapefruit flavor and bitterness along with a tiny notes of citrus. There is a little alcohol burn, but overall it's nicely hidden. No real malt character to speak of. There is a medium bitterness in the finish.

Quite a good beer, and much different than your typical citrusy imperial IPAs. I applaud Laurelwood for this beer, but wish they would bring back their Work Horse IPA.

Thanks to MADhombrewer for hooking me up with a 1 liter bottle of this guy.

A: Crystal clear ceylon in color with a large sandstone head, great lacing is left on the way down. It looks pretty good. 4/5

S: Big sugary malts with a touch of the honey aroma I associate with Hopslam provide the substantial backbone. Some sweet tropical (see pineapple) hop presence makes me think simcoe although the label doesn't say any was used. So far so good. 4/5

T: This is where Laurelwood loses me with this beer. A rather astringent hop presence doesn't seem all that great. The large amounts of graham cracker reminiscent malt is not what I'm looking for in an IIPA. 2.5/5

M: Kind of heavy for my liking. Again its not great. 2/5

D: I don't really want another but I will try future batches to see if the recipe gets changed up. I would like to see a little less malt and a different hop profile. Its just not my thing right now. 3/5

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into a Black Raven pint glass. Pours a medium orange amber with a one finger fine white head with fantastic retention and lacing. Aroma of herbal hops, orange citrus and a hint of sweet malt. Taste is somewhat subdued compared to the aroma, dominated by sweet and caramel malt, citrus and pineapple hops, finishes with a long lasting hop bitterness that is not as intense as I was expecting from the aroma and start. Medium bodied with a hint of creaminess. I liked the malt backbone on this but would hope for a bit more hop forward flavor. A pleasant, easy to drink DIPA.

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

a little confused as to the bottle size as it is labeled with "1 Pint 9.4 Fluid Ounces" which is 750ml, but this looks much larger than all of the other 750ml bottles I have. I've heard this is a 1 liter, which it definitely looks like. Green wax, flip-top.

anyways, that size bottle. . . into a 12oz snifter.

Pours a clear golden orange with light rising carbonation and an off-white quarter inch head. The head fades to a thin film with a frothy ring around the edge of the glass and great spotty lacing.

The aroma is of juicy tropical fruits with a caramel malt backing. There some faint pine notes as well. Really enjoyable.

The taste is of more tropical fruits from the hops with a pleasant malt backing. There is a light astringency in the finish that almost leads me to drop the score a little more, but I don't find it too distracting. There is a pleasant warming finish from the alcohol.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with with average carbonation. As it warms it does get a bit more boozy, though not too bad.

I was really unsure what to expect with the mediocre ratings this has received thus far, but I really enjoyed this. While I will say that there are definitely less expensive choices of equal value, this was still in my opinion a very well done DIPA. To each his own I suppose!

Have not had this beer in a while, and for some reason my recollection of the beer is that it used to be hoppier, with a more agressive bitterness. In any event....

On tap right now at the Laurelwood Pizzeria location on 40th and Sandy.

The beer pours an amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive, consisting of some skunky pine and citrus. The beer sort of reminds me of a lighter version of the Maharaja. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose, with some good bitterness and a bit more malty sweetness then I normally expect and see in a West Coast DIPA. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and drinkability is OK. The beer is a bit heavy from the overdose of sweet malt IMO, but it's still pretty drinkable.

Nothing spectacular, but still a very nice DIPA from Laurelwood. Think I probably prefer the Workhorse IPA from them at this point.

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

I just missed this one when it was first released and I never thought I would have the chance to try it. My jaw dropped when I saw a bottles of a new release sitting on the shelf at John's Market in Portland.
Bottle dated 3.27.12 enjoyed on 4.2.12

A - Pours a clear, darker orange with a two finger light tan head that is foamy. Great retention and lacing.

S - Strong hop florals, grass and green leaves.

T - Earthy grass and leaves. No citrus, but it still tastes great.

D - Slight bitterness up font with good carbonation and an average medium body true to style.

O - A solid DIPA, No citrus flavors, but still it still won me over. This might be the beer that started my obsession and led me to BA through a internet search.

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fabulous aroma of big flowery hops with a spicy scent and a touch of honeysuckle. Attractive appearance with orangey amber color and a lively head in the Pilsner glass. Lots of foam and lacing, and sudsy mouthfeel.

Lots of sweet malt but more thin and sharp. This is plenty bitter to start, and it increases to a crescendo. Serious mango tang with the burnt pineapple note. Big blast of hops. This gets pretty acidic after some sipping. Starts out sweet, but has a harsh aftertaste.

This batch is pegged at 9 percent. Sippable for the intense hop flavor, but not one to merrily gulp. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Malt & Vine in Redmond.

3.11/5  rDev -20.5%

12/17/2010

On tap at the NE Sandy location in a glass.

A: Dark golden with a small white head, shit bar pour. Decent retention and scattered lacing.

S: Served far too cold, make sure to set aside half an hour out of your day when drinking at Laurelwood to allow the beer to warm to an acceptable temperature. Well, 20 minutes later I still could hardly smell the beer, was it the temperature, or this glass? Then it dawned on me, I had a clean Bruery tulip with me. So, like a snob, I could be seen repouring a Laurelwood beer into a Bruery tulip, which, I'm sure broke some Oregon law or moral code.  Social convention be damned, I drove here to try this beer and I won't be thwarted. Aroma is still somewhat muted after all this, but at least I can smell it. Orange, pine, and floral aromatics. Lightly sweet with a touch of caramel, and maybe a dash of peach. Just not very expressive.

T: Upper moderate bitterness and a dash of evident alcohol, though quite well hidden for 10% and noticeable mostly through warming on the palate and in my chest. Hop character is pithy grapefruit and some orange flesh and rind with equal parts pine resin. On the whole, a dry beer, but there is an ephemeral caramel malt sweetness for sure. I detect slight grassy notes. Finish exhibits astringency, upper moderate bitterness, and alcohol.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation, sticky mouthfeel with some astringency and alcohol warming.

Overall: Not as good as I expected but still enjoyable, I suppose my high hopes are partially to blame. In its favor, it drinks like a DIPA in the 8% range, but the hops aren't all that expressive or vibrant, and I found myself searching for aroma and flavor. The word insipid popped into my head more than once while I was drinking this beverage. Perhaps this is better out of the bottle, but I won't be buying one so I'll never know.

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%

From tasting notes I jotted down on an iphone at the laurelwood public house on this 20th of july, 2010.

A: Pale orange. Exudes light and color.

S: Citrus and a little floral. Healthy amounts of cascade hops.

T: Very well balanced. Immediate spice and citrus, subdued bready malt comes through in the finish. Doesn't quite live up to IIPA expectations of hop aggressiveness, however.

F: Very light, creamy, fizz. Perfect summer beer.

D: The 8.8% ABV is very well hidden. Maybe the most poundable IIPA out there.

2.55/5  rDev -34.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A generous gift from ramnuts. Thanks, Frank!

This beer had two things going for it: the bottle is essentially a 1L growler, and it's waxed. I'm in love.

A: Pours a clear amber with garnet tones in the glass. The beer is well-carbed, with a frothy 2" head filling my Hair of the Dog tulip. It retains surprisingly well, leaving thick, sticky lace down the sides of the glass as it goes.

S: While it's not the most pungent beer, I manage to pick up elements of orange pith, pine needles, and jasmine. At times the beer appears to exhale and surprise me with a sudden puff of fresh, vibrant citrus; it actually reminds me of orange juice during these moments.

T: It has the straightforward West Coast IPA profile: orange pith, pine needles, and a slightly floral (jasmine is what it reminds me of) flavor. A small apricot taste, as well. The malt is mostly restrained; it contributes a touch of caramel and some pale malt sweetness, but both have been largely fermented out.

M: Light-medium in viscosity, and lacking in body. The taste falls off very fast, resulting in a watery finish. Very dissatisfying. As it warms, it firms up a little, but not by much. It also gets boozier, so that's a wash.

D: Frank apologized in advance, as he tried the beer after it shipped but before it arrived. I assumed he was being overly harsh. I still think so, but not by a large margin.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Served in a small pils glass at Laurelwood Pizza Company, Green Mammoth is a clear burnt gold with a small, very creamy white head that left heavy lace.

Smell is very pungent hops, really more like cannabis then anything else, but generally of the woodsy, piny variety.

Taste is pretty good, loads of hop flavor without too much bitterness, very woodsy and spicy, not as resiny as it smelled, but a smoother hop blast. There is also a big malty backbone that isn't very sweet, overall pretty balanced for a big hop bomb, but something about the spiciness didn't totally blow me away as much as I hoped, as I'm quite found of the regular Green Elephant.

Mouthfeel is oily, on the thicker side.

Drinkability is pretty good, the ABV is very well hidden, and the hops are aggressively satisfying without destroying the palate. Good, but not my favorite DIPA. I also didn't care for the fact that it only came in the small glass for $4.50, when it really wasn't all that big for a DIPA.

4.09/5  rDev +4.6%

Had on tap at the Green Dragon. Pours an unremarkable amber with a wonderful floral hop nose. I was blown away by the taste. Incredible floral and citrus hops, some pine, good bitterness at the edge of being too much but stays in a very pleasant and powerful zone, with a sweet and bready malt balance. I am shocked at how much I like this beer.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Poured a nice goldenish ornage color with excellent carbonation leaving a big white cap and bubbles

S: Smelled l;eafy green, some citrus and gras

T: Tasted like it just came off a randall. Very fresh, crisp leafy green hops with hints of citrus, floral, a dryness on the end with a pronounced hop bite

M: Good, easy to drink, balanced, medioum body

D: Good easy drinking IIPA

4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

wax sealed pop top bottle

appearance - generous white head that settles quickly but leaves good retention on the sides of the glass, some weblike lacing at the top of the glass, transparent amber in color

smell - pungent floral and citrus hops on the nose, some notes of the sweet malt body are present as well

taste - hops right up front that touch the tongue and swath the palate, moderate hop bitterness, west coast ipa style, subtle caramel malts add complexity to the big hop profile

mouthfeel - exceptionally smooth for such a huge ipa, lingering hop resin on the mouth, full bodied, well carbonated, some dryness in the finish per the hops

///

From Laurelwood: "This is the Imperial (read big 'ol) version of our Green Elephant Organic IPA. This beer is all about hops, hops and more hops. Cascade, Ahtanum and Amarillo hops added in the kettle, hop back and fermenter give this beer it's kick. Warning--not for the faint-of-palate."

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Glad to be able to taste this relatively rare beer - thanks to Erika at my local bottleshop.

This pours and smells like most normal Imperioal IPAs (if there is such a thing). not overal floral or citrus but definitely some significant hops in there.

Great balance between the malt and hops. I personally prefer more of a Cascade based IPA but this is pretty good.

You can tell that this is Imperial when you get some hot alcohol tones very late in the taste.

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

On tap at Laurelwood 51st/Sandy 3/21/12 release day, $4.50 for 12 oz. pour.

One finger white head, medium dissipation with good lacing over clear deep gold body, no visible carbonation. Citrus skunky nose, big dose of crystal malt which is also forward tastewise, some citrus, light tropical. Taste mirrors nose, leading to bracing bitter finish. Medium light mouthfeel, light effervescence. To be honest, I'd rather drink Workhorse.

to view more.